Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Neverwinter (MMORPG) F2P

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 08:10 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neverwinter (MMORPG) F2P

The F2P MMORPG Neverwinter just went into open beta recently. I downloaded it last night and put a couple of hours into it, and I had an absolute blast. I chose the Trickster Rogue class and the combat is very fun and fast paced. I am not a Dungeons and Dragons guru so I can't tell you if it does the license any justice but it is fun to play.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

Anyone else playing it?

for some reason i can't figure out how to embed this gameplay video, but here is the link at least

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_tdAHJIWFA

wlj

Last edited by wlj; 05-09-13 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-12-13, 08:11 AM
wlj

Re: Neverwinter (MMORPG) F2P

i am the only one playing? dammit, i was hoping to get some dvdtalkers to slay baddies with me.
Old 05-12-13, 09:54 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that actually looks amazing...how does the quests play? SP/COOP?
Old 05-12-13, 10:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Seems worth a shot. Downloading now...
Old 05-12-13, 10:25 AM
gamer for life

fuck it is downloading slow
Old 05-12-13, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
fuck it is downloading slow
Switch to the Torrent.
Old 05-12-13, 10:59 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by foxdvd
that actually looks amazing...how does the quests play? SP/COOP?

i am not far in it, but they are your run of the mill MMO quests. the game is fun and fast paced. i have guild wars 2 and it is better than it. it has alot of promise.
Old 05-12-13, 11:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone else having trouble signing up for an account?
Old 05-12-13, 11:47 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Anyone else having trouble signing up for an account?
I had problems recovering my password...I had an older account and forgot my password, and the recovery was brutal. Took about 20 minutes to get my password reset. After that I had no problem.

The game is a lot of fun. I made it to level 10 with my two handed warrior class. I can see this really being a time sink, especially with the fan made levels, which I have done 2 of so far. One of them was actually as good as something in the main game...the other was even better.
Old 05-13-13, 12:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Cryptic account through Star Trek Online, and they say I have to login through that and then create a Perfect World account, and link them. When I try to create the new account after logging in, it won't let me.
Old 05-13-13, 09:24 AM

I just skipped the step to merge the accounts, didn't seem to have an affect.

As for the game itself, it's surprisingly solid for a F2P entry. I haven't played a lot, but I find the gameplay engaging and fun...and interesting mix between a traditional MMO and an ARPG. The interface is a bit weird, where you have to toggle between playing the game and accessing the menus, but I think I can get used to it. I haven't tried the user-created content yet, but it's a great addition...especially given the "Neverwinter" name.

The graphics are sub-par, even with everything maxed out. The presentation of the world and characters are interesting, but nothing to write home about. My other complaint, as a cleric, is that playing as healer in a party is a bit wonky. When I select somebody and heal them, it's not clear what's going on. It seems to work, though. Maybe there's something in the interface I'm missing.

I haven't hit any of the pay stuff yet, so far everything's been free without restriction. But I'm assuming there's a wall at some point where it's difficult, if not impossible, to continue without ponying up for premium gear.
Old 05-13-13, 09:27 PM
gamer for life

as a huge fan of Neverwinter, I am going to give this a thumbs down after putting another few hours into it. Quest have nothing going for them. Combat is not as satisfying as I thought at first, and playing as a one handed fighter sucks. I thought about trying a different character, but I realized it was not doing it for me.
Old 05-14-13, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been playing for a week and it's fun enough, but at level 30 I am starting to see the limits of free play. Storage space for items is limited and you have to pay real money to expand your storage. Uber items are, of course, purchased with real money. It's the old "free to play, pay to win" paradigm. Still, for free, it's fun, especially with friends, but the quests do become samey after a while. The combat is ridiculously console-like, with flashy swipes and explosions and such. Hard to see WTF is actually happening as all the sparkly things collide and swing at each other. I just tune out and click, click, click and eventually the battle is over. Watch the ninja looters scurry about. It's pure LOL when a ninja looter triggers a mimic posing as a treasure chest, because the mimics hurt and often will kill or seriously hurt the ninja looter since everyone else in the party is occupied. The user-created content is interesting in theory, but I have disliked the few user-created quests I have tried. Lastly, the whole system for advancement seems very regimented and classes are cookie cutter simple. All in all, it's ok for free. No way I would ever spend real money on it.
Old 05-14-13, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may give this one a spin, but i have SO many other games i really want to play its not at the top of my list
Old 05-14-13, 09:11 AM
wlj

i am enjoying the game quite a bit, but i am having connectivity issues galore. i tried to put some time in yesterday, but I kept getting "server is not responding" every couple of minutes of gameplay, it was frustrating. All this started happening a couple of patches ago. Anyone else having issues?
Old 05-14-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty solid connection for me, even on my craptastic wireless network. The game hiccups occasionally in high lag areas but that's to be expected. Every once in a while someone drops from a group dungeon quest, maybe once every 5-6 quests.
Old 04-01-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This came out on the Xbox One this week. I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 05-10-15, 10:42 PM
gamer for life

I have about 30-40 hours in the xbox one version so far. I gave up on this on pc, but they have really improved the game since I played it. Easily the best F2P game since Warframe. They did a fantastic job mixing up the missions so they do not get repetitive like most MMOs...In fact, while it is not as good a game as Dragon Age Inquisition, the normal missions are much better..

I am constantly surprised by how mission after mission feels different.

I am doing the control wizard for my main character and while she was hard to start (my cleric was much easier) at level 38 she is now destroying.