TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans -- "Safe House" -- 4/03/13

Old 04-03-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
The Americans -- "Safe House" -- 4/03/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Episode 9 - "Safe House" (Airs April 3, 10:00 pm e/p) - Philip and Elizabeth are put to the test when a routine mission goes horribly wrong. Stan and the FBI are pushed to their limit when one of their own goes missing. Written by Joshua Brand; directed by Jim McKay.

Episode 9 of 13
Old 04-03-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Safe House" -- 4/03/13

What happened after Stan brought the guy hamburgers? My recording stopped at that point
Old 04-03-13, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
What happened after Stan brought the guy hamburgers? My recording stopped at that point
Mine started with that scene (I record the rerun due to DVR conflicts) and I thought I had missed a chunk of the episode in the recording.

As to that scene, he shot the guy.
Old 04-03-13, 10:46 PM
Banned

Another awesome episode.This show is becoming one of my favorites if not my favorite at the moment.

Loved the flashback scenes between Chris and Stan. We got to see a little bit of Chris' personality so far but they really gave you some great background on him tonight.

I wonder how long the 'separation' will last. I'm thinking not long with the daughter 'hating' Elizabeth and the son not paying attention in school.
Old 04-04-13, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

I might have missed something. What was the reason for the separation? Was it a legitimate marital problem or was it a way for the husband to spend more time with the CIA secretary?
Old 04-04-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

She is pissed off that he lied about sleeping with the woman when he went to that conference.
Old 04-04-13, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by windom
I might have missed something. What was the reason for the separation? Was it a legitimate marital problem or was it a way for the husband to spend more time with the CIA secretary?
He lied to her about sleeping with his ex from Russia. She told him they could continue together but they wouldn't be doing the whole marriage attempt thing they'd been doing. He said the KGB wouldn't care if they divorced, if that's what she wanted.
Old 04-04-13, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Damn my DVR cut off too as he was standing up at the end after they called number 7. I can't believe they killed off Amador.
Old 04-04-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Mine recording ended just as he shot the guy so at least I saw that. Missed anything else though. Probably some Russian conspiracy to keep us from timeshifting.
Old 04-04-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Have you been paying attention all season? Most of their marriage has been a sham the entire time, at least from Elizabeth's perspective. It was mostly a job to her and after a brief period where she wanted to give a real relationship a try, she now wants a divorce.

This was a perfect hour of dramatic television, one of the finest episodes on the air in the past year. Great acting all around the cast and the suspenseful plot never felt phony or coincidental. I also was surprised they killed off the FBI agent but if it drives his partner to go outside the lines of the law, it makes sense to the narrative.
Old 04-04-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Have you been paying attention all season? Most of their marriage has been a sham the entire time, at least from Elizabeth's perspective. It was mostly a job to her and after a brief period where she wanted to give a real relationship a try, she now wants a divorce.

This was a perfect hour of dramatic television, one of the finest episodes on the air in the past year. Great acting all around the cast and the suspenseful plot never felt phony or coincidental. I also was surprised they killed off the FBI agent but if it drives his partner to go outside the lines of the law, it makes sense to the narrative.
i think they will eventually address some of the things he did while undercover with white supremacists, and show he isn't a stranger to extra-legal actions.
Old 04-04-13, 03:30 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Mine cut off during the flashback with Amador talking about pussy. I assume it was the jogging diplomat that got shot?
Old 04-04-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Mine cut off during the flashback with Amador talking about pussy. I assume it was the jogging diplomat that got shot?
Yeah, he brought him a hamburger and let him have a couple of bites, then asked him if he wanted something to drink. KGB said yes, so Stan got up and started walking to the kitchen, turned around and capped him in the back of the head.
Old 04-04-13, 03:48 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
Yeah, he brought him a hamburger and let him have a couple of bites, then asked him if he wanted something to drink. KGB said yes, so Stan got up and started walking to the kitchen, turned around and capped him in the back of the head.
Old 04-04-13, 09:05 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Did you miss the end of this Wednesday’s deadly The Americans?

FX has made the episode available on its website following a listings error that caused many viewers’ DVRs to cut it off with seven minutes still to go. (It ran from 10 to 11:07 pm.)

“Safe House,” the installment in question, will be available online at FXNetworks.com until May 15.

Meanwhile, some advance warning: Next Wednesday’s episode, “Only You,” will end at 11:03 pm.

“The error is regrettable and I apologize to all the loyal fans of The Americans who were cheated out of the full viewing experience of one of the most important episodes so far this season,” John Solberg, FX’s SVP of media relations said in a statement. “I hope the viewers whose DVRs failed to capture the final seven minutes of the episode will take advantage of the opportunity to watch the encore run on FXNetworks.com and see the spectacular ending.”
Old 04-04-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

My DVR definitely cut off the last few minutes. The most important episode of the series to date and the marketing people can't get the listings correct.
Old 04-05-13, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts

Damn, cut off too. 7 fucking minutes were cut off? That's a major fuck up.

The only thing that seemed weird to me is that if his FBI partner was such a ladies man, why was he obsessed with the secretary.
Old 04-05-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe because he's growing up?

Awesome episode and I feel bad for anyone that missed the "KGB" guy getting shot. It was epic. I've been looking for an animated gif of it, but haven't found one yet.
Old 04-05-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog

The only thing that seemed weird to me is that if his FBI partner was such a ladies man, why was he obsessed with the secretary.
I dont think its obsession. I think he just thought something was fishy about her... remember last episode when he 'scared' her in the director's office. He had that weird look on his face afterwords like "something is up".
Old 04-05-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by xfusejc
Mine started with that scene (I record the rerun due to DVR conflicts) and I thought I had missed a chunk of the episode in the recording.

As to that scene, he shot the guy.
Originally Posted by csant
I dont think its obsession. I think he just thought something was fishy about her... remember last episode when he 'scared' her in the director's office. He had that weird look on his face afterwords like "something is up".
If I remember previous episodes, he was hitting on her constantly.
Old 04-05-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember previous episodes, he was hitting on her constantly.
Yeah, I got the impression that he was really into her and not that he was suspicious of her. He didn't attack "Clark" because he thought he was a spy, he attacked him as a jealous boyfriend would seeing a man coming out of his woman's apartment.
Old 04-05-13, 09:40 AM
Banned

Chris may or may not have been obsessed with Martha. I don't think he was. He just liked flirting with her because he had been with her and knew he could do it again or at least try. That is part his ladies man character is not being committed to one woman but know that you can or think you can go back to the woman you were once with. He liked her and thought he could get it again but not be boyfriend-girlfriend. Martha is obviously very needy, vulnerable with men especially with her falling in love with "Phillip" so quickly so you can see why Chris thought he could get in there over and over again..
Old 04-05-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

It wasn't seven minutes. My DVR recorded an extra 3 minutes, but I guess the show ran an extra 4 after that, but it also had credits. I would say I missed about 2 minutes of actual show. As soon as they called number seven, and he got up, that's where my recording ended. I missed him picking up the food, talking to the KGB kid, and then killing him.

I appreciate FX letting us watch it right away on their network though. I think that's a really great move on their part.
Old 04-05-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I agree, another great episode and the series highlight for Noah Emerich. A really tense, engrossing hour. I'll miss Chris, but it was probably needed to give the show a real sense of character jeopardy.

The regent is going to be mighty pissed when he finds out that Phillip and Elizabeth had Amador without his knowledge and let him die in their care. This won't go well.
Old 04-06-13, 09:24 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Great episode this week. One of my favorites thus far. Thankfully my recording didn't cut it short...that would have been frustrating.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.