Reload this Page >

THE FUGITIVE (Complete Series) - $63.86 at DVDPlanet

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 12-01-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THE FUGITIVE - Complete TV Series - is listed at $63.86 at DVDPlanet. Note: it is a "heavy item" so there will be an additional shipping charge added to the $63.86 item price.

DeepDiscount has it for $66.00 (again, there will be an additional shipping charge here too)

Note: I'm not up to speed on what issues there are (or might have been) with regard to this set. Amazon is not selling it. Again, I don't know if everything is okay with regard to the discs, or if not, if any sort of replacement program is still active.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/dvd/fug...-discs_2432007
Old 12-01-13, 10:50 AM
Banned

Re: THE FUGITIVE (Complete Series) - $63.86 at DVDPlanet

Ordered 1 from DVDPlanet.com. Had $12.00 in points so order came to $53.00 and change! Thanks OP!
Old 12-01-13, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flixtime , didn't know if you were saying Amazon wasn't selling it, meaning that they weren't selling it, only resellers(fullfilled by amazon) or if you didn't see it on the site....anyway, dvd planet's price is much better....
http://www.amazon.com/Fugitive-Most-...s+complete+set

I had heard in the past there were issues with music rights, and music was replaced(on the individual seasons) I did see this info on one of the first reviews of the box set....
**As of November 15, 2012, the web site TV Shows On DVD has announced that CBS is offering replacement discs for 5 defective DVDs in this set. The 5 discs are the two Season 1 discs containing the audio issues in the episodes "Bloodline" and "Taps For a Dead War," the season two disc containing the episode "The Iron Maiden," which has music issues, the season three disc containing the episode "Three Cheers For Little Boy Blue," and the season three disc containing the two-part episode "Landscape With Running Figures." Those episodes had playback problems.
Old 12-01-13, 12:46 PM

I am cautiously optomistic that this set may be a fixed one since DVD Planet is a retailer and does not work with resellers. Hoping CBS has released sets with the problems fixed, I ordered. Recent comments in Amazon indicate they will still respond to complaints with problem disks.
Old 12-01-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by berigan
flixtime , didn't know if you were saying Amazon wasn't selling it, meaning that they weren't selling it, only resellers(fullfilled by amazon) or if you didn't see it on the site....anyway, dvd planet's price is much better....

I had heard in the past there were issues with music rights, and music was replaced(on the individual seasons) I did see this info on one of the first reviews of the box set....
**As of November 15, 2012, the web site TV Shows On DVD has announced that CBS is offering replacement discs for 5 defective DVDs in this set. The 5 discs are the two Season 1 discs containing the audio issues in the episodes "Bloodline" and "Taps For a Dead War," the season two disc containing the episode "The Iron Maiden," which has music issues, the season three disc containing the episode "Three Cheers For Little Boy Blue," and the season three disc containing the two-part episode "Landscape With Running Figures." Those episodes had playback problems.
I thought that's why the sets were pulled fhe first time. I don't know for sure, but I thought they re-released the set with errors fixed.

I really want this. This is one series I'd really like to go through and I only have the half seasons from the Big Lots sale a couple of years ago. They are unopened b/c I wanted everything before I started, so I could sell them. I've just spent so much money ... decisions decisions ..
Old 12-01-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The half season sets for seasons 2 and 3 were a huge mess and should be discarded. The half season sets for seasons 1 and 4 are ok, but still feature minimal music replacement.

The first box set that was released was pulled and the reason was never publicly announced, though there was lots of speculation, including one episode with scenes missing music entirely. It also had incidental music replaced, things like background music in bar scenes, etc., but only in some episodes.

The second box set released had ALL of the original music restored, including the incidental music. However, I believe there were audio glitches or some other issues involving five discs. CBS/PARAMOUNT then instituted a replacement program for those five problematic discs, a program that I think they are still honoring.

The third box set released corrected all the problems.

Hope this helps! It's a great price for the greatest TV show ever produced.
Old 12-01-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for everyone's input with regard to this release.

One more point to mention...with regard to the listing of this item (and all the other Paramount television sale stuff (including GOMER PYLE)), they are marked at DeepDiscount as being part of the Black Friday sale, and that sale ends today. It seems a reasonable thought to think that DVDPlanet might also raise the prices come later tonight/tomorrow...so if you want any of these shows, maybe the safe play would be to order right away.
Old 12-01-13, 05:17 PM

A couple recent reviews on Amazon complain of one of the Season 2 disks being missing, packaged with a duplicate of another Season 2 disk in its place. One of the reviews indicates no response from the studio to the problem after 4 months.

Personally I've been sitting on the fence on this one - every time I've considered buying it over the past year, I've noticed some new complaint in the Amazon reviews regarding some problem in the set or the studio's handling of the issues. This lower price *might* be enough to make me take a chance, but if I do it will be knowing this is a calculated risk regarding the product quality, not a sure thing purchase.
Old 12-01-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

ProfessorEcho , thanks for that run down- very helpful!

and thanks to OP for pointing this deal out. Had resigned myself to passing on this set since I already have all eight of the half volumes- but the price here is right to take a chance on getting all the original music. Also had $5 in reward points, which brought it down to $60 and change.
After I get the set, and verify that everything is kosher inside, I'll put my individual sets up and hopefully be able to subsidize this purchase by a good margin.
Old 12-01-13, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by berigan

Last I heard the sets mostly after 2011 were corrected ones FYI-
Old 12-01-13, 07:47 PM

Wow, thx OP!

Grabbed this and Untouchables, next stop, bankruptcy court!!
Old 12-02-13, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leahcim
Wow, thx OP!

Grabbed this and Untouchables, next stop, bankruptcy court!!
SO TRUE!!!
Old 12-09-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got mine in today- the shipping box and the outer box were pristine, but I could hear plastic bits ominously rolling around inside. Sure enough, every one of the four plastic 8 disc cases was busted all to hell. Amazingly none of the discs popped off their hubs, but all the cases are completely trashed inside and out.
Nice looking set, but no way I can keep this.
Old 12-09-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Got mine in today- the shipping box and the outer box were pristine, but I could hear plastic bits ominously rolling around inside. Sure enough, every one of the four plastic 8 disc cases was busted all to hell. Amazingly none of the discs popped off their hubs, but all the cases are completely trashed inside and out.
Same thing with mine. All four are damaged badly. I haven't even checked the discs yet.
Old 12-09-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I had the exact same issue (but got mine from Deep Discount). I decided to keep it anyway, given that a possibly long process of return and exchange might result in the same plus more headaches. I'm just going to look around for some replacement cases and settle for that.

Damaged inventory may have been the reason for the discounted sets? Just a guess.
Old 12-09-13, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend

Damaged inventory may have been the reason for the discounted sets? Just a guess.
Wow, for three people here to have the same problem, you have to wonder, but what a P.R. and customer service nightmare to even consider doing such a thing....
Old 12-09-13, 04:23 PM
Banned

Got mine today and same damn thing!!! All 4 cases smashed to bits...discs okay BUT I definitely will not accept this set in this condition!!! I am returning mine with a huge complaint and wait for a good one I don't care how low the price was...IT was advertised as new and that's the condition it should be in period. This is BS!!!
Old 12-09-13, 07:02 PM
Banned

Checked my discs and all were fine including the problem with one of the episodes that previously had playback problems. Want to try another route...Does anyone know an email address for CBS/Paramount that we could request we be sent replacement cases for the destroyed ones??? Any help would be greatly appreciated-
Old 12-10-13, 12:00 AM
Banned

Got mine today...same story as everyone else. All four cases damaged on sides that opened (one cracked; the other three had HUGE chunks out of them at the point where one would grasp the case to open it.

In addition, all of the inner tabs that hold the trays were broken in each of the four cases. Thankfully, all of the discs stayed seated in the trays, but all of the trays are loose inside the cases.

My copy had a yellow sticker pasted over the UPS on the back. Makes me wonder if this was a defective batch or some that had been returned and then sold off cheaply to DVDPlanet. It reminds me of the HGWT Season 3 debacle from Amazon a few years back in which Amazon unloaded a bunch at a huge discount and then customers discovered that the batch in question (with a different UPC number from the 'good' copies) were beset by the dreaded DVD rot. At least Amazon eventually refunded the money and didn't even require the sets to be returned.

The odd thing is that the cases sit securely inside the box. I even shook mine (since the damage was already done) just to see if they could have shifted inside the box, but everything sounded secure (and the box showed no damage from shipping). The box itself was well-packed inside a sturdy shipping carton with lots of packing to keep it from shifting. I just don't see how this damage could have happened during shipment...especially since it's a problem that appears to be almost universal to this particular offering. I'm thinking that DVDPlanet knew (or suspected) that the sets were damaged prior to shipping and sold them anyway.
Old 12-10-13, 06:05 AM
Banned

When I called DVDPlanet.com I was told by a supervisor after venting my unhappiness with this to a CSR , and was told the they NEVER sell previously damaged or returned dvds!!! YEAH...BS they don't! I did not believe her for a second!!!
Old 12-10-13, 08:33 AM

Does anyone have a theory as to how the cases could have been destroyed when the outer boxes were fine? This is very weird.
Old 12-10-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The outer box isn't strong. They probably had a bunch of these sets stacked on top of each other and the sheer weight probably broke the plastic.
Old 12-10-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It could be the construction of the cases.
I found 8 disc replacement cases on Amazon here, but if you read the reviews, at least one person couldn't even get empty ones delivered intact.

After I posted yesterday, I thought about it a bit and figured it would probably be better to just get replacement cases and keep the set- but $14 more now makes the cost of the set $77- not near as amazing a deal as it was originally. Also, the consistency with which we've all had problems with this set- and that yellow sticker over the UPC- does make it look like the studio was trying to stick a bunch of people with faulty merch.
I'm more tempted now just to send the thing back with an angry letter.
Old 12-10-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the link. I might buy from Bags Unlimited though. Season 4 needs a 10-disc case.
Old 12-10-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to bear in mind when looking for replacement cases - the Fugitive cases are a bit of an odd size, about 25mm across the spine, or a little under an inch. Most multi-disk replacement cases I'm finding on the internet are 33mm/inch and a half. At that much larger, the cover insert will probably look awkward and the cases may not fit back in the box.

I've seen a few 27mm cases, which might be close enough to work, but they are not easy to find in a clear model.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.