Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boy and the Beast (Bakemono no Ko)

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 12-05-15, 07:48 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/147398376" width="750" height="422" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Theatrical poster:
Spoiler:

http://4NN.cx/.96129 http://www.laemmle.com/films/40028
Laemmle's Music Hall theater began screening The Boy and The Beast, the latest film from director Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children), on Friday in Beverly Hills, California. The film will continue playing with English subtitles several times a day until at least next Thursday.

The Boy and The Beast has been submitted for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, and it has also been nominated for the new "Best Animated Feature-Independent" category of the 43rd annual Annie Awards. To qualify for consideration in the 88th Academy Awards, a feature film must play in a commercial movie theater in Los Angeles County for at least seven straight days by December 31, 2015...

Funimation licensed the American rights to the film, and plans to release the film nationwide in early 2016...
Old 01-19-16, 05:21 PM
WTK

Re: The Boy and the Beast (Bakemono no Ko)

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/...nwide-march-4/
MAMORU HOSODA’S “THE BOY AND THE BEAST” OPENS IN U.S. THEATERS NATIONWIDE MARCH 4
Posted by Funimation on 01/19/2016 at 11:09am

We’ve got two big announcements today, so let’s get started!

If you’ve ever been curious about the ins-and-outs of our theatrical releases, we’ve made it easy to stay on top of any and all developments! As of today, FunimationFilms.com is up and running—bringing you the latest news surrounding our upcoming theatrical releases. Check back often to watch new trailers, purchase advance movie tickets, get theater information, and more.

Next up, we’re excited to announce the official release date of latest film from internationally acclaimed director Mamoru Hosoda, The Boy and the Beast. This film will hit select theaters nationwide starting Friday, March 4, 2016. Tickets go on sale on February 5th, so be sure to stay tuned to FunimationFilms.com/theboyandthebeast, to secure your tickets early—not only does this ensure you’ve saved yourself a seat during this limited run, it also tells the theaters that there’s a demand for critically acclaimed, high-profile anime movies!

To make sure you can watch the movie the way you want, you’ll have the option to purchase tickets to see the movie in the original Japanese version (with English subtitles), the new English dub version produced by Funimation, or both. For those who might be curious, the English dub was developed closely with Hosoda himself to ensure the voice cast matched both his vision and direction for the film. Here’s a quick rundown of the film’s plot:

The Boy and the Beast (“Bakemono no Ko” in Japanese) tells the story of Kyuta, a young orphan living on the streets of Shibuya, who stumbles into a fantastic world of beasts. He’s taken in by Kumatetsu, a gruff, rough-around-the-edges warrior beast who’s been searching for the perfect apprentice. Despite their constant bickering, Kyuta and Kumatetsu begin training together and slowly form a bond as surrogate father and son. But when a deep darkness threatens to throw the human and beast worlds into chaos, the strong bond between this unlikely family will be put to the ultimate test—a final showdown that will only be won if the two can finally work together using all of their combined strength and courage.

To find out more, visit FunimationFilms.com/boyandthebeast and let us know on social media if you plan to attend! Official press release after the jump:

---

MAMORU HOSODA’S “THE BOY AND THE BEAST” OPENS IN U.S. THEATERS NATIONWIDE MARCH 4 Advance Tickets on Sale February 5; English Dub Cast Revealed

FLOWER MOUND, TEXAS – January 19, 2016. Funimation® Entertainment announced today the theatrical date for the eagerly anticipated release of “The Boy and The Beast.” The latest masterpiece from acclaimed director Mamoru Hosoda, “The Boy and The Beast” will open on March 4 and screen in theaters across the U.S. Theatergoers will be able to purchase tickets to watch either the original Japanese language version (with English subtitles), the new English dub version produced by Funimation, or both. The English dub was developed closely with Hosoda to ensure the voice cast matched both his vision and direction for the film. The nationwide theatrical release of “The Boy and The Beast” will be the first time the English dub will be available to the general public. Prior to that, the film screened with English subtitles and only at a handful of film festivals in North America. Advance tickets go on sale on February 5 and can be purchased at funimationfilms.com/theboyandthebeast. “The Boy and The Beast” is a limited theatrical engagement and fans are encouraged to secure their tickets early.

“We’re very proud to showcase our English dub for the U.S. theatrical release of the ‘The Boy and The Beast,’” said Gen Fukunaga, CEO and founder of Funimation. “It was a rare opportunity to work so closely with a film’s director on a dub production and doubly so with Mamoru Hosoda – arguably the world’s most prominent anime director.”

Funimation has distributed two prior Hosoda films in the U.S., including the critically acclaimed and award-winning “Wolf Children” in 2013 and “Summer Wars” in 2010. “The Boy and The Beast” is garnering critical acclaim of its own – having recently secured a nomination in the Best Animated Feature-Independent category for the 43rd Annual Annie Awards, which recognize the best in the field of animation. The winners will be announced February 6.

“The Boy and The Beast” (“Bakemono no Ko” in Japanese) tells the story of Kyuta, a young orphan living on the streets of Shibuya, who stumbles into a fantastic world of beasts. He’s taken in by Kumatetsu, a gruff, rough-around-the-edges warrior beast who’s been searching for the perfect apprentice. Despite their constant bickering, Kyuta and Kumatetsu begin training together and slowly form a bond as surrogate father and son. But when a deep darkness threatens to throw the human and beast worlds into chaos, the strong bond between this unlikely family will be put to the ultimate test—a final showdown that will only be won if the two can finally work together using all of their combined strength and courage.

“U.S. audiences will truly be wowed by the rich imagery, characters and storyline of ‘The Boy and The Beast,’” said Mike DuBoise, EVP and COO of Funimation. “We have no doubt that this film will bring anime to the forefront of mainstream theatrical audiences, appealing to all fans of animated films, both young and old.”

The complete cast for English dub of “The Boy and The Beast” is as follows:

::: see blog post :::

For more information on “The Boy and The Beast” visit funimationfilms.com/theboyandthebeast. Hi-res stills and screener are available to media at epk.tv.
Old 02-05-16, 10:13 PM
WTK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-0NDXOeb-lY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JYLLSarsZf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-21-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I finally saw this and was seriously disappointed, especially considering how much I've liked Hosoda's past films, esp. SUMMER WARS and WOLF CHILDREN. It's much too abstract for me and much too similar to SPIRITED AWAY.

The problem for me was the existence of this parallel world of animals behaving like humans that you can get to through a portal in an alley off of Shibuya Crossing (Tokyo's version of Times Square). Why does this world exist? How did it get there? How did the portal form? Given how crowded Shibuya always is, why did so few humans (two) find their way there? I need to know these things and if you don't tell me, I simply reject the concept and fail to get involved in the film. I felt little sympathy for either of the main two characters. I didn't like them and didn't care what happens to them. That, in my book, is a fatal flaw. I also didn't understand the concept of the "darkness" inside humans and how that translates into a huge monster that terrorizes Shibuya near the end. I know anime does this kind of thing a lot, but sometimes it works for me, depending on the level of stylization, and sometimes it doesn't.

And what was the whole point of the film? What was the message? What was Hosoda trying to say about father-son relationships? I don't know. I never got it. So much of the character relationship plotting goes undeveloped.

However, having recently been in Tokyo and spent time in and around Shibuya, I was amused and impressed by the detail of those scenes (Book Off! Family Mart!).

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-21-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-23-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I haven't seen it but hope I enjoy it as much as Wolf Children.