Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

#driveclub (PS4) -- PS+ demo live NOW (6/25/2015)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-30-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

We've had a lot of discussion of this game in the PS4 thread (and now in the thread's title as well), but since they've started moving forward with announcements, trailers and release dates, I thought the time was right to start its own thread.
This game should have a large social aspect (and be available to every PS Plus member in a more limited form). Hopefully we'll be able to start our own DVD Talk club here once it's out..

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ny3JYGXCmFg?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ny3JYGXCmFg?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 04-30-14, 11:52 AM

re: #driveclub (PS4) -- PS+ demo live NOW (6/25/2015)

DRIVECLUB Update from Evolution Studios

+ Posted by Paul Rustchynsky on Apr 30, 2014 // Game Director, MotorStorm RC

Hi everyone. Following Shuhei’s message yesterday, I’m here give to you an update on DRIVECLUB direct from Evolution Studios.

I’m proud to be leading the extremely talented and hard-working development team here at Evolution. As gamers first and foremost, we are determined to deliver the game we promised to the quality we know you expect.

We appreciate all of your support — it’s motivating and humbling for us to have such a vocal and supportive community. Your messages drive us to do everything we can to live up to our original ambition of making DRIVECLUB the game that invigorates the racing genre again.

Your great support deserves us to be open with you. I know we have been quiet for a while since we made the decision to delay the game, so I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know exactly why the team felt that DRIVECLUB needed more development. We wanted to make sure we got one important feature right.

The dynamic menu is key to how much fun you’re going to get out of the game because it is the glue that connects you to everyone else in the DRIVECLUB community. Whenever you fire up the game; between every race you play, and when you log in to DRIVECLUB on your phone or tablet, the dynamic menu has to be slick to ensure your experience is seamlessly connected. Essentially it’s where you discover what to play, and who to play with.

It’s also absolutely vital to our ambition of growing a vibrant network of millions of connected clubs, who all share the excitement of driving amazing cars together. Whether they play just to have fun, or to complete every challenge and beat their rivals in every race, it’s this connected community who will keep the game fresh and enjoyable well after launch, so it makes sense for the connectivity to be perfect.

No racing title has ever combined the development of a socially charged, multi-platform dynamic menu with all the other connected online elements that DRIVECLUB delivers. We know that what we are creating here is hugely ambitious and we’re proud of the fact that we’re getting close now because we’re a relatively small studio. The progress we’re making is great, so I’m looking forward to showing you more as development continues and prove that all the hard work has been worth it.

While that work goes on, the rest of the team here is relentless when it comes to exploiting the power and confidence of PS4, so we’re also raising the bar even higher across other aspects of the game including:

Visuals — We’re constantly improving how stunning the game looks as we continue to optimize visuals and find new ways of pushing PS4. You can see for yourself how it looks right now in the latest video we shared yesterday because all the footage was captured on PS4 from the game. It’ll look even better in October.
Audio — It’s absolutely state of the art. We’re continuing to refine the authentic sounds that we have for each and every car in the game, and we’re going to put together videos that focus on this.
Driving — It already feels great to play and we’re continuing to add further layers to the physics to make it both more accessible for everybody and more sophisticated for experienced racers.
Clubs — We’re making it easier for you to keep up to speed with what’s going on in your club as part of the rework on the dynamic menus. We’ve also tweaked clubs to support up to 6 players instead of 12 (because the game is more fun with tightly-knit clubs and it paves the way for awesome 6-on-6 club races).
Tour — The difficulty curve for the campaign mode is becoming even smoother as we continue to optimize the vehicle handling and also refine the game’s AI for non-player racers.
Cars & Tracks — More time means more staggeringly detailed cars and exciting tracks, too. If you haven’t already, check out the Ferrari in the video released yesterday. There are loads more exciting cars for us to reveal in the coming months.

Thanks again to everybody for your continued support; it really is a huge source of inspiration for the team. We appreciate that there’s a lot of anticipation and excitement for everything that DRIVECLUB promises to be, so we hope that you understand why we won’t compromise on quality to rush it to you.

It’s been a long and hard Winter, but it’s great that we can finally start sharing updates with you again about all of the cool things that DRIVECLUB does. We don’t anticipate another quiet period for a while so you can expect to see plenty more from us in the coming weeks leading up to E3 2014!

More soon,
The DRIVECLUB Team
Old 05-07-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Update on the PS Blog (cars, tracks, PS+):

Last week we announced the release date for PS4’s first socially connected racing game – DRIVECLUB.

The response we’ve seen to the trailer is seriously overwhelming, and it’s time for some more news.

Welcome to the first of three DRIVECLUB updates this week. DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition has been a hot topic since its announce, so today’s video (the first of three) should answer most of your questions about the actual content included in this edition compared to the Blu-ray version.

One of the recurring questions we keep seeing is about the scale of the PlayStation Plus Edition. The simple answer is that with an active PlayStation Plus subscription, you can download DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition, which comes with one location (India), 11 tracks, 10 cars and access to all game modes.

But why did we choose to offer this particular selection of the game to PlayStation Plus subscribers for free?

DRIVECLUB is inherently next gen. It’s about accessibility for all and building a community of gamers who love online play. DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition is designed to be a quick and easy way for gamers all over the world to join the DRIVECLUB community. You can take part in all the game modes, set, send and compete in challenges, and race online against others in the DRIVECLUB community.

We think you’ll have a lot of fun playing DRIVECLUB once it launches on October 7th, digitally via the PlayStation store and on Blu-ray at your local retailer. If you’re an active PlayStation Plus subscriber and have been playing the PlayStation Plus Edition, but decide you want the full DRIVECLUB experience, you can purchase a one-time upgrade for $49.99. This will give you access to all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events, as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active.

If you’re not an active PlayStation Plus member, you can still get DRIVECLUB via the PlayStation Store or your local retailer on Blu-ray.

Stay tuned because there’s more content coming tomorrow with the ‘Clubs’ video, explaining why they’re crucial to making DRIVECLUB distinctly different.

Friday’s episode is all about challenges – why we love ‘em, what they give you and importantly, how they’ll make the game infinitely more networked and fun to play in your Club.

Over and out.
That really sucks that if you upgrade and later let your PS+ membership lapse, you're out a $50 purchase.
Old 05-07-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

So provided this isn't a colossal screw up in wording, the take away is try the free version, but if you like it buy the full version and stay away from the upgrade.
Old 05-07-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

There's a video that makes it pretty explicit. They're basically treating the "PS+ edition" as the game and all the other locations, tracks, cars, etc. as DLC. I don't know why they don't just have the full version discounted for PS+ subscribers the way they do with so many other games every month.

Even though I don't plan on giving up PS+ anytime soon, there's no way in Hell I'd consider that upgrade. The extra $10 is worth that peace of mind to me.
Old 05-07-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The PS+ version sounds like a glorified demo. When they first announced it, it sounded like the PS+ version was going to be missing some (a few) tracks and cars. Not 90% of them. But yeah, I guess try it out and if you like it, wait for a year before the full game goes free on PS+ . I'm still not expecting too much from this one. I'll wait for GT6 HHD version.
Old 05-07-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I keep the hashtag as long as I keep PS+?
Old 05-07-14, 05:02 PM

I had assumed they'd make the PS Plus upgrade about $29.99. That seems very fair. But $50? That's insane. The extra $10 gets you a full game AND another 3 months of PS Plus.
Glad I got my great deal from Kmart ($50 in SYWR points with game purchase) while I could. Seems even better deal now.
Old 05-09-14, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Sony realized how dumb they were being:

Our priority for DRIVECLUB is to enable you to play and enjoy everything it has to offer and PlayStation recognises that the prior plan for DRIVECLUB entitlement for the upgrade to the PS Plus edition was not appropriate. As a result, we have adjusted the PlayStation Plus terms for DRIVECLUB.
Old 05-09-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Good cause that was stupid, and they shouldn't do anything to stop the great momentum they are on.
Old 05-09-14, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Our priority for DRIVECLUB is to enable you to play and enjoy everything it has to offer and PlayStation recognises that the prior plan for DRIVECLUB entitlement for the upgrade to the PS Plus edition was not appropriate. As a result, we have adjusted the PlayStation Plus terms for DRIVECLUB.
I'll probably just play the PS+ demo until the disk is cheap if I get Driveclub at all, and I think the dev process for the game looks like a clusterfuck, but I have to say that the corporate culture at Sony and how they are communicating right now is kind of amazing.

Listen to feedback, own your error, correct it promptly, and don't blame consumers for "not understanding your vision".

I wonder how much the $50 price point has to do with keeping retailers happy. It kind of looks like their first dip in the pool of undercutting retail via PS Plus, and I'm sure they have to tread lightly.
Old 05-09-14, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'll definitely give the PS+ demo a shot...no reason not to. The competition around then is just a little too stiff as far as racing games go. I think I'd be more likely to grab Project CARS or the heavily rumored Forza Horizon 2 this Fall over Driveclub at full retail. (I'll be married by then, so I guess the answer will be "whatever my wife wants the most". I like racing games, but she's the fanatic.)
Old 05-09-14, 08:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Whoa. I thought this game was going to be free for PS+, not just a demo.
Old 05-09-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Sony considers it to be more than a demo, but...yeah. You get a handful of cars, one location (India, I think), but all the game modes.

"The PlayStation Plus Edition hasn't changed," he wrote. "It's hardly a demo because you get access to all of the game's features online and offline.

"The difference is that you only have 10 cars and you can only race in one country (which gives you access to five tracks with 11 distinct variants)."
Old 05-09-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I called it a demo because that's what it sounds like to me, but it's a little more feature rich than your usual demo...think I heard 10 cars and 5 tracks...all game modes.
Old 05-09-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
Listen to feedback, own your error, correct it promptly, and don't blame consumers for "not understanding your vision".
Old 05-09-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So dumb. Anyway, a couple of new videos. Click 1080p:

Day night cycle

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KoB8y71lgr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Headlights

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E7Q6BERADcw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-09-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
you've used that well twice now. well done, sir.
Old 05-09-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And lets be serious, when they say all game modes are going to be available on both versions, which ones are people really going to be using? Single player and multiplayer. That's about it. So things like time attack and whatnot isn't really filling the gap between missing 40 cars, 44 tracks, and 4 locations.
Old 05-09-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I was kinda looking forward to this game, but not so much now after the delay, because I figure by the time it comes out, I'll be dick-deep in enough games that I won't care much about it.
Old 05-09-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I was kinda looking forward to this game, but not so much now after the delay, because I figure by the time it comes out, I'll be dick-deep in enough games that I won't care much about it.
I don't think you're playing video games right...
Old 05-09-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

dumbgif.gif
Originally Posted by Deftones
you've used that well twice now. well done, sir.
Old 05-09-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

On microtransactions:

In Driveclub you earn Fame, and as you earn Fame, you level up. Every time you level up, we give you another car. There’s no double gating or anything along those lines, you’re given the car straight away without having to do anything else. The only thing we do have is a couple of shortcuts.

"If you want to unlock a car immediately, you can pay to unlock that car straight away but it’s not a consumable microtransaction. We don’t let people buy Fame, for example and spend lots and lots. The idea is if you want to shortcut things you can do – it’s identical to what we did in Motorstorm RC. So if you played that, you know what we’re doing here."
Old 05-09-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't think you're playing video games right...
Or maybe I am, and you're not...
Old 05-09-14, 11:38 AM

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.