View Single Post
Old 03-25-13, 06:39 PM   #17
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: List thread for Fourth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30

Goal: 60
Legend
First Time Views *
Watched With Wife *
- March 31st -
1.)
Black Samson (1974) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: So I have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed. Perhaps because this one was touted as being a must see in the main thread. The lion was a fun element but you could tell he was drugged up a lot or being fed snacks. I can only imagine the awesome lion related stories that a commentary for this movie could have had. Otherwise the movie was a bit by the numbers, evil white guys, hot white girl that comes to appreciate the black lead, ect. I did really like the psycho evil white guy and the climax of the movie was epic enough to bump this one up to above average.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 1st -
2.)
Shadow Zone (1990) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Ah, now this is my kind of B-Movie! Low budget 80's/90's sci-fi; boobs, puppet creatures, Lo Pan, monkey's, computers that can answer questions/make guesses. We almost have that last one with Siri but it's still not up to the point that 80's sci-fi promised. The movie is a lovely slurry of other Sci-Fi properties in much the same way Leviathan was. It does drags a bit in the end but delivers on the intrigue and some interesting Lovcraftian vibes. A fine representation of Full Moon's 'A' material.
(4 out of 5)
- April 2nd -
3.)
Killjoy (2000) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: WTF? Seriously Full Moon, how could you go in just a decade from making decent movies like Shadowzone to making this kind of trash? It is rare that I give out my lowest possible score of 1 out of 5 but this movie has nothing going for it. Strike that, one pair of nice tits but otherwise this is essentially trash. I find it a travesty that this film has 3 sequels and even worse that I own 2 of them (even if they were free).
(1 out of 5)
4.)
The Marine (2006) (TV) *
My Thoughts: I remember seeing trailers for this, seeing it stared a WWF type and thinking that it was probably just mindless red state exploitative trash. And it was. But I caught the first part on tv and it was so ridiculous that I just had to keep watching. There are some indestructible cars, buildings that explode way more then they should, 3 or 4 jumping in front of explosion shots and Robert Patrick as the villain was fun but they played it a little too loose with the 4th wall. In the end it really is just what you think it is, kind of like those 90's Seagal movies except made today.
(3 out of 5)
5.)
The Exterminator (1980) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Great movie, an excellent companion piece to Maniac. Set in a grimy 80's New York, a Vietnam vet gets pushed to far and decides to take the law into his own hands. The slow burn/prep moments are really effective here, which is something I only point out as this seems to detract and throw other movies out of rhythm. Quite a pleasant surprise, now I am defiantly looking forward to the squeal here later in the challenge.
(4.5 out of 5)
- April 3rd -
6.)
Commentary For The Exterminator (1980) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: An interesting track, lots of bits about the MPAA, shooting in New York, penises/legs on the wall. One interesting notion was that the director, clearly who had no part in the sequel, said he liked to think that First Blood was the real spiritual sequel to The Exterminator. And a fairly recent topical track at that as at one point Avatar is brought up. Well worth a listen.
(4 out of 5)
7.)
Killjoy 2 (2002) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Well, another pile of shit from Full Moon. This one is not near as bad as the first one and hits a lot closer to the Leprechaun In The Hood vibe that this series was aiming for. And I'll even give it another half star for having a movie specific tie-in song over the credits.
(2 out of 5)
8.)
Ninja Powerforce (1988) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Hey!?! This isn't a ninja movie! It is a standard Hong Kong hood movie with several scenes of white people dressed a ninja outfits and acting ridiculously spliced in. And I am talking white people in banana yellow and crayon red ninja costumes here. While it is a horrible Frankenstein piece of celluloid it does come out as passible and even a bit humorous in the distributions company's editing audacity.
(3 out of 5)
- April 4th -
9.)
42nd Street Forever Vol 5: Alamo Drafthouse (2009) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: I don't really go in for trailer collections on the principal that they spoil too much. But I had heard so many good things about this series, and have developed quite a soft spot for the Alamo Drafthouse after all the cool things they have sold me for my walls, that I decided to give it a go. And I was not disappointed, it's a different experience from a movie, alway at climax no time to recoup but it works quite well. I could have gone for a few more non-trailer items in the mix but still a highly enjoyable experience. Also I made a list of 17 titles to procure (if possible) while watching.
(4 out of 5)
10.)
Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade (1978) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: Another fun sexy travelog with Black Emanuelle. This time to Kenya, New York and San Diego, I do hope one day to be as well traveled as Laura Gemser. This one felt a bit paint by numbers compared to the outings in the first box set. But still lots of sex and the lovely Mrs Gemser constantly naked makes this an enjoyable, if not wholly unoriginal, experience.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Sexy Emanuelle... and I guess she get the tanned, skin looks different than last time. I can guess what is going to happen because all stories are same; she get involved something then she get raped then she has sex again. They need to make better story but I enjoy Africa scene, I enjoy animal.
(3 out of 5)
- April 5th -
11.)
Ninja Phantom Heroes (1987) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: This, like the last "Ninja" movie I watched, is a Ninjas added later affair. The took another, less entertaining, Chinese mafia movie and pasted in scenes of white guys dressed like Ninja's doing lame martial arts. Overall I was mostly bored but the last 5 minutes did migrate into 'so bad it's good' territory, but only the last 5 minutes.
(2.5 out of 5)
12.)
The Grand Duel (1972) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Hey, it's that song from Kill Bill! And the guy that is The Bad from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly! And this was actually a really good Spaghetti Western. I must admit to lowered expectations after the last Mill Creek Spaghetti Western 2 pack BR, but this one alone was worth the cost of admission.
(4 out of 5)
- April 6th -
13.)
Killjoy 3 (2010) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Well color me surprised, this one was even better than the last one. Still not in the range of a passable movie but at the rate these are improving Killjoy 7 is set up to be a masterpiece. They branched away from the Leprechaun dynamic here and brought in Hellraiser and Nightmare on Elm Street and a much better cast and got something not awful. The Harley Quinn-ish demon clown was even kind of hot in a weird way. And I don't think I would ever have envisioned myself saying this but I am looking forward to the next one.
(2.5 out of 5)
14.)
Three The Hard Way (1974) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Honkey's found a toxin that will only kill black people and there is only 3 bad ass brothers who can stop him. Blaxploitation at it's finest, car chases/crashes, nudity, kung-fu and a bunch of evil crackers. I was actually called a cracker just last month and the only thing that really came to mind was this challenge and wanting to see some good Blaxploitation of which this one one delivered on.
(4 out of 5)
15.)
Screaming In High Heels (2011) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Subtitle: The Rise & Fall of the Scream Queen Era. I got this as a prize during the OHMC and it was amazing. Now I feel I must preface this with the fact that it has to be something you are into but if you are then buy it buy it buy it! The doc focuses on the the three main Scream Queens, Linnea Quigley, Michelle Bauer & Brinke Stevens, the uptick and downfall of the independent video market and even the convention scene. Everything covered here had a profound effect on my youth and I loved reliving all of it. And I can't believe how many clips were shown from movies I have yet to acquire. I feel i am getting a litter hyperbolic at this point but this has easily supplanted Never Sleep Again as my favorite horror retrospective.
(5 out of 5)
16.)
Golden Ninja Invasion (1987) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: First off there are no golden ninja's in this movie. There are Red Sun Ninjas and a Blue Ninja. The ladder a white guy edited into the movie. This time they at least had some interaction with the edited in guy via having him always being on the other end of the phone. Then there is the music which directly steals songs from horror movies, it is really weird to be watching an action movie where they are constantly playing the Nightmare on Elm Street theme. The whole movie is really just an incoherent mess but it really fits the challenge and would lend it's self well to Rifftrakery. It was at least interesting trash.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 7th -
17.)
The World Sinks Except Japan (2006) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: So I was kind of expecting a sci-fi end of the world destruction extravaganza here and yeah not so much. It was more of a dark goofy political comedy about the plague of foreigners that are forced to take up residents in Japan after the rest of the world sinks. Kind of degrading, kind of funny and an interesting look into the Japanese culture's psyche in regards to "foreigners".
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Very strange/creepy and I'm sure this movie didn't do well foreign country except Japan. But they use ok actor Japanese wise but foreigner very low budget.
(3 out of 5)
18.)
Famous T & A (1982) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: It seems like it would be hard to mess up a boob compilation. But they did. There is some nice nudity here but also a lot of scenes which out of context are really boring and there is way too much focus on a bright red sun-brunt ass. The best part of this one was the Charles Band intro but since that is on ever Grindhouse release it's not much of a selling point.
(2 out of 5)
19.)
Video Violence 2 (1987) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: Big step down from the original, no mystery here this time just a continuation of the snuff TV show that was only just bearable in the first movie. This time it stretched the length of the feature and I think played a pretty big part in my headache tonight.
(1.5 out of 5)
My Wife'sThoughts: It was so boring the first 1 hour I almost fall asleep and seems like home video taping it's not like movie, I can make it. The last 20 minutes were good but I can give them 2 star because it was sucked.
(2 out of 5)
- April 8th -
20.)
Wacky Taxi (1972) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A dingy little comedy about the ups and downs of the unlicensed taxi business. Only mildly entertaining and ultimately forgettable if not for the lead played by tv's Gomez Adams. But it was the pallet cleansing change of pace I was wanting.
(3 out of 5)
- April 9th -
21.)
Keoma (1976) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Django as a hippy halfbreed do-gooder. Couple that with a lot of weird and this one didn't quite work for me. Reminded me of Fistful Of Dynamite with a more by the number plot.
(3 out of 5)
- April 10th -
22.)
In Like Flint (1967) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Flints back and this time he has to stop an organization of power hungry women from taking over the world. The character is still a lovable asshole (reminds me a lot of Archer (a brainier Archer)) but they go a bit too far into the comedy aspect this time and it often falls flat. Such as a scene were he is suppose to be singing in a foreign language but really just saying 'La La La La' whilst a red star is bouncing across equally non-sensical foreign words on the bottom of the screen. Still an entertaining outing with interesting parallels to future Bond movies.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 11th -
23.)
Lonely Wives (1972) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A surprisingly good German housewife sexploitation. Funny, sexy, everything you want out of one of these movie and those German girls, not guilty. On a DVD production note; Code Red, what is up with the menus? You already have this great Drive-In them for the package but the menus for these say Septic Cinema and have crappy rendered crap on them, wtf? I am guessing that was the original theme and you never bothered to change it prior to release, how could you think Septic Cinema would sell? 'I know lets equate the movies we are selling to fecal matter', I mean come on Code Red!
(4 out of 5)
- April 12th -
24.)
Vigilante (1983) (Blu-Ray) **
My Thoughts: This movie blew me away. Very similar to The Exterminator except just a little bit better in every way. I remember watching the opening and thinking 'oh man something horrible is going to happen to that family, they are having much too good of a wholesome time in New York'. So far this is my front runner for best of challenge.
(5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Good, but I need little more story around the ending. Because he just killed 2 people come on, he suppose to get back with wife, better story, better ending. Demo very scary and good suspense.
(3.5 out of 5)
25.)
Viva Django (1968) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A decent knockoff and while not technically a better movie than Keoma I did like it better. This time Django is a hangman who collects a posse by faking the deaths of the people he is hanging. I was initially a little disappointed coming out of the original Django but I am on board now, bring on the clones. On a release note; the set this came in labels this as Viva Django but it actually appears to be Django, Prepare A Coffin, also pictureboxed, grrrr.
(3.5 out of 5)
26.)
Hot Potato (1976) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: I am not sure if this really even qualifies as a blaxploitation title anymore, it's more of an enable action adventure comedy. Basically Black-Belt Jones goes to Thailand. I really enjoyed this one, American movies set abroad really resonate with me for some reason. White guys with Asian girls perhaps? Or it could have been somewhat influenced by the 10 point beer... But I think the think I really liked the most that whitey wasn't the bad guy!
(4 out of 5)
- April 13th -
27.)
Savage Island (1985) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: An interesting hodgepodge, apparently Charles Band bought a foreign 'woman jungle slaves' type movie and then shot a day with Linda Blair and edited the two together into a less than cohesive story. By themselves I probably would have enjoyed both movies, together they mutually detracted from the other. Still an interesting idea, someday I would like to watch this with someone who didn't know the background behind to gauge their reaction.
(2.5 out of 5)
- April 14th -
28.)
Superargo (1968) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Not to be confused, like I did, with Argoman. Since they are both seemingly based on the same character I wonder if this is a foreign comic book or something? In this one he is a ex-wrestler turned telepathic crime stopper. It has overtones of bad 50's robot/alien movies an evil layer set in what is clearly a tourist attraction cave, overall very on the nose for the challenge I just was, unfortunately, not in the right frame of mind to really enjoy it this time. But I'll give it another chance in a decade or so.
(3 out of 5)
29.)
Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except (1987) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: This one of those movies that I picked up over and over again in stores but never actually purchased. And that is probably for the best as if I had seen it outside of the context of this challenge I think I would have been very disappointed, especially with the names attached. Otherwise it's marines vs crazed hippies and while it is a bit slow to climax and painfully low budget, there is some shlocky fun to be had here. I am kind of amazed that this is a movie I now own on blu-ray.
(3 out of 5)
- April 15th -
30.)
Commentary For Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except (1987) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Kind of a flat track but given the source material you can't really blame them. Also it has Bruce Campbell and even Bruce Campbell not being terribly interesting makes it still better than most tracks. Highlights include ragging on Sam Raimi, Bruce saying things like "thats my foot in that insert, you can tell by how well it was acted" and some interesting things about the woes of a low budget production. Not a phenomenal track but still slightly better than the movie.
(3 out of 5)
31.)
Blackie The Pirate (1971) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Hey! How did this pirate movie get in my spaghetti western 10 pack? I guess since it stars Terrance Hill but still. It is actually a decent pirate movie, just caught me off guard when I was expecting a western.
(3.5 out of 5)
32.)
Riot On 42nd St (1987) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: There was something about this movie that hit me just right. The music, the actors, the tits, crime ridden New York, in the 80's it seemed to be a recipe for success. Instead of having a lead walk by the seedy strip clubs this one is about owning and operating said seedy strip clubs! On the DVD production side; this host Maria is no Elvira but still way way better than the Septic Cinema theme they had going with previous releases.
(4 out of 5)
33.)
Bad Girls Dormitory (1986) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: I really wanted to love this but it just didn't work. The girls weren't pretty enough or good enough actors they were naked frequently but more for quantity's sake. Also, not something I rag on often, but the editing was awful, they lingered on scenes way way too long, probably in an effort to boost screen time but it just really started to annoy me. I will give the host props fro hating on it a bit but she should have been much much harsher.
(2.5 out of 5)
- April 16th -
34.)
Tedeum (1972) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A good sleazy western comedy with Curley from City Slickers playing a lecherous monk impersonator. You don't see many land scam western comedies. This one hit a good chord with me and has made me a bit more optimistic about this Spaghetti Western Bible DVD set.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 17th -
35.)
King Frat (1979) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A super low brow Animal House knock off. Which I might have liked if 90% of the jokes weren't about shitting and farting. They even go so far as to have an on stage farting competition. There was about 20 minutes of entertainment here though and the King Frat song is still stuck in my head. On a DVD production note (seems I am making a lot of these in regards to Code Red properties): You couldn't get one screen grab or anything from this movie? You just had to use your face (Code Red owner) on the cover? Really?
(2 out of 5)
More →
Part II Or Scroll ↓

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-22-15 at 09:06 PM.