View Single Post
Old 09-10-15, 01:34 PM   #72
walletboyniac

Re: The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

* first time viewing
dvd
blu-ray
cable tv/dvr/on demand
netflix streaming
top secret

★★★★★ Awww yeah!
★★★★ Excellent
★★★(+) Very Good, I enjoyed it
★★★(-) Good (technically, not really)
★★ Sucked
★ Made me angry

Trope sitch:
Killer comeback = The bad guy dies twice
It must be REALLY close = Thunder & lightning at the same time
The old mirror gag = Someone may or may not be in the mirror
Just my luck = Keys happen to be in the car
I'm gonna hurl = Someone throws up

Cheer when you hear the name of the movie!

Sept 30 dusk (well, there was a pre-season hockey game at dusk)
1. Vampire Killers* (2009) ★★★(+)
Tits early on. That's a plus. As with any British horror comedy, the box automatically compares it to Shaun of the Dead. This film even has a scruffy fat bloke. There's a family curse a la Married...With Children, only with lesbian vampires. This one had style, anyway, and lots of chicks. I'm docking it a star for the Hollywood ending and a setup for a sequel.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 (opted for the hotwire) / I'm gonna hurl: X

Oct 1
2. Spring* (2015) ★★★(-)
Another ultra-widescreen flick. Aren't we special? Evan's had a rough day, kinda randomly decides to go to Italy, and hooks up with some sort of she-beast. A fairly dull love story that really picks up in the last half hour or so. So, if this were a 65-minute Japanese movie, it'd be pretty good.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0 TROPE-LESS!

2.5. The Walking Dead Spend* S5/Ep14 (2015) ★★★★
3. The Walking Dead Try* S5/Ep15 (2015) ★★★(+)

Oct 2
4. Wildcard Crawl* (2011) ★★★★
And crawl this movie does. A slow burn, but always engaging. Tense and moody. Features a creepy Croation hitman... and a cake. Reminded me a lot of Blood Simple, which, surprise! comes up in an extra. This was a Bloody Disgusting Select, so I assumed it was horror, but imdb begs to differ. They're at least usually interesting. I've now seen 12 of them, with 2 more to go (that I can find, anyway).
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 3
4.5. Rammbock: Berlin Undead* (2010) ★★
Gabi, Gabi, Gabi. Even when she's not in the subtitles, I still hear her name. This guy's sole motivation. And she's implied when Harper talk's to his mother's voice mail. Aaaaagh!! This was my first Bloody Disgusting dud. A fucking long 61 and 1/2 minutes. I don't know why they released this one. Then again, I'm seeing positive reviews elsewhere. I didn't get the appeal.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0

5. The Walking Dead Conquer* S5/Ep16 (2015) ★★★★
Rosita, you scamp! They lost me on disc 3. Who made the SFX guy a director?

Oct 4
6. Wildcard Hellacious Acres: The Case of John Glass* (2011) ★★
To quote Social Distortion: I was wrong! This makes two crappy Bloody Disgusting Selects. I'm watching a video game. And only the most tedious shit made its way into this film. Scrolling through menus and keypads, searching cabinets, trekking all over a barren wasteland, playing endless log entries. Gets bonus points for the Melvins-esque soundtrack, which coincidentally drowns out a lot of the dialogue. Maybe I would have given this one star had I been able to actually hear what was being said.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 5
7. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning* (1985) ★★★(+)
There's a killer on the loose, only it's not, well, you know. Definitely a product of the 80's. Gives it some character. I kinda dug jive-talking Reggie.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: 0

8. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives* (1986) ★★★(-)
Boy, they were really churning these out. Did I just see Horshack get his heart ripped out? This installment had a cornball element I didn't care for. The 1980's Alice Cooper soundtrack didn't help matters any.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 6
9. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) ★★★(-)
Starring Lar Park Lincoln. I just like the name. Tina resurrects Jason through telekinesis. I guess that's a new one. The telekinesis angle made things interesting, although it had one of the more ludicrous endings I've seen.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0

10. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan* (1989) ★★★(+)
Jason is electrocuted back to life... again, and immediately gets back to his insatiable lust for killing. Sort of a misleading title. He doesn't "take" Manhattan until the last 30 minutes. Then the movie really takes off. But in the meantime, he stalks a ship full of students. So, if you think Jason's going to run amok at peep shows, you're sorely mistaken. I related to young Rennie being thrown in the water. I kinda dug jive-talking Julius.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 7
11. Jason Goes to Hell (1993) ★★
Jason makes his return here without rhyme or reason, after being dissolved in toxic waste in part 8. Then, they blowed him up real good. Once again, he's not really in this one, as his essence is passed on from body to body. The "most incredible ending" referred to on the cover is a joke. The title of the movie is a spoiler for the end, and wow, was it a disappointment. He gets pulled into Hell, we don't get to see him there. This is my least favorite of the sequels, although I haven't seen Freddy vs. Jason yet in its entirety.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: 0

12. Jason X (2001) ★★★★★
Wait, wasn't he sent to Hell? Well, now he's in space. It's like they gave up on telling any sort of legend. Jason just is! In 2455, Jason is rescued from a cryogenic chamber at the Crystal Lake Research Facility. Easily the most fun of the Friday the 13th sequels. There's even an ass-kicking female android. My favorite genre -- Kick-ass chicks!
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0

12.5. American Horror Story: Freak Show Monsters Among Us* S4/Ep01 (2014) ★★★★
13. American Horror Story: Freak Show Massacres and Matinees* S4/Ep02 (2014) ★★★★

Oct 8
13.5. American Horror Story: Freak Show Edward Mordrake: Part 1* S4/Ep03 (2014) ★★★(+)
14. American Horror Story: Freak Show Edward Mordrake: Part 2* S4/Ep04 (2014) ★★★★
15. Freddy Vs. Jason* (2003) ★★
Hypnosil! It supresses your dreams!! Freddy brought back Jason to spread fear on Elm Street so he can gain power? Give me a break. At the 52-minute mark, overacting Mark eats it. Thank the Lord! Ok, this is the shittiest Jason sequel.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 9
16. We Are Still Here* (2015) ★★★(-)
We are still here, indeed. Ghosts. At least things get hairy.

16.5. American Horror Story: Freak Show Pink Cupcakes* S4/Ep05 (2014) ★★★★
17. American Horror Story: Freak Show Bullseye* S4/Ep06 (2014) ★★★★
17.5. American Horror Story: Freak Show Test of Strength* S4/Ep07 (2014) ★★★★★

Oct 10
18. American Horror Story: Freak Show Blood Bath* S4/Ep08 (2014) ★★★★

Oct 11
19. We Are What We Are* (2013) ★★★(+)
I seem to be watching a lot of slow movies. When they're intriguing, I love it. When they're not, it's a fucking nightmare. This was good. It's not clear why the family are cannibals. Is it supposed to be for immortality, or just a superstition?
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: REAL! / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0

20. Tremors 5: Bloodlines* (2015) ★★★(-)
I don't know what to think of all the kiddie previews at the beginning of this disc. The target demographic for Tremors 5 can't be the Disney crowd, can it? This had a made-for-tv vibe. A little too peppy for my tastes. Apparently you can say "Ass-Blaster" as many times as you want in a PG-13 movie. And I didn't need to be exposed to multiple Michael Gross crotch shots.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: X

20.5. American Horror Story: Freak Show Tupperware Party Massacre* S4/Ep09 (2014) ★★★★
I'm gonna hurl: X

Oct 12
21.5. Candy Stripers* (2006) ★★★(-)
Everything is horrible. The acting. The cheers. The ill-fitting basketball uniforms. A 3- is bad, right? Wait, I made the ratings.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: X

22. American Horror Story: Freak Show Orphans* S4/Ep10 (2014) ★★★(+)

Oct 13
23. Let Us Prey* (2014) ★★
Subtitles on. Okay, they've all done awful things and Davos from Game of Thrones knows. That's about my grasp of the movie. Did the shoe buffer at the police station come out of the taxpayers' money? Why the fuck would they have a shoe buffer other than to show a grisly death?
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: X

24. Jessabelle (2014) ★★★★
Effectively creepy PG-13 horror. Jessabelle is haunted by old VHS video tapes. What is the star, Australian? I've seen countless modern movies where actors do American accents. They're taking our jobs away! Get Donald Trump!
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: X

Oct 14
25. Red State* (2011) ★
Berserker!! I miss that guy. I remember when Kevin Smith made competent movies. Now we've got religious freaks and gun nuts (and walruses). Not my idea of a good time. I thought Michael Parks' "performance" was never going to end. The only positive I could pull out of this is that it looks like John Goodman lost some weight. Where is the horror, imdb?

Oct 15
26. Insidious: Chapter 3* (2015) ★★
First of all, the title is misleading. Another prequel?! Wasn't part 2 at least partly a prequel? I'm all prequeled out. I'm not sure this was necessary, except to cash in on the name and bring back a few characters.

26.5. American Horror Story: Freak Show Magical Thinking* S4/Ep11 (2015) ★★★★
27. American Horror Story: Freak Show Show Stoppers* S4/Ep12 (2015) ★★★★

Oct 16
27.5. American Horror Story: Freak Show Curtain Call* S4/Ep13 (2015) ★★★(+)
28.5. Housebound* (2014) ★★★(+)
Kylie is subjected to house arrest at her mother's. The place is haunted (or is it?). Lucky for her, her probation officer is a ghost hunter. That delinquent New Zealand chick was Hot with a capital H.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: hotwire action / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 17
29.5. Terror Firmer* (1999) ★★★(-)
I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Troma pictures. Too campy. The last one that I really liked was the original Toxic Avenger. The sequels sucked. This is supposed to be Troma's masterpiece? It was pretty much an exercise in discomfort. A 2-hour meandering mess that is just trying to be offensive. I'm giving it a bonus star for the sheer WTF? factor. I can't imagine if they had a real story to go with this level of absurdity. It might actually be good.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: X (plenty of hurling)

Oct 18
30.5. [REC]2* (2009) ★★★(-)
A bunch of shit happens. I didn't care.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: X

Oct 19
31.5. Final Destination (2000) ★★★★
These kids are doomed. DOOMED! A bunch of teens cheat Death, but Death isn't through with them. I was of course rooting for Death in Seann William Scott's case. And that guy Carter.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: 0

32.5. Final Destination 2 (2003) ★★★(+)
More of the same. Now a new girl is getting premonitions. A bit sillier than FD1, plus more gruesome deaths.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 20
33.5. Final Destination 3 (2006) ★★★(-)
Death needs to come after Franklin Cheeks, and every time he refers to himself in the 3rd person. I swear, they make these characters annoying intentionally. I'm not sure why I originally gave this 4 stars. Maybe it works better as a stand-alone movie. I'm guessing that I liked that everyone dies in the end. The best part was that there were a couple nods to the Ramones.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: 0

34.5. The Final Destination (2009) ★★★★
Love the opening credits, which are a tribute to the kills in the previous 3 movies. Nick has a premonition... If you haven't figured out the pattern by now, I don't know what to tell you. I know everyone hated this one. I thought it was the strongest entry so far.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 21
35.5. Final Destination 5 (2011) ★★★★
Maybe watching what is essentially the same movie 5 times over wasn't such a wise idea. At least it was a good movie. Once again, the opening credits refer to previous deaths. I liked how this wrapped around to the first movie, even though that makes this a "prequel".

Oct 22
36.25. The Walking Dead First Time Again* S6/Ep01 (2015) ★★★(+)
36.75. The Walking Dead JSS* S6/Ep02 (2015) ★★★(+)
37.75. You Can't Kill Stephen King* (2012) ★★★(+)
Better than I had anticipated. Some young ladies... and some older gents want to see Stephen King's house in Maine. What's the opposite of a cougar? They wind up being stalked and killed in a Stephen King-like fashion. I was sold on the title alone. There was a primo opportunity to say "You can't kill Stephen King" in here, and they squandered it.

Oct 23
38.5. American Horror Story: Hotel Checking In* S5/Ep01 (2015) ★★
39. Hellevator The Undertaker* (2015) ★★★(-)

Oct 24 Japanese Night!
40. Psycho Gothic Lolita (2010) ★★★★
Oh Asami, where have you steered me wrong? Yuki's (Rina Akiyama, 2007 Best Buttocks Award-winner according to imdb) mom is killed by some weird cult or something. We never find out why she was killed, which was promised by a thug. Liar! One of the killers is a teacher whose superpower is blowing up ladies' skirts with his mind. And he's beat up by a girl, like everyone else.

41. Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead (2011) ★★★★★
Completely revolting AND kick-ass chicks? Noboru Iguchi never fails! Asami appears here, too. A model wants to eat trout with parasites in order to stay thin for modeling gigs. Plenty of classic lines and moments.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: X

Oct 25
My Leprechaun reviews can be found here.
42. Leprechaun (1993) ★★★★
43. Leprechaun 2 (1994) ★★★★
44. Leprechaun 2 audio commentary* ★★★(+)

Oct 26
45. Leprechaun 3 (1995) ★★★(+)
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0
46. Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996) ★★★(+)

Oct 27
47. Leprechaun in the Hood (2000) ★★★(-)

Oct 28
48. Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood (2003) ★★★(-)
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: X / Old mirror gag: X / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: 0
49. Leprechaun: Origins* (2014) ★★★(-)
From prestigious director Zach Lipovsky. A modern/reboot/take on Leprechaun. Held my interest, but totally unnecessary. The leprechaun was pretty pitiful. Like they just melted down some bad costume. This probably went totally overlooked, but I think the final girl's ass was in tribute to Jennifer Aniston's in the first movie.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: No keys. Trope killer! / I'm gonna hurl: 0

Oct 29
50. The Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence* (2015) ★★★★
Clitorises! The creep from the 1st film returns and the creep from the 2nd film returns as different characters for 2x the creep. Dieter Laser is the sadistic prison warden who screams all his lines. I would've liked to have seen this character played by Bobcat Goldthwait.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: X / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: X

51. The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence (2014) ★★★(-)
Effectively horrifying, but I could never rate this expreience above a 3-. I'd be lying if I said seeing Martin constantly without his shirt on was the most disturbing thing in this movie, but it was pretty bad. The amateur surgery was painful to watch. The cutting of the knee ligaments has always haunted me! It was a brilliant move having the actress in the first movie appear as herself.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: X

Oct 30
51.5. Hellevator The Asylum* (2015) ★★★(-)
52. The Walking Dead Thank You* S6/Ep03 (2015) ★★★★
53. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (2009) ★★★(+)
I could never figure out why the doctor just sits through the Asian guy's lengthy speech, IN JAPANESE.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: 0 / I'm gonna hurl: X

Oct 31 The dead walk the earth!
53.5. Ash Vs. Evil Dead El Jefe* S1/Ep01 (2015) ★★★★
"It was uhh, bound in human flesh, inked in blood."
54.5. Dead Rising: Watchtower* (2015) ★★
Zach Lipovsky strikes again! Of course I'm ending on a bomb. Don't know how much my expectations factor into my opinion of this movie, but I'm a huge fan of the video game it's based on. I wanted to see the story of Frank West, not "Chase Carter". I also did not sign up for tender drama. Every time that plinking piano came up, I wanted to jam a pencil in my ear. Some seriously inept zombies. How the stars didn't get bit is beyond me.
Scorecard - Killer comeback: 0 / Must be really close: 0 / Old mirror gag: 0 / Just my luck: X / I'm gonna hurl: X

--

Trope Final Stats (out of 42 movies)
Killer comeback: 19 (45%)
It must be REALLY close: 15 (36%)
The old mirror gag: 14 (33%)
Just my luck: 11 (26%)
I'm gonna hurl: 13 (31%)

Total: 54.5
Movies: 42
FTV: 46

List Final

Last edited by walletboyniac; 11-02-15 at 10:44 AM.