View Single Post
Old 09-13-13, 08:25 PM   #24
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Thread

Goals:
100 Movies
31 Different Beers

Legend:

* = FTV

Wife's Thoughts In Blue
[/size]
- Sept 30th -
1.)
Carnival Of Souls (1962) (DVD)
My Thoughts: How oddly fitting that this should be my theme night choice for the Criterion Crossover. I have a vivid memory of shopping for this during the dawn of DVD and looking and scoffing at the $35 Criterion and opting for the $7 Diamond Entertainment version. An interesting grindhouse-ish title, I like the concept and it is defiantly portrayed in a way that would not be done today. Content, status and reputation wise it is easily required viewing material for any horror fan but not necessarily required owning material.
(3 out of 5)
2.)
The Being (1983) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A surprisingly fun low budget Alien rip off. Just trade space for Idaho and a Xenomorph for a toxic waste dump mutant. If you don't go in expecting the moon you should have a great time with this one and it's campy, cheesy, 80's-ness. I was pleasantly surprised that it co-stared Martin Landau, one of those guys you have seen a million times but might not quite know by name. Also I loved the whole 'this toxic wast dump is perfectly safe' angle, it was such a big theme in the 80's.
(3.5 out of 5)
- Oct 1st -
3.)
Commentary For The Being (1983) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Seriously, wtf Code Red? One of the worst quality audio commentaries I have ever heard. The moderator sounds like he is talking through a cell phone from across the room and the other guy is right up against the mic. It makes for some frustrating volume control moments. It's an unforgivable recording faux pas. It is a bit of an unusual track; the main speaker is an old comedian who only had a bit part in the movie. Where in other tracks you might get a lot of behind the scenes info on how things were shot and conditions on the set, here he is basically just making fun of the movie and talking about doing comedy in the 70's with Leno, Williams and Letterman. Interesting but his schtick is a bit tired and the audio issues are pretty annoying.
(3 out of 5)
4.) - 5.)
American Horror Story S02E10-13 (2012 - 2013) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Wow. I slacked off sometime after the 2012 OHMC with keeping up with this series, I let life get in the way. I had no Idea how satisfying this was going to be, it knocked my socks off. I mean it ended in episode 11 and we had 2 more episodes of what happened after the story! 2 episodes of that, I always wander what happened to these people after they got away or after they won. Man, I am so excited about season 3 now. Did Jessica Lang win any awards for this, because she should have.
(5 out of 5)
6.)
The Unholy (1988) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Who knew priests got so much tail? An average 80's movie, some of the effects I liked others just did not play well at all. Especially the ending which seemed like a mix between 976-Evil and Ghoulies. They should have just gone all out schlock on that and had the priest say something like 'Jesus loves you motherfucker' while throwing a crucifix at the beast. Mainstream isn't always bad though, had to have something bring me down from American Horror Story: Asylum, at least it wasn't as bad as Redneck Zombies.
(3 out of 5)
B-1.
Weihenstephaner: Oktoberfestbier (Germany) (Bottle)
My Thoughts: Much too thin to be an Oktoberfest ale in my opinion. This tastes too much like it's run of the mill American counterparts for it's own good. I don't buy beers from breweries like Weihenstephaner to taste PBR-est beers. Not horrible by any stretch but I expect more from the world's oldest brewery.
(2.5 out of 5)
7.)
Black Sabbath (1963) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: I usually love anthologies but this one didn't really do it for me. The first story was decent then the telephone bit followed by some boring vampires. And it also could have been the source I watched the youtube version posted in the talkback thread which was not only cut and subbed but VHS sourced. I can see how it could have been beautiful and Italian girls are always hotter when actually speaking Italian. But yeah, that experience was sub par, kind of like tonights beer (although I am having a non-seasonal Dogfish Head now that is pretty good).
(2.5 out of 5)
8.)
Child's Play (1988) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: Just to set the scene a little bit; it has been decades since I have both seen this movie in it's entirety and not edited for tv. That and I have watched a lot of bad Full Moon movies lately so this hit me surprisingly awesomely. I don't know if I have seen any other killer doll movies with car chases in them, seems the only reason people do killer doll movies anymore is because they can technically be done so cheap. It was suspenseful, has a surprisingly low body count and is the gold standard in killer doll movies, if you can divorce yourself from it's over-saturation it is still a great movie.
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It is very unrealistic but it is kind of funny and boy is great actor. And I thought Chucky is dead the first movie but I guess not. That mom looks very familiar I don't know which Movie she is in. King of too ordinary and I watch all the time already.
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 2nd -
9.)
Commentary For Child's Play (1988) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: An above average commentary with the mother, the son & the puppet effects engineer. It loses some points by being a split commentary but it is edited together relatively well. Lots of interesting bits here, like how the whole apartment was built 4 feet up so they could hide stuff in the floor. ANd I especially liked the boy's (now man's) retrospective commentary on the material. Getting him and the mother together in the same room would have really made this great. Still highly worth a listen.
(4 out of 5)
10.)
The Night Stalker (1972) (VHS)
My Thoughts: This series played out in it's entirety before I was born but I was lucky enough to catch a few episodes here and there in my youth, mostly on SyFy, then the Sci-Fi Channel. I likely many before me fell in love with it and ever since was always on the lookout for it. I picked up all the VHS tapes that were available at the time (3) and watched them ad nauseum. This is first time in quite awhile that I have revisited the material and it is still highly enjoyable. Now that everything is out on DVD this seems like a section of my collection that is in great need of an upgrade.
(4 out of 5)
11.)
The Night Strangler (1973) (VHS)
My Thoughts: A little more developed from the first movie, this is the Night Stalker I love. He never can catch a break though, almost as bad as The Incredible Hulk's McGee (who was in Child's Play!). The Seattle Underground setting for this one has always stuck with me and is now an item on my bucket list. The genesis material for one of my favorite shows of all time (The X-Files) and a classic in it's own right.
(4.5 out of 5)
B-2.
Anderson Valley: Fall Hornin': Pumkin Ale (California) (Bottle)
My Thoughts: It might be the picture but it kind of taste like this is made with lake water. Like water that has had a lot of speed boat travel. I have never had anything quite like it and I unfortunately don't mean that in a good way. Heavy with fall spices but pretty light to the point of non-existants on the pumpkin. Could have been decent but the fall spices were on such a weird beer base. (On another note later in the tasting process, the beer fair much better when at room temp and may fair even better if consumed outside during cold weather (Still weird though)).
(2 out of 5)
12.) - 18.5)
Kingdom Hospital S01E01-13 (2004) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: If anything that theme song will stick with me, need to download this. When you see Stephen King's name you get a certain image in your head of how a particular property is going to play out. This did not deliver on his image. It is more like someone wanted to make a Scrubs/horror miniseries. And it plays like that a lot. It wasn't bad but when compared to something like American Horror Story, or yes even Scrubs, it just doesn't stack up. Ultimately enjoyable but regretfully average.
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 3rd -
19.5)
Horror Vision (2001) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A bad cheap horror Matrix ripoff that had Brinke Stevens for a day. It should be known that I am being super generous with the rating on this one. Because it just kind of hit me in the right mood. And I liked all the 90's tech. A stupid movie but there is just a little fun to be had here, in the right frame of mind. I recommend it to no one though, go see Arcade instead.
(2 out of 5)
20.5)
Slaughter High (1986) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Classic 80's horror. The killer is trying to get us? Let's split up! You two have sex, I'll take a bath. There is something so satisfying about these cliches when done right. Slaughter High, originally and obviously titled April Fools Day, is a cheesy delightful and surprisingly gory 80's slasher. It is wonderful that I am finally seeing it unrated after watching the R version for years, I just wish they had gone back and cleaned up the print. Imagine what a decently restored BR of this could look like!
(4 out of 5)
21.) - 22.)
Sleepy Hollow S01E01-03 (2013) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: I like the idea of this series and have been generally pleased with the first few episodes. Feels a lot like the movie Warlock if that were the dynamic between Mulder and Skully. I like it and it feels much more polished than Kingdom Hospital but I don't think if there is enough here to captivate the amount of audience needed to stay in production. Seems like I have seen similar, always decent shows like this over past decade almost always only make 1 season. But they can count on me to tune in at least.
(3.5 out of 5)
B-3.
Leinenkugel's: Oktoberfest (Wisconson) (Bottle)
My Thoughts: Decent marzen. Light and smooth but maybe a bit over carbonated for what it is suppose to be. Defiantly American but still pretty refreshing.
(3.5 out of 5)
23.)
Piranha 3DD (2012) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Full disclosure, there was alcohol involved in the viewing of this movie and further more I recommend such circumstances to any potential viewers of this property. This movie was stupid, predictable, juvenile and pretty fun. Boobs, gore, 3D Piranha attacks, stupid teens and several fun bits parts. Yeah they went too over the top, like the original Piranha 2 before them but hey your are watching Piranha 3DD, what do you expect? Also some of the most enjoyable ending credits in recent memory.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It is great beginning. And good 3-d but story wise it is a little off. And need more story. And movie seems very short. And need more pirana 2 characters too.
(3.5 out of 5)
- Oct 4th -
24.) - 27.)
Crystal Lake Memories (2013) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Easily better than His Name Was Jason on all levels but HNWJ was only $5. I think I might have enjoyed this title a little more if I hadn't of paid such a premium for it, and if I had not have previously seen HNWJ. But what can I say, I am a sucker for exclusive bonus discs, and I have always regretted missing the bonus disc from the Crystal Lake To Manhattan set. There is a lot of retread here but it is a monumentally better product, it's just too bad it didn't come out first (And honestly if it had my score would have been higher). Hopefully the bonus disc is awesome, also there is a commentary that I will have to check out at some point.
(4 out of 5)
B-4.
Indian Wells Brewing Co: Spicy Pumpkin (California) (Bottle)
My Thoughts: Excellent pumpkin outing. Full bodied with the perfect amount of hops, lots of flavor without being too spicy. One of the best pumpkin beers I have had. One thing though, I got cinnamon at top but it seemed to dissipate rather quickly. Otherwise good one, go, buy, enjoy.
(4 out of 5)
28.)
Teeth (2007) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: I can see how one might be in the state of shock should something like this occur. But personally I would use all of my remaining strength to crush that girl's trachea should if it were me. At times I was digging this movie and then I would get this weird notion that it was a super-femanist man-hatting movie. But that might just be a reaction to all the penis severing. Or maybe because none of that penis mutilation was really justified, even the one guy who really was an asshole, surely there was a non-penis amputating solution. But hey, then there wouldn't have been a movie. Decent movie but not my cup of tea.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife'sThoughts: If I was actress I don't want to take this roll. It is scary probably beginning but almost turn comedy. I was wondering that real people has tooth or not. Cannot guess the ending.
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 5th -
29.)
The Hills Have Eyes (1977) (DVD)
My Thoughts: People in the 70's/80's were so much better at booby traps, seems to be a lost art in current horror fair. I have had this DVD signed by Michael Berryman durring the 2010 OHMC, he wrote: "Ben, Go camping. Michael Berryman." A bit hokey at times but still a surprisingly effective movie with a fantastic setting. I remember not liking it all that much when I watched it on an overly dark VHS back in the day, but actually seeing it helps a lot.
(4 out of 5)
B-5.
Suntory: Akiraku (Japan) (Can)
My Thoughts: The can claims 20% more roasted barely. And you can taste it, it is a nice pleasant cold weather beer. It has been awhile since I was a Japanese beer expert but if memory serves Suntory (except for their Premium Malts beers) has never really been top of the line. Better than most of it's American counter parts for sure but average for Japan. And this beer falls in line with that, still it is so nice to have some actual (not brewed in Canada) Japanese beer.
(3 out of 5)
30.)
The Entity (1982) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Ghost rape and lots of it. A surprisingly good ghost story. The musical sting that accompanies these frequent rapings are at first laughable but oddly more and more fitting each time it happens. Also the final act of this movie would dovetail surprisingly nicely with a viewing of Ghostbusters. I wonder if they built fake self squeezing breasts or used compressed air... Also Anchor Bay, come on, not even a splash menu?
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Better than I expected. I thought it's will be very kiddy and nah movie but it is good. But it is funny it's not find it that the ghost is and she has sex with ghost. Strange. I'm gonna give 4 star. Demo she orgasm once ne? It's kind of funny.
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 6th -
31.)
Dog Soldiers (2002) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I have avoided this movie for years because I knew a future Darwin Award winner who raved about it. But a few weeks ago I saw the BR for $5 and figured, what the hey. But that mouth breather's praise still spoiled it for me. I found it to be a banal werewolf letdown. Maybe i'll give it another try in a decade or so but as it stands I disliked almost every aspect of it.
(2 out of 5)
B-6.
Pyramid: Oktoberfest Lager (Washington) (Bottle)
My Thoughts: Too bitter with an unpleasant lingering floral aftertaste. Reminds me more of an IPA than an oktoberfest ale. Too bad, I really liked the picture on the bottle.
(2 out of 5)
32.)
Sinister (2012) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: This movie creeped me the fuck out. I had to turn on all the lights in the house during bathroom breaks kind of freaked out. So on that field it was highly successful. It did take some turns towards the end that I though could have been better. In fact I could have re-written that last act to make it so so much better. Still, it has been the scariest movie of the challenge thus far.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It is pretty good and make great story wise. But seems to not really find who's the murder, did not find mr boogie man. It's going to come up 2, or not? The boogie man they didn't find ne?
(4.5 out of 5)
- Oct 7th -
33.)
Commentary For Sinister (2002) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I have never really listened to a commentary for a movie quite like this, but I wasn't disappointed. A slightly above average track with quite a few interesting tidbits. No Cathulu in New York, hey thats my pen, I drink that kind of bourbon, ect. The writer and director brought a lot of their own lives into this picture. Guess now I will have to check out Emily Rose.
(3.5 out of 5)
34.)
The Black Sleep (1956) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Hey! It's a who's who of black and white horror! A bit more macabre than your standard 50's horror, gruesome medical experiments, a basement full of freaks and of course a body stealing, drifter killing gypsy. Probably a shocker in it's day but pretty tame by current standards. Still worth seeing for all the faces though.
(3 out of 5)
34.25)
The Simpsons: Treehouse Of Horror XXIV (2013) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: One of the best and most horror referenced filled Simpsons openings ever! Sad to say though that it is actually the high point of the show. We start out with a murderous Cat In The Hat episode, a double head episode and finish off with a Freaks homage. Surprisingly the Cat In The Hat episode was somehow the most effective, maybe I have just seen too many Freaks references over the years. Not even comparable to Treehouses of Horror of yore (Except the opening) but not awful.
(3 out of 5)
34.5)
American Dad: Poltergasm (2013) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Still the best show in Fox's Animation Domination. Which, btw, come on Fox it's like you mess this up every Halloween, all you need is 4-5 halloween episodes that all play in one week (you could even re-run something you really had too). Great episode, I actually lol'ed and a wonderfully awkward father daughter sex training montage sequence.
(4 out of 5)
35.)
Sleepy Hollow S01E04 (2013) (TV)*
My Thoughts: Bit of a clunky episode. I at this time see a future much similar to that of Terra Nova for Sleepy Hollow. Way too much exposition and dialog aimed at the viewer being an idiot (things like the definition of a sextant). Also we do not care about that ladies sister. Ichabod's chat with the Onstar lady was quite fun though.
(2.5 out of 5)
B-7.
Shipyard: Smashed Pumpkin (Maine) (Bottle)
My Thoughts: This one greets you with a pungent chemical pumpkin taste. Every sip I keep thinking it would dissipate and then it hits again. But surprisingly I am liking this strange beverage experience even though it's not an ahhhh experience it is at least... interesting. There is a hit of a sweet almost orange flavor that segues into a clear spicy pumpkin aftertaste. It mellow somewhat towards the bottom and 9% yea! I don't think I would have been nearly as enthusiastic at 3%.
(4 out of 5)
36.)
The Mist (2007) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Ah, bad child actor, right out of the gate. Also hey Walking Dead mini-Cast Reunion! I watched this one in B/W due to forum opinion and I think for the most part that was the correct decision. Green slimy/hulking creatures would have detracted, especially at the end. But speaking of the ending it seem terribly acted. In fact there were a lot of moments of sub-par acting in this movie. In the end it was enjoyable but I expect things with King's name attached to be better (perhaps that is a notion I should revisit after his showing thus far in this years challenge).
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: This is suck ending I do not like it. Little unrealistic. But it is scary enough, and looks exactly like Stephen King movie novel. I am sure Christian people hate it and many secretly famous people in the movie. And I wondering whats the time setting... 3.5 star because of the ending.
(3.5 out of 5)
More →

Last edited by SterlingBen; 11-04-13 at 08:23 PM.