Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

"Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

"Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Old 10-01-15, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

As a kid in the '70's & early '80's, one of my favorite comic series was Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu. The series was pseudo-combination of James Bond-like espionage/action, Kung Fu fighting, and eastern mysticism. It featured fantastic artwork by artists like Mike Zeck, Paul Gulacy, and the late Gene Day. I don't have any of my individual floppies anymore, so had been wanting the comic to be reprinted. However, we haven't seen reprints of this due to copyright/licensing issues (primarily involving the Fu Manchu character) - until now.

Here's info. confirming that the series will be reprinted by Marvel in Omnibus form, starting Summer 2016 - as you can see from the below link, they're planning on four volumes here:

https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/647190823403155456

Last edited by TheDude; 10-02-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-01-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

That's cool--I love to see stuff like that get cleared.

Can Micronauts be far behind?
Old 10-01-15, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

I wonder if they are also going to include the What if? stories that haven't been reprinted for the the same rights reason.

I believe IDW or Image was interested in reprinting Micronauts, but similar to ROM, some of the issues featured appearances by Marvel characters. And Bug still owned by Marvel and was featured in the Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 run
Old 10-02-15, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I wonder if they are also going to include the What if? stories that haven't been reprinted for the the same rights reason.

I believe IDW or Image was interested in reprinting Micronauts, but similar to ROM, some of the issues featured appearances by Marvel characters. And Bug still owned by Marvel and was featured in the Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 run
Good question about What if? We don't know at this time - the solicitation for this Omnibus isn't out yet. However, I hope they include these too.

I would also really like to see Micronauts & ROM Spaceknight reprinted as well. Both were great series, and I have fond - but dim - memories of reading these back in the day. However, I believe reprints of both of these are hampered by the toy licenses associated with the properties.

I hope everything gets straightened out with these other two series. A dream come true will be the entire MOKF, ROM, and Micronauts series collected in Omnibuses - sitting on my bookshelf

Last edited by TheDude; 10-02-15 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm just glad that there are people who are still thinking about these old series and willing and able to work to get them cleared.
Old 10-02-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have every single issue of the original series (and the great What If #16, which was my intro to the character) but will still consider picking up the Omnibuses.

I'm already pre-sold if the complete Deadly Hands of Kung Fu is reprinted. These are often priced so high that I'm missing enough issues to make an Omnibus look like a bargain.
Old 10-02-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Aren't there issues of Marvel Team-Up and Two-In-One that Marvel has never reprinted over the rights issue?
Old 10-02-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Finally! Great news, I can't wait!

Originally Posted by Preterite

I'm already pre-sold if the complete Deadly Hands of Kung Fu is reprinted. These are often priced so high that I'm missing enough issues to make an Omnibus look like a bargain.
I don't think it's likely that they will reprint the whole mags, but I'm assuming they will at least reprint the Shang Chi stories, like they reprinted the Dracula B&W mag stories in the Tomb of Dracula Omnibus and Essential.
Old 10-02-15, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
Aren't there issues of Marvel Team-Up and Two-In-One that Marvel has never reprinted over the rights issue?
Yes, I believe so. I'm not extremely familiar with those issues, however.

Note there is another thread discussing this at much greater length on the Marvel Masterworks forum - that's where I first got the info:

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...1#.Vg778_lViko

Originally Posted by cultshock
I don't think it's likely that they will reprint the whole mags, but I'm assuming they will at least reprint the Shang Chi stories, like they reprinted the Dracula B&W mag stories in the Tomb of Dracula Omnibus and Essential.
Yes, there's a lot of speculation on this other thread regarding whether or not the b&w DHOKF will be reprinted. There are four volumes planned, but it's not clear whether the color issues will take up 3 or 4 volumes. Yes - logically, the b&w issues, if they're included in these Omnis, would be in one dedicated volume.

Last edited by TheDude; 10-02-15 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There was only 34 issues of DHOKF but I don't know if Shang Chi appeared in every issue. It would be cool if they did take out the Shang Chi stories and combine them into one book. There were a few Iron Fist appearances in there, also.

Old 10-03-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Shang-Chi started off as the lead feature and was eventually booted in favor of a white guy in ballet slippers. (I still love ya, Danny.)

Back-ups were originally MOKF reprints, then switched to Iron Fist, Sons of the Tiger, and eventually the White Tiger. there were a couple of one-offs along the way featuring original characters.

I've got three weeks of vacation left to burn before the end of the year. I really need to take some time off and do nothing but read the piles of comics and books I've been accumulating.
Old 01-20-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just noticed that Amazon is listing a date of June 14, so it'll probably be a little earlier elsewhere. List price is $125. I might bite if IST has it at 50% off in release week.

Image might be a placeholder, of course.

One of the most groundbreaking Marvel Comics of all is collected for the first time! Born to be the world's most fearsome fighter, Shang-Chi's life takes a major turn when he discovers the truth about his father - the villainous Fu Manchu! So begins the epic story of the Master of Kung Fu! On a quest to end the reign of his pernicious patriarch, Shang-Chi pits his deadly hands and furious feet against incredible foes like Tiger-Claw, Razor-Fist, the mysterious Midnight - and even the macabre Man-Thing! But will his mastery of martial arts be enough in a throwdown with the Amazing Spider-Man?

Written by STEVE ENGLEHART, GERRY CONWAY, DOUG MOENCH, LEN WEIN & ROGER STERN

Penciled by JIM STARLIN, PAUL GULACY, AL MILGROM, KEITH POLLARD, JOHN BUSCEMA, SAL BUSCEMA, ROSS ANDRU & MORE

COLLECTING: SPECIAL MARVEL EDITION #15-16, MASTER OF KUNG FU (1974) #17-37, GIANT-SIZE MASTER OF KUNG FU #1-4, GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #2, and Material from IRON MAN ANNUAL #4
Old 01-21-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Nice.
Old 01-21-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Image might be a placeholder, of course.
That is in fact the standard cover by the Dodsons. I believe the DM variant is the cover to Marvel Special Edition #15.
Old 01-21-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That is in fact the standard cover by the Dodsons. I believe the DM variant is the cover to Marvel Special Edition #15.
Cool. I tend to like the vintage-issue covers.
Old 01-21-16, 01:01 PM
Banned

Update: Marvel has confirmed that the DHOKF b&w magazine will be reprinted in it's own volume. Don't have a link to this info. off the top of my head, but it was reported in the Marvel Masterworks Forum. In any case, great news. What we still don't know is when this will be reprinted - i.e., will it be released between the 4 MOKF volumes, or after those 4 volumes have been reprinted?! Time will tell.

I pre-ordered the forthcoming MOKF Omni - I've been waiting for reprints of this material for years, and am truly looking forward to this volume.
Old 04-24-16, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the advent of the Master of Kung Fu Omnibus and Deadly Hands of Kung Fu Omnibus being released this year, the folks over at the Masterworks Message Board were seeking “The Definitive MOKF/DHOKF Chronologic Reading Order”.

As part of a larger project, “THE” Definitive MOKF/DHOKF Chronologic Reading Order and Shang Chi Chronology was just completed. If you're interested, head on over to: shangchimokf.blogspot.com
Old 04-25-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheDude
Update: Marvel has confirmed that the DHOKF b&w magazine will be reprinted in it's own volume. Don't have a link to this info. off the top of my head, but it was reported in the Marvel Masterworks Forum. In any case, great news. What we still don't know is when this will be reprinted - i.e., will it be released between the 4 MOKF volumes, or after those 4 volumes have been reprinted?! Time will tell.

I pre-ordered the forthcoming MOKF Omni - I've been waiting for reprints of this material for years, and am truly looking forward to this volume.
Amazon lists a Nov. 15 date for Deadly Hands, and Sep. 20 for Master #2 (direct markets will be a little earlier).

I'm definitely in for MOKF 1, and I'll probably get DHOKF as well. I might see how the issues hold up before I commit to MOKF 2.
Old 04-25-16, 11:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I don't think I ever read it, but it's cult status has me thinking about picking up the first to check it out.
Old 04-25-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixon Kinqade
With the advent of the Master of Kung Fu Omnibus and Deadly Hands of Kung Fu Omnibus being released this year, the folks over at the Masterworks Message Board were seeking “The Definitive MOKF/DHOKF Chronologic Reading Order”.

As part of a larger project, “THE” Definitive MOKF/DHOKF Chronologic Reading Order and Shang Chi Chronology was just completed. If you're interested, head on over to: shangchimokf.blogspot.com
shangchimokf.blogspot.com
Old 04-25-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I don't think I ever read it, but it's cult status has me thinking about picking up the first to check it out.
I'm not trying to persuade anyone either way, but the vibe coming from Marvel is that this is pretty much a one-shot deal. Due to the rights situation, these omnibi are probably going to be it as far as MOKF reprints. If you think it's something you'd be into, you're better off taking the chance now. Presumably these would fetch big dollars at some point down the road after they go oop, so it might not be too much of a risk to blind buy.
Old 04-26-16, 06:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm not trying to persuade anyone either way, but the vibe coming from Marvel is that this is pretty much a one-shot deal. Due to the rights situation, these omnibi are probably going to be it as far as MOKF reprints. If you think it's something you'd be into, you're better off taking the chance now. Presumably these would fetch big dollars at some point down the road after they go oop, so it might not be too much of a risk to blind buy.
The chance of me ever selling anything is almost nil, but yeah, I'm in.
Old 04-26-16, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
The chance of me ever selling anything is almost nil, but yeah, I'm in.
I kind of figured that was the case.
Old 04-27-16, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I've probably got every issue of MOKF and Deadly Hands, and the one-shot thing has me concerned that I should rush to pick them up. I thought MOKF started brilliantly and then was sort of hit and miss until Gulacy came back and it became a "James Bond" book (and was pretty solid thereafter with a succession of competent artists). Also, when Deadly Hands was good, it was very good, but it could also be a little mediocre. However, it sort of represents a period for me (along with a lot of books from my youth). I'll probably ending buying all these things.
Old 04-27-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hmm, so no Epics or whatever? I guess I wouldn't be surprised considering the rights battles. So maybe I will wind up getting them all.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.