Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doesn't anyone here watch Chopped?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Doesn't anyone here watch Chopped?

Saw some promos for another Chopped All-Stars. Looks like that dick-ish dude with the long hair is going to be on it.

Very sad about Chef Debra Whiting. I had recorded that episode but decided not to watch.
Old 08-22-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Originally Posted by drq2
I am there once a year, I have seen the show taped. I have nothing to do with the show (FN Yes, any shows NO).

I do know that they tape the opening (where they see what they will be cooking with) 3 to 4 times. At this point they know what the main item will be. 15 Mins before they start cooking and the last time the bring it up. They talk about what they are going to cook. Yes everything is hot or cold that is need. They have 60 mins to cook it all, then 45 mins to plate the extra plates, then time to be judge, etc (takes close to 3 hours total). They shoot two shows with the same chef. He is right only the main chef is there the rest is taped. Brown is funny, once someone did make him a plate (Main Chef).
Thanks to LurkerDan for the article, and to drq2 for the insight.

The article pretty much confirmed what I always suspected: that they know the secret ingredient in advance and have menus and components already picked out. True, they don't know which of the three possible choices it's going to be, but they're ready to go once they do know. While Chopped does look like they're throwing things together from the pantry, Iron Chef always has dishes that are too complex and composed to have been prepared on the fly.
Old 08-23-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Saw some promos for another Chopped All-Stars. Looks like that dick-ish dude with the long hair is going to be on it.

Very sad about Chef Debra Whiting. I had recorded that episode but decided not to watch.
LS - you should watch it. This episode was quite good, and always entertaining. Of course, it did take a sad turn at the end. It took us a minute to remember that the female chef was "chef Deborah".

Her friends apparently had a viewing party on the premiere of the episode. It shows her in a very good light.

I'm looking forward to Sunday, Chopped has become a staple on our DVR (I still can't believe I'm saying that). And, we like TED and his extraordinarily dry "wit".
Old 10-04-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright, so we found a new episode of chopped tonight on our dvr. And....

- astronaut ice cream and miso paste... IN THE ENTREE ROUND?!

sweet baby cheeses

On the other hand, I appreciate that they switched to the Capital ranges and their 18K BTU burners and kicked out those lame kitchenaid ranges that couldn't heat up water in the sahara.
Old 07-09-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

for those who do, this is funny: http://deadspin.com/5924495/our-drew...is-application
Old 12-01-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The celebrity holiday Chopped is on.

Anthony Anderson, Teri Hatcher, Antonio Sabato Jr, and Dawn Wells

I'm pretty sure
Spoiler:
Antonio Sabato Jr didn't turn a stove on.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-01-13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One post a year in this thread? Tough crowd.
Old 12-02-13, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

It's interesting watching chopped and then comparing it to Top Chef quickfire challenges. There is no doubt in mind that the quickfires are pretty lax and set up, no way could they find all their ingredients and cook it in the times they say they do when you see Chopped. Like both shows though
Old 12-04-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sabato was SUCH an idiot with his idea for his dish.
Old 12-04-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I hate these gimmick shows they're doing more often now.
Old 12-30-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
It's interesting watching chopped and then comparing it to Top Chef quickfire challenges. There is no doubt in mind that the quickfires are pretty lax and set up, no way could they find all their ingredients and cook it in the times they say they do when you see Chopped. Like both shows though
Not sure I agree. One, on TC they know the kitchen and pantry, which has to help in the speed dept. Also, when they have done special Chopped shows with very good chefs (or the occasional random Chopped with real talented folks) you see some really composed food. I don't know how either show truly operates, but I don't see Chopped as shedding light on how TC must be fake in some fashion.
Old 12-30-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Not sure I agree. One, on TC they know the kitchen and pantry, which has to help in the speed dept. Also, when they have done special Chopped shows with very good chefs (or the occasional random Chopped with real talented folks) you see some really composed food. I don't know how either show truly operates, but I don't see Chopped as shedding light on how TC must be fake in some fashion.
A lot of the ingredients they use are so specific and very perishable. Unless they make a feast for the crew or charity or something a ridiculous amount of food would go to waste. I think they do cook in the time allotted but I think there is much more pre-planning an preparation than they let on to. I could be wrong, but it is reality TV
Old 12-30-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
A lot of the ingredients they use are so specific and very perishable. Unless they make a feast for the crew or charity or something a ridiculous amount of food would go to waste. I think they do cook in the time allotted but I think there is much more pre-planning an preparation than they let on to. I could be wrong, but it is reality TV
Well, I suspect that just like on Chopped, they get some time to think. The "time starts now" is probably fake, they've had time to plan out what they want to do. But just like on chopped, I suspect the actual cooking happens in the time allotted (though they probably can have ovens and pans preheated)
Old 12-30-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Behind the scenes info about Chopped here: http://tv.yahoo.com/news/yahoo--tv-q...222307053.html

tl;dr version: contestants have absolutely no clue what is in the basket or time to prepare. the "time starts now" is absolutely true.
Old 12-31-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

whoops, I was getting the Iron Chef stuff (where they do have a clue) mixed up with Chopped; I had never read anything about Chopped, thanks for the article.
Old 12-31-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although reading that article, it doesn't say that the "time starts now" is true. It just says that they know nothing before the baskets are revealed. That article could be 100% true and the contestant could still get 10 minutes to think. Not saying that is the case, just that reality TV is hard enough to trust when they do say something, it's even harder to trust when they don't.
Old 12-31-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

There's a lot to suggest Chopped really is just a pain in the dick cooking competition. But sometimes yeah, it seems like they had time.

On the other hand, it isn't like Masterchef Junior where I'm pretty sure the kids had an army of food prep people nearby.
Old 01-06-14, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Thursday Food Network is showing an episode of Chopped Canada.
Old 01-07-14, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does Canada have its own version of Chopped?