Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

No sound from receiver when watching TV but sound when playing Xbox One. Help?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-04-16, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

Ok, so I got a new tv. An LG UH658500. I have a Sony receiver, an LG blu ray player, an Xbox One, a PS4, and a Directv box.

I get a picture for the Directv box but no sound. The Xbox is getting both. What am I doing wrong?

The tv has three HDMI inputs. One marked Arc. The receiver has the blu Ray, ps4, and Xbox going through it. I'm not sure where to plug the directv box. The receiver also has a spot marked Arc.

It was working before with my old Samsung tv. I wish I'd taken a picture of the configuration.
Old 08-04-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: No sound from receiver when watching TV but sound when playing Xbox One. Help?

Congrats on your new TV!

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel, it would be used to send audio from the TV back to the receiver. Examples of use would be Built in Netflix App could send audio from the TV to the Receiver. Typically you need to enable it on both the TV and the receiver for it to work.

You don't mention where you have the DirectTV receiver plugged in, directly into the TV or into the Receiver?

If into the TV make sure the volume on the TV is turned up. Also make sure the audio setting in the TV menu is set to internal speakers, it is also possible that you could have the TV send audio via ARC to the receiver from an external source.

If into the Receiver it should work just like your other sources. Make sure the audio output is setup to go via HDMI.

If you can provide more details on what is connected where might be able to help more.
Old 08-04-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: No sound from receiver when watching TV but sound when playing Xbox One. Help?

Did anything change in your setup other than simply putting a new tv in place of the old tv? menaing you unplugged the hdmi cable from the receiver to the old tv and plugged it into the new tv?
Old 08-12-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

I fixed it. Not sure how but I did. Thanks guys.
Old 08-12-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

You're welcome!