Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-28-05, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now for the news that I'm sure most people will agree is absolutely great. Robert Rodriguez will be shooting back to back sequels for SIN CITY 2 and 3 starting February of next year for a release presumably summer of 2007. I guess the studio big wigs were satisfied with the commercial and critical appeal of the uber-cool SIN CITY that they jumped on the shooting back to back sequels bandwagon. Further, Rodriguez plans to start shooting a film titled CONAN for Warner Bros. after he's done with the sequels. We're not sure whether CONAN is the same sequel that's been in development for a few years now, Conan O'Brien's scintillating tell-all autobiography or something completely original.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=7308
Old 04-28-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Cool! Can't wait to see Conan - err - Sin City 2 and Sin City 3!
Old 04-28-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Greatest frickin' news!!!!!
Old 04-28-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back-to-back sequels never work.

Just look at Back to the Future II and III

And Matrix: Reloaded and Revolutions.
Old 04-28-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew

Are you serious? Back to the Future Part 2 is better than the first one. Part 3 could have been better but oh well.
Old 04-28-05, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Are you serious? Back to the Future Part 2 is better than the first one. Part 3 could have been better but oh well.
No he wasn't serious. He just decided to crack a joke out of the blue like that.
Old 04-28-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And you just happen to be an elitist film snob.

I happen to like both Back to the Future films and I happen to love both Matrix sequels.
Old 04-28-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He doesn't care for a few films that you happen to enjoy? MY GOD WHAT A FUCKING SNOB!!@1

-JP
Old 04-28-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having read the rest of the SIN CITY graphic novels, if they do them at the same level of quality as the first one, it should work out fine. Especially if he does get Johnny Depp to play Wallace in TO HELL AND BACK. Oh and more Miho goodness in FAMILY VALUES.
Old 04-28-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think those films and their end results relate well to anything related to Sin City. As darqleo brought out, the stories are there and all that's needed is to adapt them with the same care and quality that was done for the first film.

BTW, i preffer Back to the Future III over Back to the Future II. I like the concept of the first sequel (and it's a whole lot of fun) but it began with too big an inconsistency with regards to Doc Brown's motives. This alone was reason for me to view it as the lesser of the two sequels.
Old 04-28-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn't be more excited. F' the nay-sayers.
Old 04-28-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I for one enjoy the BTTF and Matrix sequels, even if you don't that's hardly a reason to say this will suck. First off, those movies have nothing to do with this one, and precendence means really little. Also, these films are already written, and aren't being built from the ground up after the first film. That reason alone is enough to say these films will kick ass as much as the first, simply because they'll be faithful adaptations like the first one.

I can't wait to see it.
Old 04-28-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
While I for one enjoy the BTTF and Matrix sequels, even if you don't that's hardly a reason to say this will suck. First off, those movies have nothing to do with this one, and precendence means really little. Also, these films are already written, and aren't being built from the ground up after the first film. That reason alone is enough to say these films will kick ass as much as the first, simply because they'll be faithful adaptations like the first one.

I can't wait to see it.
Old 04-28-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweetness....Can't wait
Old 04-28-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I submit to you Lord of the Rings. LOTR is the #1 trilogy of all time.
Old 04-28-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I couldn't be more excited. F' the nay-sayers.
Exactly
I'm in
Old 04-28-05, 08:23 PM

I'm in too.
Old 04-28-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
And you just happen to be an elitist film snob.
I'm not a snob.

I love Back to the Future I. II was good, but could have been better and III just sucks.

Reloaded and Revolutions both suck though. I'm not trying to kill everyone's buzz, just saying that there isn't a good track record for back-to-back sequel filming schedules.
Old 04-28-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts
Old 04-28-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Not sure where they're going to find the source material, since 3 of the 7 books are already featured in one movie. I don't care for "Hell and Back" at all, although I think "A Dame To Kill For" would be pretty great on film.

Maybe Miller is doing some new graphic novels, which would be pretty darned cool and about time.
Old 04-28-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not a snob.

I love Back to the Future I. II was good, but could have been better and III just sucks.

Reloaded and Revolutions both suck though. I'm not trying to kill everyone's buzz, just saying that there isn't a good track record for back-to-back sequel filming schedules.
I don't know, based on your examples I think there's a great track record for back to back sequels
Old 04-28-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I too am wondering where he will get the material. He could do "Dame to Kill For" and "Family Values" but I don't see how adding "To Hell and Back" to the fray necessitates expanding it to two movies. My guess is he might do more of the "Booze, Broads, and Bullets" and shorts.
Old 04-28-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I'm not sure how they're going to get two more movies out of "Sin City."

All that's left are "Hell and Back," which is arguably the worst Sin City yarn, and some of the stuff in it might not translate well at all to film, "A Dame to Kill For," and "Family Values."

"Family Values" is kind of brief, and a pretty pedestrian story. "A Dame to Kill For" is one of the better Sin City tales, and the last book, "Booze Broads and Bullets" is just a collection of shorts, a lot of them very short.

I'm not really sure how this would work. "A Dame to Kill For" and "Family Values" are both Dwight stories, so I don't know if they'd work well in the same movie.

"Hell and Back" would probably combine well with "Booze Broads and Bullets" since a couple of the longer stories there feature Delia. (Also wonder if
Spoiler:
Alexis Bledel
will be playing
Spoiler:
Delia
in that one. The first movie kind of implied that they were the same character.)
Old 04-28-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just curious. What's the fallout of Rodriquez getting kicked out of DGA for putting Miller as a director? I don't know anything about the business part of movies. Is this a big deal?
Old 04-28-05, 10:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kind of agree with you here. Now I like the BTTF sequels, but I think if they had concentrated on making one movie at a time the end results would've been better. And the Matrix sequels felt like they had the ideas for one amazing movie, but stuffed it with filler to stretch it into two lesser movies.

That said, I don't think the Sin City sequels will fall victim to either of these problems, simply because of the way he's translating and filming these stories.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.