Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-22-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been waiting for The Good Wife and Community season one sets on Blu-Ray. So far they are only announced for DVD. They broadcast in high def so what gives? I am sure there are others, but those are at least two I noticed right away when they were announced.
Old 07-22-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why aren't new TV show releases coming on Blu-Ray?

Short answer: sales.

We all know that catalog sales of packaged media have tanked. Well, there was data released recently that TV on DVD, which were normally cash cows, were also nosediving.

This in Home Media Magazine last month:

The latest concern I’ve been hearing from studio executives is that catalog sales are down a dismal 20%, TV DVD is a shadow of its former self, and new releases continue to be hit or miss — to the point where Tuesday is easily the most stressful day of the week at the studios.
Combine that with some studios -- like Fox -- charging $20 or $40 dollars more for BD TV releases than their DVD counterpart; folks aren't willing to make to shell out the cash when the DVD seasons can be had at Target or Best Buy for $20 or less within months of release, versus the BD release that is stuck at $40 or $50.

Studios then turn around and claim that sales aren't strong enough for subsequent seasons.

It's a sad little BD TV graveyard.

Fox has already dropped Burn Notice, Prison Break, How I Met Your Mother and Lie to Me -- but they're trying The Simpsons Season 13 and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 5 in the coming weeks, which are just up-converts from SD sources.

So we're expected to pay more for something half-assed.

(I was surprised to see that The League: Season 1 was announced this week by Fox.)

Disney seemed to have with success (not sure how much of a success) with Lost, but have dropped everything else.

Sony (makers of Community) dropped Damages.

Warner is trying with a "big" push this Fall with more Chuck, Clone Wars, Smallville and Supernatural. And they're trying with Big Bang Theory, V, more Peanuts specials, Metalocalypse and Human Target.

HBO has likely done OK with True Blood... and at least they're trying with Bored to Death and Hung. But with the catalog market as it is, I can't see them going back to The Sopranos anytime soon.

I know Paramount/CBS (home studio for the Good Wife) is releasing NCIS: Los Angeles, but they've given up on CSI and I can't think of any property outside of Star Trek and Dexter they've tried.

Universal has done Heroes, The Office and Battlestar: Galactica -- and will attempt House: Season Six, continue The Office and finish Heroes this fall.

Lionsgate has less risk with Mad Men and Weeds -- and anything they make back is likely worth it to them.

Last edited by Adboy151; 07-23-10 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-22-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the sales part I understand in part but on the first season of the first series? And do they REALLY HAVE to charge that much more for the Blu-Ray? It can't possibly cost that much more to produce a high def transfer than a standard def transfer, can it?

That said, there is no way in the world I would EVER pay $40.00 for a season of the Simpsons on Blu-Ray. NEVER. Not when you can find the regular season sets under $20.00 quite often. It's insane they charge double the price of the regular DVD. I see absolutely no reason why they do it. It's one thing that has made me hold off on buying Breaking Bad on Blu-Ray. They mark down the first season to $12.00 on amazon.com but the first season on Blu doesn't budge in price at all (in fact, I think it actually increased!)
Old 07-22-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

If you don't think Blu-ray is worth the extra money, don't buy the BD. Then studios can decide whether to lower the price or to give up on it.

The formula has been scripted action on BD. No point to 2.5 Men. Warner is being more stubborn than Fox in sticking with these shows.
Old 07-23-10, 12:39 AM

I would love to see 30 Rock on blu ray, but being a show with low ratings doesn't help it's chances.
Old 07-23-10, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For now, since Lost is coming, all I REALLY need is all of the House seasons. That's all that I ask the BD Gods for.

Anything else is a bonus, as I actually find myself pretty happy with my mostly 4:3 shows from the past the way that they are and not as interested in new tv shows as I expected.

Other than House, really, Big Love, of newer shows, is really the only show I'd LOVE to have on BD.

I guess I'm watching less tv and certainly watching it less on DVD and BD.

I know fair has nothing to do with it, but I still find the practice of stopping BD releases after "x" amount of season to be shitty. I'll be very disappointed, say, if I end up with a mix of SD and BD House seasons.
Old 07-23-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I guess the sales part I understand in part but on the first season of the first series? And do they REALLY HAVE to charge that much more for the Blu-Ray? It can't possibly cost that much more to produce a high def transfer than a standard def transfer, can it?

That said, there is no way in the world I would EVER pay $40.00 for a season of the Simpsons on Blu-Ray. NEVER. Not when you can find the regular season sets under $20.00 quite often. It's insane they charge double the price of the regular DVD. I see absolutely no reason why they do it. It's one thing that has made me hold off on buying Breaking Bad on Blu-Ray. They mark down the first season to $12.00 on amazon.com but the first season on Blu doesn't budge in price at all (in fact, I think it actually increased!)
I have no idea what it costs to make an HD master compared to SD, but there must be some expense. And obviously it takes a lot more time to do a TV season than a movie.

I've seen other boards where people say "I want Fringe on BD, but I won't pay more than $20 for it." I don't get it: if they want BD, they presumably value it more than SD, but they won't pay more for it. And of course there's a lot longer running time than a movie, but they still want to pay the same price, or maybe a little more. As I said before, if you don't want it for that price, then don't buy it, and the market will figure it out.

SD or BD, these are tough times for packaged TV. There are too many other ways for people to watch their shows, not to mention other forms of entertainment, as has been mentioned.
Old 07-23-10, 06:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I think the price thing has a lot to do with it. I think it used to be that only we bargain shoppers scoured places for bargains, and waited for price drops. But with the influx of constant $5 endcaps and bins at the mass retailers, and big Black Friday sales, the masses are learning to be patient too.
Old 07-23-10, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151

Universal (makers of Community)
That is actually a Sony show. And Sony believes very little on TV on BD.
Old 07-23-10, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG87
I would love to see 30 Rock on blu ray, but being a show with low ratings doesn't help it's chances.
A Season 3 (or 4? Whenever The Office hit BD) set was planned, but canceled.
Old 07-23-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adboy151
(I was surprised to see that The League: Season 1 was announced this week by Fox.)
Hell Yes! I missed that announcement - this is awesome. Break out the three penis wine! One of my favourite shows and even though I've already watched season 1 three times, I'm definitely in for this and will convert more people to watching this great show!
Old 07-23-10, 10:33 AM

While I would love to buy (or re-buy) most of my TV shows in Blu, I refuse to do so unless I know that the previous seasons will be released in the same format. I don't want S1-3 in SD, then S4 in BD and so on. Basically that means that the only two shows I will be picking up in the near future are Star Trek: TOS and Chuck. Of course, the prices per season are far too high so that doesn't help much either.
Old 07-23-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't understand the 'all or nothing' mentality of owning shows on BD. I personally would rather see everything in the best available way, even if that means some seasons are DVDs and some are BD. Otherwise, you're just missing out on the quality of the releases that ARE BD.
Old 07-23-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really hoping that the newest release of Eureka and the release of the first season on Warehouse 13 would come to blu-ray but I guess it is too much to ask for. They will put stuff like their Alice and Tin Man movies and Santuary, which I watch when there is simply NOTHING else on, out on blu but pass on other things.
Old 07-23-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think there are any current TV shows I would buy on Blu-ray....come to think of it, I barely watch any current shows.

However, I would re-buy Twin Peaks on 1080p in one second.
Old 07-23-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

I prefer shorter season shows and mini series (Band of Brothers, Pacific) I'll probably pick up Bored to Death, John Adams at some point. I just don't have the time or desire to revisit shows that'll take up a substantial amount of time.

I like the idea of The Simpsons on fewer discs for blu-ray, even if the quality difference is negligible. Don't know if I want to start at s13 though.
Old 07-23-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I don't think there are any current TV shows I would buy on Blu-ray....come to think of it, I barely watch any current shows.
True Blood, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad are all terrific shows with great Blu-Rays. That's about it though.
edit: and Hung.
Old 07-23-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
True Blood, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad are all terrific shows with great Blu-Rays. That's about it though.
Using your list as an example:

True blood is a show I enjoy. Didn't like season 2, but 3 seems much better. It will still take at least a solid rest of this season and next before I'd want to own it. Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy I don't watch. Finally, I actually find Hung to be a lot of fun with a better story than most, good charcaters, and top notch acting. But it's still not something I think I'd want to revisit. So, that leaves Mad Men, which I very well might buy after it ends.

Just don't really re-watch a lot of tv any longer. And it's a big financial commitment if you aren't watching them. I have many SD shows and, for example, I still find myself more likely to throw on Buffy in SD or Arrested Development in SD than True Blood even though I like the show and it's available in HD.

I do hope peope get their shows, though. I never would have believed Ed would never make it to DVD and it sucks.
Old 07-23-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

The answer has been covered: Price. when prices on blue ray season sets come down to a more reasonable level, sales will go up.
Old 07-23-10, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy I don't watch.
I highly recommend you remedy that situation. Both are terrific shows.
Old 07-23-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

Doesn't Sony Make Justified? When it comes out on dvd, I hope it gets a bluray release.
Old 07-23-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Those are great shows but certainly only the tip of the TV on blu-ray iceberg. Other decent releases: Supernatural, Fringe, Lost, Dexter, White Collar etc.
Old 07-23-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do hope that Warner releases season two of Supernatural on BD but I'm not sure how well seasons one, three and four are selling.
Old 07-23-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
I do hope that Warner releases season two of Supernatural on BD but I'm not sure how well seasons one, three and four are selling.
I'm sure season 1 will be the test case as they had to "go back" for it rather than along with the DVDs of the other seasons.
Old 07-23-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you ask me, if the show can be made and shown in HD, there should be a HD release.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.