Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MADONNA: Rebel Heart -3/10/15

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-24-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

14 More Madonna Songs Leak From 'Rebel Heart,' Including Pharrell Collabo

It's not shaping up to be a very merry Christmas for Madonna. Fourteen more tracks from Madge's upcoming album Rebel Heart have leaked online, including a track with Hard Candy collaborator Pharrell allegedly called "Back That Up (Do It)."

This second massive security breach follows last week's shocking leak of new Madonna songs, which found the Queen of Pop flipping out on Instagram, calling the leaks "artistic rape" and a "form of terrorism."

She soon deleted that hyperbolic Instagram post, and not long after spoke to Billboard about her take on the leaks and how the Internet is changing the music release model.

"This is the age that we're living in," Madonna told Billboard. "It's crazy. I mean, look at what's going on with Sony Pictures. It's just the age that we're living in. It's crazy times. The Internet is as constructive and helpful in bringing to people together as it is in doing dangerous things and hurting people. It's a double-edged sword."

After the initial round of Rebel Heart leaks, Madonna officially released six songs from the album, including the Nicki Minaj collaboration "Bitch I'm Madonna."

As for the new bunch of songs, Madonna is either ignoring the new leaks or commenting on them obliquely. In an Instagram post from Dec. 23 (the day the new demos started making the rounds online), she wrote, "Real Rebels think for themselves! Real Rebels respect ART!" In an Instagram post pertaining to the first round of leaks, Madonna asked fans not to listen to the unfinished versions of her new songs, so we can presume she's hoping fans similarly shrug off these latest leaks.

"It's thrown us all into overdrive," Madonna told Billboard. "We're having to think outside the box. Think on our feet. I didn't plan to put my record out this way."

According to Idolator, these are the names of the new leaked tracks:

Iconic
Veni Vidi Vici
Beautiful Scars
Freedom
God Is Love
Hold Tight
Best Night
Inside Out
Tragic Girl
Nothing Lasts Forever
Back That Up (Do It) ft. Pharrell
Holy Water
Graffiti Heart
Body Shop

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...leaks-pharrell

last weeks article:
The queen of pop strikes back at demo leaks, announces "Rebel Heart."

One Madonna surprise follows another, as the Queen of Pop has dropped her forthcoming album, Rebel Heart -- with six new songs immediately available for purchase -- onto iTunes for pre-order well ahead of schedule.

The arrival of the pre-order and its songs on Dec. 19 follows a flood of leaks earlier in the week, where over 10 demo tracks from the album's sessions found their way to the Internet.

"I was hoping to release my new single 'Living For Love' on Valentine's Day with the rest of the album coming in the Spring," Madonna said in a statement. "I would prefer my fans to hear completed versions of some of the songs instead of the incomplete tracks that are circulating. Please consider these six songs as an early Christmas gift."

Among the six new tracks are "Bitch I'm Madonna" (featuring Nicki Minaj), the reggae-ish "Unapologetic Bitch" and "Illuminati." Producers on the set include Diplo, Kanye West and Billboard. The diva has been working on the album for most of 2014, collaborating with an array of songwriters and producers.

Rebel Heart is scheduled for release on March 10 through Interscope Records, and is Madonna's 13th studio album. It follows 2012's MDNA, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...from-new-album

Last edited by gerrythedon; 12-24-14 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: MADONNA: Rebel Heart -3/10/15

Old 12-29-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm sorry, but at 55+ it's really time for Madonna to either start doing more age-appropriate music or retire. She's done good low-key pop, ballads and AC in the past, why not do that now? A granny releasing club tunes with "bitch" in the titles is embarrassing, IMO.
Old 12-29-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I'm sorry, but at 55+ it's really time for Madonna to either start doing more age-appropriate music or retire. She's done good low-key pop, ballads and AC in the past, why not do that now? A granny releasing club tunes with "bitch" in the titles is embarrassing, IMO.
Couldn't agree more. It's beyond sad how she continues to try and stay plugged in with young audiences. Going out in public with those gold teeth a year or so ago? Posing topless a few weeks ago? Not that that would appeal to anyone under 50. It's just all so desperate. Clearly trying to get attention to get her name in the news (again). But at the end of the day, the music should stand on it's own. And it's not. She's trying too hard to remain "current". It's time to let it go and just do a proper pop album.
Old 12-30-14, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I just got through listening to "Unapologetic Bitch" and "Bitch I'm Madonna." The beats are some generic club sounds. She's trying way too hard to fit in with young crowd.

"Ghosttown" is cool though. "Living For Love" is only okay.

That's kind of a letdown that she feels like she needs to go topless in order to draw attention to her new album, especially at her age.
Old 12-31-14, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish someone had gotten her that message at least a decade ago. She fell in love with this dance/electronic stuff in a big way or, more likely, she felt it would always sell.

I miss the ballads and fun stuff like "Cherish" but looks like she's not even interested in that kind of music anymore.
Old 12-31-14, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

She was good up until about 1993. JMO
Old 12-31-14, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
She was good up until about 1993. JMO
Like a Prayer was her last good album IMO. Erotica was a mess, and all the songs from Bedtime Stories sounded alike. I really only liked "Don't Tell Me" from her songs released after Like a Prayer.

Last edited by hbilly; 01-01-15 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-31-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

I like some of her more recent stuff (Confessions was a great album/tour) but she needs to dial it back a bit...
Old 01-01-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I wish someone had gotten her that message at least a decade ago. She fell in love with this dance/electronic stuff in a big way or, more likely, she felt it would always sell.

I miss the ballads and fun stuff like "Cherish" but looks like she's not even interested in that kind of music anymore.
It's because 95% of her audience these days is gay men, and gay men are into dance music (along with flamboyant stage shows).
Old 01-01-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The targeting of the gay club audience started with Erotica, which is when her music started going downhill.

Ray of Light is the only album since that Erotica has more than a couple good songs on it. Basically, she became a club mix singles artist.
Old 01-01-15, 03:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
It's because 95% of her audience these days is gay men, and gay men are into dance music (along with flamboyant stage shows).
Old 01-01-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Confessions on a Dance Floor was one of my favorite albums from the 2000s, but I couldn't agree with you more. I sampled some of the available songs on iTunes and I couldn't believe what garbage she's spewing out at her age.

I'd be fine with her doing exactly what you said, not sure what she's trying to do at this stage in her life. She's not going to reinvent the wheel.
Old 01-04-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not someone who has paid a lot of attention to her career or bought any of her albums, but I really enjoy Confessions of a Dance Floor and the DVD from that concert tour. I have checked out some of her subsequently material and did not care for it.
Old 01-05-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I couldn't get into the songs. It reminded me of the same garbage that Kanye West recently put out that everyone no longer listens or cares about.
Old 01-05-15, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'm excited for new music from Madonna - MDNA was average at best. Once the Pre-Order for Rebel Heart went up on iTunes I listened to the song previews and it does sound very promising! As a fan, I don't want to listen to all of the song leaks, demos, etc. because I want to hear the finished versions of each song, and I don't want these demos or leaks to take away from that hype - we've waited almost three years, what's another couple of weeks?
Old 01-06-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went ahead and downloaded the leaks and got through them today. I actually like a couple songs, which lately is on par for her recent albums. Both Addicted and Rebel Love are quite good. But some of the others, ugh. Really, really bad just like some of the other recent albums. Confirmed for me that she really is just a singles artist these days.
Old 03-02-15, 04:59 PM

Rebel Heart North American Tour Dates:
August 29 - Miami, FL @ American Airlines Arena
September 2 - Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
September 5 - San Juan, PR @ Coliseo de Puerto Rico
September 9 - Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
September 12 - Washington, DC @ Verizon Center
September 16 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
September 19 - Brooklyn, NY @ Barclays Center
September 24 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center
September 26 - Boston, MA @ TD Garden
September 28 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
October 1 - Detroit, MI @ Joe Louis Arena
October 3 - Atlantic City, NJ @ Boardwalk Hall
October 5 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
October 8 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
October 11 - Edmonton, AB @ Rexall Place
October 14 - Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena
October 17 - Portland, OR @ MODA Center
October 19 - San Jose, CA @ SAP Center at San Jose
October 22 - Glendale, AZ @ Gila River Arena
October 24 - Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena
October 27 - Los Angeles, CA @ Forum
Old 03-09-15, 10:44 AM

The Washington Post's harsh review of the new album

By Chris Richards

A new Madonna album, a fresh reminder that we’re all going to die.

That probably isn’t the take-away the pop matriarch was aiming for with her 13th — and 13th-best — studio album, “Rebel Heart.” But as time continues to march us all toward our respective expiration dates, we’ll continue to crave art that distracts us from our terminal destiny by making us feel young. And while the line between the bliss of escapism and the unseemliness of denial can be a blurry one, which side this album falls on is not.

And it hurts! Back in 1989, this conquering pop queen was rallying for confidence, freedom and excellence with such ease: “Don’t go for second best, baby!” Now, her music sounds so tentative, so trapped, so shabby.

Ageism is a cruel and formidable force in popland, but Madonna’s desire to live forever young isn’t exactly the problem, here. It’s the fact that she takes pains to sound so juvenile. The lyrics on “Rebel Heart” feel almost violently resistant to wisdom, as if espousing even the sl

So instead, we get the lumpy neo-reggae of “Unapologetic B----,” in which she sasses a boy-toy: “See you trying to call me, but I blocked you on my phone.” Over the bratty dubstep of “B----, I’m Madonna,” she brags of partying so hard that “the neighbor’s p----- and says he’s gonna call the five-o.” And on “Devil Pray” — a song that doesn’t have the word “b----” in the title — she rattles off a menu of intoxicants: “We can do drugs, and we can smoke weed, and we can drink whiskey / Yeah, we can get high, and we can get stoned / And we can sniff glue, and we can do E, and we can drop acid. . . .”

Which one will best help us forget that this is happening?

As she did on her last album, 2012’s almost-as-bad “MDNA,” Madonna has called on a hodgepodge of hitmakers to help produce these tunes. And this time the list includes Diplo, Avicii, Kanye West and Ariel *Rechtshaid, all names skimmed off the top of today’s pop marquee. Accordingly, “Rebel Heart” sounds dispassionate and incurious about the world it’s trying so hard to participate in.ightest air of sophistication might remind the planet that Madonna is now 56 years old.

But when things go especially awry, they do so in perversely interesting ways. Like when boxing legend Mike Tyson shows up to play the hype-man on “Iconic.” Or when rap great Nas materializes for “Veni, Vidi, Vici,” a duet in which Madonna raps the autobiographical highlights from her Wikipedia page. For an album so lacking in personality, these quirks go a long way.

Overall, the spackle holding “Rebel Heart” together is the fact that Madonna is still intent on making dance music — perhaps for a dance floor that now exists only in her imagination.

Or maybe it’s stadium filler. When she hits the road later this year, we’ll be reminded that Madonna has only two living peers: Bruce Springsteen and Prince. The trio rose to ubiquity in the ’80s, exploiting the black magic of MTV to cement the enduring ideal of pop-star-as-character.

Today, all three of those characters enjoy very different relationships with their flocks. Prince delights in defying expectations, while Springsteen fulfills them with plenty of gusto and little imagination. As for Madonna, it’s trickier.

From the launch of her career through her last great album, 2005’s excellent “Confessions on a Dance Floor,” Madonna has been throwing her parties in spaces her fans might not otherwise visit. And maybe that’s what’s happening on “Rebel Heart”: Instead of actually forging a meaningful dialogue with contemporary pop music, she’s simply trying to make her longtime followers feel as if they’re connecting with 2015 kiddo-culture.

But that’s a charitable hypothesis, and for those of us who don’t need Madonna to hold our hand on a tour through today’s teeming pop scene, “Rebel Heart” will sound like a string of poor decisions made by an icon with evaporating confidence and deteriorating taste.

Even second-best has never felt this far away.
Old 03-11-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/195417486&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&vi sual=true"></iframe>
Old 03-12-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How is the actual album compared to the leaks? I got the leaks, and was not impressed. Looks like most of the songs are the same, but are the final versions different?
Old 03-13-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
The Washington Post's harsh review of the new album

By Chris Richards

A new Madonna album, a fresh reminder that we’re all going to die.
Ouch.

Hard to believe how much I abused myself over Madonna as a teenager in the 80s and now she's an old lady.
Old 03-13-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That Soundcloud link above is broken should point to the Madonna Interview on Howard Stern...Which is really good.

https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/madonna
Old 03-14-15, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-19-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Why did I waste my money on MDNA!

There was only 1 good song in that album and so far not impressed with her latest.

Hard Candy might have been her last good album.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VyOk3w7ssF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7U3GR3W6wls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.