Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Old 07-26-14, 01:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

http://bostonherald.com/entertainmen..._galaxy_sequel

"Guardians of the Galaxy" doesn't land in theaters until Aug. 1, but Marvel Studios already is moving forward with a sequel and has turned to James Gunn to return to write and direct.

A sequel already was expected, considering their return appears on screen in the end credits of the film.

It's unclear whether Nicole Perlman, who co-wrote the first "Guardians" with Gunn, will return.

"Guardians" is Marvel Studios' 10th film since starting to self finance its own projects in 2008, with "Iron Man."

The Disney-owned studio already has dated a slate of new untitled films through 2019.

Marvel did not comment.

Gunn's role on the sequel was first reported by The Wrap at Comic-Con in San Diego.

giggity giggity!
Old 07-26-14, 07:05 PM

Received 771 Likes on 504 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Gunn, 7/28/2018) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Old 07-26-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Gunn, 7/28/2018) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Opens July 28, 2017.
Old 07-26-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Yeah, Gunn just posted it on his FB feed.
Old 07-26-14, 09:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

http://www.mtv.com/news/1880446/guar...-release-date/

The sequel hits July 28, 2017.
by Kevin P. Sullivan 56 mins ago

For the big closer of the Marvel panel at San Diego Comic-Con, James Gunn and Chris Pratt sent in a video from London to announce the release date for “Guardians of the Galaxy 2.”

The sequel to the sci-fi epic, hitting theaters soon, will debut on July 28, 2017.

Gunn was recently rumored to return as writer and director, and he confirmed the news on Twitter:

Yes, I’m writing and directing the sequel to #GuardiansoftheGalaxy for theaters July 28 2017. But first go see the first one out next week!

— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 27, 2014
Old 08-04-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017 D: Gunn S:

Lets start talking about the Sequel!

Yes, I’m writing and directing the sequel to #GuardiansoftheGalaxy for theaters July 28 2017. But first go see the first one out next week!
6:44 PM - 26 Jul 2014
Some hints into the Sequel from James Gunn:

http://www.filmdivider.com/4171/jame...quills-father/

I know a lot of where I want to go. I have a lot of ideas for stories and characters that are going to appear, and there are documents written up, that some people have, about Peter Quill’s father and his relationship, a lot of stuff about Yondu and a lot of stuff about Drax that nobody knows.

There are a lot of things that are part of the overall schematic that already exist, not to mention a lot of stuff about all of the cultures. There’s a lot of stuff about Xandarian and Kree culture that I’ve written down or I have in my head, as well as Krylorians and Ravagers.

Those comments were made to me, but during the roundtable chat. Gunn later elaborated when we were speaking again.

Kevin Feige has stuff. I wrote up a lot. He knows all the stuff and if I died tomorrow they could go make a movie. They could write the story of Peter Quill’s father and it would all be there. I think Yondu is a very important character, a really important character in this universe, and I think Nebula is really important too and so I think we’ll see more of both of those characters.

Back at the start of the day, during the press conference, Gunn was asked what tracks would be on Quill’s Awesome Mix 2 tape and therefore make up the soundtrack to a second film. As the songs are selected to the scenes, he explained, they hadn’t all been worked out yet. The implication there, perhaps, is that he had some of them worked out.

It sounds very much like Gunn knows where he wants to take Guardians 2 and it’s now going to be a job of developing the finer detail and drafting it on the page. Anything might change as that work goes on, of course, but really, I think he’s given us enough clues for the meantime. He certainly seems set on expanding the “fathers and children” theme, for example. Seems like a sound choice.
Any cast additions you would like to see in GOTG 2? We already have possible
Spoiler:
Cosmo
from the first movie?

Any others?
Old 08-04-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017 D: Gunn S:

I give it 5 Stars already!
Old 08-04-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al.

Gunn Talks about who he might want to see in GOTG 2:

http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-t...-post-credits/

What other Guardians would you like to add to a potential sequel?

I love a lot of the other Guardians so I think about it quite a bit. I love… I love a lot of them and if I say one then all those fans of that one character are going to come out and then I might decide that character doesn’t work as well so we’ll see. We may have some Guardians we’ve already met…
I’m hoping for more ladies…

One of my true hopes is that we can have at least two women in the next iteration of the Guardians whenever that may be whether it’s the next movie or the next one after that, that we can break this thing of having one women in every [Marvel movie] although i must say, I’m not sure what sex Groot is, I don’t see any junk so I think he’s his own thing.
More ladies, so Moon Dragon & Mantis? I want to see Bug and Adam Warlock of course, and COSMO.
Old 08-04-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WhatCulture looks at who could play the additional potential cast members:

http://whatculture.com/film/guardian...t-needs.php/10

(This is an Older article so there are some cast picks for current members)

Although I do like the Jamie Chung for Mantis, plus it would be a double bonus for Marvel (A Woman And A Minority).
Old 08-04-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MTV looks at 6 things a Guardian's sequel must have:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1887915/guar...galaxy-sequel/

Here are the first three:

Not Another Infinity Stone
Four of Marvel Studios’ ten movies have been about a bad guy getting possession of an Infinity Stone and the good guys having to stop him. It’s time for a new formula. But if “Avengers 3″ plays out similarly to “The Infinity Gauntlet,” we might not be that lucky. And yet, some of Marvel’s best movies have been a result of changing the blueprint. Look at “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” for example. There’s no MacGuffin. It’s a pretty straightforward mystery. With the Guardians already established, a sequel can let the characters, not the story, do most of the work.

Papa Quill
The only hint that “Guardians of the Galaxy” gave for where a sequel might go came at the end of the movie, when Yondu revealed that his original mission was to deliver Peter Quill to his absentee father. With Star-Lord Sr. confirmed as an outer space person, the revelation could set-up Star-Lord’s comic book father, J’Son, the emperor of Spartax.

There is, however, some evidence that argues that “Guardians of the Galaxy 2″ will divert from the comics here. When speaking with Badass Digest, Gunn said that only four people know the identity of Star-Lord’s dad, including himself. Since that number doesn’t include me and the rest of the comic-reading world, it’s relatively safe to assume that J’Son won’t be the answer to the puzzle.

More Thanos Action
After two movies of throne smiling, can we get the big purple guy off of his asteroid? I get that when you’re playing with a villain as powerful as Mad Titan, you can’t handle it lightly. Establishing his power and threat takes time, for sure, but when all he does is sit on a throne, that point isn’t really getting across. If Thanos is in line to be the “Avengers 3″ villain like everyone assumes he is, he needs to get out there and get his gauntlets dirty before then.
Old 08-04-14, 12:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As I suspected, his dad from the comics won't be his dad in the movies.

Mantis is a must, I'd say. Also Quasar might be a nice addition. I assume Adam Warlock is a given.
Old 08-04-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm sure we'll see Lylla in Part 2.
Old 08-04-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I am guessing Adam Warlock and Moon Dragon will make an appearance. If Warlock is appearing then maybe the Magus will appear somewhere down the road. Maybe get Pip the Troll as well. More Elders such as the Gardner? Champion would be cool and a good adversary for Drax. Some form of Captain Marvel would be cool.
Old 08-04-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are GOTG spoilers safe in a GOTG 2 thread?

Anyways gunn confirms the appearance..
Spoiler:
of Adam warlock in cocoon found in collectors base in the podcast about 3:20 in. http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41815
Old 08-04-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Empire Suggests 10 characters they want to see in GOTG 2

Don't pay attention to Venom who is with Sony

http://www.empireonline.com/features...galaxy-sequel/
Old 08-04-14, 10:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Woah, I had no idea that Neil Gaiman sold Angela to Marvel after he won the rights back to her from McFarlane. I guess she's not an angel anymore.

Also, I think you mean Flash Thompson, not Venom.
Old 08-04-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

20-seventeen????
Old 08-04-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Sounds like Glenn Close wants to return for the sequel: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/332...ardians-sequel

It's a small role, but Glenn Close is obviously having a ball with her few scenes as Nova Prime in the recently released "Guardians of the Galaxy". In an interview with USA Today, the actress spoke about her enjoyment of working on the project.

She tells the paper: "It reminded me of the original Star Wars in that it introduced this great cast but it also had this offhand 'We don't take ourselves so seriously' aspect of it. You don't only get introduced into this wonderful world that has a look all unto its own, but the characters make you laugh. You feel some sort of empathy toward them, and people love that and want it."

Close says that due to her many serious roles of late, she is not offered fun roles like Nova Prime often and so jumps on them when they come around: "I just have to let people know that I always have been up for anything. I love to do stuff that's different. That's what I love."

She does love her character's crazy hair though: "It's so out there, I don't know if people will like this one, but it's really great. Now I've really bought into it. This is a great sculpture, a whimsy on my head. I like to think that Nova Prime has that in her, and hopefully we'll be able to see that in the future."

Asked about the potential for her to reprise her role, she says: "When you play a character who they love and are amused by, hopefully they'll see more of you. Especially at this point in my career, it's fantastic. To be in the beginning of literally a whole new universe for people is really fun."
Old 08-05-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Woah, I had no idea that Neil Gaiman sold Angela to Marvel after he won the rights back to her from McFarlane. I guess she's not an angel anymore.

Also, I think you mean Flash Thompson, not Venom.
Isn't flash = venom?
Old 08-05-14, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Are GOTG spoilers safe in a GOTG 2 thread?

Anyways gunn confirms the appearance..
Spoiler:
of Adam warlock in cocoon found in collectors base in the podcast about 3:20 in. http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41815
Actually its not really a spoiler as the cocoon already appeared (really visible) in the after credits sequence for Thor: The Dark World when they visit the Collector. So i guess Warlock has been in two Marvel movies already....in a way.
Old 08-05-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a
Actually its not really a spoiler as the cocoon already appeared (really visible) in the after credits sequence for Thor: The Dark World when they visit the Collector. So i guess Warlock has been in two Marvel movies already....in a way.
Would the spoiler be whats inside? I guess at this point anything in GOTG should be fair game for a GOTG 2 thread.
Old 08-05-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Sounds like Glenn Close wants to return for the sequel: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/332...ardians-sequel
Glad she enjoyed the movie. Prior to filming, she apparently told an interviewer she was only doing it for the paycheck. Per IMDb:
When attending the 18th Nantucket Film Festival, Glenn Close stated that she only agreed to star in the film since "it will then afford me to go do the other kind of movies that I really love". However, she followed it up by saying; "And hopefully I will have a great time. It'll be a new experience for me, but practically speaking it will mean that I can do those smaller movies and it'll be okay."
Reminded me of when Scarlett Johansson referred to Iron Man 2 as a "one-for-them" movie: implying it was merely a status project that would allow her to keep doing those smaller films that she really cared about. So elitist.
Old 08-05-14, 11:00 AM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Reminded me of when Scarlett Johansson referred to Iron Man 2 as a "one-for-them" movie: implying it was merely a status project that would allow her to keep doing those smaller films that she really cared about. So elitist.
A lot of actors use this reasoning. Especially ones who do come from smaller indie backgrounds... or direct their own features. Like Edward Burns...acts in shitty movies to bankroll the movies he directs. Ruffalo is the same way acting wise. It can be a slippery slope though. Cusack started doing this...and now look where his career is.
Old 08-05-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Chris Evans recently made similar comments about playing Captain America.
Old 08-05-14, 11:13 AM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Chris Evans recently made similar comments about playing Captain America.
He's only recently tried to branch out from the Hollywood system. But he plans to start directing, so having all that Marvel money is a good cushion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.