Paramount+ with Showtime - ViacomCBS streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 10-16-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

http://deadline.com/2014/10/cbs-laun...ervice-852895/

I'm not sure who would pay $5.99 for this service.
Old 10-16-14, 10:59 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: CBS Launches $5.99 A Month Subscription Streaming Service

I might be interested if it was commercial-free. But it sounds like there will be commercials.
Old 10-16-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Only ad free for classic shows.
Old 10-16-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

It looks like you also need to be in one of 14 markets to even take advantage of the service (initially, anyway). From the article...

It’s not clear how the initiative will affect CBS’ independent affiliates. The company says CBS All Access was “built in close collaboration” with the network-owned stations in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, Miami, Denver, Sacramento, Pittsburgh and Baltimore. This morning’s release says that additional stations will be added. Syncbak, in which CBS has a minority investment, will handle delivery and geo-targeting of the live feeds to ensure that they only go to in-market subscribers.
Also from the article...

Here you go, cord-cutters — and take that, Hulu
$5.99/month for CBS shows vs. $7.99/month for how many other networks' shows? CBS sure showed them!
Old 10-16-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

They must be out of their minds if they think anyone is going to pay $6/month for a bunch of non-skippable commercials. I learned from Hulu Plus that's it's just not worth it.
Old 10-16-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

It sounds like they are also keeping up full seasons as opposed to the last few episodes that CBS.com normally does.

BTW, for those who have never streamed material from CBS.com, the commercial times are much longer. If I've not mistaken, it's anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes per break. It's really annoying.
Old 10-16-14, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by printerati
It looks like you also need to be in one of 14 markets to even take advantage of the service (initially, anyway). From the article...
I think that's only for the live feed. Everyone else should still be able to access the on demand content.

And I read in another article that the live feed won't include the NFL games. I don't know about other sports.
Old 10-16-14, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

I don't really care about this for CBS, but I hope this is a trend (like HBO is doing) that is starting. The key will be the cost.
Old 10-16-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Cow
I don't really care about this for CBS, but I hope this is a trend (like HBO is doing) that is starting. The key will be the cost.
Yeah, but another question is, how many separate streaming services are people willing to pay for to get the specific content they want?

If every freaking major network, basic or premium channel starts their own service, the costs are going to add up for households. Would someone be willing to shell out $10-15 per month each for separate AMC, TNT, FX, or Showtime services? Then there is the question of whether it will be live streaming or on demand. And will the on demand content have commercials like Hulu and now CBS?
Old 10-16-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It depends. CBS has been old school for some time now and refused to embrace a lot of streaming features. Hulu has ads because it's literally supposed to be IPTV / a replacement On Demand.

So that explains their love of commercials.

No, I don't think anyone would be willing to shell out $10 - $15 per month for specific channels, yes I think this is going to fail for CBS. HBO gets a pass since it's already $15/month and has no commercials.
Old 10-16-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I MIGHT pay $5 a month per network if they were commercial-free (or at least just put up banner ads on menu screens and things like that, outside of the actual shows.) If I were happy with the way they presented their shows on the air, I'd just watch them that way.

I'd pay more than $5 for the broadcast networks if you could get a close to complete archive of older stuff, including complete newscasts, variety shows, and rare or forgotten stuff from the pre-VCR era, delivered at the proper frame rate (30 fps for videotaped material). Basically like getting access to their entire tape vault.
Old 10-16-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2
It depends. CBS has been old school for some time now and refused to embrace a lot of streaming features. Hulu has ads because it's literally supposed to be IPTV / a replacement On Demand.

So that explains their love of commercials.

No, I don't think anyone would be willing to shell out $10 - $15 per month for specific channels, yes I think this is going to fail for CBS. HBO gets a pass since it's already $15/month and has no commercials.
Hulu according to their website, says they have to put the commercial breaks in order to keep the monthly cost down and affordable. I know most streamers hate them.
Old 10-16-14, 04:10 PM

Hulu according to their website, says they have to put the commercial breaks in order to keep the monthly cost down and affordable.
Which makes me wonder exactly how much they WOULD have to charge for a commercial-free version (when I cancelled my free trials in the past, they asked for reasons for cancelling and always had "I would pay more for a commercial-free service" as an option which I always marked), or how much more they would have to charge for advertising if they just let everyone access Hulu Plus with no subscription fee. I know Hulu's material is more current than Netflix's, but if Netflix can have the amount of content they do with no commercials at their current price (which even as a Cheap Bastard, I've always thought was underpriced), why can't Hulu?
Old 10-17-14, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Does the new CBS streaming service play non-stop or does it stop after every episode?
Old 10-17-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Which makes me wonder exactly how much they WOULD have to charge for a commercial-free version (when I cancelled my free trials in the past, they asked for reasons for cancelling and always had "I would pay more for a commercial-free service" as an option which I always marked), or how much more they would have to charge for advertising if they just let everyone access Hulu Plus with no subscription fee. I know Hulu's material is more current than Netflix's, but if Netflix can have the amount of content they do with no commercials at their current price (which even as a Cheap Bastard, I've always thought was underpriced), why can't Hulu?
Next day is just really expensive. You have to figure, Netflix paid $2m per episode for The Blacklist, and that's for the equivalent of syndication rights between 6 months and 1 year after the episode has aired. You can imagine how much it'd cost to have it as it airs. I do agree that Netflix is underpriced. I like to imagine what they could pull off if it were $9.99 a month. That's an extra $1.2b a year.

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Does the new CBS streaming service play non-stop or does it stop after every episode?
I would hope they would do it like Hulu and Netflix where it's your choice.
Old 10-17-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I think that's only for the live feed. Everyone else should still be able to access the on demand content.
You are correct. I misread it.

No Roku, Chromecast, etc. support yet, either.
Old 10-17-14, 12:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm new to this Roku game...but I can call up the FOX app and watch stuff for free. I'm already paying for cable, why would I pay for this?

I understand for charging for people who have 'cut the cord' but a portion of my cable bill is already going to CBS...all I want to do is see whole episode of The Good Wife when they cut if off for Football*

*there should be no scripted shows on Sunday night...they should turn it into a sports night or something.
Old 10-17-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because CBS doesn't believe in the internets.
Old 10-26-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

http://deadline.com/2014/10/cbs-laun...ervice-852895/

I'm not sure who would pay $5.99 for this service.
i would pay as much as 6.03 for the ability to watch gilligans island. for me it is a no brainer and steal. i am signing up before they regain their sanity and realize they are giving away the store.
Old 10-26-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When will it become a Roku Channel?
Old 11-28-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through 12/1, they are offering 1-month FREE.

http://www.cbs.com/all-access/?ftag=AAM6d13ff2
Old 11-29-14, 01:34 AM

I'll wait to try it when they have it on the Roku. No sense in paying anything to watch it on my computer- but if they can deliver the entire run of Sonny & Cher, at the proper frame rate and with the commercials from the original broadcasts, I'll be a lifetime subscriber
Old 11-30-14, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally decided too get it.

Watched Hawaii Five-O (original) s12 ep 1 along with Perry Mason s1 ep 1.

Picture quality wasn't the greatest. Picture was jittery.

It should improve over time especially when it becomes a Roku Channel.

Don't know if there is enough programming to hold my interest.
Old 06-08-15, 07:52 AM

Has anyone signed-up for CBS All Access? I'm thinking about trying it out to catch up on the last season of Elementary.

How is the video/audio quality on current shows? Is it HD? Stereo or 5.1?

Are there a lot of commercials?
Old 06-08-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It takes about an hour to watch 45 minute shows that have commericals. Basically the same commercial over and over again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.