Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel / Netflix projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-14-13, 08:42 PM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: The notorious secrecy that surrounds Marvel‘s projects has been heightened to the nth degree for this one. No one would breathe a word, with rumors that everyone from top to bottom is bound by strict nondisclosure agreements, but I hear that Marvel is quietly putting together a package of four drama series and a miniseries — a total of some 60 episodes — that would be taken out to the VOD and cable space, with Netflix, Amazon and WGN America rumored as potential candidates. Feelers had been send out, and I hear there’s already interest from digital platforms and traditional cable networks in the package, which I hear is in very early stages with very little talent attached. Reps for Marvel refused any comment. The company has been so adamant about keeping its projects under wraps that ABC topper Paul Lee joked at TCA in August that critics who wanted to attend a screening of the Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot — the only one in ages to not be distributed in advance — could expect to be asked to submit “a sample of your grandmother’s urine or the Marvel guys won’t let you in.” In addition to S.H.I.E.L.D., which was just given a full-season order, as we first reported, Marvel is developing Agent Carter, a drama series inspired by the short film Item 47 on The Avengers DVD. It is unclear whether that project is being earmarked for ABC or would be part of the VOD/cable package. Committing to 60 episodes off the bat is a big undertaking for a network/digital service but would make sense for outlets new to scripted programming that are looking to quickly build up a slate and want to capitalize on the Marvel brand.
Old 10-14-13, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Marvel Preps 60-Episode Package Of Four Series & A Mini-series For Netflix

Hope they're a bit more inspired then SHIELD, which I don't think is terrible like many here but wish it was more creative and interesting instead of filled with cliches.

Agent Carter was a lot a of fun though, I wouldn't mind seeing that developed at all.
Old 10-14-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real fun is speculating what unallocated characters they are using, yes?

Maybe the Namor rights have finally expired and he's one. Same for Punisher perhaps? It has been a good while since we had a Blade movie, so that could be another.
Old 10-14-13, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Will this finally revolutionize television?
Old 10-14-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Will this finally revolutionize television?
Yes. Katzenberg is going to get involved and charge people $6 per 6 minute increment like he wanted to do with additional episodes of Breaking Bad.
Old 10-14-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Show some damn restraint. I like this stuff. But they're overloading it. There was a point when "Die Hard in a..." was really cool. And then after Sudden Death, they all sucked.
Old 10-15-13, 12:31 AM
Banned

They'll need a new Marvel show or two once SHIELD gets cancelled halfway through its second season.
Old 10-15-13, 01:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One-shot spin-offs from various films?

Maybe something from Guardians of the Galaxy...?

Wasn't a proposed Hulk show still-borna few years back?

I'd like them to have a serious stab at The Defenders so long as they didn't poison it for the future (or need a reboot) by writing themselves into a corner
Old 10-15-13, 09:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marvel finally owns Ghost Rider again. I think that property would work better as a series than it did as films. I also wouldn't mind seeing someone like Morbius in a series, maybe involving other horror characters like Werewolf By Night, Man-Thing, etc. With all these shows like Sleepy Hollow and Grimm doing well they might pull something out of that lesser-explored side of the Marvel Universe. They also have the rights back to Blade, although they already tried that as a series in 2006 and it didn't last long.
Old 10-15-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The first thing that came to my mind was over saturation of their products...but i guess if they are done well and the audience eats it up, then could end up being something great.

I was thinking that as Marvel now have a few of their licenses back (Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Blade) then they could do something like a team up series with these characters to re-invigorate them. Each of these characters has had mixed outings so far, and i feel that none of them have really made solid footing in the publics eye. Teaming them up could work well. Imagine the four characters working together to fight as a team against the evil and supernatural. I think it would have great potential, but would need to be taken serious and not the lighter side that Marvel has generally worked so far.

Maybe even a TV show for something like ROM would work. It has a nice Sci-fi setting and i could see it working in a TV environment if the budget was not skimped on.
Old 10-15-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
Maybe even a TV show for something like ROM would work. It has a nice Sci-fi setting and i could see it working in a TV environment if the budget was not skimped on.
ROM was a licensed property. It was a toy from Parker Bros. originally so the rights should belong to Hasbro or Mattel or whichever one owns Parker Bros.
Old 10-15-13, 10:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I always loved the core dynamic in that comic... he is protecting Earth by killing dire wraiths disguised as humans, but the people of Earth see him as this robotic monster killing innocent humans.
Old 10-15-13, 11:17 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I would have been happy with one standalone movie for each Avenger and then a few Avengers movies. Marvel Universe is making my head explode.
Old 10-15-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember the possibility of doing a Punisher show, on a pay network, was mentioned when they got the rights back. That's the one I'd like to see as long as they put effort into it.
Old 10-15-13, 12:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking that as Marvel now have a few of their licenses back (Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Blade) then they could do something like a team up series with these characters to re-invigorate them. Each of these characters has had mixed outings so far, and i feel that none of them have really made solid footing in the publics eye. Teaming them up could work well. Imagine the four characters working together to fight as a team against the evil and supernatural.
Ghostrider and Daredevil have featured in versions of the Defenders. As has just about everyone, really, but Namor, Silver Surfer, Dr Strange and Hulk were regulars.

Iron Fist might be an interesting addition and, if they included other sometime member Luke Cage, the producers could always spin those two off and re-create the comicbook title.

So, yes, a non-team with a rotating membership with a core centre could work well for showcasing new characters and with occasional "special guests".

Maybe other TV Talkers can post their favourite female Defenders. I'd propose maybe: Scarlet Witch and Valkyrie, with maybe Moondragon and She-Hulk as options.
Old 10-15-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ghost Rider would be expensive though, no? I mean he's on fire the entire time.
Old 10-15-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Marvel finally owns Ghost Rider again. I think that property would work better as a series than it did as films. I also wouldn't mind seeing someone like Morbius in a series, maybe involving other horror characters like Werewolf By Night, Man-Thing, etc. With all these shows like Sleepy Hollow and Grimm doing well they might pull something out of that lesser-explored side of the Marvel Universe. They also have the rights back to Blade, although they already tried that as a series in 2006 and it didn't last long.
That Blade series was actually pretty good and only got canceled because it was on Spike, a brand-new network at the time.
Originally Posted by dalbowski
Ghost Rider would be expensive though, no? I mean he's on fire the entire time.
CGI characters are too expensive for weekly television, which is why he will be confined to movies. Marvel would have a Hulk show on the air if he wasn't CGI.
Old 10-15-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

So much for a CGI Howard the Duck then!

Gimme Heroes For Hire dammit!
Old 11-07-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Deal is done. And the winner is......Netflix!

tl;dr version: we get Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and the Defenders

URBANK, Calif., Nov. 7, 2013 – The Walt Disney Co. (Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” sNYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel’s most popular characters exclusively to the world’s leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.

Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.
Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”

“Marvel’s movies, such as ‘Iron Man’ and Marvel’s ‘The Avengers’, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “With ‘House of Cards’ and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”

This new original TV deal follows last year’s landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.
Old 11-07-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice move for Netflix!
Old 11-07-13, 10:56 AM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

I think this is the most exciting move so far from the Marvel Universe. Fuck. This is awesome.
Old 11-07-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Power Man & Iron Fist was my favorite comic as a kid so I'm digging this news.
Old 11-07-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My inner nerd has such a hard on right now
Old 11-07-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Iron Fist, Luke Cage and The Defenders! Great news!
Old 11-07-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds awesome. Like the idea of planning shows that will crossover as well. Very smart and cool.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.