Katie show cancelled...why?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-23-13, 02:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1553298

so i was little bummed that the Katie Couric show was cancelled last week. it was a decent show and perfect segue to 4 o'clock news.

so i guess Steve Harvey is doing decidedly better, but really, by that much?

i know different demographics, but with such little competition, could it really cost that much to produce and doesn't it make it back in viewship and sponsorship?
Old 12-23-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: Katie show cancelled...why?

She recently announced some deal with do something with Yahoo. I assumed the two were related.
Old 12-23-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine that Couric demands a much higher paycheck than Harvey.
Old 12-23-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

She's the lead in for a TV show I produce. The ratings are pretty rough and she's extremely expensive.
Old 12-23-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Budget killed it. If you read the story, Couric got paid $20M for the 2 seasons it was on. Plus the show's budget was ridiculous. $50M for season 1 and $35M for season 2. Probably wasn't making enough advertising revenue to recoup production costs.
Old 12-23-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

It's a Hitlery Mystery...
Old 12-23-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe it's time for the OP to get a job.
Old 12-23-13, 09:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Never heard of this show. That's probably why.
Old 12-23-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

I watched a quick segment with a reunion of the Murphy Brown cast, it was terrible. They couldn't find the "Murphy Brown" show clips that she was talking to the cast about and she sounded like Chris Farley on SNL when he was interviewing celebrities. Katie's interview consisted of "do you remember that one episode...that was hilarious."
Old 12-24-13, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy

so i was little bummed that the Katie Couric show was cancelled last week. it was a decent show and perfect segue to 4 o'clock news.
It most definitely was not. The ABC O&Os and most affiliates were forced to run her before their afternoon News, and took a major hit. Ratings are down and Couric is to blame. The show can't go away fast enough for them. What an expensive disaster.
Old 12-24-13, 09:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Maybe it's time for the OP to get a job.
um...ok...
Old 12-24-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It most definitely was not. The ABC O&Os and most affiliates were forced to run her before their afternoon News, and took a major hit. Ratings are down and Couric is to blame. The show can't go away fast enough for them. What an expensive disaster.
This article says that the ratings were actually the highest among new syndicated shows, but it was just too expensive to continue:
http://www.avclub.com/article/katie-...yndicat-106644
ABC has announced its syndicated talk show Katie will be cancelled once host Katie Couric's contract expires in June of next year. Despite being the top new show in syndication (narrowly edging out Steve Harvey's mustache), Couric couldn't compete with established names like Ellen and Dr. Phil, and her high salary made the show a tough sell.

Couric has had surprisingly rocky career path. As co-host of The Today Show, she was immensely popular, in a role to which she was extremely well-suited. But she managed to use that popularity to succeed downward, taking over the CBS Evening News at the precise moment when people stopped caring about network newscasts. She stepped down in 2011, then launched her eponymous talk show shortly thereafter. But as producers came and went, and the show tried to balance serious news with typical daytime TV fare, Katie's ratings failed to take off.

To make ABC's vote of no confidence worse, the network has no replacement in mind for Katie. If no ideas surface between now and June, it might just save some money by seeing how many people will tune in to that yule log in the offseason.
And from the original article:
Ratings-wise, “Katie” did okay — drawing an average of 2.17 million viewers as of last month, slightly below the average of 2.26 million it attracted during its first season in 2012.

Show insiders said that the problem with the show was not its ratings, but more the economics of the deals that got “Katie” on the air in the first place.
According to reports, “Katie” cost an eye-popping $50 million to produce when it launched in 2012, and while the budget fell to $35 million for season two, it still costs more to make than an average $20 million talk show.

In fact, Couric was paid $20 million herself as part of the show's current two-year deal.
Old 12-24-13, 08:11 PM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

The truth is Katie Couric knew her high salary demands would doom the show but went for the payday anyway.

No one could be that self-deluded to think that their talk show would find such blockbuster ratings to justify the huge budget that was dominated by her own salary.

Had she agreed to even half the salary she would probably still be on the air, especially given the fact that she was head and shoulders a better show than Steve Harvey, Queen Latifah or Wendy Williams. But that bar is set so low she couldnt possibly do worse.

She was mediocre as a news reader on CBS and should have bowed out gracefully after the first year when it was clear her approach didnt work but her ego kept her there for the full five year contract. I can't remember any hard hitting journalism she ever broke over the course of her career. She excelled mainly at the 'GOTCHA' type interviews like the one she did with Sarah Palin.

You can't do that with celebrities who generally hate having to do talk shows and tv interviews to sell and want happy stress-free environments with softball questions asked that they already are prepared for which is why Ellen DeGeneres does so well kissing ass on her show every day. She is one of them and knows what they want. Katie is still on the other side of the velvet rope and was a lousy interviewer when it came to time to deliver a puff piece.

I can't imagine what she expects to bring to this Yahoo project but Im sure she only signed on knowing that there would still be a big payday for herself when it eventually fails.

I actually used to like Katie Couric back when she had a camera up her ass teaching the public about colon cancer but the last 10 years of her career have shown her to be driven purely by ego and money.
Old 12-26-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Overall the ratings may have been okay but I know they've been really bad in some individual markets. And the tone of the show was all over the place. One day they were doing a silly and fluffy show, the next day a deadly serious show. That just doesn't work, especially when you are doing neither one particularly well.
Old 12-26-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Overall the ratings may have been okay but I know they've been really bad in some individual markets.
That's not a really good reason to cancel a national show though. I'm sure Steve Harvey's show had ratings that are "really bad in some individual markets."

As for the tonal inconsistency, that could probably explain why the show didn't catch on in the ratings, but not necessarily why it was cancelled. If the show had been tonally inconsistent but a huge hit, it would still be on the air.
Old 12-27-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That's not a really good reason to cancel a national show though. I'm sure Steve Harvey's show had ratings that are "really bad in some individual markets."
But as has been pointed out, it's killing ratings for the following show. So even if the national average is okay, if it's hurting top 20 markets as a lead-in, away it goes.

As for the tonal inconsistency, that could probably explain why the show didn't catch on in the ratings, but not necessarily why it was cancelled. If the show had been tonally inconsistent but a huge hit, it would still be on the air.
I don't think it's possible for a show to be as inconsistent as that one has been and be a hit. Plus I've heard there is all kinds of behind the scenes drama going on, the original EP was replaced, staffers have come and gone, etc.
Old 12-27-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
But as has been pointed out, it's killing ratings for the following show. So even if the national average is okay, if it's hurting top 20 markets as a lead-in, away it goes.
Where are you getting this info? It's not in the articles provided.

I did find this Deadline article that says something along those lines:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/kati...c/#more-655046
However, while ratings have been decent overall, the show didn’t do enough for its core ABC station group, posting time period declines and hurting the stations’ newscast that follow it. And Katie‘s biggest problem was its big price tag, said to be $30 million-$40 million a year.
From what I can tell, the "ABC station group" is the ABC Owned Television Stations Group, which consists of 8 markets, only 6 of which are in the top 20.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Ow...ision_Stations
http://www.disneyabctv.com/division/index_facts.shtml
Old 12-27-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
Had she agreed to even half the salary she would probably still be on the air, especially given the fact that she was head and shoulders a better show than Steve Harvey, Queen Latifah or Wendy Williams. But that bar is set so low she couldnt possibly do worse.
I disagree. I think Harvey is at least likeable and witty. Couric just seemed like a robot in the very little of the show I've seen. None of the shows you mentioned are great, I grant you that (Ellen is the only afternoon show that is worth a damn), but Katie wasn't much better than the competition IMHO. They all are pretty mediocre in their own way. Which makes what Oprah was able to do all the more impressive.

That said, I'm not made at Katie for taking the money one bit. If someone offered it to her, she'd be a little foolish not to take it, and try to make the best of her run.
Old 12-27-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Couric just seemed like a robot in the very little of the show I've seen.
Bottom line: Nobody who wants to have fun thinks Katie Couric. She has her talents and gifts, but that isn't one of them.
Old 12-29-13, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
The truth is Katie Couric knew her high salary demands would doom the show but went for the payday anyway.

No one could be that self-deluded to think that their talk show would find such blockbuster ratings to justify the huge budget that was dominated by her own salary.
Oprah.
Old 12-29-13, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Bottom line: Nobody who wants to have fun thinks Katie Couric. She has her talents and gifts, but that isn't one of them.
I'd have fun with Katie Couric ... I just have no desire to watch her on TV in any format.

It really shocked me to notice OldBoy is the OP ... That's just weird.
Old 12-30-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I never watched the show but from what I remember she had something to do with keeping GH from being cancelled.
Old 12-30-13, 11:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Oprah.
Katie Couric is no Oprah.
Old 12-31-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched yesterday for the first time. She is forced and tries to hard.
Old 12-31-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Oprah.
Oprah didn't start raking in the cash until her show was very firmly established, so it's really not an accurate comparison for someone demanding that kind of payday from word one. Also...yeah, what Supermallet said.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.