Reload this Page >

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 06-22-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't see this here yet so I thought I'd post what i saw over at Blu-ray.com. If it was already posted, mod please merge. I'll repeat what has happened at the last few. Shrinking inventory has made it nearly impossible to find a quantity of titles worth getting. If you want to save an extra $5 on Oblivion though, this will be a good time to pick it up.
Old 06-22-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Man I am nearly out of upgraded dvds to trade in at this point
Old 06-22-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

With the recent re-configuring of the Media section, I doubt you're going to find anything good this time around. Most likely passing this time.
Old 06-22-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
With the recent re-configuring of the Media section, I doubt you're going to find anything good this time around. Most likely passing this time.
I agree. Re-configuring is an overly kind way of saying it. A better description would be "savage slashing". I agree that there won't be a whole lot of BD inventory to choose from during the next U&S which means the only thing that could save U&S is using Express Lane provided they still allow that. Of course at about 10 minutes per EL order I've placed (because the employees have to enter all your info every time, often ask how to do it, and then debate/ask a supervisor each time if U&S is still allowed on EL orders), if too many people are forced to do EL then it will be a massively long line... almost like when there are only 1 or 2 employees at CS who are handling 30-60 minute Geek Squad issues for people with PC problems. Only at BB can you be the next in line and still wait 30-60 minutes (of course I'm too impatient... I'll complain and/or give up after about 15 minutes).

But if you really want to know what I find most interesting about U&S it's this... on Blu Ray dot com the U&S thread is already 13 pages long and it's weeks away. Here we've got 5 whole posts. What happened to poor DVD Talk?
Old 06-22-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Several stores in my area currently have Batman Returns on Blu for $9.99. I hope that's still the case in a few weeks.
Old 06-22-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a couple new releases I might be tempted to grab with an extra $5 off but every time I've gone they get worse and worse. There are fewer bargain BR on the shelf at BB than teeth in the front row of a Willie Nelson concert
Old 06-22-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana

But if you really want to know what I find most interesting about U&S it's this... on Blu Ray dot com the U&S thread is already 13 pages long and it's weeks away. Here we've got 5 whole posts. What happened to poor DVD Talk?
To be fair to this site, most of those posts in that thread are repetitive and pretty useless to me. I don't really feel like sifting through pages of people going OT just to figure out which blurays are a good value to buy at Best buy for $5.
Old 06-22-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

My store still has a pretty good media selection. As hariseldon said, it all depends on the location. I think I live in an area where sales must still be pretty strong because I haven't seen any kind of reduction in media at the ones I've visited.
Old 06-22-13, 02:32 PM

Unfortunately, Chicago's stores fell victim to "consolidation" of media sections since the last U&S. Besides anything that is on sale and thus well stocked, I probably won't be picking up much
Old 06-22-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Man I am nearly out of upgraded dvds to trade in at this point
Same here..... haha
Old 06-22-13, 03:20 PM

Hopefully the WB steelbooks will still be $9.99 by the time this comes around.
Old 06-22-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's why I was surprised it wasn't on here yet.
Old 06-22-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with Manzana. I also think posting here on DVD TALK is way down, especially in recent months. I thought it was due to a general lack of bargains out there, but it must be more than that. The DVD Bargains section is like a ghost town now, but even this Blu section has diminished quite a bit. Has everyone moved to another place or is the hobby fading away?

As for the BB sale, it will be interesting to see if any good deals pop up.
Old 06-22-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Has everyone moved to another place or is the hobby fading away?
Both, actually.
Old 06-23-13, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

Pawn shops & Dollar Tree seem to be the last vestige of the bargains we were seeing a couple years ago. it's going to get worse; their WILL be an intenet VAT soon.

The BB here has more refrigerators than cd's & dvd's, Ross is out of the business & my Big Lots spending has gone from several hundred a month to $25 on a good month.

Oldies has the best selection but the prices are in line with 2006, not 2011.

On the other hand, people won't pay more than $4-$6 INCLUDING shipping for most titles on ebay, so I think the stores are likely getting out of the market because there is no market except collector's like us & new releases.
Old 06-23-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I have to agree with Manzana. I also think posting here on DVD TALK is way down, especially in recent months. I thought it was due to a general lack of bargains out there, but it must be more than that. The DVD Bargains section is like a ghost town now, but even this Blu section has diminished quite a bit. Has everyone moved to another place or is the hobby fading away?

As for the BB sale, it will be interesting to see if any good deals pop up.
I didn't check the entire thread at Blu-ray.com, but those 11 pages didn't really offer up much information. Mostly 100's of posts of people hoping to get xx title for $5. "Gee I hope they have __________ for $9.99 this time" How many times do I need to read that.

The fact is there are so few titles in inventory at so many stores compared to years past, it is tough to get to excited about the sale. I have another dozen or so titles I'll gladly trade but I know I'll be hard pressed to find half that many. Will probably just get a few new releases. Sleepless In Seattle and Oblivion most likely.
Old 06-23-13, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Aside from some Triple packs this sale has very little to offer. They simply up the pricw $5 and make you feel like you're getting a deal.
Old 06-23-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

All but one Best Buy store within thirty miles has mostly eliminated any deep stock of Blu-rays, so this sale becomes less and less tempting.

The Blu-ray.com threads quickly degenerate into pointless rambling and off-topic discussion, it seems to be a hangout spot for most of its posters rather than a forum trying to convey pertinent information. The average poster's age is much younger over there, so they've grown up on Twitter and Facebook.
Old 06-23-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True but apparently 13 pages of people over at BR.com feel there is plenty to discuss and we were noticing the difference. If we talk long enough about there being nothing to talk about, we can make it appear to be a compelling thread as well.
Old 06-23-13, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
All but one Best Buy store within thirty miles has mostly eliminated any deep stock of Blu-rays, so this sale becomes less and less tempting.

The Blu-ray.com threads quickly degenerate into pointless rambling and off-topic discussion, it seems to be a hangout spot for most of its posters rather than a forum trying to convey pertinent information. The average poster's age is much younger over there, so they've grown up on Twitter and Facebook.
Most are counting the hair under their armpits hoping to reach double digits. That's the age medium.
Old 06-23-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was being tongue-in-cheek. I will say I hope to at least find a couple titles I can upgrade so I can weed through more of this crap on the shelf and freshen things up a bit.
Old 06-23-13, 03:58 PM
Suspended

I might grab those Warmer 4 packs if they stay $20 (so $15). Aside from that, not much else for me. I've been converting my discs anyway so these multi-packs help.
Old 06-23-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm hoping for decent release week pricing on Evil Dead, Oblivion, and maybe G.I.Joe Retaliation, as I'm guessing none of the stores will get the Scream Factory releases of The Fog, and Swamp Thing. I had luck last time with an express lane order maybe I'll try that again too.
Old 06-23-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, in fairness...that other forum tends to be completely rabid whereas we're a more sedate group.

Originally Posted by JimRochester
There are fewer bargain BR on the shelf at BB than teeth in the front row of a Willie Nelson concert
I've been to a Willie Nelson concert. I stood in the front row. I was so close that I propped up my elbow on the stage and I was only about three feet away from Mickey Raphael, Willie's harmonica player. There were a lot of teeth in that front row.

Fun fact: That show also featured more women - many of them young - rushing the stage than all the other concerts I've been to put together.
Old 06-24-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a take-off of an old joke. I've been to country concerts before and yes, there are amazing numbers of beautiful women there in tank tops and daisy dukes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.