Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Apple TV Thread

Old 12-12-13, 10:06 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
The Apple TV Thread

Apple TV has been on a roll lately. They've make some great additions in the past couple months. And this week's update brings some more good apps.

The new ABC app looks great with about 4-5 of the latest episodes for each series. And the Crackle app has HD video which is a big improvement over other streaming devices.

Apple TV Adds ABC, Sony Crackle, Bloomberg and Korean TV Apps

Apple continues to lure more content partners to its $99 streaming-video box, adding access for Apple TV users to new apps for Disney’s Watch ABC, Sony’s Crackle, Bloomberg and Korean TV service KORTV.

The new services became available Wednesday, according to Apple’s website, as first spotted by 9to5Mac. Apple TV now offers 27 content apps, including HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Watch Disney Channel, WatchESPN, PBS and Yahoo Screen.

Watch ABC provides access to full episodes from the Alphabet net — as well as live TV in select markets including New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago and Philadelphia – to subscribers of participating cable and satellite providers. The ABC streaming service, also accessible online and via iOS apps, is currently available through Comcast, AT&T U-verse, Charter, Cox, Cablevision and Verizon FiOS.

The Bloomberg app provides free access to live and on-demand programming from the financial news net, and Crackle offers hundreds of free movies and TV series including originals. KORTV offers 10 free and seven premium South Korean channels, with each premium network priced at $1.99 to $3.99 monthly.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news...ps-1200944756/

Last edited by TheBigDave; 12-12-13 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Apple TV Thread

I love my Apple TV and wouldn't give it up for the world, but at this point they're just playing catch-up to Roku, which has had Crackle for years.

It's disappointing the ABC app requires you to log in through a cable or satellite provider. Sort of defeats the idea of being a cord-cutter.
Old 12-12-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

So does the ESPN app
Old 12-12-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts

The Kortv would interest me if it is subbed. But i'm already d/ling about 20 different Korean dramas each week with subtitles. Not counting some variety and music shows.
Old 12-12-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems weird that you have to have a cable or satellite subscription for the ABC app since, y'know, you can watch ABC for free over-the-air.
Old 12-12-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Seems weird that you have to have a cable or satellite subscription for the ABC app since, y'know, you can watch ABC for free over-the-air.
Exactly. You can also watch episodes for free on the ABC website without a cable provider.
Old 12-13-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I got home from work tonight I tried to use the ABC app.

To make matters worse, there are only six cable providers that are allowing use of the app. No satellite. If you aren't a customer of one of the six the app is useless to you.
Old 12-26-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Set up my new Apple TV, very nice box, love all the content. In addition the iPad mirroring is cool and works very well. Looks like I have a lot of new things to check out!
Old 12-26-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Enjoy!

I love my Apple TV! But I also agree that the Roku has better apps and functionality.

However, being in Canada, I'm able to change the DNS manually on the Apple TV (which the Roku won't do) in order to access Netflix US and Hulu+. That's a huge plus for me and I have lots of iTunes digital files.
Old 01-13-14, 09:40 PM

Amazon has the latest model Apple TV on sale for $79.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007I5JT4S/
Old 01-24-14, 08:20 AM

9to5Mac reports a new AppleTV set-top box will be coming in the next couple months.

Sources say new Apple TV box likely coming soon, App/Game Store possible

We’ve learned that Apple is making progress on its development of a successor to the current Apple TV and that the device is well into testing. We are led to believe that the new device, which is said to be a set-top box rather than a full-fledged TV set, will likely be introduced in the first half of 2014. We understand that the product will include a revamped operating system that will be based on iOS. Of course, release timeframes with these type of products can quickly change due to the content partners that are involved in such products…

Our sources previously indicated that Apple is experimenting with new input methods for TV-related products such as motion controls, but it is unclear if that Kinect-like interface is in the cards for this year’s Apple TV product. iLounge reported earlier today that Apple is preparing an update to the Apple TV that will add gaming content. We understand that the new Apple TV will include new types of content, leading us to believe that an App Store or a “Game Store” for the device is under consideration. Apple will likely promote this new store with the new hardware, but the company has definitely considered allowing users of the current-generation Apple TV to update to the new software redesign.

We’ve previously profiled Apple’s work on allowing content makers to make channels/apps for the current Apple TV. Apple has been streamlining the development process of Apple TV apps in recent months and making it easier for its partners to build apps for the platform, but its current SDK still only consists of XML templates and guidelines for mostly video streaming apps. Apple senior executives are said to have been against adding a full-fledged App Store experience to the Apple TV, but perhaps those feelings have changed.

FULL ARTICLE - http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/23/new-ap...tore-possible/
Old 01-24-14, 08:24 AM

Here's the games info from iLounge:

Reports: Apple TV to add games in coming update

iLounge has heard from reliable industry sources that Apple TV will soon be getting proper game support in an update, likely to come in March or earlier. We’ve heard that developers are currently working on Bluetooth controller options, and it’s expected that games could be downloaded directly to the Apple TV rather than relying on another iOS device as an intermediary. One developer has suggested that game support could be backward-compatible with the current-generation Apple TV. However, it’s unknown what current Apple TVs would use for storage — it’s possible iCloud could be part of a solution. This update would effectively put Apple TV on par with the latest Roku devices, which have already had their own app stores for some time. An Apple TV App Store has been awaited for years.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...coming-update/
Old 02-06-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does AppleTV differ from something like Chromecast? Is it just like an interface where you can organize portals to Hulu & Netflix, or does it have its own content as well?
Old 02-06-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts

It has all the content from iTunes.
Old 02-06-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
How does AppleTV differ from something like Chromecast? Is it just like an interface where you can organize portals to Hulu & Netflix, or does it have its own content as well?
1) It has an interface
2) It supports iTunes
3) It can mirror an iPhone/iPad to the TV.

It also has a few more supported apps than Chromecast right now but that'll change. I don't own an iPhone/iPad, and the Chromecast needs Vudu support.
Old 03-01-14, 03:00 PM

Apple TV + $25 iTunes Gift Card for $99 at the Apple Store (free shipping). Offer expires on March 5, 2014.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-appletv/appletv
Old 03-11-14, 11:40 AM

Apple TV 6.1 update makes it easier to hide unwanted channels

A new Apple TV software update was issued on Monday, giving users the ability to reduce the plethora of channels on the device's home screen if they so choose.

Users could previously hide channels from the Apple TV home screen through the device's Settings application. But Apple TV Version 6.1 now allows this to be accomplished in a simpler fashion, direct from the home screen.

After updating, users can hide icons by holding the select button, causing icons on the screen to jiggle. Once activated, users can press the play/pause button on their remote to bring up a menu that allows users to hide the icon.

After a channel has been hidden, users can reactivate it through the Settings application.

FULL ARTICLE - http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...anted-channels
Old 03-11-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you leave yours on, or sleep it a lot?
Old 03-11-14, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quack
Do you leave yours on, or sleep it a lot?
I just leave it alone. It goes to sleep on it's own. You can change the time in the settings. Mine is set for 5 hours.

Normally, I'd have it set for about 1 hour. But I've got the ATV screensaver connected to a photo album filled with 1000's of awesome pics. Sometimes I just like to let the slideshow play while I'm working around the house.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-11-14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been over a month but the 6.1 update on the ATV has removed the 5.1 sound on Netflix. So far nothing has been done to correct this and it's getting annoying since Apple is acting like nothing is wrong and nobody has brought it to their attention.
Old 04-22-14, 11:12 AM

Last night's update added the History Channel, Lifetime and A&E. Unfortunately, a lot of the episodes are locked for most users.

Apple adds A&E, History Channel, and Lifetime channels to Apple TV

Apple today has added three new channels to the Apple TV lineup: A&E, The History Channel, and Lifetime. Each channel does require a cable subscription to unlock full content, but it appears the most recent episodes of shows are available without unlocking the channels. At the time of launch, each channel only supports DirecTV, Verizon FiOS, and Cablevision Optimum, but the network says it will add support for more providers soon.

FULL ARTICLE - http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/21/apple-...s-to-apple-tv/
Old 04-22-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried authenticating the channels and it says I was successful, but it wasn't. Anyone else have success?
Old 04-24-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apple has the 6.1.1 update available that corrects the Netflix 5.1 issue. I get the DD 5.1 for Netflix again finally.
Old 05-21-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Apple has the 6.1.1 update available that corrects the Netflix 5.1 issue. I get the DD 5.1 for Netflix again finally.
A few days after indicating this, the DD 5.1 was removed again from the Netflix app. It's a freaking mess with the Netflix app removing all reference of DD 5.1 on the Apple TV. Fucking annoying!

Here's the 24 pages thread (so far) of the issues:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=0&tstart=30
Old 05-28-14, 05:11 PM

Netflix says fix for Dolby Digital 5.1 on its Apple TV channel coming soon

Following the release of Apple TV update version 6.1 alongside the release of iOS 7.1 in early March, we’ve received several reports of an issue with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound in the Apple TV’s Netflix app. Following the update, users with 5.1 systems are only able to get stereo output from Netflix on the Apple TV. There have been an increasing number of complaints online in several Apple support forums as recent as this morning, but up until now Netflix and Apple have been quiet on the issue.

We’ve reached out to Netflix several times since the release of the Apple TV update and this morning the company acknowledged it’s aware of the problem and working to roll out a fix: “We are aware of the issue and are working to deploy a fix.”

"We hope to have the fix out soon, but I can’t commit to a date. We have put a workaround in place that will playback titles in stereo instead of Dolby Digital 5.1."
It’s not providing any additional info or an ETA on when you can expect the fix, but at least you now have confirmation a fix is finally on the way three months after initial reports.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/27/netfli...le-tv-channel/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.