Reload this Page >

Comic books that have made you cry

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 02-19-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who watches Comic Book Men may have seen cast regular Mike Zapcic confess he cried when he read the death of Jean Grey (he was 12, but still). He got a lot of crap from the other guys on the show.

This got me to thinking... has a comic book ever made me cry. I've been reading comic books for 25 years and I'm sure it's happened more than once, but the only story I can remember making me cry was "What Ever Happened to the Cape Crusader" by Neil Gaiman from 2009. I recall weeping like a little bitch at the end of that one.

Anyone else?
Old 02-19-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: Comic books that have made you cry

I know you tie it into a tv show, but from the title alone I was a bit confused.

I don't remember actually crying, but I probably did in Crisis when Supergirl died. Barry, eh, but Supergirl!

I was shocked by Jean Grey too. But nowadays nobody stays dead in comics, so it's hard to feel emotional when there are no lasting repercussions. The last death I really remember was papa Knight in Starman.

We3

Berserk (manga): it's basically just a longform tale of being miserable in general, but man the Griffith flashback arc (which is where the anime comes from) really shows the rise and fall of the Band of the Hawk.

Vinland Saga (manga)
Old 02-19-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The death of Barry Allen in Crisis. A little part of me died that day, it was so shocking to my young mind. DC could have easily sacrificed a second-stringer like Aquaman, but they had to kill my favorite DC hero at the time. It took me years to accept Wally as the Flash.

The only other one I can think of is Alan Moore's magnificent send-off for the real Superman, in Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? I don't think we've ever really seen that character again from DC and it was a love letter to the hero most responsible for keeping the industry afloat for many years. DC really should have let Moore run wild with a Superman series, he proved on Supreme he understood the character better than anyone actually working at DC.
Old 02-19-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I cried more for Supergirl's death than The Flash's during the Crisis.

Rorschach's death also made me tear up. “No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.” That just blew me away.

Recent comics - When the shadow image of Jean Grey talked Cyclops-Phoenix down at the end of Avengers Vs. X-Men.

Can't really think of any other time off the top of my head.
Old 02-19-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

The death of Krypto in Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow". Hits me every time.

I can't read Maus without getting choked up on more than one occasion.

There are some REALLY emotional moments in "Strangers In Paradise"... but then I have this weird crush-on-a-literary figure thing going on with Francine.
Old 02-19-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Death of Supergirl got to me. I was about 7 and the cover freaked me out with Superman crying.

GI Joe 155, didn't make me cry, but it was a powerful issue with the first time narration by Snake Eyes about life in the miltary.
Old 02-19-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you girls being serious?
Old 02-19-14, 02:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm not going to read this thread closely for fear of spoilers. I'm an emotional weakling every since my father died, I well up at commercials at least once a week. But with comics I think it's ingrained in me to expect a resurrection or other 'trick' on any death. I remember being upset by the two biggie deaths in Crisis, and I'm pretty sure Alan Moore's last Superman story got me teary once or twice.
Old 02-19-14, 02:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

The end of Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader by Neil Gaiman left me all teary-eyed.
Old 02-19-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The death of Barry Allen in Crisis. A little part of me died that day, it was so shocking to my young mind. DC could have easily sacrificed a second-stringer like Aquaman, but they had to kill my favorite DC hero at the time. It took me years to accept Wally as the Flash.
Barry was a second stringer. Leading up to Crisis, the long running Trial of the Flash storyline seemingly killed his ongoing series, and he retired (and was cancelled) shortly before Crisis, I think he was living in the future or something like that. It seemed like Wally was going to take up the mantle anyway, even if Barry didn't die. So it's not like they took a character at the height of his popularity. Even though the tv show was Barry, that was years after Crisis IIRC.
Old 02-19-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I haven't cried and can't see myself ever crying over the death of a superhero in a comic since they never stay dead. I guess the closest I have come would be in Superman: Earth One when his cat dies. It was very cool and touching the way he goes about burying it.
Old 02-19-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
There are some REALLY emotional moments in "Strangers In Paradise"... but then I have this weird crush-on-a-literary figure thing going on with Francine.
It's a testament to Terry Moore that I too had a mad crush on Francine.
Old 02-19-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Barry was a second stringer. Leading up to Crisis, the long running Trial of the Flash storyline seemingly killed his ongoing series, and he retired (and was cancelled) shortly before Crisis, I think he was living in the future or something like that. It seemed like Wally was going to take up the mantle anyway, even if Barry didn't die. So it's not like they took a character at the height of his popularity. Even though the tv show was Barry, that was years after Crisis IIRC.
Yeah. After his trial, Barry went into the future to "live happily ever after" with Iris. The entire DCU thought he was MIA so they were in the process of trying to find him before the Crisis hit.

Wally wasn't going to replace Barry at that point because he was having problems with his powers. Every time he ran, he was killing himself. This was fixed at the end of the Crisis before he took the Flash mantle.

There was no reason to resurrect Barry Allen as the Flash during Final Crisis (outside of Silver Age fans being in charge of DC). His death was poignant and hammered home that the Silver Age was over. Wally more than replaced him.
Old 02-19-14, 03:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sandman got me multiple times. Strangers in Paradise as well. A few moments in the Alan Moore run of Swamp Thing.

I've never cried for the death of a big name superhero because they're all such obvious gimmicks.

I remember when Marvel announced their Ultimate comics and one of the things they said was that people who died in those comics would stay dead. IIRC, they killed off Beast early in the run of Ultimate X-Men, and I was like, "Okay! They're really taking this to new places. Then they brought him back a year later. Fuggedaboutit.
Old 02-19-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Sandman got me multiple times. Strangers in Paradise as well. A few moments in the Alan Moore run of Swamp Thing.

I've never cried for the death of a big name superhero because they're all such obvious gimmicks.

I remember when Marvel announced their Ultimate comics and one of the things they said was that people who died in those comics would stay dead. IIRC, they killed off Beast early in the run of Ultimate X-Men, and I was like, "Okay! They're really taking this to new places. Then they brought him back a year later. Fuggedaboutit.
Have you read Ultimate Spider-man? Or (done much worse) ultimatum?
Old 02-19-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Seeing and imagining Krypto slowly die of kryptonite poison in Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow is tough. Especially since he came back to be by his master's side during his greatest hour of need.
Old 02-19-14, 07:20 PM

I can't think of a comic book story which made me cry, but in the late 80s, a person with physical deformities wrote a letter to The Uncanny X-Men stating that they really identified with Nightcrawler and his issues. That really tore me up.
Old 02-19-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Earth-2 Supes reuniting with Lois at the end of the original Crisis, after he was told she was erased from existence entirely... that was a bigtime touching moment.
Old 02-19-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OH FUCK! Speaking of which, I forgot about Astro City 1/2. That one goes right for the jugular...
Old 02-19-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Issue 12 of The Invisibles, "Best Man Fall", which I consider one of the best comics of all time. Issue one of The Invisibles features an action scene where the hero battles it out with a bunch of prison soldiers. "Best Man Falls", published a year later, recounts the life of one of these anonymous, "action fodder" characters, from childhood to his death.

I also cried over a story in an early issue of Drawn and Quarterly by Carol Taylor about her mother's memories of an earlier child who died. It wasn't so much the death of the child that makes the story emotional, but the ending, how Taylor's mother has finally found the strength to speak about this after decades and accept her greif. A beautiful piece of work, in both its story telling and art. Probably the finest thing Drawn and Quarterly has ever published.
Old 02-19-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

The only other one I can think of is Alan Moore's magnificent send-off for the real Superman, in Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? I don't think we've ever really seen that character again from DC and it was a love letter to the hero most responsible for keeping the industry afloat for many years. DC really should have let Moore run wild with a Superman series, he proved on Supreme he understood the character better than anyone actually working at DC.
Wasn't "whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow" just an "imaginary tale" and not part of the silverage Superman continuity?
Old 02-19-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
Wasn't "whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow" just an "imaginary tale" and not part of the silverage Superman continuity?
Aren't they all?
Old 02-19-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 614 Posts

I had never cried at a comic book until recently. I was reading The Walking Dead compendium and turned the page when
Spoiler:
Carl got shot in the head. I was so shocked and stunned I just bawled like a baby. Having a 9 year old son likely contributed a lot of the emotion I felt but I don't want to take anything away from the book.
. I have never felt such emotion after reading a comic book like I did then.
Old 02-19-14, 10:25 PM

A handful here and there but the one that really stands out is We3.
Old 02-19-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
The story takes place post COIE. It even ties up a few loose ends from the regular series. I still wonder why they did not include his robots?

The Supergirl and LOS part comes as a close second of being really tough to not stop and take a moment before reading again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.