View Single Post
Old 09-05-15, 11:40 PM   #32
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Goals:
100 Movies
31 Different Beers

Legend:

* = FTV

Wife's Thoughts In Blue
[/size]
- Sept 30th -
1.)
Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: I caught the 1968 version narrated by William Burroughs. This version is much akin the the Queen version of Metropolis but unlike that version tends to make the source material less effective. The odd jazzy score does not work especially well with what are otherwise pretty evocative creepy images. I was surprised at how good some of these scenes were, although the nature or black and white film defiantly helped. As a lifetime student of film I found this experience to be fascinating. I might have to even pick up the Criterion disc for some commentaries on this. I wonder what public reaction to this film was at the time...
(3.5 out of 5)
2.)
Dead Season (2012) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: A man with a sledgehammer and a few new acquaintances take a boat to a tropical island to escape the zombie apocalypse. If ever a property screamed to be called Dead Island. This felt a lot like an effort to emulate The Walking Dead, just with worse actors, effects, direction and editing. Despite that it did entertain, but just barely. Also I will give it props for 1 original idea (at least I have not seen it anywhere yet). The zombies in this one evolve at one point. The majority of the movie being Romero type and then turning 28 Days later toward the end. For those with this in your "to watch" pile, have jerky on hand as your movie snack for this one.
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 1st -
3.)
State Of Emergency (2011) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: A good zombie movie.. or was it more like The Crazies? An isolated incident in a rural county turns most of the residents into 28 Days Later zombies. Our story follows a group of survivors hold up in a wearhouse NOTLD style. Maybe it was just that I watched this back to back with Dead Season but I enjoyed it a lot. Zombies were actually menacing here, the acting wasn't stiff and wooden, and there was a surprising amount of actual tension. Good zombie movies seem to be few and far between lately but this was one of them.
(4 out of 5)
4.)
Bad Milo! (2013) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Shades of Ghoulies, hints of Critters, this is a movie for people who grew up with all those bad little monster flicks from the 80's. Milo might not be as original as Belial but he is just as fun and much less annoying than the Basket Case sequels. Milo is basically a stress monster that lives in the leads ass. And if you are still reading after that last sentence you might be the target audience for this film. They went puppet instead of CG which totally made the movie for me, there is something about actors with a puppet that is so much more visceral than when they act against nothing. Go in expecting a silly horror comedy and you will not be disappointed.
(4.5 out of 5)
5.)
Commentary For Bad Milo! (2013) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Fun commentary with the writer, director and male/female leads. One of the first things mentioned in the track was that they were heavily inspired by The Brood, can't believe I missed that connection, it is very obvious. I generally like my creative and acting talent tracks separate as one side always kind of bogs down the other. For instance a directors track could get really technical and meta where an actors track is generally all about people and experiences. This one was a decent mix of both, not an out of the park experience but entertaining with a few laughs.
(3.5 out of 5)
6.)
Alone In The Dark (1982) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Bit of an all star cast on this one; Jack Palance, Martin Landau and of course Donald Pleasance. The ladder who is of course running an insane asylum until one fateful night when a citywide blackout allows the worst of the worst to escape. Donald Pleasance patients are always escaping. And while I have described what seems to be a fairly run of the mill 80's slasher this movie is very much stuck in the 70's. Love the atmosphere, the accosting of the house and that little glimmer of hope that maybe if you could just convince them... I am surprised I have never heard of this before. Watch it here.
(3.5 out of 5)
7.)
The Sentinel (1977) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: This has been on my "watch list" for years after receiving a favorable mention somewhere or another. Much like Rosemary's Baby this is another too good to be true New York apartment with a dark secret. I really liked this movie, creepy movies set in a bustling metropolis are hard to pull off but oh so satisfying. You couldn't make a movie like this today, apartments.com reviews would spoil everything. Also the amount of surprise star power in this movie is ridiculous!
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 2nd -
8.)
Lifeforce (1985) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Ah, Lifeforce, one of my greatest blind buys of all time. I tired to talk to a few other self described horror fans at work about this epic recently only to be shocked that none of them had ever heard of it! And that was reason enough to give it some play here during the challenge. This is a perfect 80's genre flick, it's got an ancient derelict spacecraft, hot naked vampire chicks, a crazy zombie/poltergeist contagion angle and even a melting Patrick Stewart. I was saddened to find out that my DVD is picture boxed and that the collectors edition blu is OOP but I guess the regular blu will just have to suffice. Also this movie really got me thinking about Halley's Comet. I will be 77 when it comes back around, if I am still kickn' I think I would like to go view it from Ayers Rock.
(5 out of 5)
9.)
Night Of The Demon (1980) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: I am usually not a fan of Big Foot movies, they are either to stupid, slow or oddly family friendly. But what if Big Foot flipped out and started killing people Voorhees style? I am talking stabbing girl scouts and ripping guys dicks off. Yeah it's that kind of movie. Not a good movie but defiantly my kind of movie. And props to Mondo Kane for the pick.
(3.5 out of 5)
10.)
The Car (1977) (VHS)
My Thoughts: Devil car film, like legit can't go on hollowed ground and is magically impervious to bullets devil car film. This film really felt like a made for tv film, it was about as tame as you can get when it comes to cars running people over. The whole time I wished I was watching another evil auto film. James Brolin was looking very Burt Reynolds-ish in this though, at oe point my wife walked by and said 'Bandit?' Otherwise there were one or two little redeeming bits of craziness here but otherwise this is just sort of bland.
(3 out of 5)
11.)
Vacancy (2007) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: This has been in my wife's side of "to watch" pile for several years. So I decided to finally liberate it for tonights theme. And low and behold it turned out to be a surprisingly decent killer evasion movie. Kate Beckinsale and Luke Wilson play a troubled couple who's middle of nowhere breakdown lands them in an near abandoned snuff motel. Especially poignant for me and the wife as this is the kind of place we used to stay on road trips when we were younger. I liked it, one of those good 'what would you do' type of situations.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It is pretty good and very realistic but I need better ending. They speak little louder, I couldn’t hear most of stuff. And tunnel is good and I thought sheriff mostly come two people together. Why they did not come two? I like better ending.
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 3rd -
12.)
Four Skulls Of Nathan Drake (1959) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Shrunken head exploitation! I have always wanted to have a shrunken head, ever since seeing my first one at the local zoo (I know, weird right?). A family who used to be quite the world trekkers several generations ago are still afflicted by a curse they picked up in South America, they die at 60 and then their heads disappear. Assumably to be shrunken. Rich people have the weirdest problems. I liked how the police were actually a big part of this movie, that doesn't happen a lot in horror faire. There is some surprisingly gruesome scenes for the time, decapitation, the depiction of head shrinking and this super weird henchman, who'd head is made up like a shrunken head but he is full sized....? Fun stuff, for a decade that is fairly boring when it comes to horror.
(3.5 out of 5)
13.)
Horror Of Dracula (1958) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: One of my prizes from last years challenge! This is the first time I have seen the original Hammer Dracula, having only seen several of the sequels thus far. The original is very in line with the book, a man called to Dracula's castle, that little village pub that never wants to talk to anybody, you know the gist. It was actually a bit too close to the source materials for my taste. But I will enjoy introducing my daughter to this character in this film in the future. Also Van Helsing listening to How To Kill A Vampire on a Edison Cylinder Phonograph & a Barbara Crampton look-a-like.
(3 out of 5)
14.)
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: So this Dracula set is missing a few films but it they always go into how he was previously killed so it doesn't really effect the experience that much. This time he had been frozen in ice, and everyone thought that that was the ticket apparently, even after he had obviously come back before. This is almost the sequalish classic Hammer Dracula that I like but it is missing one thing: Peter Cushing. This time Dracula is harassing a preacher who dared to bless and hang a cross on his castle in his absence. Enjoyable but still not one of the better Hammer Draculas.
(3 out of 5)
15.)
Commentary For Crawlspace (1986) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I came into this commentary wanting only one thing: story of Klaus Kinski being crazy. And I was not disappointed. Not only is almost the entire commentary about how Kinski was a terror to work with, the director also makes a dvd supplement about it. He also delves into the fascinating world of Empire Pictures. There is this one anecdote where he talks about how almost all of the movies they made were just random titles sent to a poster maker and distributers would come in and pick the posters they liked and then they would go make up a plot for that poster and make it. One of the most entertaining tracks I have listened to this year.
(4.5 out of 5)
16.)
Deliver Us From Evil (2014) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Last movie of the night, the decision was between 80's cheese or relatively well received recent release. Or do I want to laugh or feel scared? And then I noticed that Olivia Munn was in this movie, and that clinched it. A Brooklyn cop must face his greatest challenge to date, an... Iraqi demon? It was actually a really captivating movie, very Exorcist III and a little bit Se7en. I like getting these authority/protector figures out of their element and into the supernatural, much like The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake yesterday. Exorcism do keep getting more and more extreme though, I wonder how much crazier they can get before it us just too over the top. I loved the black guy watching the exorcism though it was hilarious.
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 4th -
17.) - 19.)
Commentary For The Shining Parts 1-3 (1997) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: This is a split track with the director, lead actor, Stephen King and a few others that pop in here and there. Not a big fan of split tracks but I understand the logistics of getting so much talent together for 4+ hours so I will have to give them a pass on that. Of course King is the most interesting to listen to, relating stores as to how he originally wrote The Shining or conversations he had with Stanley Kubrick but he doesn't talk near as much as you would want. Felt like maybe only 1/10th of the time was King. There are a few interesting "exchanges" where one person is talking about how much they like a certain scene and cut to another participant and they hate it for one reason or another. But ultimately this is a commentary track on a not so good property and that does hinder it somewhat. Well worth a listen for King fanatics and the odd group of people who prefer this version.
(3 out of 5)
20.)
Fear The Walking Dead S01E06/Talking Dead Fear Special (2015) (TV)*
My Thoughts: First off I am not a fan of AMC's 6 episode first seasons! This series had an interesting flow, I was fairly disappointed at the onset but seemed to like each successive episode more than the previous. The season ended with a bang, heard warfare, military collapse, exodus from the city. I was pleased with this spin off and will continue to follow it in the future, now they just need one more and they can have year round WD. Lets have the next one be a comedy though, eh?
(4 out of 5)
21.)
Cannibal Man (1973) (VHS)
My Thoughts: Barely a horror movie as much as a murder slippery slope. I was super disappointed when I first bought this as the title and cover are complete misrepresentations of the subject matter. I am still a little sour about that misspent $20 some 20 years ago. Anyway the story involves a man who accidentally kills someone while protecting his lady friend. And then in an effort to not go to jail he has to keep killing people, like a lot of other people. The problem is, how can one get rid of a body in a very urban area? Not a bad movie but I still can't bring myself to enjoy it over my personal bad blood.
(2.5 out of 5)
- Oct 5th -
22.)
Return To Nuke 'Em High Volume 1 (2013) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I made sure that I was libatiously enhanced for this film but I still had a hard time enjoying it. And I was able to enjoy Poultrygeist so I am open to being entertained by the new Troma. This is basically a reboot of the franchise which had gotten a bit out of hand with the giant nuclear squirrel and belly button mouth clones. One thing I will say is just like in Poultrygeist they lucked out with their lead actress who was super cute, funny and easily the best actor on screen. That and I really liked all the homages to both the original and Class of Nuke 'Em High sequels. Unfortunately there was just so much outright stupidity in this movie that it really taints the good stuff. I am open to volume 2 and maybe revisiting this in a few years but it has not been a high point for Troma. Also what is up with the non-Troma trailers that proceed the title? Sacrilege!
(2.5 out of 5)
23.)
Class Of Nuke 'Em High (1986) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: I immediately had to pop in the original for counterpoint on this one. Even though overtime I do I always have to watch the nude yoga special feature on the disc (which is not quite as good as it sounds). The original is a classic beyond reproach and it is kind amazing how even 30 years later everything is better in the original. The bad acting in the original is better than most of the good acting in the remake and the effects which you would think would be better now are way better in the original. I hope I can get my daughter into the 80's movie mind set when she is a little older. I actually have a younger employee that told me she loves watching 80's movies with her mom and that made me kind of happy to hear. This has been kind of a scatter brain review but sufficed to say this movie gets replay in my house, quite a feat considering my ever growing amount of content.
(4 out of 5)
24.)
Commentary For Return To Nuke 'Em High Volume 1 (2013) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: There are two commentaries on the disc, one with Lloyd and one with the cast. I went with the cast comedy, it was a very high energy track, everyone was really excited to be there and to talk about the film. I think maybe there might have been too many people there as it would often devolve into everyone trying to talk at once but it was entertaining. There seemed to be a lot less go wrong on set than the normal Troma production, at least based on this track which is unfortunate as that is the best part about listening to a Troma Team Production track. Decent commentary with no lulls but did suffer from a lack of substance.
(3 out of 5)
25.)
Ubaldo Terzani Horror Show (2010) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I kind of liked the premise of this movie; horror fan and aspiring director stays over at the house of a famous horror novelist for inspiration on his movie but things aren't always what they seem. Had a little Blade In The Dark angle going there but that is about as close as it gets to a real Galileo. The film came off as overly pretencious in their efforts to be meta and while it did have some ultra gore it was ultra cheap ultra gore. It got a bit better at the end but not enough to make much of a difference overall. And the movie ended with the director making the film we just saw and man is that a tired hat. Is tired hat an expression? Too late I am going with it.
(2 out of 5)
26.)
Terror Train (1980) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: A rare treat, a new 80's slasher to enjoy and with Jamie Lee to boot! I don't know how I have never seen this movie (might have had something to do with the horrible DVD art) but I am glad I was finally able to catch it. My first thought was, damn I should have gone to med school, I have never went to a party this fucking nice. Satisfying 80's murders on a party train in the middle of no where. Nothing really amazing about this movie but it was super satisfying, comfortable yet new. There is something so almost serine about a besieged Jamie Lee Curtis, just feels right. This is everything you want in an 80's slasher.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It is pretty good. But it was slow in the middle and get little bored and I did not expect the girl is the Kenny. Jamie Lee did great job, I know why she is in the Halloween movie now. (I provided erroneous order of release info here). (I) learn valuable lesson, don’t be mean to anyone/don’t humiliate anyone. But I guess its the Doc guy thats the worst one, other people not that bad.
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 6th -
27.)
Full Tilt Boogie (1997) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A wonderful slice of life from the production of From Dusk Till Dawn. There are a few cornball staged segments and the whole thing reeks of a freshman effort but what is captured here is extremely cathartic. You actually feel like you are hanging out with the crew and going to the bars with George and Quentin. Not every behind the scenes documentary makes me consider a change of careers, but this one did.
(4 out of 5)
28.) - 29.)
American Horror Story S04E10-13 (2014-2015) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: As is a tradition of mine I always fall of the American Horror Story horse, only to get back on again when October comes around. The end of Freakshow got a bit crazy and unfortunately not is a good way, more in a lets just kill everyone way. And really after Moi Petite it's hard to feel too bad for anyone who is still sticking around at this point. With the exception of Pepper. Pepper was not my favorite character, in fact she made me kind of uncomfortable but her story deeply moved me. Kind of made me hate being a human. And the connection they made there with Asylum was fantastic. Another thing that I really appreciate, that they started doing with Asylum is not ending the show at the natural drama/horror high. But taking the characters into the future and showing how things continue to progress in their lives. I wish more shows did that. This season was a mixed bag, some amazing episodes, heart wrenching ones, horrible ones, boring ones but overall it is a series that will continue to get my viewership. I hope they get a little more supernatural with Hotel tomorrow night.
(3 - 4.5 out of 5)
30.)
30 Days of Night: Dark Days (2010) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I was not a big fan of the first one but it has been so long and the sequel was so heap that I thought I would give it a shot. And I was kind of digging it on the onset, the last remaining survivor doing tours and talking about what really happened and maybe killing some vamps along the way. Then it evolved into a poor mans Blade and got boring in a hurry. Lots of shooting vamps with guns, bad acting & vampires screeching. Really just an all around piece of direct to video trash.
(2 out of 5)
- Oct 7th -
31.)
Let The Right One In (2008) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I saw and really liked the remake several years ago but am just now getting around to watching the original. An even essentially knowing all the plot beats I was still wowed by this one. It's so oddly captivating and different enough from the remake to still feel fresh. In fact there were many effects that were way better in the original. The is currently front runner for best movie of the challenge for me. On a side note, did anyone else think that the boy in this one actually looked like Chloe from the remake?
(5 out of 5)
32.)
Commentary For Fright Night (1985) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: It was defiantly tempting not to open this one and flip it on eBay, not the $300 they were going for on the first printing but these reprints are still fetching in the $80 range. This was a panel style commentary with a moderator, the director and the two villain actors. It was a great track with a lot of info, the stuff about Roddy McDowell and the directors scorn for the sequel were the most interesting bits. This would have probably been an ordinary track on something else but I love the source material on this one so it would have made even banal enjoyable. And now I think I need to watch the other track with the kid actors.
(4 out of 5)
33.)
2nd Commentary For Fright Night (1985) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: And somehow I have had a unintentional mini-vam-thon. This track was pretty disappointing, first off the levels are awful, you have to crank the volume to hear the conversation but then get blasted overtime someone laughs, which is frequently. And what is worse is that there is a lot of re-tred from the last track. Maybe if I hadn't have heard the first track I could have been a little more into it. But from now on I will be sticking to the first commentary track on this item only, in fact I should write myself a little note and put it in the case.
(2.5 out of 5)
34.)
Sisters Of Death (1976) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A horrible accident during a sorority initiation, casts a dark shadow over a group of young girls. Fast forward 7 years and they are all mysterious invited to a reunion. This film was a little slow and not very original but it had a familiar feel about it that made it watchable. Kind of a Crown International type thing going on. There is murder, revenge, electrified fences and a girl who really looks like Ann Margaret. The film is rated PG, which is strange considering the subject matter, and sort of plays out like a made for tv movie. Not the sort of thing one would rush out and buy but as a part of a multi movie pack it is not a burden to get thru.
(3 out of 5)
35.)
As Above, So Below (2014) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Review contains ending spoilers. You know, I kind of liked this movie. It had a touch of Natural Treasure to it and some legitimately interesting urban exploration (actually filmed in the catacombs in paris). Things do go kind of off the rocker during the climax but it was enjoyable. Way better than the other catacombs movie that a lot of us watched a few years back. One of the things I liked about this is that it isn't actually "found footage", some of the people made it out. Everyone dying at the end now being the cliche. So it was nice to have a happyish ending for once on one of these.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Beginning was pretty good and very realistic some event. But middle and start ending it is become ridiculous and being a zombie movie almost. I might visit catagome but I go only tours. Choto disappoint movie, I thought more historical stuff.
(2.5 out of 5)
- Oct 8th -
35.75)
American Horror Story S05E01 (2015) (TV)*
My Thoughts: Not sure how I felt about this season opener. For each of the other seasons of American Horror Story I was decidedly hooked after episode one. This time it felt more like they were just trying to show cool/creepy stuff in rapid succession. A Se7en style murderer being pursued by a police officer who has watched too much Twin Peaks, a rich eccentric eccentric wannabe vampire, junkie ghosts. The hotel it's self was really great, that is a place I would like to stay (except for the murdering and the rape). A rocky if stylish start.
(3.5 out of 5)
36.)
Married With Children: Take My Wife, Please (1993) (TV)*
My Thoughts: You know, I still got a few laughs out of this show. Not great tv by todays standards but there is something just so likable about the Bundies and their antics. On all hallows eve, death comes to claim Al but strikes a deal with him that if his family says they need him he will be allowed to live. This was a fun little time capsule. And I am defiantly looking forward to some of the other halloween episodes on this disc.
(3 out of 5)
37.)
The Killer Eye (1999) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Actual dialog: Q: "What are you looking for? A: "The Killer Eye, it's a big eyeball floating around diddiling everybody." This is basically a Surrender Cinema movie that is light on sex and heavier on the plot. Which of course makes it kind of horrible. You really only watch movie starting Jacqueline Lovell to see her naked, a lot. There is a little bit here but it is nothing compared to actual Surrender Cinema stuff she did. You get way more of her neighbor, an actress who is... maybe not quite built for this type of part. The movie is 72 minutes long (including the credit) and in that 72 minutes every scene seems to drag on for an eternity. If I hadn't of gotten this for free I would be pretty disappointed.
(1.5 out of 5)
38.)
Godzilla (1998) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: I always feel like I have to defend myself for liking certain movies; Waterworld, Battlefield Earth, Godzilla, The Postman. People who can't enjoy these have just frankly not seen enough movies. I am not saying that they are Citizen Kane but there is fun to be had with them. So I saw this one in the theater, I owned the soundtrack, watched it over and over again on HBO, this was a mainstay of my childhood. It is entertaining to see New York destroyed (again), the cast is likable in a cheesy movie way and you get essentially a raptor chase thru Madison Square Garden. It's a spectacle movie and it delivers on that. It's not stomach churning like Cloverfield, super sci-fi like Pacific Rim or near as vapid as the trash the SyFy channel is putting out now a days. I was I liked it. If anyone else was curious what Siscel and Ebert thought of their on screen betrayal you can watch their review here (spoiler: they were not amused). And I am looking forward to seeing the more recent American Godzilla outing once I can find the 3D blu at a good price.
(3.5 out of 5)
39.)
Insidious (2010) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Had to turn the lights on when I went to get a new beer. This was a very effective ghost/haunting movie that maybe showed a little too much detail towards the end but was legit scary. Actually I can't get scared anymore except for the ghost genre for some reason it is the only one that does it for me anymore. There is just something primal about that unknown thing in the dark that a gooey creature or a maniac just can't touch.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It was pretty good. But I couldn’t imagine it was connected to that dad childhood, bring to the same situation as his boy. I need to see the two to find out what happened to them.
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 9th -
40.)
Wyrmwood: Road Of The Dead (2014) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: They changed a lot of the rules of the zombie apocalypse for this one, and while that might have soured me on it if it were an American production those foul mouth Aussies pulled it off. This dark horror comedy has zombies for fuel, telepathic control of the undead, an evil military and beer in the medkit. An enjoyable indie effort, don't know if I feel the need to add this to my collection but I enjoyed watching it at least once.
(3.5 out of 5)
41.)
The Battery (2012) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I picked this up after hearing a lot of positive buzz about it during last years horror challenge and you guys were right. A highly enjoyable bromance zombie apocalypse film. It really felt like this could be set in the Walking Dead universe, just a few states over. And what I appreciated the most was there was a strong focus on scavenging which is really the think I find most interesting about the zombie apocalypse, hunting for those last few resources. The ending did drag and for a slower film anyway that is saying something so I had to dock the score a little there. Otherwise this has been one of favorite group of survivors. And I would love to see a slightly faster paced revenge based sequel.
(3.5 out of 5)
42.)
Commentary For The Battery (2012) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: An ok if subdued track. Has the two stars of the film and they generally talk about what was cut and how they had managed to make this movie for 6k. I like that they were genre fans and made lots of references throughout. Stuff like "Darkness encroaches like the nothing in Neverending Story".
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 10th -
43.)
Horror Express (1972) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: My second train based horror movie this challenge. I am guessing by the horrible a/v quality of this one that it is a public domain film. It's basically The Hidden, made in the 70's with a Hammer cast and set on a train. So, pretty awesome. It has the weird almost spaghetti western soundtrack and Telly Savas hamming it up like there is no tomorrow. The science is kind of awful but this was a surprisingly good B movie.
(4 out of 5)
44.)
Rifftrax For Frankenstein Island (1981) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: This is such a ridiculous movie that I don't know if I could have enjoyed it straight. It is a perfect candidate for Rifftax though, long stretches of silence, a meandering disjointed plot, horrible acting/effects. This is perhaps the most I have chuckled all month. And surprisingly topical track too, mentioning thinks like Robot Chicken, David Carradine and Skrillex. I will certainly be adding more Rifftrax to the 'to watch' pile after this treat.
(4.5 out of 5)
- Oct 11th -
45.)
Vampire In Brooklyn (1995) (Internet)
My Thoughts: I feel like this could have been a more enjoyable property if it wan't just Coming to America with a vampire. When this first came out I was stoked. Craven, Murphy, that chick from Critters 4, it's a can't loose picture! Unfortunately the comedy was juvenile, the plot lacked substance and that weird ass accent they had Eddie do just threw everything off (Caribbean Royalty (sounds like a bad cologne)). I'll give them props for not taking the easy PG-13 on this one and despite it's over the top silliness I did like the ghoul and his uncle. It is watchable, but just.
(3 out of 5)
45.75)
The Walking Dead S06E01 (2015) (TV)*
My Thoughts: Well something had to go terribly wrong, things were just going too well there with the plan. I liked this large scale public works opening. But I do feel like walking the problem 20 miles down the road might not be the best idea, a group of birds and all the sudden they are back. I would have taken a ton of ammo and just put people on top of the trucks and had shooting contests, you could be done by nightfall. Or they might to just have 1000+ rounds to spare. It was a very interesting and unique idea set in the zombie apocalypse. I know one thing for sure, what I am doing on Sunday nights.
(4 out of 5)
46.25)
The Talking Dead S05E01 (2015) (TV)*
My Thoughts: Such an odd premise for a show when you thing about it. Let's talk about the thing you just watched. It costs nothing and I imagine it has a pretty good retention rate with viewers. It is a live DVD special feature. Ethan Embry again, to me he will always be the guy from FreakyLinks, so it is a little sad seeing him look so old. Decent episode but it is better to not have the creatives on this show seeing as how they have to always be so tight lipped about future plot points.
(3.5 out of 5)
- Oct 12th -
47.25)
Nightmare Castle (1965) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: I just couldn't get into this one. I hate to be that guy but I really think I would have liked it more in color. Maybe because I watch way too much HGTV and really just want to oggle their "castle." But some of it also might be that I had a severely cut down Mill Creek version of this. I found myself frequently just staring at Barbara Steele's weird vampiric face and was somewhat surprised at the out of nowhere crazy finale. Meh.
(2 out of 5)
48.25)
Return Of The Killer Tomatoes! (1988) (DVD)
My Thoughts: I fucking love this movie. I'll take this over Top Secret! or Airplane any day of the week. It is the perfect 80's spoof movie. It builds on the original cult classic, while making fun of it and constantly breaking the 4th wall. You can't really do that anymore without it seeming kind of lame, but it ok in the 80's. I really wish Karen Waldron (the tomato girl) did more movies in the 80's, even so, this one and Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death certainly left their mark on my young mind. I grappled with what rating to give this movie as it is not a traditionally good movie but I gotta go with the way it makes me feel.
(5 out of 5)
- Oct 13th -
49.25)
Insidious Chapter 2 (2013) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: The tension, the scares, they were not there this time. Too much repeated tropes from the first and frankly just too much ghost-ery. I never got that feeling where I needed to turn all the lights on when I needed to have a bathroom break. I did like that it was a next day sequel though, those are rare and just in themselves somewhat satisfying. But that may also have been what made this not work for me; they sort of kept the tempo of the final act of the first movie and stretched it out over the entirety of chapter 2. Should you skip this one, no. Completing the story of this family is worth it and there were a couple of hair tingling moments. But I have no intention of checking out the third one.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It was pretty good. And I enjoy better than original one one. I am very looking forward to see three. I am sure Josh is still evil.
(4.5 out of 5)
50.25)
Don't Look In The Basement (1973) (DVD)
My Thoughts: I young woman gets a job at an alternative therapy home for the insane and arrives just as things start to go horribly wrong. People seem crazier the grainier the film is. And not just that but in older movies people seem to be much more unhinged than they do in more recently set asylum films. And it's always these more free range asylums that have all the problems. This movie is a bit of a one trick pony and once you have seen it it is just not as effective on re-views. It is a Video Nasty and good to see at least once for it's place in horror cinema history, just don't have high expectations.
(3 out of 5)
51.25)
Don't Open The Door! (1974) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Same director, much of the same cast as Don't Look In The Basement, not to mention a similar pushy title. This time about a woman who returns to her old hometown to care for her ailing grandmother. She is then harassed by the curator of a local museum and starts to loose it. I liked this one a bit better than the first, gets a bit more psycho sexual and crazy people are always scarier when they are outside the asylum. The plot does plod a little bit but a better effort by this director. He should have done one more and they could have made money selling the Don't... trilogy for decades.
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 14th -
52.25)
Nightmare City (1980) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: I bought this title on VHS a long time ago, at the time it was dubbed, cut and under a different title (City Of The Living Dead). As a zombie movie I did not care for it. This time though as a more Contagion type of movie, I liked it a lot more. True this radiation contagion does make their faces look very zombie-ish and the only way to take them down is to shoot them in the head but they don't want to eat you, they just want your blood and to carpool (they seriously frequently carpool places, before jumping out and starting their blood sucking murder sprees). It was a fun movie with lots of violence and hints of the zombie apocalypse. Give it a go as an interesting non-sub genre specific offshoot.
(4 out of 5)
52.5)
NewsRadio S03E05 (1996) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: This was never a can't miss show but for 30 minutes of fluff it was always pleasant to watch. This episode is about the news team not getting an invite to the Jimmy James's halloween party. There was an odd bit of morbidity here when a psychic tells Phil Hartman's character that he would die in the year 2032, he would have had 36 more years instead of just the 2 years before his murder. Dave getting back to his Kids In The Hall roots and into drag (he always was the most passable as a lady). And a furry?
(3 out of 5)
53.5)
Annabell (2014) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Not nearly as good as The Conjuring, or even just the Annabell scenes in The Conjuring. But better than Insidious 2 and the period piece aspect did keep it fresh. I think I just need to take a spectral break for a bit here and get back into the mindset where I can just really let this stuff get under my skin.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Is that true story? It is pretty good and some history I can see that. But I thought it’s beginning happen, that couple is talk about more, but nothing just talk about curse. But I like it, it realistic movie. Doll always look same, same face, same as Chucky face, just different hairstyle.
(4.5 out of 5)
54.5)
Wolfcop (2014) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I feel like I am loosing a little street cred here, with the glowing review of Return Of The Killer Tomatoes and now with Wolfcop. I liked this movie, now I must disclaimer that by saying I don't recommend watching this 100% sober (that would probably leave a bad taste in your mouth). But as an enhanced viewing experience this was dumb fun. I am not going to even go into the plot, you know enough by the cover to get a sense of what is going on. This is a werewolf movie set in the Hobo With A Shotgun universe. Some surprisingly good werewolf effects here, I liked that he just completely sheds the top of his flesh when the wolf comes out ("What is that, a face?" "Hey Lou it kind of looks like you!") Go in with low expectations and something to drink an there is fun to be had here.
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 15th -
55.25)
American Horror Story S05E02 (2015) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Getting a little more info on the hotels past, and some of that historical evil I like so much. I hope there is a blueprints scene somewhere in this season. The detective frantically looking over the saying this can't be right, or something to that accord. Also I think I am becoming a Lady Gaga fan. Her face really fits in well with her character/timeline.
(3.5 out of 5)
56.25)
Nightmares (1983) (DVD)
My Thoughts: While each segment is a kind of a ripoff of another movie, the familiarity of the plots makes it a more cathartic experience, like hearing a different version of a popular story around the campfire. The escaped mental patient, the huge devil rat, a demonic motor vehicle and of course the gem of this title: the video game cautionary tale. The latter having a young Emilio Estevez as an 80's arcade punk who sneaks in after hours to beat the unbeatable game, only to find the last level more dangerous than he ever imagined. This has always been one of my favorite anthologies, I like how they have a name actor for every story and anything in here could be one of the better episode of say Tales From The Darkside. I am a bit saddened that I didn't see the blu was coming out sooner and cash in on my OOP DVD release.
(4 out of 5)
57.25) - 57.75)
Friday The 13th: The Series S03E01-03 (1989) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Wow, picture quality seems even worse than previous seasons. We open season three with the less than spectacular 2 part death of Ryan and introduction of another platonic male relative. Ryan should have gone out with a little more of a bang but I guess the actor could see the writing on the wall. The next episode did turn it around a bit when out paranormal team crossed paths with some Demon hunters on the chase of a Rawhead Rex baddie. I never watched the later seasons always being put off by the cast change so this should at least interesting to get a few more episodes of an old favorite.

(2.5 - 3 out of 5)
- Oct 16th -
58.)
That 70's Show S02E05 (1999) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: The gang go to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and then spend Halloween in their old burnt down school looking through each others permanent records. That 70's show was a big part of my youth, I watched it a lot and there is a fond place in my heart for all of these characters. I am a sucker for Fox sitcoms though (to my own detriment, with the frequency of their cancelations). Above average episode, early series episode. So far that $5 Halloween specials DVD I bought was totes worth it.
(3.5 out of 5)
59.)
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Killing it lately with the foreign vampire movies! But I do feel that this is defiantly heavily inspired by Let The Right One In just with a lot more cat. When I first started watching this movie I thought to myself that this is the Iran they should show more often. Then as I watched it there started developing this weird correlation with American things and evil. The vampire loves 80's American music. The good boy had to leave his evil American skateboard so that he could go and be good (which the evil vampire took). It was a fascinating watch and I think the only Iranian movie I have ever seen and while I might not have liked some of the underlying themes it was a really good movie. Not sure how many times I will be accepting of re-tellings of Let The Right One In though...
(4.5 out of 5)
More →

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-31-15 at 12:42 PM.