Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

Old 07-08-16, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

OLIVE FILMS BOGO

Code: OLIVEBOGO

Fantastic Prices...so glad I held off on a number of Criterion titles. I've been waiting for this sale—around $10 each!

Picked up

Cujo
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
Sometimes They Come Back
High Noon*
Eight Men Out**
The Quiet Man
Mandingo
Caveman
Blue Sky
Lord of the Flies
Flawless
Bound
McLintock
Undertow
Tales That Witness Madness
Class

*Warning 4K version being prepared for release in the fall.
**Warning stretching issue reported on this release.

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-11-16 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-08-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 614 Posts
Re: OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

Holy cow. Really good deal.

Any horror or exploitation type movies that are must haves? There are a lot of titles I haven;t heard of or seen before.
Old 07-08-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Thanks for the link! Ive been avoiding Olive titles like the plague since forever thanks to their lack of special features and high prices, so this sale hits the spot. Problem is, that catalog has approx. 75 titles I'd like to see (or own, of the ones I've already seen), which means some pruning will be necessary against hopes that they might repeat this sale in the future. Thankfully, DD seems to have reinstated the ability for Canadian buyers to use Canadian billing addresses and U.S. shipping addresses. I had to stop buying from them years ago when they disallowed the practise for some reason.
Old 07-08-16, 06:30 PM
Banned

This is the best deal I can recall on Olive titles. I had to whittle down my list considerably and just grabbed the 8 titles I've been waiting for....especially glad I waited on "Dr. Terrors House of Horrors." To the best of my knowledge, this is the cheapest it has been since being released—on average each title is just $10. I am more than pleased. I guess I could have grouped my purchases by price, but I just wanted to get the order in immediately—plus it is tax free and free shipping...

Lets see...in the last two months we got the Screen Archives Entertainment Sale, two awesome Barnes & Noble Sales and now the Olive Films sale. I am happy that I passed on those lame Scream Factory and Kino sales—this one is the real deal. But man oh man I have no disposable income left for Blu-rays till the fall...but then again...?

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-09-16 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-08-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

FYI Olive will soon be releasing new versions of High Noon and Johnny Guitar with new 4K transfers and new extras under Olive Signature brand. These are the first in this new line. Release date September 20.

Here is the press release from Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/comm...r.348416/#HIGH

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-08-16 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 08:51 PM

Did two orders grouped by price.

Picked up some cool stuff: Stone Cold, Yellowbeard, Corsican Brothers, Erik the Viking, Monster Squad, Deadly Prey, Highlander 2, Running Man...will probably dip back in for some John Wayne stuff for my dad. I know he has In Old Oklahoma on his list...
Old 07-08-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up:

Baby It's You
Best Seller
Boost
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
Teachers
Thrashin

Thanks!
Old 07-08-16, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Classic Films
FYI Olive will soon be releasing new versions of High Noon and Johnny Guitar with new 4K transfers and new extras under Olive Signature brand. These are the first in this new line. Release date September 20.

Here is the press release from Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/comm...r.348416/#HIGH
Yes, thank you, I saw that. To be honest, the current BD has received high marks and a new 4k scan is likely to be far more expensive than $10. I really prefer the original poster art on the current release and if I am compelled to upgrade I'll just trade my disc in locally. And I rarely see a big enough improvement in my enjoyment of a film simply because fine detail is slightly improved. I leave that to the more anal retentive collectors!

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-08-16 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 12:09 AM

Couldn't resist. Had to pick up a few titles that I've been waiting to get at a decent price. Thanks OP.

Eight Men Out
Flying Disc Man from Mars
Hollywood Shuffle
Meanwhile
Old 07-09-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great, thanks for posting this!

In for:

Phase IV
The Big Combo
Trust
The Unbelievable Truth

Didn't think I'd find those Hal Hartley films so cheap.
Old 07-09-16, 01:03 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

got

The Boost
Kill Me Again
Child's Play (1972)
Eight Men Out

Hope to do another order.
Old 07-09-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Yeah, pretty good deal.

I'll probably pick up four or six. Right now I'm looking at Running Man, Breeders, Moontrap, and Hangar 18.
Old 07-09-16, 08:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Any idea how long the sale lasts? I couldn't spot anything on the DD site. --Peter
Old 07-09-16, 09:13 AM
Banned

I looked for an expiration date but there doesn't seem to be one. I just tried to order another group of titles and the site looks to have crashed... it says "closed for maintenance" ...I wouldn't procrastinate if there's a few titles you really want.
Old 07-09-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

There are many, many interesting films in this Olive Films sale. If you enjoy the Highwaymen with Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, the 1986 update of Stagecoach is a must own.

Here are screenshots and review for a number of Olive Films discs in this sale:

http://doblu.com/tag/olive-films/

My favorites include Clark Gable's The King and Four Queens, Serial with a rare Christopher Lee cameo, The Trip with its score provided by The Electric Flag (Michael Bloomfield), and Class. These all offer solid A/V quality with few special features.

Beat Street is also in this sale but I can't lie, the HD transfer is badly dated.

http://doblu.com/2016/02/22/beat-street-blu-ray-review/
Old 07-09-16, 04:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So many titles I would love to get, but lack of special features and/or subtitles is really irksome...and some of these have been or will shortly be released in the UK by BFI or Arrow or Eureka in much better editions. As bare-bones releases, these should easily be priced under $10 (imho). With that out of the way, The Boogens is a solid release with nice bonus features (and original art on the cover). --peter
Old 07-09-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
So many titles I would love to get, but lack of special features and/or subtitles is really irksome...and some of these have been or will shortly be released in the UK by BFI or Arrow or Eureka in much better editions. As bare-bones releases, these should easily be priced under $10 (imho). With that out of the way, The Boogens is a solid release with nice bonus features (and original art on the cover). --peter
Hear you. An Olive release is rarely worth more than $10 and to this date, I have NEVER paid more than $10 for ANY of their titles, which I have collected sparsely from various sites ONLY when priced under $10. This is the first time am paying more than $10 per title (like $10.50) only because there are so many in one place that I don't have to look for elsewhere. Expensive month it has been, got 18 titles (CA Sales tax could have covered another couple of titles easily, damn the high ST)
Old 07-09-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for the post! Unfortunately for me, the only title I don't already own that I would want is Voodoo Man (& it's backordered).

There are a few good titles there I've already bought.
Old 07-09-16, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Hear you. An Olive release is rarely worth more than $10 and to this date, I have NEVER paid more than $10 for ANY of their titles, which I have collected sparsely from various sites ONLY when priced under $10. This is the first time am paying more than $10 per title (like $10.50) only because there are so many in one place that I don't have to look for elsewhere. Expensive month it has been, got 18 titles (CA Sales tax could have covered another couple of titles easily, damn the high ST)
Yeah, I patiently waited for a sale like this even though there were titles I wanted badly. I don't have to pay sales tax via Deep Discount, so these would have to drop to about $9.63 via Amazon to match this deal. In most cases, I'm not a huge fan of supplements which tend to be superfluous fluff that add little to the viewing experience. Bernardo Bertolucci's "1900" is loaded, and while a bit more than $10, what I've learned about this release really has me excited. While I would agree that contents far outweigh the packaging, I am also particular about the cover art. I love that Olive Films uses the original one-sheets to produce the inserts. That said, I'm not sure there are many "must-haves" left in their catalog for me but I am excited as hell to finally get some of these into my collection.

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-09-16 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the post, Aaron! Until the Camel guy is able to track DD's prices, I've been trying to visit their site periodically, but lately (for once) have been spending more time watching than buying and almost missed this. Excluding some potential blind buys and double-dips, my Olive wants list is now nearly empty. I picked up

Betty Boop V4
Appointment with Crime
City That Never Sleeps
The Red Menace
Strangers in the Night
Cry Danger
Crack in the World
Flying Disc Man From Mars
The Invisible Monster
Voodoo Man

And all without prime!

7 of the 10 are on backorder, so hopefully Olive and DD come through. I recall some horror stories about cancelled orders, but have had 100% success with DD over the last year.

Now that I succumbed and bought Voodoo Man (IMHO not worth more than ~$10) , hopefully Olive will release Return of the Ape Man, the Lugosi title I wish they'd have sold first.
Old 07-10-16, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thetao
Thanks for the post, Aaron! Until the Camel guy is able to track DD's prices, I've been trying to visit their site periodically, but lately (for once) have been spending more time watching than buying and almost missed this. Excluding some potential blind buys and double-dips, my Olive wants list is now nearly empty.

And all without prime!

7 of the 10 are on backorder, so hopefully Olive and DD come through. I recall some horror stories about cancelled orders, but have had 100% success with DD over the last year.

Now that I succumbed and bought Voodoo Man (IMHO not worth more than ~$10) , hopefully Olive will release Return of the Ape Man, the Lugosi title I wish they'd have sold first.
You are quite welcome! But who is Camel Guy and what is his website?

I was on-the-fence about purchasing "High Noon" in my initial order because Olive Films is releasing a 4K version later this year. I called customer service yesterday to see if I could switch titles but after a quick check, the CSR said my items had already shipped and I should receive them next week! I am not charged tax and their policy for "free shipping" is still a minimum $25 purchase whereas Amazon requires a minimum $50 purchase and sends non-prime members to the back of the line. And to top it all off, unless you read carefully, you don't know the quality of items shipped from Amazon because they provide service for other vendors who peddle items of varying quality. Hey, Amazon still has the occasional real deal, but other than those situations, they've largely lost my business. I've spent a whole lotta cash at Barnes & Noble, Deep Discount and Best Buy over the last year because they appreciate my business.
Old 07-10-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

If they have the licensing, I really wish Olive would do a BR of the COMPLETE Republic Betty Boop VHS box. The Olive's are haphazard in presentation at best; & that VHS box is the ONLY attempt I know of to do Betty right.

BTW, a few I recommend are Ramrod (Veronica Lake), Harlow, Overland Stage Raiders (Louise Brooks in a talky!), The File On Thelma Jordan, Fire Maidens From Outer Space (for fun, not quality), The Terror (best print I've seen), & Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye.
Old 07-11-16, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by AaronSch
You are quite welcome! But who is Camel Guy and what is his website?
http://camelcamelcamel.com is a long-running Amazon price tracker, but lately I've been using it only for European Amazon sites. He also used to run trackers for Best Buy and NewEgg, I think, but I'm wondering if they're now defunct? I was going to ask if he ever considered a Deep Discount tracker.
Old 07-11-16, 02:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
If they have the licensing, I really wish Olive would do a BR of the COMPLETE Republic Betty Boop VHS box. The Olive's are haphazard in presentation at best; & that VHS box is the ONLY attempt I know of to do Betty right...
I vaguely remember Steve Stanchfield over at Thunderbean animation commenting about this...he's the guy who would do it right.
Old 07-11-16, 04:47 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

The only one in that collection I was remotely interested in, Moontrap @ $20.97, I picked up at Amazon for $13.99 last November.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.