Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Kino Lorber Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-17-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

COMING IN MAY - ONLY ON BLU-RAY - SAM FIRSTENBERG'S REVENGE OF THE NINJA - STARRING SHO KOSUGI, KEITH VITALI, VIRGIL FRYE & ARTHUR ROBERTS
INCLUDES A BRAND NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY AND INTRO BY DIRECTOR SAM FIRSTENBERG

COMING IN MAY - ONLY ON BLU-RAY - MENAHEM GOLAN'S ENTER THE NINJA - STARRING FRANCO NERO, SUSAN GEORGE, SHO KOSUGI, CHRISTOPHER GEORGE & ALEX COURTNEY

COMING IN MAY - ON BLU-RAY & DVD - ALISTAIR MacLEAN'S RIVER OF DEATH - STARRING MICHAEL DUDIKOFF, ROBERT VAUGHN, DONALD PLEASENCE, HERBERT LOM & L.Q. JONES - DIRECTED BY STEVE CARVER
INCLUDES A BRAND NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY BY STAR Michael Dudikoff AND DIRECTOR STEVE CARVER

Coming May 26th

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

$17.99 each right now on Amazon

COMING IN JUNE - ONLY ON BLU-RAY - WILLIAM TANNEN'S HERO AND THE TERROR - STARRING CHUCK NORRIS, BRYNN THAYER, STEVE JAMES, JACK O'HALLORAN, RON O'NEAL & BILLY DRAGO.

COMING IN JUNE - ON BLU-RAY & DVD - STEVE CARVER'S AN EYE FOR AN EYE - STARRING CHUCK NORRIS, CHRISTOPHER LEE, RICHARD ROUNDTREE, MATT CLARK, MAKO, STUART PANKIN & PROFESSOR TORU TANAKA.

FEATURING A BRAND NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY BY DIRECTOR STEVE CARVER.
Not Cannon, but still a classic Norris 80's action movie.

Coming June 16th

Lots of really cool releases coming out. Kino Lorber is releasing a lot of good old Cannon releases.

Now I just need a newly remastered 16X9 version of Invasion USA and Platoon Leader.

Last edited by dex14; 03-29-22 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk God

re: The One and Only Kino Lorber Blu-ray Thread

I'll definitely pick up Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja and the Norris movies.

I barely recall watching River of Death on VHS back in the early 90's. I don't recall if it was a good or bad Cannon film.
Old 03-18-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

No Runaway Train, no sale.
Old 03-18-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

My only concern is paying the going rate for these (even the average going sale rate, which isn't particularly cheap), only to have them get re-packaged into budget-minded double-features, triple-features and four-packs down the road. Mind you, that would be better if the rights to these former MGM Home Video releases weren't arbitrarily scattered to Olive, Kino and Shout, but still each company (especially the first two) will have ample opportunity down the road to combine these into interesting "collections", much like MGM/Fox did with its various Chuck Norris Blu-ray combos (Total Attack Pack, 3 Chuck Norris Favorites, Missing In Action 1 and 2) and the Charles Bronson Triple Threat Collection (Death Wish 2-4), all of which routinely go on sale for less than the price of one Kino/Olive/Shout title. Being barebones (except trailers) probably accounts for that, I'm sure.

On a related note, I'm surprised one of these companies hasn't snapped up the rights to Mark Hartley's endlessly entertaining (and often downright hilarious) Cannon doc ELECTRIC BOOGALOO. It's an ideal companion piece to pretty much all of the film's in the OP's post, as they're all given face time in it. It's absolutely packed with great anecdotes that only make the films more endearing.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/107973282" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films - Official Trailer from Wild Fury In Production on Vimeo.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-18-15 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-18-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Hero and the Terror is one of Chuck's best (and most underrated) movies - I'll probably get that one when it dips under $10. Firewalker is just good, silly fun - although they forgot the other 't" on the end of Gossett.
Old 03-18-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
My only concern is paying the going rate for these (even the average going sale rate, which isn't particularly cheap), only to have them get re-packaged into budget-minded double-features, triple-features and four-packs down the road. Mind you, that would be better if the rights to these former MGM Home Video releases weren't arbitrarily scattered to Olive, Kino and Shout, but still each company (especially the first two) will have ample opportunity down the road to combine these into interesting "collections", much like MGM/Fox did with its various Chuck Norris Blu-ray combos (Total Attack Pack, 3 Chuck Norris Favorites, Missing In Action 1 and 2) and the Charles Bronson Triple Threat Collection (Death Wish 2-4), all of which routinely go on sale for less than the price of one Kino/Olive/Shout title. Being barebones (except trailers) probably accounts for that, I'm sure.
It's much tougher economically for a small distributor licensing content from a studio to package like-minded releases together on Blu-ray in cheaper form. It is rarely done except for a place like Mill Creek that has blanket licenses to an entire catalog. I don't think you have to worry about it happening in this case with these BDs.
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hero and the Terror is one of Chuck's best (and most underrated) movies - I'll probably get that one when it dips under $10. Firewalker is just good, silly fun - although they forgot the other 't" on the end of Gossett.
Agreed, I like them both. I will probably pick up several of these BDs if they hit my price point.
Old 03-18-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
No Runaway Train, no sale.
Get the Arrow release. Looks fabulous and they always include a booklet with a ton of info and extras.
Old 03-18-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's much tougher economically for a small distributor licensing content from a studio to package like-minded releases together on Blu-ray in cheaper form. It is rarely done except for a place like Mill Creek that has blanket licenses to an entire catalog. I don't think you have to worry about it happening in this case with these BDs.
I still think it's just a matter of time, but I guess we'll see. Even factoring in the long tail of Amazon and other online retailers maintaining availability longer than ever, sales inevitably decline, and reducing prices or combining discs into new sets simply gives new life to old stock and potentially puts it in more hands at lower price points. In the long term, for companies like Kino and Olive (as opposed to Twilight Time with their limited pressings and Shout with their more elaborate supplements), that'll probably trump any economic hardships they may have faced in the early running.

In fact, Kino has already had one "set" on the market for a while now:
http://www.kinolorber.com/video.php?product_id=2569

I realize that's just a bunch of individual releases bundled together "as is", but it suggests to me that Kino, at least, is not above finding creative ways of combining existing product to potentially boost sales or save buyers a few bucks, and with so many great Cannon pictures coming in the months ahead, I have few doubts that we'll see something similar to this down the road. Obviously, my personal preference would be a "Michael Dudikoff Action Pack" or a "Killer Ninja Triple Feature" or what have you, with the existing discs in a single case with some fun new sleeve art, although obviously I wouldn't expect the kinds of bargain bin pricing we see when the big studios (or the mass-marketer type companies like Mill Creek) bundle old catalog titles together.

Regardless this is all a LONG way off, but I'm fairly confident it'll happen, and I know the temptation to double dip will personally be hard to resist. In the meantime, I just finished revisiting THE GREAT RAIN ROBBERY, JUGGERNAUT, AVALANCHE, METEOR, and AVENGING FORCE (with commentary!) thanks to Kino's lovely new Blu editions which, like so many others they've released so far, I leapt at when the price dropped a measly two bucks! And I've got about nine more in the stacks here. Trust me, as much as I suspect combo packs will appear some day, I can't close my wallet long enough to wait for them!

Last edited by Brian T; 03-18-15 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

On a related note, I'm surprised one of these companies hasn't snapped up the rights to Mark Hartley's endlessly entertaining (and often downright hilarious) Cannon doc ELECTRIC BOOGALOO. It's an ideal companion piece to pretty much all of the film's in the OP's post, as they're all given face time in it. It's absolutely packed with great anecdotes that only make the films more endearing.
Loved that documentary! I know Magnolia released Not Quite Hollywood and Dark Sky Films released Machete Maidens.

I got lucky recently and picked up the German BDs of Enter The Ninja & Revenge of the Ninja off of Ebay for around $25.XX (shipped). I do like all of this Cannon Films love coming from Kino Lorber, Olive Films and Shout/Scream Factory though.

Hopefully someone releases Invasion U.S.A.!
Old 03-19-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Wish they'd do a 3D Blu-Ray of Treasure of the Four Crowns- I still have the original glasses from that which advertise Lou Ferrigno's Hercules on the inside (which wasn't in 3D.)

Looking forward to the Breakin' double feature; almost forgot about Rappin'- remember hearing a review of that on the radio when it came out where they were trying to be ironically clever and made the whole review rhyme, ending with "But Rappin' was crap, would I lie to you?"
Old 03-19-15, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I will probably get that Breakin' double despite the movies being not that great. I really want Beat Street.
Old 04-05-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VHAG06A/...=I9YELPAM4WEX0

Hero and the Terror

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VHAGG0U/...I3FDF81S4F6TII

An Eye for an Eye

Both are coming out June 16th and can now be pre-ordered. They are $17.99 each
Old 04-05-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Another new Cannon Film announced from Kino Lorber. No date yet, just said coming soon. Lots of classic actors on this one.
Old 04-05-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I will probably get that Breakin' double despite the movies being not that great. I really want Beat Street.
I want Beat Street, too.
Old 04-05-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Spoiler:

Another new Cannon Film announced from Kino Lorber. No date yet, just said coming soon. Lots of classic actors on this one.

Old 04-05-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drafthouse Films is releasing it later this year.
Old 07-26-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Coming Soon! On Blu-ray and DVD!

DELTA FORCE 2 (1990) Starring Chuck Norris, Billy Drago, John P. Ryan, Richard Jaeckel and Mark Margolis - Directed by Aaron Norris.

Just announced this past week on Kino Lorber's Facebook page.

Someone asked about Missing in Action III and someone from Kino said that another company has the rights. My guess it's Olive films.

By the way, did anyone pick up Hero and the Terror and An Eye for an Eye yet?
Old 08-06-15, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Picked up An Eye for an Eye and Hero and the Terror during this Amazon Kino Lorber sale.

Started watching Hero and the Terror last night. I haven't seen it since the early MGM DVD and honestly it looks quite good for a movie that's almost 30 years old. Hard to believe that Norris was in his late 40's in it and now he's 75 years old.

No extras though. Just trailers.

Looking forward to seeing An Eye for an Eye next. I don't think I've seen that one since the old Embassy VHS.
Old 08-14-15, 06:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i like the consistent labeling on the spine with these Kino Lorber titles...

Old 09-17-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Artwork for Delta Force 2

Was released today (12/8/15)

Last edited by DJariya; 12-08-15 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Coming from Kino Lorber on February 16, 2016

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tCGwD3Egrmk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saw this years ago on VHS via CBS/FOX Home Video. Glad it's coming out.

Also coming in February

Spellbinder is coming January 5th. Not a great movie, but it features a really hot young Kelly Preston.

Saw it on MGM HD recently and it was decent.

Last edited by dex14; 03-29-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will definitely pick up Sucka.

Last edited by dex14; 03-29-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Just announced:

Cop starring James Woods

Spoiler:

Coming March 1st

Special Features:
• Audio Commentary by Director James B. Harris
• Trailer Gallery

Also coming:

No date announced yet.
Old 12-14-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Yes! That leaves Murphys Law as the last Cannon Bronson movie to be released on Blu
Old 12-14-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yes! That leaves Murphys Law as the last Cannon Bronson movie to be released on Blu
Makes no sense however that 10 to Midnight got released via Twilight Time at a much more expensive price point over all these other titles. I wonder why Kino or Olive didn't get/passed on the rights to it.

There's really no rhyme or reason how some of these Bronson and Norris movies are being released on BD. Some on FOX, some on Kino/Olive and now Norris has a few coming from Shout.

I'd like to get Murphy's Law too. Very trashy 80's cop thriller.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.