Reload this Page >

DVDTalk's First Annual Challenge - 2014

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-01-14, 09:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

This possibly soon deleted thread is coming about thanks to Nemein's idea for it in this thread and my date-specific OCD.

How does it work? What's the plan here? I have almost no idea!

But I'm watching one or two New Year specific things today, so it made me think of his idea. I'm not trying to steal his thunder, but just wanted to make sure the thread got started on the first. I'll delete/defer if desired.

[Edit by nemein: If we get enough people before the end of Jan (say two pages of placeholders) I'll go ahead and stick the thread. Feel free to keep the thread alive though, even it if is not stuck by continue to posting/commenting. So it might be a bit of a mess w/ lists and comments intermixed, but we'll see how it goes.

"Rules" The basic challenge is to watch a movie/TV show that is somehow tied into the specific day you are watching. This could be either something in the movie/show itself; the majority of the action takes place on that particular day, or for example a historical movie/documentary where there is a significant event for that particular day (even if the movie encompasses more days). Alternatively, it could be something about the movie/show itself; watch it on the release date, the birthday of one of the major actors/actresses, etc...

The ultimate goal would be to watch something a day, to help w/ this (for those that do it) you are highly encouraged to blend this in w/ the other monthly challenges. Probably a more realistic goal would be to pick a day within each week of the year (Sun to Sat or Mon to Sun... however you count your weeks) for a total of 52 movies/shows.

Record what you watched, and the date/reason it was picked.

Here's some resources that may help:
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history
http://www.imdb.com/date/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._anniversaries

There are NO prizes for this challenge.

End edit]

Last edited by nemein; 01-03-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: DVDTalk's First Annual Challenge - 2014

FIST O' DOOM'S YEAR-LONG CHALLENGE

JANUARY

1. Wings "There Once Was a Girl from Nantucket" (1914: The world's first airline, St. Petersburg Tampa Airboat Line, starts operation in St. Petersburg, Florida)
2. Designing Women "A Big Affair" (1788: Georgia was admitted to the Union as the 4th state)
3. Brooklyn Nine-Nine "Christmas" (1870: Construction of the Brooklyn Bridge began)
4. ALF "Take a Look At Me Now" (1904: In Gonzales v. Williams, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that citizens of Puerto Rico are not aliens and can enter the U.S. freely.)
5. Commander in Chief "Pilot" (1925: Nellie Tayloe Ross became the first woman governor of a state - Wyoming.)
6. Breaking Bad "Crawl Space" (1912: New Mexico became the 47th state in the United States.)
7. Gracie wants the House Painted (1926: George Burns and Gracie Allen were married.)
8. Are You Being Served? "It Pays to Advertise" (1955: WUNC TV channel 4 in Chapel Hill, NC (PBS) begins broadcasting.)
9. Becker "My Dinner With Becker" (1929: The Seeing Eye was incorporated in Nashville, TN. The company's purpose was to train dogs to guide the blind.)
10. WKRP in Cincinnati "Turkeys Away"(1949: Vinyl records were introduced by RCA (45 rpm) and Columbia (33.3 rpm).)
11. Mary Tyler Moore Show "Chuckles Bites the Dust" (1925: Grant Tinker is born.)
12. The Twilight Zone "Where Is Everybody?" (1955: Rod Serling’s career began with the TV production of "Patterns.")
13. Monty Python "Travel Agent Sketch" (1942: Carol Cleveland is born.)
14. Watched the Today Show during my morning routine (1952: NBC's long-running morning news program Today debuts, with host Dave Garroway.)
15. 1982 Dave Letterman interview w/Captain Beefheart (1941: Captain Beefheart is born.)

Last edited by Fist of Doom; 01-16-14 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 06:16 AM

NEMEIN's LIST

Week 1 (1-4 Jan): A couple of episodes of Northern Exposure in honor of Alaska being admitted as a state on 3 Jan 1959
Week 2 (5-11 Jan): Back to the Future... John DeLorean's Bday 6 Jan '25
Week 2 (12-18 Jan): Popeye... 17 Jan 1929 debut of the Popeye comic strip

Last edited by nemein; 01-16-14 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

I have no idea if I can keep up with this, but I'll see what happens.

As it stands, I doubt I'll do something every day. Especially as the year goes on and there are times I'll be away from home.

January
Spoiler:

1st - Rudolph's Shiny New Year
2nd - Alf: Season 2 - Somewhere Over the Rerun: The Ballad of Gilligan's Island - Alan Hale (the Skipper) passed away on this date in 1990
3rd - Various Peanuts shorts on YouTube - On this date in 2000, the last original Peanuts comic strip was published
4th - NewsRadio: Season 4 - Jumper - Starring Dave Foley who was born on this date in 1963
5th - Monk: Season 1 - Mr. Monk and the Psychic - Set in San Francisco, the opening credits feature the Golden Gate Bridge. Construction of the bridge began on this date in 1933.
6th - The Dick Van Dyke Show: Season 1 - To Tell or Not to Tell - Well known Executive Producer Danny Thomas was born on this date in 1912
7th - Stolen - Starring Nicolas Cage, born on this date in 1964
8th - Uncle Buck - This was actress Gaby Hoffman's first film. She was born on this date in 1982
9th - Cheers: Season 10 - No Rest for the Woody - This episode originally aired on this date in 1992
10th - The Rockford Files: Season 1 - Backlash of the Hunter, part 1 - While this was the very first episode of this show, the last episode aired on NBC on this date in 1980
11th - TWA: Flight 800 - On this date in 2001, American Airlines agreed to purchase most of TWA, marking the end of the troubled airline.
12th - 4 episodes of Cheers: Season 10 - Starring Kirstie Alley, born on this date in 1951
13th - 2 episodes of Night Court: Season 2 - Starring Richard Moll, born on this date in 1943
14th - Identity Thief - Starring Jason Bateman, born on this date in 1969
15th - Happy Days: Season 4 - The Muckrakers - Happy Days premiered on this date in 1974
16th - Cheers: Season 10 - My Son, the Father - This episode originally aired on this date in 1992
17th - Youtube short of Popeye the Sailor: She-Sick Sailor - Popeye first appeared in a comic strip on this date in 1929.
18th - This is 40 - Starring Jason Segel, born on this date in 1980.
19th - The Little Rascals - Zachary Mabry's role as "Porky" is his lone film credit. He was born on this date in 1990.
20th - Multiple episodes of The Office: Season 9 - Starring Rainn Wilson, born on this date in 1966
21st - Red Dragon - Actor Ken Leung played a key role. He was born on this date in 1970
22nd - Man of Steel - Starring Diane Lane, born on this date in 1965
23rd - A Mighty Heart - Based on the true story of Daniel Pearl, the journalist who was kidnapped in Pakistan on this date in 2002.
24th - 42 - On this date in 1950, Jackie Robinson signed the richest contract in Dodgers history. Also on this date in 1962, he was the first black player elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
25th - Parental Guidance - With an appearance by actress Christine Lakin, born on this date in 1979.
26th - Men of Honor - Directed by George Tillman, Jr., born on this date in 1969
27th - Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - Starring Mimi Rogers, born on this date in 1956.
28th - Challenger - The space shuttle tragedy occurred on this date in 1986.
29th - Twilight - Starring Paul Newman, who married Joanne Woodward on this date in 1958. They were married 50 years until his death in 2008.
30th - The Package - Starring Gene Hackman, born on this date in 1930.
31st - Point Break - Starring Keanu Reeves, who received a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame on this date in 2005.

February
Spoiler:

1st - 30 for 30: The Price of Gold - ESPN documentary about the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding controversy. It was on this date in 1994, that Harding's ex-husband entered a guilty plea for his role in the attack on Kerrigan.
2nd - How the Grinch Stole Christmas! - The 1966 short was narrated by the legendary Boris Karloff, who passed away on this date in 1969.
3rd - Zero Dark Thirty - With an appearance by actor Fredric Lehne, born on this date in 1959.
4th - Bloomberg Game Changers: Mark Zuckerberg - Documentary about Facebook and it's founder, who established it on this date in 2004.
5th - Pete's Dragon - Starring Red Buttons, born on this date in 1919.
6th - The Best of Ronald Reagan - 10 minute YouTube clip (hilarious by the way) of the former President, born on this date in 1911.
7th - YouTube clip of Chris Rock on SNL - Rock was born on this date in 1965.
8th - The Poseidon Adventure - Music by John Williams, born on this date in 1932.
9th - The Sound of Music - Starring Peggy Wood, born on this date in 1892.
10th - Argo - With an appearance by Scott Elrod, born on this date in 1975.
11th - Friends: The One with the Blackout - Starring Jennifer Aniston, born on this date in 1969.
12th-13th - Nothing
14th - Puss in Boots - Featuring the voice talents of Salma Hayek, who was married on this date in 2009.
15th - YouTube clip of Chris Farley's Top Ten Moments - Farley was born on this date in 1964.
16th - Leave it to Beaver: Weekend Invitation - Starring Hugh Beaumont, born on this date in 1909.
17th - The Help - Including actress Ahna O'Reilly, born on this date in 1985.
18th - Various YouTube clips of Wheel of Fortune - Vanna White was born on this date in 1957
19th - The Pursuit of Happyness - Includes a song written and performed by Seal, who was born on this date in 1963.
20th - A few YouTube Siskel & Ebert Movie Reviews - Gene Siskel died on this date in 1999.
21th - Cheers: The Little Match Girl - Starring Kelsey Grammer, born on this date in 1955.
22nd-25th - Nothing
26th - Lucy - Television movie about Lucille Ball and the show I Love Lucy. William Frawley (Fred Mertz on the show) was born on this date in 1887.
27th - The Kids are All Right - Nominated for several Oscars, which were awarded on this date in 2011.
28th - Seinfeld: The Bizarro Jerry - Seinfeld won the American Comedy Award on this date in 1993.

March
1st - Nothing
2nd - Multiple episodes of I Love Lucy - Starring Desi Arnaz, born on this date in 1917.
3rd - Nothing
4th - The pilot episode of The Middle - Starring Patricia Heaton, born on this date in 1958.
5th - A couple of episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show - Starring Mary Tyler Moore, who won a People's Choice Award on this date in 1977.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 03-05-14 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Why don't we simply post what we wish we could watch everyday if we had the time, energy and magical access to every film that was ever made?
Like this:

Ash Ketchum's Fantasy Challenge 2014

January 1, 2014

GREED (1924/U.S., 8 hours, b&w, drama, MGM) 35mm nitrate film. Dir.: Erich von Stroheim. Stars: Zasu Pitts, Gibson Gowland. Restored, complete version of von Stroheim's famous lost film.
Old 01-02-14, 08:32 PM

^ I like that idea Ash.

But for now I'm going to try to do an item a day somewhat related to the date, or at least monthly challenge compliant.

The first was easy with NewYears stuff, and tonight I'm watching a documentary on Isaac Asimov, whose birthday is today.

January 1 - Strange Days (turn of millennium)
January 1 - Merry Pooh Year (holiday)
January 1 - Happy New Year, Charlie Brown (holiday)
January 1 - Vikings vs Cardinals 1999
January 2 - Prophets of Science Fiction: Isaac Asimov (his birthday)
January 3 - Kraft Suspense Theater: The Threatening Eye, S1E18 (Dabney Coleman's birthday)
January 3 - An Awfully Big Adventure (JRR Tolkein's birthday)
January 4 - Dave Foley comedy special (his birthday)
January 5 - Suspense, S3E12, The Brush Off (George Reeves' birthday, centennial)
January 6 - The Passion of Joan of Arc (her birthday)
January 7 - The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, S1E1, 1950 - This was perhaps my first time viewing an entire episode. I wish I hadn't had waited so long, as it was hilarious. Today is their wedding anniversary.
January 8 - Monty Python's Graham Chapman: Looks Like a Brown Trouser Job (his birthday)
January 8 - Elvis on Tour (his birthday)
January 8 - Soupy Sales show
January 9 - Gilligan's Island, S1E1 (his birthday)
January 9 - Vikings vs 49ers 1988
January 9 - Vikings vs Cowboys 1999
January 10 - Newhart, Larry's birthday
January 11 - How I Met Your Mother, S5E13, Jenkins (Amanda Peet's birthday)
January 11 - Star Trek, pilot, The Cage (Felix Silla's birthday)
January 12 - Cheers, S6E1, Home is the Sailor (Kirstie Alley's first episode and birthday)
January 13 - Suite Life of Zach & Cody, S2E25, Loosely Ballroom (Rip Taylor's birthday)
January 14 - Arrested Development, Carl Weathers and Jason Bateman birthdays
January 15 - Super Bowl 1 highlight show (anniversary)
January 16 - The Muppet Show, Ethel Merman birthday
January 17 - Hot in Cleveland, pilot, Betty White birthday
January 18 - The Muppet Show, Danny Kaye (his birthday)
January 19 - I Love Lucy, S2E16, Lucy Goes to the Hospital - anniversary of airing
January 20 - Star Trek, The Man Trap, Deforest Kelly's birthday
January 21 - Sabrina the Teenage Witch pilot, Robbie Benson birthday
January 22 - The Incredible Hulk, S1E1, Bill Bixby's birthday
January 23 - NYPD Blue, Gail O'Grady birthday
January 24 - Bonanza, Pernell Roberts deathday
January 25 - 24, s1e1, Mia Kirschner birthday
January 26 - The Larry Sanders Show, Ellen Degeneres episode for her birthday
January 27 - Auschwitz S1E1 (Holocaust Remembrance Day), Howard McNear
January 28 - Modern Family, Ariel Winter birthday
January 29 - Emily's Reasons Why Not, Heather Graham's birthday
January 30 - Festival of Family Classics: A Christmas Tree - Arthur Rankin passed away
January 31 - Arrested Development episodes, Portia de Rossi and Jessica Walter birthdays
February 1 - Clark Gable's birthday - Teacher's Pet
February 2 - Shakira's birthday
February 3 - The Four Chaplains: Sacrifice at Sea
February 4 - Soupy Sales Show episode, Alice Cooper birthday
February 5 - Frasier episode, Laura Linney
February 6 - A Firing Line, Ronald Reagan birthday
February 7 - Superman:TAS, Miguel Ferrer
February 8 - Batman: TAS, Bruce Timm
February 9 - Ed Sullivan Beatles appearances, anniversary
February 10 - Shirley Temple passed away today; War Babies, documentary on her career
February 10 - Unfabulous S1E1, Emma Roberts
February 11 - Eva Gabor, Green Acres
February 12 - Arrested Development episodes, John Michael Higgins birthday
February 13 - Ducktales
February 14 - Twilight Zone, A Hundred Yards Over the Rim - Edward Platt birthday
February 15 - Star Trek, What Are Little Girls Made Of? - Sherry Jackson birthday
Cinderella
February 16 - The Wonder Years, S1E1, Donnie Jeffcoat birthday
February 17 - Psych episode Psy vs. Psy, Lou Diamond Phillips
February 18 - Pulp Fiction, John Travolta's birthday
February 19 - The Usual Suspects, Benicio Del Toro's birthday
February 20 - Dennis the Menace S4 episode, Gale Gordon's birthday
February 21 - Hot in Cleveland, S2E17, The Emmy Show, Jennifer Love Hewitt birthday
February 22 - Tristana, Luis Buñuel
February 23 - Star Trek episodes, Majel Barrett birthday
February 24 - Harold Ramis
February 25 - Man With the Golden Arm, Darren McGavin passiversary
February 26 - Johnny Cash Biography, birthday
February 27 - A Place in the Sun - Elizabeth Taylor's birthday
February 28 - Gavin MacLeod birthday, Dick Van Dyke Show S1E12
March 1 - Skyfall, Javier Bardem, Ron Howard
March 2 - The Adventures of Tintin - Daniel Craig
March 3 - Star Trek episodes, James Doohan
March 4 - Danny Phantom S1E1, Mystery Meat, Patricia Heaton
March 5 - Twilight Zone episode, Dean Stockwell
March 6 - Rob Reiner birthday, Larry Sanders episode, Kirby Puckett passiversary
March 7 - Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad episodes
March 8 - Devon Werkheiser, Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide S1E1
March 9 - Raul Julia, The Monkey People
March 10 - Uranus rings discovered, Voyage to the Seventh Planet
March 11 - Shemp Howard short
March 12 - Liza Minella, Arrested Development
March 13 - Dana Delaney, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
March 14 - Billy Crystal, Running Scared
March 14 - Kirby Puckett
March 15 - Renny Harlin, Deep Blue Sea
March 16 - Gore Verbinski, Pirates of the Caribbean
March 17 - Star Trek, Shore Leave, Finnegan!
March 17 - Parks and Recreation, Rob Lowe
March 18 - Peter Graves, Death in Small Doses
March 19 - Bruce Willis, Bandits
March 20 - Michael Rapaport, NYPD Blue, Brown Appetit
March 21 - Gary Oldham, Hannibal
March 22 - William Shatner, Arena
March 23 - Phil Keaggy concert DVD
March 24 - Alyson Hannigan, How I Met Your Mother episodes
March 25 - $ellibrity, Elton John, Sarah Jessica Parker
March 26 - Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek
March 27 - Quentin Tarantino, Reservoir Dogs
March 28 - Vince Vaughn, Dinner for Five episode
March 29 - Bosch, Scott Wilson
March 30 - Frasier, Robbie Coltrane
March 31 - Rhea Pearlman, Cheers
April 1 - Centurion, JJ Feild
April 2 - Avengers, Clark Gregg
April 3 - Matthew Goode, Marlon Brando, Adam Scott Parks and Recreation, Alec Baldwin
April 4 - Heath Ledger, James Roday Paley Fest Talk, Hugo Weaving, David Cross, Robert Downey Jr
April 5 - Hayley Atwell, Mitch Pileggi, Gregory Peck, Roger Corman Attack of the Crab Monsters
April 6 - Bert Blyleven, Paul Rudd Parks and Recreation
April 7 - Russell Crowe, Jackie Chan, James Garner western
April 8 - Edward Mulhare MacGyver
April 9 - Suez Canal doc, Alaska doc
April 10 - Max Von Sydow, East of the Sun West of the Moon; Chuck Connors
April 11 - Jeremiah S1E1, Tricia Helfer
April 12 - Brooklyn Decker, The League S4E11, 12-12-12
April 13 - Superman episodes, Ron Perlman
April 14 - Abraham Lincoln shot, documentary
April 15 - The League episode, Seth Rogen
April 16 - The Kid, Charlie Chaplin
April 17 - Daffy Duck's first appearance, Porky's Duck Hunt
April 18 - Bob Hastings, Superman episode
April 19 - Elinor Donahue, Star Trek episode Metamorphosis
April 20 - Easter specials; Star Trek episode, George Takei
April 21 - Lust for Life, Iggy Pop
April 22 - Easy Rider, Jack Nicholson
April 23 - Shirley Temple
April 24 - Barbara Streisand videos
April 25 - My Name is Earl S1E1, Jason Lee
April 26 - Hot in Cleveland, S4E14, Carol Burnett
April 27 - Twilight Zone, S3E5, Jack Klugman
April 28 - Thinner, Kari Wührer
April 29 - The Captain's Close-Up: Kate Mulgrew
April 30 - Melancholia, Kirsten Dunst & Lars Von Trier
May 1 - The First of May (movie title); Science and Prayer (National Day of Prayer)
May 2 - The Hollywood Palace: Bing Crosby Christmas Show
May 3 - Comic Book: The Movie (Free Comic Book Day)
May 4 - Star Wars: Clone Wars S1E1
May 5 - A Fish Called Wanda (Michael Palin)
May 6 - Orsen Welles Lucy episode
May 7 - Gary Cooper documentary, Darren McGavin
May 8 - Don Rickles sitcom episodes, Dick Van Dyke Show & Hot in Cleveland
May 9 - Parenthood episode, John Corbett
May 10 - Fred Astaire, Second Chorus
May 11 - Minnesota statehood day, Phil Silvers in Slowest Gun in the West
May 12 - Katharine Hepburn
May 13 - Stephen Colbert in his show
May 14 - Tim Roth, George Lucas, Amber Tamblyn
May 15 - Rob Bowman X-Files episode Trevor
May 16 - Jack Morris, Janet Jackson videos
May 17 - Bob Saget show, Trent Reznor video
May 18 - Tina Fey in 30 Rock episodes
May 19 - Malcolm X film Death of a Prophet
May 20 - Cher video, James Stewart interview
May 21 - Kent Hrbek, Raymond Burr in Godzilla
May 22 - Paul Winfield, Richard Benjamin, last Carson show
May 23 - H. Jon Benjamin in Home Movies episodes
May 24 - Bob Dylan videos
May 25 - Frank Oz
May 26 - John Wayne
May 27 - Vincent Price and Christopher Lee in House of the Long Shadows
May 28 - Sondra Locke in The Shadow of Chikara
May 29 - Bob Hope in Here Come the Girls
May 30 - Mel Blanc documentary
May 31 - Don Ameche in Coming to America
June 1 - Amy Schumer comedy show, Andy Griffith show
June 2 - Wayne Brady hosting Chappelle's Show
June 3 - Ellen Corby, The Noose Hangs High
June 4 - Dennis Weaver in Twilight Zone
June 5 - Jeff Garlin in Arrested Development episodes
June 6 - D-Day documentary
June 7 - Michael Cera on Arrested Development
June 8 - Kanye West on Chappelle's Show; Joan Rivers on Hot in Cleveland
June 9 - Johnny Depp, Natalie Portman, Michael J. Fox clips
June 10 - Judy Garland in Till the Clouds Roll By
June 11 - Hugh Laurie, Gene Wilder, Shia LaBeouf clips
June 12 - Jim Nabors
June 13 - Paul Lynde episode
June 14 - Taylor Howard, Monk ep
June 15 - Neil Patrick Harris, HIMYM ep
June 16 - Jack Albertson episode
June 17 - Thomas Hayden Church episode
June 18 - Paul McCartney videos
June 19 - Phylicia Rashad ep
June 20 - John Goodman ep
June 21 - Chris Pratt ep
June 22 - Ralph Waite ep
June 23 - Selma Blair ep
June 24 - Mindy Kaling ep
June 25 - Ricky Gervais ep
June 26 - Nick Offerman and Aubrey Plaza ep
June 27 -
June 28 -
June 29 -
June 30 -
July 1 -
July 2 -
July 3 -
July 4 -
July 5 -
July 6 -
July 7 - Dan Gladden
July 8 - Jeffrey Tambor, Arrested Developement
July 9 - Jimmy Smits, NYPD Blue
July 10 - Sophia Vergara, Modern Family
July 11 - Sela Ward
July 12 - Patrick Stewart, Extras
July 13 - Leo Howard, Kickin' It
July 14 -
July 15 -
July 16 -
July 17 -
July 18 -
July 19 -
July 20 -
July 21 - Don Knotts
July 22 -
July 23 -
July 24 -
July 25 -
July 26 -
July 27 -
July 28 -
July 29 -
July 30 -
July 31 -
August 1 -
August 7 - David Duchovny
August 9 - Gillian Anderson
August 15 - Tom Kelly
August 19 - Gary Gaetti
September 5 - Bob Newhart clips
September 22 - Letter from an Unknown Woman by John Houseman
September 23 - John Woo The Hostage
October 8 - Bella Thorne in Little Monk, RL Stine Goosebumps episode
October 9
October 17 - World Series 1987, g1
October 18 - World Series 1987, g2
October 19 - World Series 1991, g1
October 20 - World Series 1987, g3
October 20 - World Series 1991, g2
October 21 - World Series 1987, g4
October 22 - World Series 1987, g5
October 22 - World Series 1991, g3
October 23 - World Series 1991, g4
October 24 - World Series 1987, g6
October 24 - World Series 1991, g5
October 25 - World Series 1987, g7
October 26 - World Series 1991, g6
October 27 - World Series 1991, g7
November 1 - Marcia Wallace, Simpsons episodes
November 2 - Chris Williams Hot in Cleveland
November 3 - Aneta Corsaut, Roseanne Barr, Halloween Roseanne episode
November 4 - Vikings vs Chargers 2007, Doris Roberts Hot in Cleveland
November 5 - The Cosby Show, It's a Boy, Seth Gilliam
November 6 - trace Beaulieu
7 - Christopher Knight
8 - Esther Rolle
9 - Lori Lively, Free Enterprise
10 - Tracy Morgan
11 - Jonathan Winters
12 - Megan Mullany
13 - Neil Flynn, Scrubs episode
14 - Patrick Walburton
15 - Ed Asner
16 - Daws Butler
17 - Danny Devito
18 - Mickey Mouse
19 - Tom Virtue, Arrested Development
20 - Richard Dawson, DvD episode
21 - Marlo Thomas, That Girl S1E1
22 - Terry Gilliam, Monty Python clips and episode
23 - Boris Karloff, How the Grinch Stole Christmas x2
24 - Stephen Merchant, Office Christmas episodes
25 - Christina Applegate, Jesse episode The Christmas Party
26 - Charles Schulz, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving; Free Bird
27 - thanksgiving episodes
28 - Black Friday, South Park
29 - Gary Shandling Christmas episodes
30 - Ben Stiller, Merry Madagascar
December 01 - Nestor Carbonelle, The Tick
December 02 - Bill Erwin ep
December 03 - Andy Williams Christmas Show
December 04 - Jeff Bridges Christmas SNL
December 05 - Walt Disney short, Night Before Christmas
December 06 - Agnes Morehead, Bewitched Christmas episode
December 07 - Ted Knight ep
December 08 - Flip Wilson Christmas clips
December 0 - Donny Osmond Christmas 1976
December 0 -
December 14 - Frances Bavier
December 17 - George Lindsey
December 28 - Vikings vs Giants 2008

Final edit I did it, 365 for 365; but am much too lazy to search through my various digital viewing histories and IMDB birthdays to complete the list. Never again. Doing this was the worst idea ever.

Last edited by Trevor; 01-03-15 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 08:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

so 'movie' only, no tv
Old 01-03-14, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
so 'movie' only, no tv
Personally, given the low number of participants in this, and the leniency we've been migrating to in all the Challenges, I'd vote for movies and TV.

Last edited by Trevor; 01-03-14 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-03-14, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
so 'movie' only, no tv
I don't see why not. Although it does bring up an interesting idea for another challenge. A complete series in order. Watch an episode a night, come back and discuss....
Old 01-03-14, 11:02 AM

I'm definitely going to be about 90% TV.
Old 01-03-14, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
I don't see why not. Although it does bring up an interesting idea for another challenge. A complete series in order. Watch an episode a night, come back and discuss....
We've had a few of those in the past. One with Cheers is happening right now iirc.
Old 01-03-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I'd be for it if we could do TV, like a whole series and if we finish, move on to another.
Old 01-03-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

TV is also more realistic as far as getting in the volume of watches.

Why would this thread be deleted? Just because it might not get enough participants?
Old 01-03-14, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
TV is also more realistic as far as getting in the volume of watches.

Why would this thread be deleted? Just because it might not get enough participants?
I just meant I'd delete it if no one joined me or if Nemein wanted to start the thread.

I'm kind of excited about it now, but I always am about 'resolutions and checklists' this time of year.

Watching something everyday that ties in to that specific date will be a nice challenge with a lot of variety. And watching something everyday will help me feel justified in having a DVD collection and cable/Netflix subscriptions.
Old 01-03-14, 01:53 PM

Added a little more clarification to the first post (so shows are "allowed"). I also included a couple of "this day in...." links that may help people get ideas.
Old 01-03-14, 02:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

January 3 (1892) J.R.R. Tolkien's birth:

- The Hobbit / 1977 / DVD

January 4 (1965) death of T.S. Eliot

- Cats - The Musical / 1998 / DVD

January 6 (1912) birth of actor Danny Thomas

- That Girl [episode: My Sister's Keeper] / 1969 / DVD

January 7 (1610) Galileo Galilei sighted four of Jupiter's moons. He named them Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.

- The Universe [Jupiter: The Giant Planet] / Blu-ray

January 9 (1967) Album: 'The More of the Monkees' released

- Head / Blu-ray

January 10 (1927) Berlin premier of 'Metropolis'

- Die Reise nach Metropolis (Journey to Metropolis) / 2010 / Blu-ray

January 11 (1982) Principal Photography begins for 'Return of the Jedi' with the Sandstorm sequence

- Return of the Jedi [Supplements] / Blu-ray
-----Overviews
-----Deleted/Extended scenes
-----Harrison Ford Interview

January 13 (1998) - One of the 110 missing episodes of the British TV show "Doctor Who" was found in New Zealand.

- Doctor Who: The Invasion / DVD
-----Episode 1 [reconstructed]
-----Episode 2
-----Episode 3
-----Episode 4 [reconstructed]

January 14 (1972) - 14 – (1972) - NBC-TV debuted "Sanford & Son."
- Sanford & Son [episode: 'This Little TV Went To Market']

January 15 (1943) - The Pentagon was dedicated as the world's largest office building just outside Washington, DC, in Arlington, VA. The structure covers 34 acres of land and has 17 miles of corridors.
- Operation Hollywood: How The Pentagon Shapes And Censors the Movies (2004) 53min version

January 16 (1964) - "Hello Dolly!" opened at the St. James Theatre in New York City.
- Carol Channing sings title song with Original Broadway Cast (1965 filmed recording) (YouTube)
- 1969 Film Featurette / blu-ray
- Directing Dolly: Gene Kelly Remembered / bluray

January 18 (1987) - For the first time in history the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) was seen by over 100 million viewers. The audience was measured during the week of January 12-18.
- Sesame Street Episode 1 [Opening,Sally Introduction (with Big Bird),Bert and Ernie] / 5min extract (YouTube)

January 19 (1967) - Lesly Gore appeared on ABC-TV's "Batman" as Catwoman's sidekick, Pussycat.
- Batman [That Darn Catwoman/Scat! Darn Catwoman]

June

June 6, 1944: The World War II D-Day invasion of Normandy
- The Longest Day (blu-ray)

June 8. 1983: 'Trading Places', 'Ghostbusters', 'Gremlins' US opening
- Trailers for each movie.

October

October 1, 1974: 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' is released in the theaters.
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre (blu-ray)

~~

Last edited by Giles; 10-02-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

01/01: Z Day Zorro: S01E01 Dead Men Tell No Tales [1990]
01/02: National Science Fiction Day Prophets of Science Fiction: S01E05 Isaac Asimov
01/03: JRR Tolkien Day The Hobbit [1977]
01/04: Trivia Day Cheers: S08E14 What is Cliff Clavin?
01/05: George Reeves birthday Adventures of Superman: S01E01/02 Superman on Earth / The Haunted Lighthouse
01/06: Bean Day and Rowan Atkinson's birthday Bean
01/07: Alan Napier's birthday Batman [1966]
01/08: Graham Chapman's birthday Monty Python and the Holy Grail
01/09: Bob Denver's birthday Gilligan's Island: S01E00/01: Marooned / Two on a Raft and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis: S01E01: Caper at the Bijou
01/10: Walter Hill's birthday Tales from the Crypt: The Man Who Was Death / Cutting Cards / Deadline
01/11: Rod Taylor's birthday The Twilight Zone: And When the Sky Was Opened
01/12: John Lasseter's birthday Mater's Tall Tales
01/13: Carol Cleveland's birthday And Now for Something Completely Different lots of birthdays today
01/14: Jason Bateman and Carl Weathers' birthdays Arrested Development: Public Relations; Marta Complex; Motherboy XXX; The B Team
01/15: Martin Luther King's birthday The March
01/16: 2014 Academy Award Nominations announced Room on the Broom
01/17: Russell Johnson died yesterday Gilligan's Island: Home Sweet Hut technically the 16th, but i didn't read the news until today
01/18: Winnie-the-Pooh Day The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh S01E01: Pooh Oughta Be in Pictures
01/19: Edgar Allan Poe Day The Simpsons S02E03: Treehouse of Horror - The Raven
01/20: DeForest Kelley's birthday Star Trek S01E02: Charlie X
01/21: J. Carrol Naish's birthday Get Smart S04E04: The Secret of Sam Vittorio
01/22: Tamra Davis' birthday My Name is Earl S01E04: Faked My Own Death
01/23: Richard Dean Anderson's birthday Stargate SG1: S01E02: The Enemy Within
01/24: Phil LaMarr's birthday Futurama S2E14: How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back
01/25: Tobe Hooper Day Amazing Stories: Miss Stardust
01/26: Australia Day Danger 5 S01E01: I Danced for Hitler
01/27: Lewis Carroll Day Alice Through the Looking Glass
01/28: Ariel Winter's birthday Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess
01/29: Tom Selleck's birthday Jesse Stone: Benefit of the Doubt
01/30: Adolf Hitler becomes Chancellor of Germany Death Camp Treblinka: Survivor Stories
01/31: Portia de Rossi's birthday Arrested Development S04E08

02/01: Black History Month starts No Way Out (1950)
This is also the start of LGBT History Month and Maximilian Schell died, both of which i'll try to do later in the month.
02/02: Super Bowl Sunday How to Play Football
Also Philip Seymour Hoffman died today

Last edited by konekonoir; 02-02-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 07:17 PM

One thing that might be useful is if we try to tell each other ahead of time what we're watching, so as to give each other good ideas.

I'm finishing of The Passion of Joan of Arc right now, as today is her traditional birthday. It's also my daughter's birthday, perhaps some home videos are in the queue.
Old 01-07-14, 12:36 PM

Today is the wedding anniversary of Burns and Allen.
Old 01-07-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Today is the wedding anniversary of Burns and Allen.
That could be a good reason to finally open my Warner Archive copy of A Damsel in Distress.
Old 01-07-14, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
That could be a good reason to finally open my Warner Archive copy of A Damsel in Distress.
True, but it's also the TV Challenge, so I recommend:

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, S1E1, 1950 - Amazon Instant Prime Free Streaming - This was perhaps my first time viewing an entire episode. I wish I hadn't had waited so long, as it was hilarious.
Old 01-08-14, 09:41 AM

Graham Chapman's birthday today makes it a Monty Python day for me.
Old 01-08-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Graham Chapman's birthday today makes it a Monty Python day for me.
I think Elvis trumps Monty Python. (Elvis would have been 79 today.)
Old 01-08-14, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I think Elvis trumps Monty Python. (Elvis would have been 79 today.)
Meh, I'm not a huge Elvis fan but perhaps I'll watch one of his films TV appearances tonight.
Old 01-08-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

True, but it's also the TV Challenge, so I recommend:

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, S1E1, 1950 - Amazon Instant Prime Free Streaming - This was perhaps my first time viewing an entire episode. I wish I hadn't had waited so long, as it was hilarious.
I like the way you think. I watched the first episode and it was pretty funny.

Annual Challenge viewing #1: Check!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.