Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Blu-ray audio?

Old 08-07-14, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Blu-ray audio?

School me on Blu-ray audio and what are the top ten must haves(if there are that many)?

How is this different than SuperCDs or DVD-Audio(is that format still around)?
Old 08-07-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Blu-ray audio?

You're obviously committed to DVD. You need to honor that.
Old 08-07-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

SACD (Super Audio CD) is entirely different than any other hi-rez audio format because it uses a unique encoding technique called DSD (Direct Stream Digital) different from the common PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) digital recording technology which is used in CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray Discs, and most digital audio formats. Call it a "revolutionary" digital technology that threw out everything before and started anew, but uses the storage capacity of the standard DVD disc.

DVD-Audio, on the other hand, was closer to an "evolutionary" audio format that improved the PCM technology already used in CDs to higher resolution. So while PCM on standard CDs uses 16-bit samples taken at 44.1 kHz, the audio on DVD-Audio could also use up to 24-bit samples taken at up to 192 kHz. Although it was on standard DVD disc media which has a storage capacity roughly about 10x more than a standard CD, the hi-rez audio could easily use up that space so it also used a lossless compression format called "Meridian Lossless Packing" or MLP to allow some more data without compromising quality.

Despite the technical differences, the sound quality is excellent with both formats of SACD and DVD-Audio, but neither audio format got much more than a niche market. So when DVD was superseded by Blu-ray Discs for HD video content a few years later, I guess the idea of using this new and much higher capacity disc media to store hi-rez audio started again.

So Blu-ray Audio is more like the next "evolutionary" phase of DVD-Audio because it uses the exact same PCM technology to encode audio but just does it on a higher capacity disc standard (Blu-ray Disc media instead of DVD media). (As of yet, I don't think the DSD technology used in SACD has been applied to newer storage media.)

Last edited by dhmac; 08-07-14 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-07-14, 10:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I vaguely remember reading that the whole DSD thing ended up being marketing BS. Not that it wasn't unique and therefore different from DVD-Audio, but just that, on audiophile equipment, it wasn't any better. That was a long time ago, so maybe that article was BS... I wish I could find it.

I own the Nine Inch Nails "Ghosts" Blu-ray, which I guess is almost a Blu-ray Audio, but not officially? I don't even know. Other than that, I don't own any audio-only BDs. I have a handful of SACDs that my Oppo can play, but my receiver doesn't decode DSD, so I'm not getting the full benefit (if there even is one) over DVD-Audio or Blu-ray Audio.

edit: Maybe this was it? http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue26/dsd.htm
Old 08-07-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know what to recommend to you given that it depends on your own taste in music on what you like. But for me, I only spend the extra money for hi-rez audio if it's for some of my favorite music that I never get tired of.

So this is what I own on Blu-ray Audio discs (not a lot, so far):

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Immersion Box Set) (Blu-ray + HD Audio + CD + DVD)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pink-F...Blu-ray/23976/

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Box Set) (Blu-ray + HD Audio + CD + DVD)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pink-F...Blu-ray/23971/

The Velvet Underground & Nico (Blu-ray Audio)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ve...Blu-ray/92880/

And this is what my current wishlist is:

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (Blu-ray Audio)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ve...Blu-ray/93761/

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend: The Best of Bob Marley (Blu-ray Audio)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Legend...lu-ray/103470/

(NOTE: get the newer 2014 release above, not this 2013 one: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bob-Ma...Blu-ray/92879/ )

The Who - Quadrophenia (Blu-ray Audio)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Quadro...lu-ray/101327/

The Who - Tommy (Deluxe Box Set) (includes Blu-ray Audio)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wh...Blu-ray/87670/

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - CSNY 1974 (Blu-ray Audio)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/CSNY-1974-Blu-ray/108598/

Van Morrison - Moondance (Blu-ray Audio)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Van-Mo...Blu-ray/87692/
Old 08-07-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
I vaguely remember reading that the whole DSD thing ended up being marketing BS. Not that it wasn't unique and therefore different from DVD-Audio, but just that, on audiophile equipment, it wasn't any better. That was a long time ago, so maybe that article was BS... I wish I could find it.
DSD works but I do agree the claims that it sounds better than hi-rez PCM are total BS. Especially when you realize that most music recorded digitally uses PCM technology to record it, so a digital master recording would probably be using PCM with 24-bit at either 96 kHz or 192 kHz. That can be put on a Blu-ray Audio or DVD-Audio directly "as-is" but would have to be reprocessed to convert it to DSD - which then seems pointless and definitely would NOT sound better, just (at best) sound the same.

(Of course, if music was originally mastered using DSD then that point would make sense, but I don't think many audio engineers use DSD technology for mastering.)
Old 08-07-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just order Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers-Damn the Torpedoes (Blu-ray audio).
Old 08-07-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own Blu-ray Disc players made by Sony and the models I bought happen to have SACD playback as a bonus feature. So I actually have a few SACD discs (which, for hi-rez, usually are very affordable and cost about the same as a regular CD). The "Hybrid" designation means it's both a regular CD and SACD on the same disc, using different layers on the disc to make it work.

Here's the SACD discs I own:

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (Hybrid CD / SACD - DSD)

Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding (Hybrid CD / SACD - DSD)

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (30th Anniversary Edition) (Hybrid CD / SACD - DSD)

Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition / A Night on Bald Mountain and Other Russian Showpieces (Hybrid CD / SACD - DSD)

The Who - Tommy (Deluxe Edition) (Hybrid CD / SACD - DSD)

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos, No. 1 - 6 (Academy of Ancient Music recording) (Hybrid CD / SACD - DSD)

Last edited by dhmac; 08-07-14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These are what I own in DVD-Audio format (but it's a mostly-dead format now, so I don't plan to buy any more DVD-Audio discs):

The Band - Music From the Big Pink (DVD-Audio)

The Band - The Last Waltz (Live in Concert) (DVD-Audio)

Talking Heads - Talking Heads '77 (DualDisc - DVD-Audio)

Talking Heads - More Songs about Buildings and Food (DualDisc - DVD-Audio)

Talking Heads - Fear of Music (DualDisc - DVD-Audio)

Talking Heads - Remain in Light (DualDisc - DVD-Audio)

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues (DualDisc - DVD-Audio)

Al Green - Greatest Hits (DVD-Audio)

The Pogues - Streams Of Whiskey (Live in Concert) (DVD-Audio)

R.E.M. - Document (DVD-Audio)

Holst - The Planets (DVD-Audio)
Old 08-07-14, 02:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - is also really good - but having the SACD, it's really not that much different on the Blu-ray Audio disc. Personally I think the sound on the SACD sounds airey than the BR
Old 08-07-14, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get the Gentle Giant the Power and the Glory disc and set it to DTS HD MA 5.1 you won't regret it.
Old 08-08-14, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any country and western(my dad might be interested) on Blu-ray audio(or DVD-Audio),especially older stuff(Merle Haggard or George Jones)?

Finding Blu-ray audio complete listing at Amazon is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Old 08-08-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a thread at Steve Hoffman Music Forums for "Blu-ray Audio" ONLY:

[ LINK ]
Old 09-27-14, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wish list of artists that would be to have in Blu-ray audio:

Elvis Presley
Buddy Holly
Ritchie Valens
Blondie
Pat benatar
the doors
Old 04-25-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who appreciate Blu-Ray audio, Bryan Adams' Reckless is only $13.31 at Amazon (link below). From what I can find, this sucker has been in the $25 and up range...so it might be worth the gamble (especially if you are a Bryan Adams fan). You also get a free MP3 rip if you are into that sort of thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NG63A0M/

Edit: According to camelcamelcamel, this is the lowest price its ever been by about $3.50. With only six copies (make that 5) left...I dunno if you are going to get it any lower (assuming you have an interest)

2nd Edit: The auto MP3 rip I was speaking of is ten times better than I thought. It's actually 32 tracks! Basically, the cd+bonus tracks mentioned PLUS a live performance from Bryan Adams at the Hammerstein Ballroom. I thought I would get the album, and maybe the bonus tracks...but not a live performance too. Fantastic buy and now just to get the Blu-ray.

Last edited by Kedrix; 04-25-17 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 05:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Thanks, I picked this up. Good news on the 32 tracks. I've always liked blu ray audio. Shame there isn't too much material like this.
Old 04-26-17, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit
Thanks, I picked this up. Good news on the 32 tracks. I've always liked blu ray audio. Shame there isn't too much material like this.
No problem, it's now sold out basically (somebody can still order, but it would take 2-4 weeks).

Same here on the Blu-ray audio though I don't have much either. I wish Amazon would discount the Tears for Fears one too (Songs from the Big Chair)...$26, there are some third parties hovering around $20...but still.

Edit: Oh and I listened last night to the MP3 rip of the album on the way home...I forgot how damn good of a rock album Reckless is...it's impressive start to finish. It's a shame that a lot of his later stuff is so watered down, this is straight up classic hard rock and roll.

Last edited by Kedrix; 04-26-17 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-07-17, 02:40 PM

If somebody don't mind digging through Amazon.de, they are having a buy 2, get 1 free sale thru the 9th. I am picking up 2 Blu-Ray Audio discs and an Xbox One game (that's not available here in the states on a disc). Here is the link to the whole sale:
https://www.amazon.de/b/ref=amb_link...d_i=B014GLTRWA

Here are the two Blu-Ray Audios I'm picking up:

Tears for Fears Songs from the Big Chair 18.49 Eur
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00NMPSQUQ

Simple Minds Once Upon a Time 21.49 Eur
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B014GLTRWA

(and for the record I am picking up Dreamfall Chapters for Xbox One as my freebie)

After shipping I'm coming up to $45 and some change which is pretty spiffy since those Blu ray Audio discs don't come cheap if you go looking on Ebay.

Last edited by Kedrix; 12-07-17 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks. Somehow Amazon.de is even more difficult to browse than Amazon. For one, they don't have a category for Blu-Ray Audio discs.

I've really liked the few Blu-Ray Audio discs I've got. It doesn't seem like there should be a difference, but I think they sound better than most or all of the DVD-Audio and SACD discs I've got, which is a large number. So far I've only gotten most of the XTC discs, a Tears for Fears album, the Pixies' Doolittle, and the Love & Rockets debut.

Unfortunately I've already missed out on a few others I would have liked to have gotten - all the Queen albums, a Tom Petty disc or two, etc. I'd love to hear them, but I'm not paying $100+ for any of them.
Old 12-07-17, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by GoVegan
So far I've only gotten most of the XTC discs, a Tears for Fears album, the Pixies' Doolittle, and the Love & Rockets debut.
Wait...There is a Love & Rockets blu? I must....go...find....Lol, thanks!
Old 12-08-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

That's how I feel about all the surround formats - half the trouble is/was finding out about releases. The record labels are disappointed by sales, but look at any of the out-of-print discs. They regularly sell for absurd amounts, so the demand is still there. It would be nice to see Amazon doing disc-on-demand for some of these.

I really liked the Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven mix, and I think it's still $15 at Amazon.