DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-11-16, 01:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge

Initial joke placeholder post spoilered for non-time travelers.
Spoiler:
Placeholder, don't post yet please. Anyone who posts is penalized by having to watch Freejack.

Why? - Another Challenge? Are you kidding me? No, sadly, I'm serious. I've always had a fascination with Leap Day and time travel, and the theme segues well into the Action/Adventure Challenge.

What? - Any film or TV episode or short that deals with Leap Day or Time Travel in any way is allowed. Commentaries or alternate versions are allowed, but otherwise each specific item can only be counted once.

When? - We start at dusk, February 27th 2016, and run until dawn on March 2nd 2016. This now expanded time period encompasses the actual Leap Day, the day of either side which sort of substitute for Leap Day for birthdays and anniversaries and the like, and our normal dusk and dawn bonus hours. Anything you complete during these eighty or so hours can be counted. As a bonus, we'll start the Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge two days early this year (but only time travel content), so you could get double credit during this entire Challenge if so inclined. We call this time the "Leap Day Challenge Time Paradox". And there is even possible triple credit with the end of the Academy Award Challenge too!

How? - Watch the items on TV, computer screens, in theaters, on your phones, or through direct neural transmission if you are participating from the future. Everything counts as one. No wild cards.

Where? - Don't you mean, "when?" Discuss the Challenge and your viewings in this, the Discussion Thread. Let's just include our lists in this thread. I imagine we'll only have a handful of participants, so a few lists mixed into this thread shouldn't be a problem. Please keep them spoilered if they get too long to reduce clutter.

Who? - Anyone and everyone is invited. In fact, anyone on this planet that watches a Time Travel related item during this time frame, has participated in the Challenge whether they know of our existence or not.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-24-16 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 01:21 PM

Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

So this is overkill I know, but why not? We actually have 5 different at least partial dates for the Challenge, so do we want theme nights?
Edit later to add:

Late notice, but I don't care, here are our Theme Nights.

27th - Academy Award Challenge double credit items
28th - travel into the past
29th - Groundhog Day type stuff (12:01, Source Code, more examples coming)
1st - travel into the future
2nd - Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge double credit items

And any interest in a very small checklist?
Edit later to add:
not this year I guess, maybe 2020

Last edited by Trevor; 02-27-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 01:22 PM

Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Reserved for hopeful sponsors.

Please welcome our first sponsor!

GoldenWheels has graciously agreed to sponsor our little shindig here. We are free to try to find some DVDs and/or books at their website. Please help me find some items that seem appropriate.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-27-16 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I didn't think I'd take part at first, just because of 2 doctor appointments on the 29th, but with these dates, it looks like a great time to work on The Time Tunnel.
Old 02-11-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Multiple days!

The Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge

2012 list (four items)

*First-time viewing

2/29
1. Terminator Genisys (2015)* (Netflix BD)

3/1
2. Terminator Genisys extra: Family Dynamics* (Netflix BD)
3. Terminator Genisys extra: Infiltration and Termination* (Netflix BD)
4. Terminator Genisys extra: Upgrades: VFX of Terminator Genisys* (Netflix BD)
5. Outlander season 1 ep 1 "Sassenach" (BD)
6. Star Trek TOS season 1 ep 28 "The City on the Edge of Forever" (Xbox)
7. About Time (DVD on portable player during power outage and BD on Xbox afterward)
8. Star Trek: First Contact (BD)

Last edited by davidh777; 03-02-16 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

First Time View - ☼

02/27/2016
01. Justice League United, "Far From Home", 2006,, TV, Dvd, US, Color,

02/28/2016
02. Justice League United, "The Savage Time - Part 1", 2002,, TV, Dvd, US, Color,
03. Justice League United, "The Savage Time - Part 2", 2002,, TV, Dvd, US, Color,
04. Justice League United, "The Savage Time - Part 3", 2002,, TV, Dvd, US, Color,
05. Flashback,, 2011, Brendan Jackson Rogers, Movie, Stream, US, Color, ☼
06. Danny Phantom, "Masters of all Time", 2006,, TV, Dvd, US, Color,

02/29/2016
07. Danny Phantom, "The Ultimate Enemy - Part 1", 2005,, TV, Dvd, US, Color,
08. Danny Phantom, "The Ultimate Enemy - Part 2", 2005,, TV, Dvd, US, Color,
09. Slayers The Motion Picture,, 1970, Kazuo Yamazaki/Hiroshi Watanabe, Movie, Dvd, JP, Color,

03/01/2016
10. Superman The Animated Series, "New Kids in Town", 1998,, TV, Dvd, US, Color,
11. Predestination,, 2014, Michael Spierig/Peter Spierig, Movie, Dvd, US, Color, ☼
12. Beyond the Time Barrier,, 1960, Edgar Ulmer, Movie, Dvd, US, B&W,
13. Timeslip - The Year of the Burn Up, "Part 1", 1970,, TV, Dvd, US, Color, ☼

Last edited by coyoteblue; 03-01-16 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
So this is overkill I know, but why not? We actually have 5 different at least partial dates for the Challenge, so do we want theme nights?

And any interest in a very small checklist?
Given the narrow scope of the Challenge I'm not sure how viable theme nights would be, but let me take a shot:

1. Groundhog Day types (Groundhog Day, 12:01, Retroactive, Buffy, Supernatural, etc...)
2. Time travel that happens in the past (Time Stalkers, Time Cop, Millenium, Doctor Who, Outer Limits, 12 Monkeys)
3. Time travel that happens in the future (Time Travelers, The Time Machine, World Without End, Doctor Who)

I'm drawing a blank for two more categories.

A small checklist might be good if we can agree to its contents.
Old 02-11-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^Source Code could fit the Groundhog Day theme as well.

A variation on 2/3 above could be
-Past character travels to the present (Kate and Leopold)
-Present character travels to the future (Back to the Future 2)
-Present character travels to the past (Back to the Future 1 and 3)
-Future character travels to the present (Terminator)

Or condense the above into travels forward/travels backward.

Or some randoms:
-Character time-travels to try to change history (Terminator)
-Character meets actual historical figures (Midnight in Paris)
-Dinosaurs
-The Old West

Last edited by davidh777; 02-11-16 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a site pertinent to the thread -

Temporal Anomalies in Time Travel Movies

It includes a nice list of time travel movies on the sidebar on the right side of the page.
Old 02-12-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Here's a site pertinent to the thread -

Temporal Anomalies in Time Travel Movies

It includes a nice list of time travel movies on the sidebar on the right side of the page.
Along with AoD, would Evil Dead 2 count, since there is the time travel in the last scene which set up things for the third movie?
Old 02-12-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Along with AoD, would Evil Dead 2 count, since there is the time travel in the last scene which set up things for the third movie?
Don't think so because ED2 isn't dependent on time travel like AoD is.
Old 02-12-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree that time travel should be central to the plot.
Old 02-13-16, 07:43 AM

Here are some interesting posts and possible useful info from the 2012 Challenge:
Originally Posted by KaBluie
My List:
1. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Time Of The Apes (1974) (Vol. XXII)
2. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Time Chasers (1990) (Vol. 5)
3. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Terror From The Year 5000 (1958) (YouTube)
4. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Future War (1994) (Vol. XIII)
I think I'm going to try to watch all four of these this Challenge.
Originally Posted by gp1086
Even though the list is likely not exhaustive and only movies, feel free to check out Wikipedia for a summary and ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Time_travel_films
Originally Posted by davidh777
For those interested in digging into your own collections, here are the episodes in the Trek Time Travel Fan Collective set:
12 episodes on four discs: Tomorrow Is Yesterday (TOS 21), The City on the Edge of Forever (TOS 28), Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG 163), Cause and Effect (TNG 218), Time's Arrow parts 1 and 2 (TNG 226-227), All Good Things... (TNG 747), Little Green Men (DS9 480), Trials and Tribble-ations (DS9 503), Year of Hell parts 1 and 2 (Voyager 176-177), Endgame (Voyager 828)
Thanks again David! I think I've bought that Star Trek set in the last four years, and will try to squeeze these into my viewing marathon as well.
I left two titles on the table. I started watching the 30 Rock episode "Leap Day," and started watching The Time Machine but didn't finish either.
Oh! Must find that 30 Rock episode too. It streams on Amazon Prime or Netflix, iirc.
2012 DVDTalk Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge Results

Over a month late in this timeline (but amazingly punctual in my personal one) here is the promised Results Post for our Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge.
All The Watchers

Trevor - 58 - Numbers not as "good" as they appear, as most of them were cartoon shorts.

Pizza - 10 - W* - Outed as a Dr. Who fan.

BobO'Link - 6 - W* - Big props for being ballsy enough to admit liking ST:V more than something else.

Gobear - 6 - W* - The closest to me DVDTalker geographically, yet we've never met.

coyoteblue - 5 - W* - Big thanks for pulling out the Outer Limits episodes that qualify.

pagefrance - 5 - W* - Nicely formatted list with a streaming link to boot!

davidh777 - 4 - Convinced me to watch some Disney animation that even my ten year old stepdaughter wouldn't watch. Should have followed his suggestion and dug through my DVD boxes to find the perfect item for this Challenge, the Star Trek Time Travel episodes!

KaBluie - 4 - Big props for finding the MST3K qualifying episodes and directly linking to the free streaming one. I used it!

shadokitty - 4 - Watched four items that I wish I had time to watch.

orlmac - 3 - Really loves the letter R. I'm curious as to what "orlmac" means.

supermike07 - 3 - Watched the trilogy perfect for this Challenge, and seconded that we'll do this again in 4 years!

Jeffy Pop - 2 - Apparently has a crush on Jake Gyllenhaal.

Ash Ketchum - 1 - Tried something new and watched anime.

Chad - 1 - The one film was a nice pick-up, I totally forgot that 2001 qualifies.

gp1086 - 1 - A first time viewing, and thank you for the wiki link of ideas!

jmsmath - 1 - Made it a great 1 with Time Bandits!

omike - 1 - We tried to sneak this Challenge in, but omike found us anyway.

paradicelost - ?1? - Looks like we definitely watched at least one item, but no list to verify. Quirky spelling references ???

cardsfan111 - 1 - Props for reminding me to make a wildcard rule.

Mister Peepers - 0

Top Five Worders

davidh777 - 18 - W* - Somehow beat even the OP in the posting department.

Trevor - 16 - Extra credit for making most of his posts and viewings while pretending to be fully attentive to his new wife and stepdaughter.

BobO'Link - 13 - W* - Thanks for the crazy lady story.
shadokitty - 12 - W* - Thanks for spurring me on to start this.

Mister Peepers - 10 - W* - Performed the amazing task of being the most verbose participant of the thread word count-wise, without watching a single qualifying item.

Orlmac - 7 - W* - Still curious.....

The top 5 of each category get a prize. I'm very cheap though, so the only prize is that you all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early. Winners marked with a W*

* posting totals are the numbers at the Challenge's conclusion
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111

For the record, I did end up watching Leap Year, the film I suggested was the perfect Wild Card entry. Guess I didn't create a list post since I didn't have much of a list with 1 film.

With nearly 4 years to prepare, I plan on doubling my output next time. I can guarantee you it's the first time I've ever made such a promise with any confidence.
Still game?
Originally Posted by omike
I'm telling you right now that I'm going to be keeping an eye on you kids next Leap Day!
Peek a boo!
Originally Posted by Pizza
I actually have a time machine and have already gone to leap year 2016 and watched the entire Time Tunnel series that very day. You came up with some pretty good prizes and I'm looking forward to getting those then.
Doh! I better start working on those prizes. I PMd GoldenWheels about sponsoring, not sure if I have doubles of anything Challenge-related to donate myself.
Old 02-13-16, 07:53 AM

I agree that time travel should be central to the plot.
I agree, but last time set the rules to be very loose. So while we can all encourage each other to watch stuff that is 'real' time travel or central to the story, feel free to count anything as long as time travel is mentioned or vaguely occurs.

I might think to be a bit more strict if it was a full month Challenge, but for just a few days, I think it's fair to be super inclusive, right?
Old 02-13-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here are some interesting posts and possible useful info from the 2012 Challenge:

I think I'm going to try to watch all four of these this Challenge.

Thanks again David! I think I've bought that Star Trek set in the last four years, and will try to squeeze these into my viewing marathon as well.

Oh! Must find that 30 Rock episode too. It streams on Amazon Prime or Netflix, iirc.

Still game?

Peek a boo!

Doh! I better start working on those prizes. I PMd GoldenWheels about sponsoring, not sure if I have doubles of anything Challenge-related to donate myself.

Oddly enough, I actually remember there being some winners last time.
Old 02-13-16, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Oddly enough, I actually remember there being some winners last time.
Yep! The following people get to start an hour before sunset/dusk on the 27th:

Pizza
BobO'Link (two hours early!)
Gobear
coyoteblue
pagefrance
davidh777
shadokitty
Mister Peepers
orlmac
Old 02-13-16, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
For some silly reason, I was thinking this short challenge lasted from last night till this morning.
It's short, but not that short.

For a really short Challenge, be here on June 30th for DVDTalk's First Leap Second Challenge.
I've been using these Challenges to work my way thru the Time Tunnel DVD set. As that TV series is roughly 90,000 seconds long, I won't be finished until the year 272356 AD.
Old 02-15-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a question regarding Doctor Who. Hulu has documentaries on the series. Would they count? I ask since not all Doctor Who episodes or story arcs feature time travel. Don't some episodes just deal with going to another planet?
Old 02-15-16, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just looked at the Wikipedia link of time travel movies, and found out not only can I watch kaiju, but even The Three Stooges, lol. I own Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Rebirth of Mothra III, and The Three Stooges Meet Hercules.
Old 02-15-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 610 Likes on 450 Posts

Pizza
Gobear
coyoteblue
pagefrance
davidh777
shadokitty
Mister Peepers
orlmac
OK... that's just too good! I didn't realize I'd get a *two* hour head start! That's a whole movie!

And you mentioning The Time Tunnel... That's a favorite. I *hated* that it got cancelled and didn't find out until a few years ago it was actually renewed but, even though ratings were solid for a Friday night show and it was one of ABC's best performers, an ABC Exec was pushing for The Legend of Custer to air in that time slot ("real" history rather than the "fake" history in The Time Tunnel). He successfully lobbied and got The Time Tunnel canceled and Custer picked up. Custer was cancelled after 17 episodes due to low ratings. Read more here.

I may see how many episodes I can get in during the ~3 day period...
Old 02-15-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

Still game?
I hope no one else holds me accountable for the things I posted 4 years ago!

I'll have to see what I can do.
Old 02-16-16, 10:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Peek a boo!
Oh yeah, I've got your number this time and I'll be around for the WHOLE challenge. I just got back from an amazing Dr. Who convention (I got to shake the hand of Sir John Hurt!) so there will be some Who on my list but I will stick with ones that have obvious time travel in like historicals. Also hope to get in some Time Tunnel episodes. Thanks for re-posting that MST3K list - I hope to get one or two of those in as well. And I never have seen Rebirth of Mothra III (thanks shadokitty). Hmmm, may need a time machine to get everything in!

Omike's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge List

Spoiler:

February 27
01. Doctor Who (2006): The End of the World S:1 E:2 (Doctor Who The Complete First Series)
The Ninth Doctor and Rose travel 5.5 billion years into the future in order to see the destruction of Earth.
02. Doctor Who (2006): The Unquiet Dead S:1 E:3 (Doctor Who The Complete First Series)
The Ninth Doctor and Rose go to 1866 and meet Charles Dickens
03. Doctor Who Special Features: Disk 1 (Doctor Who The Complete First Series)
BBC Breakfast interview with Christopher Eccleston, Making Doctor Who with Russell T. Davies, Launch Trailers

February 28
04. Captain Z-Ro (1956): Leonardo da Vinci* E:23 (Mill Creek Classic Sci-Fi TV)
The Captain and his teen sidekick Jet visit Leonardo in 1515.
05. Captain Z-Ro (1956): Molly Pitcher* E:16 (Mill Creek Classic Sci-Fi TV)
A visit to the Battle of Monmouth in 1778 during the Revolutionary War.
06. The Time Tunnel (1966): Rendezvous with Yesterday E:1 (The Time Tunnel Volume One)
Tony and Doug try to save the Titanic.
07. The Time Tunnel (1966): One Way To the Moon E:2 (The Time Tunnel Volume One)
Tony and Doug land on a space craft in 1978 headed to Mars.
08. The Time Tunnel (1966): End of the World E:3 (The Time Tunnel Volume One)
In 1910 Tony and Doug try to save trapped miners and convince people that Halley's Comet is not going to hit the Earth.

February 29
09. Doctor Who (2010): The Eleventh Hour S:5 E:1 (Doctor Who The Complete Matt Smith Years) Blu Ray
The Eleventh Doctor meets Amelia Pond as a little girl, as a young woman and then two years after that. He also saves the world from a really cool looking alien race. A fine first episode for a new doctor.

March 01
10. The Time Tunnel (1966): The Day the Sky Fell In E:4 (The Time Tunnel Volume One)
Tony and Doug end up in Honolulu on Dec. 6, 1941.
11. The Time Tunnel (1966): The Last Patrol E:5 (The Time Tunnel Volume One)
Doug and Tony land near New Orleans in 1815, just before the last battle of the War of 1812. Carroll O'Connor is pretty good in a double role.

Last edited by omike; 03-02-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-16-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pizza
Gobear
coyoteblue
pagefrance
davidh777
shadokitty
Mister Peepers
orlmac
I can start an hour before dusk!

If I can figure out when exactly dusk starts. My weather app, I guess.

The extra hour was more exciting when the challenge only lasted a day.
Old 02-16-16, 12:12 PM

Please welcome our first sponsor!

GoldenWheels has graciously agreed to sponsor our little shindig here. We are free to try to find some DVDs and/or books at their website. Please help me find some items that seem appropriate.
Old 02-16-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks, Hamilton Books! I've placed a couple orders there recently and been happy with their packaging and prompt delivery.

Just dug through their site a bit and found some candidates:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.