Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Baywatch (2017, D: Gordon) S: The Rock, Efron, Daddario

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-05-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By Colin Mahan
April 4, 2006 at 03:42:00 PM

Multitalented triller takes on toughest Tinseltown task: acting like Pam Anderson.

Simpson is ready for the beach. British newspaper The Sun reports that Jessica Simpson has signed on to star in the Baywatch feature film. Simpson will play Casey "C.J." Parker, the voluptuous lifeguard played by Pamela Anderson in the series.

Newlyweds star Simpson made a splash last summer when she donned Catherine Bach's cut-offs for the Dukes of Hazzard movie. Currently, she is filming Employee of the Month with frat-boy comedian Dane Cook. Now, the platinum-tressed chanteuse moves up several rungs on the TV-to-film hottie ladder.

Producers told The Sun, "Jessica has all the assets to make Pam's part her own."

Baywatch told the story of the brave and noble lifeguards of Venice Beach, California. When they weren't saving people from drowning, they themselves were trying not to drown in oceans of personal dilemmas.

While never a critical darling, Baywatch ran in syndication for 12 seasons and launched the successful spin-off Baywatch Nights. The show was also a huge hit overseas, and let star David Hasselhoff enjoy a smash-hit singing career that peaked with the number one hit on German charts "Looking For Freedom," which he sang atop the Berlin Wall during reunification.

According to the reports, Hasselhoff hasn't signed up for the movie yet but producers are hoping he will. The actor, who is enduring a messy divorce battle with his wife Pamela, may be sending a subtle "I do" message to the filmmakers--he showed up at the beach this week wearing red swim trunks similar to those worn on Baywatch.
Old 04-05-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They coulda gotten Kelly Pickler a lot cheaper in a couple weeks.
Old 04-05-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"What's a thongy?"
Old 04-05-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i cant wait.......
Old 04-05-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now I know I dont want to see it. This will be for the 18 and under crowd. You can bet it will be PG to get the big opening weekend grosses.
Old 04-05-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why in the hell couldnt they just get Pam Anderson to play this part again??
Old 04-05-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Is this another one of those online April Fool's jokes getting posted several days late?

Why must she play CJ? Why not just have the movie be a pick-up where the show left off, that would make more sense. It hasn't been off the air long enough to justify a big-screen movie. And you're right, this will be a PG/PG-13 movie with a soundtrack packed with a bunch of "hot" pop/alternative bands and topped off with a Simpson song or two.
Old 04-05-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(crosses fingers for a rated X version)
Old 04-05-06, 01:29 PM

Pamela could easily still play the part.
Old 04-05-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Hasselhoff, no sale.

I'd rather have seen Pam Anderson than Simpson.
Old 04-05-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bring in Pam (and the Hoff)!

Old 04-05-06, 02:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's even the point of this remake? At least with Dukes of Hazzard, Charlie's Angels, and Starsky & Hutch there was a retro factor. Baywatch has only been off the air for 5 years. If they were going the "movie continuation of the show" direction like Star Trek or Serenity, that would be one thing.

I'm guessing they're going with the tongue-in-cheek pseudo-parody angle like Angels and Starsky did but isn't the show (especially in later seasons) pretty much a self-parody in first place? I'm all for t&a but if I'm paying movie prices to see t&a I'm gonna want more than red swimsuits (or rather, less than red swimsuits ).
Old 04-05-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts
I agree, why remake something that isn't that old to begin with? At what point do they take it too far? What, we skipped all the 80's sitcoms/shows and went straight to the 90's? Where's my Family Ties remake movie?
Old 04-05-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
If you can't get Pam, go with Jessica.

I'm okay with this news - and wasn't the actual SHOW a basically PG-type show with pop music? How is this any different?
Old 04-06-06, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Now I know I dont want to see it. This will be for the 18 and under crowd. You can bet it will be PG to get the big opening weekend grosses.
Well, I agree with your assessment that the producers are going for a certain demographic, but do you really think there are enough people with IQs below 18 to see this movie?
Old 04-06-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i thought hasslehoff was the creator and owner of the rights on Baywatch...

when was the TV movie made?
Old 04-06-06, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahhhhhhh, Jessica Simpson will be the queen of the TV series movie, the Heather Locklear of the Big Screen.
Old 04-06-06, 05:48 PM

Hollywood is officially, undeniably out of ideas.
Old 04-07-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How long till we get Silk Stalkings the movie?
Old 04-07-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

or how about a Blues Brothers 3000...
Old 10-02-14, 05:54 PM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts
Re: Baywatch: The Movie

Paramount is moving forward with its big-screen adaptation of Baywatch and has loosely attached Dwayne Johnson for beach patrol duties. The studio also has hired Justin Malen to rewrite and has attached the hot comedy writing team of Sean Anders and John Morris (We're the Millers) to direct.

Montecito Pictures is producing along with Beau Flynn. Tripp Vinson is executive producing. Hiram Garcia, who is Johnson's producing partner, will serve in some producing capacity.

Johnson has long been rumored to head up a Baywatch movie, and the oft-shirtless star would seem a perfect fit for the action film that takes place along the perilous shores of Santa Monica. In fact, the Fast & Furious star is no stranger to showing off his abs as he did in the titular role in Hercules, which opened in July.

Paramount has been trying to mount a Baywatch movie for years and has begun to ramp up its efforts. A number of previous writers have taken a crack at the script including Jeremy Garelick and Peter Tolan. At one point the action was set to revolve around a series of shark attacks that led the Baywatch team to investigate a drug-smuggling operation. It is unclear what Malen's take will be for the latest version.

Malen has become an in-demand writer after his 2011 Blacklist script Bastards became a hot comedy property. Montecito will produce that film, and Alcon will finance. Malen also wrote the sequel to Bad Teacher for Sony, with Cameron Diaz attached to star.

Johnson, who recently shot the action film San Andreas for producer Flynn as well as Fast & Furious 7, is repped by WME and attorneys Bianca Levin and Harold Brown.

Malen is handled by Verve and DMG Entertainment.

Anders and Morris, whose writing credits include Horrible Bosses 2, are represented by Mosaic and attorney Todd Rubenstein.

Paramount declined comment.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...source=twitter
Old 10-02-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

So this'll be a comedy like 21 Jump Street, right?
Old 10-02-14, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Baywatch -- S: Dwayne Johnson - D: Anders/Morris

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...h-movie-707530

Paramount is moving forward with its big-screen adaptation of Baywatch and has loosely attached Dwayne Johnson for beach patrol duties. The studio also has hired Justin Malen to rewrite and has attached the hot comedy writing team of Sean Anders and John Morris (We're the Millers) to direct.

Montecito Pictures is producing along with Beau Flynn. Tripp Vinson is executive producing. Hiram Garcia, who is Johnson's producing partner, will serve in some producing capacity.

Johnson has long been rumored to head up a Baywatch movie, and the oft-shirtless star would seem a perfect fit for the action film that takes place along the perilous shores of Santa Monica. In fact, the Fast & Furious star is no stranger to showing off his abs as he did in the titular role in Hercules, which opened in July.

Paramount has been trying to mount a Baywatch movie for years and has begun to ramp up its efforts. A number of previous writers have taken a crack at the script including Jeremy Garelick and Peter Tolan. At one point the action was set to revolve around a series of shark attacks that led the Baywatch team to investigate a drug-smuggling operation. It is unclear what Malen's take will be for the latest version.

Malen has become an in-demand writer after his 2011 Blacklist script Bastards became a hot comedy property. Montecito will produce that film, and Alcon will finance. Malen also wrote the sequel to Bad Teacher for Sony, with Cameron Diaz attached to star.

Read more Why Theater Owners Aren't Happy About Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' Film Initiative

Johnson, who recently shot the action film San Andreas for producer Flynn as well as Fast & Furious 7, is repped by WME, manager Dany Garcia of The Garcia Companies and attorneys Bianca Levin and Harold Brown.

Malen is handled by Verve and DMG Entertainment.

Anders and Morris, whose writing credits include Horrible Bosses 2, are represented by Mosaic and attorney Todd Rubenstein.

Paramount declined comment.
Old 10-02-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Baywatch -- S: Dwayne Johnson - D: Anders/Morris

Already a thread exists: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...tch-movie.html
Old 10-02-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

That Tetris movie doesn't sound so stupid anymore.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.