Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HORRIBLE News: CMC bought TY from JVC.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-21-16, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

From Media Supply

"Here's the scoop on JVC/Taiyo Yuden's announcement regarding CD-R & DVD-R

Dear [Contact],
Big changes are in the works for JVC/Taiyo Yuden users over the next couple months. Here's the story on what is happening:

In June of 2015, JVC announced they would no longer be manufacturing high-quality Taiyo Yuden engineered DVDs & CDs as of 12/31/15. This is based on their Philips license expiring. In November, CMC announced they would be buying the Taiyo Yuden technology, and begin making media using Taiyo Yuden dye and proceedures in their Taiwan plants. This new product will become available in late February or early March. We have a limited supply of product made in Japan by JVC available during this transition. The latest on this new product is that it's still in testing, but it's expected to be available in the next 45 days.

So, you're probably wondering what our plan is at Media Supply. With some manufacturers leaving the business, and others selling their names or technology to other (sometimes less reputable) manufacturers, we wanted the ability to offer our customers a line of premium, high-quality discs that they could depend on, that wouldn't be affected by changes in the industry. Below you'll find information on our new MediaPro Premium blank media. If you have questions about this Taiyo Yuden change, contact us via email or call 1-800-944-4237 for more info."
Old 01-21-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: HORRIBLE News: CMC bought TY from JVC.

The only acronym I recognized from the subject line was JVC.
Old 01-21-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Omg
Old 01-21-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-21-16, 06:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wtf?
Old 01-21-16, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought folks here were more aware of the blank (burnable) disc quality issues.

The short version: most blank media has turned to garbage over the last 5 years. Taiyo Yuden was pretty much the only decent brand left. They were just purchased by CMC, a company known for making some of the worst blank discs on the planet. My purpose in the post was to give a head's up to those who burn discs that you might want to stock up while you still can.
Old 01-21-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I thought folks here were more aware of the blank (burnable) disc quality issues.

The short version: most blank media has turned to garbage over the last 5 years. Taiyo Yuden was pretty much the only decent brand left. They were just purchased by CMC, a company known for making some of the worst blank discs on the planet. My purpose in the post was to give a head's up to those who burn discs that you might want to stock up while you still can.
I knew exactly what you meant but most people would have no idea what the acronyms in the thread title stood for.

Anyone that is serious about burning CDs and DVDs knows that Taiyo Yuden was the last great manufacturer of quality blank media. CMC is a garbage manufacturer that few consumers trust.

I still burn CDs occasionally, so this does affect me.
Old 01-21-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts

I been buying Verbatim AZO dvd-r blank discs for the past 10+ years. They are made by Mitsubishi (MCC 03RG20). Have had no problems with the AZO Discs. I stay away from the Life Series Verbatim's Disc.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
Old 01-22-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had good luck with the FTI Made in the UAE Verbs; but have had mediocre results since they dropped FTI.
Old 01-22-16, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I've never really had any issues with either CD-R or DVD-R discs.

I have CD-R discs that I burned fifteen years ago that still play fine.
Old 01-22-16, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

This is, indeed the end of an era... Terrible news is an understatement.

I'm wondering where, if possible I may still pick up a couple of spindles of the genuine Yuden media for a decent, non-scalper price?

So, where will we go now for low c2 error rates and / or low pi/po errors? Every other blank media company that I'm aware of has turned to garbage in the last 5-7 years. Most of my burned media are holding out for the present, but what about in 5-10 years' time?
Old 01-22-16, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle

I'm wondering where, if possible I may still pick up a couple of spindles of the genuine Yuden media for a decent, non-scalper price?

So, where will we go now for low c2 error rates and / or low pi/po errors? Every other blank media company that I'm aware of has turned to garbage in the last 5-7 years. Most of my burned media are holding out for the present, but what about in 5-10 years' time?
Back them up to hard drives?

You should be able to back up about 200 DVD-Rs per TB.

Just make sure you back up your back ups.
Old 01-22-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I remember Taiyo Yuden being the gold standard when I burned a lot of cds in the mid to late nineties. Even back then there were certain manufacturers that were crap that we avoided like the plague. Is there no expectation that CMC, who I am not familiar with, could produce a decent product using Taiyo Yudens process and dyes?
Old 01-22-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I think many of us believe that CMC only wanted the Taiyo Yuden name and will shuttle their manufacturing facilities.
Old 01-23-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

I was never into the whole ripping + burning thing, in regard to audio cds and movie dvds.

But with that being said, I primarily burned discs for backing up important data and the operating system. Over the years I've come to the realization that most brands of blank cd and dvd discs were largely crap. Taiyo Yuden seemed to be the least crappy.

It was annoying burning several backup disc sets for the operating system, just to find out only one set actually worked properly without any flaws. (The other three or four sets were nonfunctional after several years). I ended up burning a new set of backup discs once a year, to get around this crappiness problem.
Old 01-23-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle

Media Supply says they still have stock:

http://www.mediasupply.com/taiyoyuden.html

I've had the best luck with the 8x pro shiny silvers:

http://www.mediasupply.com/tyddvd-r4-7s-8x-50.html
Old 01-23-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Very good advice.
Old 01-23-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
I remember Taiyo Yuden being the gold standard when I burned a lot of cds in the mid to late nineties. Even back then there were certain manufacturers that were crap that we avoided like the plague. Is there no expectation that CMC, who I am not familiar with, could produce a decent product using Taiyo Yudens process and dyes?
My opinion is CMC is incapable of producing anything but garbage.
Old 01-23-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

More generally, wonder if JVC is using this opportunity (ie. Phillips license expiring, etc ...) as an easy excuse to exit the market.

At times I wonder how many hardcore buyers of blank discs from a decade ago or so, are still buying a lot of blank discs today.
Old 01-23-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the popularity of streaming, downloading, portable hard drives & flash drives I suspect the blank disc market (especially cd) is rapidly declining
Old 01-24-16, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered 600 discs late last night. Should hold me for awhile, at least, since I've got a spindle or two on-hand right now anyway!

Should last me until we know whether CMC will be able to maintain the quality we're used to, or whether I'll need to go back to Verbatim AZO-dye discs.
Old 01-24-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Check. Done and completed. I just don't like the idea of having all my eggs in one basket. When a 2 TB drive goes, so does 500+ DVDs or 40-80 Blu-rays, and hours of time spent ripping and remuxing. So, I like to burn to good-quality media (Taiyo Yuden, the only choice), as they'll outlast hard drives, and if one fails, no big deal compared to a HD catastrophe.

The point is not missed that I *could* be buying multiple HDs and mirroring, but still that's a lot of eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the head's up about mediasupply.

Last edited by zyzzle; 01-24-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to call Media Supply tomorrow & ask how long they predict current stock to last. I'd like to stock up, but can't really afford it. I'd also like some samples of there new self branded azo discs. I've had very bad luck with Verbs the last couple years. Hopefully they'll be good.

I emailed them Thursday, & haven't received a reply.
Old 01-25-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think many of us believe that CMC only wanted the Taiyo Yuden name and will shuttle their manufacturing facilities.
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
My opinion is CMC is incapable of producing anything but garbage.
Understood. That really sucks. Hopefully, if CMC does fail in this venture, someone will step up and make a decent blank.
Old 01-25-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I s/w Media Supply today. They expect to have stock through early March. They have not seen the CMC/Ty's yet. Their new in house AZO discs will be minuses ONLY. They told me the ONLY other + on the market they're aware of is Verb; & since Falcon stopped making Verbs, I've stayed away from them.

I'm going to try to buy a couple hundred, but I don't have the $'s to buy case lots like I would prefer to do.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.