Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Springsteen - "High Hopes" - 1/14/14 - NEW ALBUM

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-24-13, 10:20 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

On the heels of officially announcing his new single, the Havalinas cover ”High Hopes” — out officially today, along with a downloadable version of his recently recorded studio take on “Dream Baby Dream” — comes word of High Hopes, his 18th studio album, due out Jan. 14 and now available for pre-order on iTunes.

Following several weeks of rumor and speculation, and more than one supposed “leaked” track list, here’s the track listing for Bruce’s latest release, an unusual mix of songs written years ago — studio versions of songs previously played live, or in some cases outtakes that have never seen the light of day – obscure covers, and some new originals

1. High Hopes
2. Harry's Place
3. American Skin (41 Shots)
4. Just Like Fire Would
5. Down In The Hole
6. Heaven's Wall
7. Frankie Fell In Love
8. This Is Your Sword
9. Hunter Of Invisible Game
10. The Ghost of Tom Joad (Duet with Tom Morello)
11.The Wall
12. Dream Baby Dream
Old 11-24-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: Bruce Springsteen - "High Hopes" - 1/14/14 - NEW ALBUM

Big fan and I have um... high hopes...that High Hopes is great.
Old 11-24-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Nice, I really enjoyed Wrecking Ball so hopefully this is a good follow up.
Old 11-24-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Nice, I really enjoyed Wrecking Ball so hopefully this is a good follow up.
I can put Land Of Hope And Dreams from this album on repeat for the longest time and not get bored. Hopefully the new album has some anthems on it.
Old 11-24-13, 10:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I only recently came around to appreciating Springsteen, so this will be his first new album since I got into him.
Old 11-25-13, 10:28 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Studio version of "American Skin." Hopefully epic.
Old 11-25-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Springsteen's site says Tom Morello is playing guitar on half the album.

interesting.
Old 11-25-13, 01:14 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Springsteen's site says Tom Morello is playing guitar on half the album.

interesting.
Fine, as long as we don't have half an album full of guitar effects and masturbatory squeals.
Old 11-25-13, 03:26 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

NEW ALBUM OFFICIAL: MAN, THE DOPE'S THAT THERE'S HIGH HOPES
They couldn't go back to Australia without a new album, right? Right. On January 14, less than two weeks before Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band set out for South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, Springsteen will release his 18th studio album, High Hopes.

The title track is one with a history in Springsteen's repertoire, a Tim Scott/Havalinas cut that Bruce first tackled with the E Street Band in '95, then revisited live in Australia early this year. In the album's liner notes, Springsteen describes the cover — resurrected at Tom Morello's suggestion — as a catalyst for this new album. Bruce states that he was already "working on a record of some of our best unreleased material from the past decade," but then "Tom and his guitar became my muse, pushing the rest of this project to another level."

So this is not Tracks 2. Still, "High Hopes" isn't the only song fans have heard before; as Springsteen writes, "Some of these songs... you'll be familiar with from our live versions. I felt they were among the best of my writing and deserved a proper studio recording." A full half of the album's 12 songs have been performed live, also including "American Skin (41 Shots)," "The Wall," "The Ghost of Tom Joad," Saints cover "Just Like Fire Would," and Suicide cover "Dream Baby Dream." Only one of them, however, "The Ghost of Tom Joad," had been released in a studio version already, and that, of course, in a dramatically different form.

Enter Tom Morello. As the High Hopes "muse," Morello is all over this record, dueting on "Joad" and playing on "High Hopes," "Harry's Place" (a title known from Springsteen's Rising-era notebook), "American Skin," "Just Like Fire Would," "Heaven's Wall," "Hunter of Invisible Game," and "Dream Baby Dream."

The remaining tracks on the record are all Springsteen originals: "Down in the Hole," "Frankie Fell in Love," and "This Is Your Sword."

In addition to the Sydney studio sessions Springsteen had previously spoke about, the album was recorded in New Jersey, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and New York City, with production credit going to Brendan O'Brien, Ron Aniello, and Springsteen. The various locales and production credits reflect material dating back to sessions for The Rising. As the press release states, "Clarence Clemons, who passed away in 2011, and Danny Federici, who passed away in 2008, also appear on several songs."

High Hopes can be pre-ordered now. The album will be available digitally from iTunes, with tracks "High Hopes" and "Dream Baby Dream" available now as mp3s.

In the U.S., Amazon.com will carry an exclusive, limited version with a bonus live DVD: Springsteen and the E Street Band performing Born in the U.S.A. in its entirety at the 2013 Hard Rock Calling show, June 30 at London's Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. The Amazon Bonus Limited Edition is available now for pre-order.

Bruce Springsteen's High Hopes Liner Notes:
I was working on a record of some of our best unreleased material from the past decade when Tom Morello (sitting in for Steve during the Australian leg of our tour) suggested we ought to add "High Hopes" to our live set. I had cut "High Hopes," a song by Tim Scott McConnell of the LA based Havalinas, in the '90s. We worked it up in our Aussie rehearsals and Tom then proceeded to burn the house down with it. We re-cut it mid tour at Studios 301 in Sydney along with "Just Like Fire Would," a song from one of my favorite early Australian punk bands, The Saints (check out "I'm Stranded"). Tom and his guitar became my muse, pushing the rest of this project to another level. Thanks for the inspiration Tom.

Some of these songs, "American Skin" and "Ghost of Tom Joad," you'll be familiar with from our live versions. I felt they were among the best of my writing and deserved a proper studio recording. "The Wall" is something I'd played on stage a few times and remains very close to my heart. The title and idea were Joe Grushecky's, then the song appeared after Patti and I made a visit to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington. It was inspired by my memories of Walter Cichon. Walter was one of the great early Jersey Shore rockers, who along with his brother Ray (one of my early guitar mentors) led the "Motifs". The Motifs were a local rock band who were always a head above everybody else. Raw, sexy and rebellious, they were the heroes you aspired to be. But these were heroes you could touch, speak to, and go to with your musical inquiries. Cool, but always accessible, they were an inspiration to me, and many young working musicians in 1960's central New Jersey. Though my character in "The Wall" is a Marine, Walter was actually in the Army, A Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Infantry. He was the first person I ever stood in the presence of who was filled with the mystique of the true rock star. Walter went missing in action in Vietnam in March 1968. He still performs somewhat regularly in my mind, the way he stood, dressed, held the tambourine, the casual cool, the freeness. The man who by his attitude, his walk said "you can defy all this, all of what's here, all of what you've been taught, taught to fear, to love and you'll still be alright." His was a terrible loss to us, his loved ones and the local music scene. I still miss him.

This is music I always felt needed to be released. From the gangsters of "Harry's Place," the ill-prepared roomies on "Frankie Fell In Love" (shades of Steve and I bumming together in our Asbury Park apartment) the travelers in the wasteland of "Hunter Of Invisible Game," to the soldier and his visiting friend in "The Wall", I felt they all deserved a home and a hearing. Hope you enjoy it.
—Bruce Springsteen

This morning's official press release from Shore Fire Media announced details regarding the album only; there has yet to be any indication of further touring after New Zealand in March.
Old 11-25-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Holy shit, way to bury the lead:

High Hopes (AMAZON BONUS LIMITED EDITION*)(CD/ DVD)
Bruce Springsteen (Artist) | Format: Audio CD

'High Hopes' finds Bruce Springsteen in a number of different musical settings, and includes the E Street Band members in various large and small combinations as well as guitarist Tom Morello on eight tracks. Besides Morello, the album also includes appearances on several songs by Clarence Clemons, who passed away in 2011, and Danny Federici, who passed away in 2008, on what Springsteen calls "some of our best unreleased material from the past decade." The album was recorded in New Jersey, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Australia and New York City and marks Springsteen's 18th studio album. As Bruce writes in the albums liner notes, "I felt they were among the best of my writing and deserved a proper studio recording."

The AMAZON BONUS LIMITED EDITION* version also includes a live DVD of Bruce and the E Street Band performing the entire "Born In The U.S.A." album in London, England, during the historic Wrecking Ball World Tour.

*This version will be available for a LIMITED TIME ONLY.

That's been pre-ordered already of course!
Old 11-25-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Definitely in for the Amazon exclusive. Too bad the concert disc isn't on Blu-ray rather than DVD though.
Old 11-25-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Am I the only one who doesn't like when an artist mixes new songs with old songs, outtakes, live versions etc and calls it a "new album"? Reminds me of Rattle and Hum.
Old 11-25-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Am I the only one who doesn't like when an artist mixes new songs with old songs, outtakes, live versions etc and calls it a "new album"?
You're not the only one. I hate it. New material or fuggediboutit. Or an album of old outtakes that have never/seldom been heard before, like Tracks.
Still, Wrecking Ball was his best in years imo, so we shall see.
Old 11-26-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

High Hopes & The Wall... At first I thought Bruce was releasing a Pink Floyd tribute album...Har Dee Har
Old 01-02-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So thanks to Amazon, this CD has leaked.

Bruce Springsteen’s new album leaked early on Amazon

For those of you with restraint, it will be streaming on CBS.com on Sunday night, after The Good Wife:

Bruce Springsteen's new album 'High Hopes' making its debut on 'The Good Wife,' to stream at CBS.com
Old 01-02-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars... even before it was recorded!
Old 01-02-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars... even before it was recorded!
I'm a huge Springsteen fan, but given that they named John Fogerty's retread (I mean "recut") album one of the top ten of the year, I get your point.
Old 01-02-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I like Springsteen, but RS's tongue has been so firmly lodged up his ass for decades now it's become a running gag. Never mind that perennial Springsteen nutsucker (and overall douchebag) Dave Marsh has made the man a cottage industry for himself (and RS as well).
Old 01-02-14, 02:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

RS gave Mick Jagger's last solo album five stars. 'Nuff said.
Old 01-06-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only 4.5 stars out of 5:

High Hopes Review
Old 01-14-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Got my copy from Amazon today. Very disappointed in the cheap packaging. Instead of some special package, they have the regular album in one of those cheap cardboard sleeves I hate, then the Born in the USA Live DVD in a separate, tiny cardboard sleeve that's adhesed to the regular CD. Cheap and disappointing package. Looking forward to listening to the album on my way home though.
DVD run time is 66 minutes
Old 01-14-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Got my copy from Amazon today. Very disappointed in the cheap packaging. Instead of some special package, they have the regular album in one of those cheap cardboard sleeves I hate, then the Born in the USA Live DVD in a separate, tiny cardboard sleeve that's adhesed to the regular CD. Cheap and disappointing package. Looking forward to listening to the album on my way home though.
DVD run time is 66 minutes
The content is great (both the CD and DVD) but I agree on the packaging... poor job for a 'limited' edition.

The cardboard packaging didn't survive shipping thanks to Amazon throwing it loose in an oversized mailer. It arrived completely bent over in one corner. I'm hoping the replacement copy is packaged better.
Old 01-14-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I like Springsteen, but RS's tongue has been so firmly lodged up his ass for decades now it's become a running gag. Never mind that perennial Springsteen nutsucker (and overall douchebag) Dave Marsh has made the man a cottage industry for himself (and RS as well).

I refuse to believe RS has any vested interest in giving favorable Springsteen reviews

Last edited by cungar; 01-14-14 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Meh, not impressed. Other than the remake of "Ghost Of Tom Joad" didn't care much for it at all. Was also surprised to hear Bruce drop the F-bomb. Didn't really think that was his style.

Third album in a row from the Boss I've found pretty boring. Last decent album of his I truly liked was Magic, and that was nearly seven years ago, now. I keep having "high hopes" that every subsequent release will be at least as good, but so far, no go.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 01-15-14 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also think it's just an average album. It was interesting hearing him cover The Saint's "Just Like Fire Would", but the original is WAY better.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.