Warframe (PC, PS4, XB1) - Ninjas Play Free

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-17-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warframe Wiki: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9fNLhVpBrBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The same guy does videos for most of the Warframes and some of the weapons and sentinels HERE.

Note that the game his its own friends list separate from PSN, so you'll have to send friend invites to fellow DVD Talkers in-game.

Last edited by chess; 11-18-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-17-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Warframe (PC, PS4, XB1) - Ninjas Play Free

Originally Posted by flashburn
Warframe is pretty sick. My only complaint really is the camera and the melee combat being nearly impossible. The game just needs some polish.

To equip the Orokin Reactor/Catalyst go to the upgrade screen for your Warframe or weapon, and then press R2. If you've already spent all your platinum, I'd suggest just buying a small amount to get the Orokin items, going without them sucks. As a refresher for others, they double the amount of skill points available to use for that specific Warframe/weapon.

Is there a Warframe thread? We should probably just post in there if so.
So I used 40 of my last 50 platinum on the 2 orokin items. Thanks again for the tip.

There isn't an R2 option in the upgrade screen, but it does look like they equipped automatically, because they are at the top of the screen along with another grayed out item that I apparently don't have.

I also bought a Volt because he looked fun and I bought a sentinel, but apparently the wrong one.

As far as the melee, I'm mostly playing it as a shooter unless ammo becomes an issue.
Old 11-17-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Orokin Reactors and Catalysts. There is another Orokin item that's used for crafting, but you can find it as a drop as well. Don't buy this one.

The only other way to get the Reactors and Catalysts is from "Alert" missions, occasionally. You won't see any "Alert" missions until you unlock more levels probably.

Yeah, you shouldn't of bought a Sentinel, you'll get a BP for one soon enough.

The other things you want to buy are slots for weapons and warframes. The only way to get more slots is by spending Platinum.

I'm really shocked at how little of a paywall (pay hump?) this game has.
Old 11-17-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Protip: For Survival mission you only need to last 5 minutes. You should slowly make your way to the exit the entire time, but then when there's about a minute left, haul ass to the exit. You can stick around and shit gets tougher and drops get better, but you will probably die.
Old 11-17-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Transmute: Turns 4 unwanted upgrades into a random one. Different chances on getting a different rarity level dependent on the rarity of the combined upgrades. I did it once, and it didn't seem worth it, cost a lot of credits.

Fusion: Upgrade a selected upgrade by "fusing" other upgrades. This increases the amount of skill points needed to use however. You can also use Fusion Cores (don't sell these!). Fusing an upgrade of the same type is much more efficient than just picking whatever.
Old 11-17-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Warframe Wiki: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki
Old 11-17-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started fusing last night, and I built a sword in the foundry.

It looks like a want to spend my credits on blueprints. That about right? Any particular guns I should be blueprinting?

I bought the vacuum sentinel, and he's not terrible. In theory he sucks up loot without me having to walk over it, which sounded appealing but doesn't seem to be all that effective. He also has a nice little shotgun blast if anybody gets too close to me. I bought the blueprints for dethcube, which is the one I should have gotten in the first place.

Also sent you a friend request in game.
Old 11-17-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think so. Get the Braton (not the MK-1 you start with). It's a really solid gun, and you can easily use it until you find a drop.

I crafted a sword from a BP drop last night as well, pretty cool. I think there's a pistol you can buy for around 25,000 credits, so I'll probably just do that too.
Old 11-17-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit. I used my orokin thingie on my starter pistol thinking I could unequip it. Doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 11-17-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doh, that sucks. Well, I guess you could always buy some more platinum. I don't remember what it costs, maybe $10 for 500?
Old 11-17-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Doh, that sucks. Well, I guess you could always buy some more platinum. I don't remember what it costs, maybe $10 for 500?
I'll probably buy some at some point, but I want to make sure I fully understand everything this time. That really bummed me out.

I freaking love this game...for a lot of the same reasons I like Borderlands so much. I dumped $80 in Borderlands 2, so I should probably buy some platinum at some point just on principle.

I got a Rhino blueprint drop tonight, and I had everything I needed to build him.
Old 11-17-13, 10:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry for not knowing the terminology...

How come the cost of power-ups changes when I put them on my toon? For example, I had a card that had a cost of 2 but when I dropped on my dude the cost changed to 1?

Hope this question makes sense...
Old 11-17-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Sorry for not knowing the terminology...

How come the cost of power-ups changes when I put them on my toon? For example, I had a card that had a cost of 2 but when I dropped on my dude the cost changed to 1?

Hope this question makes sense...
I hope this answer makes sense...

If the slot you're putting a power up in has the same symbol as the card, it only uses half the energy.

Just don't ask me what the symbols mean or what "polarity" is about.
Old 11-18-13, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, that's basically all there is to it. Match the symbol, and it costs half. If you mismatch the symbol, it costs 1 more I believe.
Old 11-18-13, 08:13 AM

It won't even let me mismatch symbols I think.
Old 11-18-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It won't even let me mismatch symbols I think.
You probably don't have enough energy (or skill points, whatever its called) then. Unless it's an Aura, those specifically need an Aura slot.
Old 11-18-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Posted over at the PS4 topic but I really need to get in a game with Chess and Flashburn. I only did the install, the pre-order add-on and did the first part where you choose a character...no world mission. Probably not tonight but Tuesday looks good.
Old 11-18-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Posted over at the PS4 topic but I really need to get in a game with Chess and Flashburn. I only did the install, the pre-order add-on and did the first part where you choose a character...no world mission. Probably not tonight but Tuesday looks good.
Sure thing. I'll probably be on Tuesday night. Just remember that you have to send an in-game friend request, and it's probably best to set up party chat outside of the game, because it's still prone to occasional network oddities.

I'm really loving the game. My take is that if you like the chaos of a good fight in Borderlands, you will love Warframe. It's grindy, but in a way that's always fun, and the loot drops are usually worth checking out, where that's not always the case in Borderlands or Diablo.

My only issue thus far is that the gameplay is pretty easy to figure out, but I've absolutely stumbled through the crafting and menu navigation, and I've wasted a good amount of platinum in the process. I bought a "Volt" frame because he looked fun (and he is), but I could have just bought the blueprint for in-game currency and built him. Same for my sentinel. And I wasted that Orokin thing on my starter pistol not realizing that it was permenantly attached. That kind of stuff is frustrating, but maybe others can learn from my mistakes. I guess I'd recommend using your bonus platinum on an extra Warframe slot and the Orokin items (but save those for when you get that special gun).

Flashburn is absolutely correct that the paywall, if any, isn't exactly prominent. I'm probably 8-10 hours in, and everything I've bought with platinum was either a result of me not knowing what I was doing or was something I could have waited for. I've also found that some of the things I found clumsy about the controls initially have become really rewarding as I've grown accustomed to them. I'm starting to get the wall runs and sliding moves down, and you feel like a badass when you pull them off.
Old 11-18-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

thanks for all the info. When I did the first part it gave me which "Warframe" to choose. Not really knowing much I chose the one on the right...something about taking down shields and such. I'll need to look at that video you posted on the basics again so not to get in the game blindly. Looking forward to this...now to find time to continue ith Killzone and Resogun not to mention my BF4 copy comes in the next few days....good grief...and I still haven't popped in Knack!
Old 11-18-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Updated OP with wiki link, basics video and link to other videos.
Old 11-18-13, 10:15 AM

Thanks, chess. The tutorial for this game is fine, but there's a lot of complicated concepts they don't explain at all...like upgrades. Also, on my first mission it asked me if I wanted to revive or quit. Well, of course I want to revive! Later on I realized that those revives are bought with platinum. Oops.
Old 11-18-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Each Warframe has the power to self-revive 4 times every 24 hours
Old 11-18-13, 10:20 AM

Oh! Cool. I don't think I'll ever exceed that.

This is why games need to spend more time and effort on easing players in. I imagine a lot of people get turned off by the complexity of this game and don't ever progress far.
Old 11-18-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you sure its on a 24 hour cycle for revives? It seemed like less than that to me.

I agree that the game doesn't do a good job of introducing itself to new players. However, once you fight through the oddities, it's a pretty rewarding experience.

I absolutely love the CCG style mods system.

I'd probably be down with playing a game on Tuesday night (depending on the time). If you see me on, send me an invite.
Old 11-18-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh! Cool. I don't think I'll ever exceed that.

This is why games need to spend more time and effort on easing players in. I imagine a lot of people get turned off by the complexity of this game and don't ever progress far.
Yeah, I agree, and just so you know, I had to look that up. I knew my revives had reappeared, but I wasn't sure how!

Warframe definitely throws you in the deep end of the pool...not in terms of the game itself, which is pretty straighforward shoot and slash, but rather in terms of the metagame of building, crafting, combining, etc.

I watched the video in the OP before playing, but I didn't REALLY WATCH the video like I should have. Now that I have context and have made some mistakes, that tutorial makes a lot more sense.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.