Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bob Dylan's Complete Basement Tapes finally get official release

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-26-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Well, I'm excited about this one - the complete 6-disc set sounds expensive now but will probably be discounted. I've owned boots of this material but am glad to see it finally get an official release.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...apes-complete/

This November Sony/Legacy will issue volume 11 of Bob Dylan‘s enduring Bootleg Series, which in its deluxe box form is a 138 track ‘complete’ chronicle of the legendary Bob Dylan and The Band’s Basement Tapes recordings.

The music was recorded in 1967 as Dylan recovered from his motorcycle accident with Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel, Garth Hudson and, later, Levon Helm, in the basement of a small house, dubbed “Big Pink” by the group, in West Saugerties, New York. An official release was eventually issued in 1975 but although the musicians recorded over 100 songs, this featured only 16 tracks along with eight tracks from The Band without Dylan.

The Basement Tapes Complete is compiled from the original tapes (many found only recently, apparently) and features “every salvageable recording” from said tapes. Also, the performances are presented as close as possible to the way they were originally recorded in ’67 which presumably means they will lack the 1975 overdubs.

The deluxe edition is a six-CD set with the tracks running in mostly chronological order. This comes with a 120-page book with contains rare and unseen photos and memorabilia along with extensive liner notes.

As well as the 138-track Basement Tapes Complete deluxe edition, a cut down 38-track highlights set – The Basement Tapes Raw – will be issued on two-CD and three-LP vinyl.

All formats are released on 3 November 2014
Old 08-26-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: Bob Dylan's Complete Basement Tapes finally get official release

I am absolutely shocked this is coming out so soon. That's incredible news and possibly the most important bootleg set of all time.
Old 08-26-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have pretty much every Dylan release on CD and am still disappointed I wasn't able to add the deluxe versions of Volume 8 and Volume 10 to my collection. But really I just couldn't justify the cost of the sets. For Volume 8 there was just one extra CD with 12 tracks, but the cost was $130; and for Volume 10 it only had a live concert recording and a remastered version of Self Portrait, but again for over $100. So while the completist in me wanted to make the purchases, the rational part of me just couldn't justify it.

This release though? Completely different. This makes the $130 for Volume 8 even more insulting when you consider you're getting six CDs for essentially the same price and this is arguably a more important release content wise than the extra CDs on Volume 8 and Volume 10.

I've already gone ahead and pre-ordered from Amazon as I'm sure the price will drop.
Old 08-26-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I preordered too. Fuck it. I'm trying not to think about the price. Big Dylan fan.

I'm also still pissed about the Tell Tale Signs deluxe edition.
Old 08-26-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
I preordered too. Fuck it. I'm trying not to think about the price. Big Dylan fan.

I'm also still pissed about the Tell Tale Signs deluxe edition.
Seriously, it was such a colossal "Fuck You" to the fans to charge that much. The Self Portrait Bootleg Series was a little better, but the content was still lacking when you consider it was just a live recording and a remastered album.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't some super deluxe version for $300 based on the past releases though, lol
Old 08-26-14, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Can't wait for this. I am also glad they are sequencing the tracks in known order of recording except the really rough sounding songs being relegated to the last disc. Everything is there and it will still be a great listening experience.
Old 08-26-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kstublen
Seriously, it was such a colossal "Fuck You" to the fans to charge that much. The Self Portrait Bootleg Series was a little better, but the content was still lacking when you consider it was just a live recording and a remastered album.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't some super deluxe version for $300 based on the past releases though, lol
Well, in all seriousness, I'm good with $100.00 and hope we get close. At six discs, this is a better deal than ASP.
Old 08-26-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait, you might be talking TTS. If so, you're completely correct. That was fucked up. That's such a good set.
Old 08-26-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was saying Tell Tale Signs (Volume 8) was a complete rip-off for an extra disc adding an extra $100 to the set. Another Self Portrait (Volume 10) was a bit better with four-discs for $100+, plus seeing as how the extra discs were just a concert and remastered album it wasn't "must-have" content and the cost wasn't justified in my eyes.

This one though is a completely different story. $150 for six-discs of such important material in Dylan's catalog is definitely worth it as far as I'm concerned, although inevitably there will be a price drop probably to around $130 by the time of release if not a little less. I'd purchase it at $150 even if there wasn't any discount.
Old 08-26-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was saying Tell Tale Signs (Volume 8) was a complete rip-off for an extra disc adding an extra $100 to the set. Another Self Portrait (Volume 10) was a bit better with four-discs for $100+, plus seeing as how the extra discs were just a concert and remastered album it wasn't "must-have" content and the cost wasn't justified in my eyes.
You are going to hate hearing this but Another Self Portrait's deluxe edition is totally worth it. I had a hard time with the price myself but bit the bullet. It's easily worth it, the live concert is awesome and I've heard most of Dylan's bootlegs.
Old 08-26-14, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to have this, realistically should I preorder it now or do you guys think it will drop sub $100? What do his bootleg sets usually do?
Old 08-27-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by danfindlay
I have to have this, realistically should I preorder it now or do you guys think it will drop sub $100? What do his bootleg sets usually do?
Sadly, the super-expensive deluxe versions have rarely come down in price. I think this price from Amazon will fall a little but I don't expect to see it under $100 this year.
Old 08-27-14, 01:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well this is obviously a must buy.
Old 08-27-14, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm developing this disconcerting habit of agreeing with Supermallet.

Holy crap! Between this and, Complete Albums I need to take out a bank loan or some damn thing. Maybe Blood on the Tapes will be next :cross:. When does Complete Albums 2 come out? Incidentally, what happened with Shadows in the Night? Wasn't it supposed to come out this week?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-27-14 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
Now that the Basement Tapes are finally being released, the Dylan camp is considering its next archival project. "We're thinking we'll revisit the 1975 era and Blood on the Tracks," says the source. "The unheard stuff from there is crazy. You can hear the first day of recordings before they put all that echo on. It's amazing."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3BdoTQf45
Old 08-27-14, 07:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Blood on the Tracks is one of my all time favorite albums by anyone. It blows me away every time I hear it.
Old 08-27-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

They should do a separate Blood On The Tracks set and then a combined box of the Planet Waves, Desire and Street Legal albums.

Then do a gospel box set. I know people say that it wouldn't do well or be any good but those are the same people who said that a Self Portrait era set would be a waste of time and Another Self Portrait turned out fantastic.

I would also love a set for the 1980's albums full of the demos. It would be great to hear the songs without all the gloss.

I know I am being greedy but Dylan is my favorite artist and I want it all. NOW!

New US and Canadian tour dates were just added on his website too.
Old 08-27-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Blood on the Tracks is one of my all time favorite albums by anyone. It blows me away every time I hear it.
It's amazing. It's worth the price just for "Tangled Up in Blue" and "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" alone, never mind all of the other great songs on it. It's extraordinary. I picked it up during my most formative years, was blown away by the incredible songwriting, and I keep returning to it today, and it continues to improve. Confessional, beautiful, painful, and powerful. Amazing stuff.
Old 09-12-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Has anyone bought items from Bullmoose? They are selling the big box set for $128.97
http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16913584/...e-edition-6-cd
Old 09-12-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have and they were fine but hopefully amazon matches.
Old 09-15-14, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good Lord, look at that price! And I still have to get the Complete Album Collection Volume One yet. Wonder if this'll wind up in Volume Two? Guess it depends on if you want to wait. I'd have to start working a second job to buy these ! This has kicked around on bootleg for a long time, nice that it's finally get an official release.
Old 10-07-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon has a picture of the box set up:

If you look at the Disc 6 label, it says "bonus disc" so that tells me it's the disc with the worst quality.

In case anyone is looking for a good price, Import Cds has this for $96.43. I wonder if I can get Amazon to price match it.

http://www.importcds.com/music/39698...tleg-series-11

UPDATE: I tried price matching at Amazon and was denied. I canceled my order and went with Import CDs. I can't wait to dive into the set. A lot of the music will be new to me since I never owned "Tree With Roots".

Last edited by Ringmaster; 10-08-14 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, that's pretty. I'm excited!!
Old 10-15-14, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

I went with Import CDs too, I've used them lots of times and they're quite good, and their price is $30.00 less than Amazon's currently.
Old 10-27-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NPR has a a few of the songs up for preview.
http://www.npr.org/2014/10/26/357630...m_content=2050

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.