Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War for the Planet of the Apes (D: Reeves, 7/14/2017) - News, Rumors, Etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-07-14, 06:55 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Right after 20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment began screening his cut of Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Matt Reeves has signed on to direct the third installment of the franchise. This time, he will write the script with Mark Bomback, one of the writers who scripted the sequel. Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa were the scribes who resurrected the franchise with Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, the Ruper Wyatt-directed film that grossed $482 million worldwide in 2011. The directing deal is done and the writer deals are being worked out right now. It is likely that Reeves will go right into the third film, a priority for the studio.

The sequel is set to debut July 11, 2014, and it stars Gary Oldman, Jason Clarke and Keri Russell, with Andy Serkis reprising his role as Caesar, the intelligent ape that led the breakout from a lab before much of the human race was wiped out at the close of the first film. The survivors square off against Caesar’s growing army in the second film. The pic is based on the Pierre Boulle novel, and was first turned into a film that starred Charlton Heston in 1968.

Peter Chernin is producing the series for Chernin Entertainment. Reeves, who helmed Cloverfield and the remake Let Me In, is repped by CAA, Howard Klein at 3 Arts and attorney Karl Austen.
Old 01-07-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Matt Reeves To Helm ‘Planet Of The Apes 3′

Assuming Dawn is good, this is welcome news.
Old 01-07-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I still say they should have let Serkis take a turn at directing. However, this could be a big vote of confidence in this new guy. I am curious as to where they are going with this series.
Old 01-07-14, 07:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not like Matt Reeves is some unknown.
Old 01-07-14, 08:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Actually he is to me, but I looked him up in imdb. I liked Let Me In okay, but didn't know he did Cloverfield.
Old 01-07-14, 09:51 PM
Banned by request

I was responding more to the big vote of confidence comment. Reeves isn't a nobody to the studios.
Old 01-07-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

True, but he's also replaceable on a series like this. The studio sticking by him for another go is a positive sign. Now, let's wait and see if he feels like staying, unlike Wyatt.
Old 01-08-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

This isn't unheard of before a sequel comes out...I think it's just studios getting a person (or persons) locked into a commitment in case the movie makes enough to warrant a sequel - it's by no means a guarantee of another sequel. Of course, they'll still have to pay Reeves if a sequel doesn't happen, but again this stuff happens all the time.
Old 01-08-14, 08:34 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I like Reeves and think this is a smart move for the franchise. I was hopeful he was going to get the Man of Steel gig a few years back, but we all know how that turned out.
Old 01-08-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Wait, so the 2001 Planet of the Apes isn't considered part of this "franchise"? I had assumed that Rise of the Planet of the Apes was meant as a prequel to that remake.
Old 01-08-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I assumed that they're ignoring the 2001 film entirely and just rebooting from scratch.
Old 01-08-14, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. Burton film isn't canon for this new series.
Old 01-08-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I assumed that they're ignoring the 2001 film entirely and just rebooting from scratch.
This is correct and yes the Burton film needs to be ignored entirely.
Old 01-08-14, 04:59 PM
Banned by request

There was no remake. There was the original series of films and then Rise. There was also a Tim Burton movie with the same name as the original film, but it was just a shitty Tim Burton film (or, as I like to call them lately, "Tim Burton films").
Old 01-08-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The makeup in the Burton movie is AMAZING. Unfortunately, it's the only worthwhile thing in the film. I actually got to see the original on the big screen this summer (In 35mm? I couldn't tell.). I got into a POTA mood and rented all four sequels. What interesting is that though the original movies do have some cheesy elements and dated FX, they are fundamentally about ideas, usually allegorically. The Burton movie, by contrast, is the exact opposite: a movie which exists entirely in the design and has nothing on its mind at all.
Old 01-08-14, 05:23 PM
Banned by request

Sounds like a Tim Burton film.
Old 01-08-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I am curious as to whether this new series is a prequel to the original series or a re-boot that's telling the story again but more from the apes' perspective. They have technically already gone off the timeline of the original series, so I am guessing the latter. Also, I think having Charlton Heston movies playing in the universe where Charlton Heston is supposed to later arrive would take people out of the story.
Old 01-08-14, 09:08 PM
Banned by request

The events don't match up at all. In the original series, Caesar was born a talking ape, not turned into one through science. Also, Cornelius and Zira become celebrities before giving birth to Caesar. And there's a period where apes are used for manual labor.
Old 01-08-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I am curious as to whether this new series is a prequel to the original series or a re-boot that's telling the story again but more from the apes' perspective. They have technically already gone off the timeline of the original series, so I am guessing the latter. Also, I think having Charlton Heston movies playing in the universe where Charlton Heston is supposed to later arrive would take people out of the story.
Originally Posted by Supermallet
The events don't match up at all. In the original series, Caesar was born a talking ape, not turned into one through science. Also, Cornelius and Zira become celebrities before giving birth to Caesar. And there's a period where apes are used for manual labor.

Right, it's an entirely new timeline, but Rise sort of uses the ideas of the third movie (Conquest) as its starting point, so it's sort of a reboot/remake in that sense.

----------------

I have to think this bodes very well for Dawn, Reeves must have really knocked their socks off. Let's just hope it can bring in the numbers and still maintain the story and feel of Rise.
Old 01-15-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

The 3rd movie "drops" on 7/29/16.
Old 01-15-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Wonder if they're going to wrap it as a trilogy or leave themselves opening to keep making more films?
Old 07-13-14, 01:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

http://www.mtv.com/news/1866406/dawn...t+Headlines%29

Don't stop THIS 'Planet Of The Apes,' we never want to get off.
by Alex Zalben 34 mins ago

“Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes” isn’t a movie, it’s a chapter. It’s an excellent, well made chapter, but it’s only a small part of the saga begun in “Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes.” And while this chapter is closed for now, the ending of “Dawn” poses several huge questions about the franchise.

Here’s everything we need know about “Apes 3,” given where we left off in “Dawn:”

Spoiler:
1. Is The Army Really Coming?

Everything we know about the Simian Flu in “Dawn” tells us that the population of Earth has been more than decimated. There’s clearly strongholds of immunity, as glimpsed in San Francisco, but are there really enough people in the United States Army to come mount a rescue of the remaining Bay City humans?

And even if they are, why are they coming? What do they want? Are they looking to bring the smack down on the Apes, or offer a peace treaty? Plus, perhaps there aren’t even that many of them left.

Point is, despite Guy At Communication Station #2′s assertion that the Army is coming, we don’t know exactly what that means.

2. Is Koba Dead?

You wouldn’t think he could survive getting dropped hundreds of feet under construction equipment, but the apes seem to be way sturdier than the humans. It would certainly undercut the emotional wallop of that ending, but we could see a world where Koba managed to survive. Particularly as Koba’s view of the world definitely fits where “Planet Of The Apes” is headed far better than Caesar’s. Speaking of which…

3. Planet Of The Caesar?

One of the biggest questions dangling at the end of “Dawn” is whether this new series will connect up to “Planet Of The Apes,” or just tell the story of Caesar. Despite the jump of a decade between “Rise” and “Dawn,” there’s still thousands of years until we reach the point of the 1968 original, a point the filmmakers have said we’re heading towards down the road.

So when “Apes 3″ hits, will it finish up Caesar’s story, or zoom ahead even further?

4. Series Love Humans More Than Apes?

Related: what about those damn dirty humans? Nothing against the actors involved, but they’re clearly not the selling point of these movies, and we know their story is one doomed for tragedy. That aside, will the third movie push humans back to the forefront, or the backburner?

And related, after James Franco’s surprising “return” in “Dawn,” will we see Jason Clark or Keri Russell back for another round, or a new group of Ape Chow?

5. Where On The Planet Of The Apes Will We Be?

With each installment, the series has expanded its focus, though kept things centered around San Francisco. We don’t know our geography very well, but one city ain’t a planet of apes, so will the third try to expand beyond the Bay Area? Maybe the Apes could take a road trip to Vegas? At the very least, now that we know what’s going on in San Fran, let’s see what’s happened with the apes in the rest of the world.

6. Apes In Space?

There’s one slightly dangling plot thread out there, in case you’ve forgotten. In “Rise,” a spaceship is sent off into the great beyond, the same spaceship that sent George Taylor (Charlton Heston) off in the original movie. There’s clearly a large time difference going on, but could we see either what’s happening on that spaceship, or maybe even end with the crash landing from the first movie?

And what if, in a shocking twist, it was Mark Wahlberg the whole time? What if???

Last edited by dex14; 07-13-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-13-14, 02:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well thanks Oldboy ... That will teach me not to read about the next movie til I see the current movie... Spoilers galore!
Old 07-13-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
Well thanks Oldboy ... That will teach me not to read about the next movie til I see the current movie... Spoilers galore!
No shit. Can a mod put some spoilers in there?
Old 07-13-14, 03:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

ugh. sorry. i didn't even realize...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.