DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

SNATCH... reviews?

Old 06-11-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
It comes out tomorrow. Why can't I find any reviews of the dvd?
Old 06-11-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...because nobody cared enough to go to the trouble of writing yet another review of "Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels"...?

. . .
Old 06-11-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

not for the film, but for the extras and the A/V quality.
It is a 2-disc set, after all.
Old 06-11-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you're mistaken. I believe "Snatch" comes out July 3rd. Unless you are speaking of an adult film with the same name. If so, my mistake.
Old 06-11-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope,
just click on the comming soon banner, above, and you'll see: June 12, Snatch, 20.96 w/ a link to amazon.
Old 06-11-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oops,
you're right. It's July 3rd. The Coming Soon page is wrong.
Old 06-11-01, 05:16 PM

July 3. Great flick, though.
Old 06-11-01, 05:32 PM
Banned

best movie of this year.. and possibly last year, hands down; no contest...
Old 06-11-01, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...because nobody cared enough to go to the trouble of writing yet another review of "Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels"...?

. . .
Old 06-12-01, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by MaXYYYY
That's hilarious!
Old 06-12-01, 11:54 PM

I've been wanting to post this review for months. I wrote it for the theatrical release, but the webmaster of the site I used to write for just sort of stopped updating. It's not my best review, but I'm proud of it because I imagine no one else referenced J.J. Binks in a review of this film. Here's what I thought back in January:

Snatch (2000) Rated R

Director Guy Ritchie takes us on another trip through the London underworld in this story about stolen diamonds, underground boxing matches, gangsters, and gypsies. Yes gypsies. Brad Pitt plays one, and his dialect is so bizarre you’ll think Jar Jar Binks was speaking the Queen’s English. Ritchie weaves two plots, one involving a variety of thieves who all want the same 84-karat diamond, the other about unlicensed boxing matches. The two plots come together when three of the most inept thieves in cinematic history get their hands on the diamond, and in the process catch the attention of Brick Top, the local crime boss who fixes the boxing matches, and Cousin Avi, in town from New York to find the diamond. There’s too much going on and too many characters for a brief summary, but there are characters with names like Frankie Four Fingers, Bullet Tooth Tony, and Boris the Blade, so you know it’s going to be fun. There are more than enough laugh-out-loud moments, but Ritchie skillfully balances those with some very dark scenes that remind us that this story is about brutal criminals. Ritchie has some nice tricks up his sleeve this time—the bloody, bare-knuckle fight at the end of the film is brilliantly shot, as is the opening heist, viewed largely through security cameras. The cast is solid, particularly Jason Statham as Turkish, Dennis Farina (who still says the “f” word better than any actor in the business) as Cousin Avi, and Pitt, who’ll have you in stitches in almost every scene he’s in, but also shows the intensity to carry the films darkest moments. B+

Old 06-13-01, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MaXYYYY

Er, oookaaayy....
Old 06-28-01, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[In the voice of David Spade] Snatch was a good movie, but I liked it a whole lot better the first time I saw it....when it was called Lock & Stock.[/In the voice of David Spade]

But seriously, Snatch is much better than LS&2SB.....so if you liked Lock & Stock, you definitly need Snatch.
Old 07-08-01, 07:49 PM

I love Snatch. It's great! Best purchase of the week. It shocks me how many people on this forum dislike Snatch.
Old 07-08-01, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

must have dvd buy it and set it between matrix and fight club
Old 07-09-01, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by hypeiv
must have dvd buy it and set it between matrix and fight club
Well..... now I wouldn't go that far, but it was quite entertaining. It is fun and well paced. I purchased for $16.99 at Best Buy. Great deal on a very good DVD. I would go as far to say that it is in the top 20% of movies that are made.

It was better than LS&2SB.
Old 07-11-01, 12:59 AM

Do you have anything to declare?

Yeah, don't go to Fu*king England!
Old 07-11-01, 10:40 AM

I watched Lock Stock and Two smoking barrels last night and it was nothing like Snatch. Whoever said they are the same movie either hasn't seen or just likes to b*tch.
Old 07-11-01, 02:16 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO, it was a very good movie. Made my top film list @ #103. I just ordered the disc, and will give my opinion in a few days. Peace.
Old 07-16-01, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Moogz
I love Snatch. It's great! Best purchase of the week. It shocks me how many people on this forum dislike Snatch.
Funny...I normally dont pay for snatch...there just aren't many dark corners in my neighbourhood. Tell me where did you purchase this "Snatch" and for how much??
Old 07-16-01, 09:51 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by finstaa
Funny...I normally dont pay for snatch...there just aren't many dark corners in my neighbourhood. Tell me where did you purchase this "Snatch" and for how much??
I live in NYC so Snatch is easier to get for me.

Seriously, I watched the movie the other day and while the video isnt the greatest, the audio is superb. It's intense and aggressive. The extras are plentiful and funny. If you like the movie at all, buy this set.
Old 07-23-01, 04:34 PM

Commentary

I really enjoyed the commentary. These are the kind im a fan of. More reminiscing and not too much boring technical stuff. At one point they it seems they are given a scolding to stick on the subject so they start reading off some paper and then suddenly are back to just talking. Personally, these are the ones that i enjoy more.
Old 09-20-02, 08:26 AM

I seem to have the advantage of never seeing LS&TSB, or recalling that the director is married to you-know-who.

So some random thoughts:
A. I haven't laughed so hard at mayhem and bloodshed in my entire life. Except maybe "Porky's" way back when.
B. Benicio Del Toro as Franky Four Fingers will have you whistling "Viva Las Vegas" and he needed way more screen time.
C. Brad Pitt as Mickie O'Neil never loses a beat as the cockiest cockney gypsy ever born - all the while making us believe he really is a Momma's boy.
D. Jason Statham as Turkish and Stephen Graham as Tommy are perfect in their rolls of "Boy, am I in way over my head" promoters trying to stay alive.
E. I haven't heard so much name calling since grade school. This movie has some of the most inventive and long winded insults ever heard.
F. Everything is a circle-what goes around comes around-you reap what you sow-greed breeds more greed-and don't trust anybody who owns a pig farm!
G. Unless you're English don't watch this film without the subtitles. As Dennis Farina as Avi says, "If this is the Queen's English why can't I understand a *****ing word?"
H. Rade Serbedzija playing a Russian gun-runner living in English Harlem pretending to be John Wayne.

I would compare the flavor of this movie more to "Dusk to Dawn" or "Trainspotting" or "Jeepers Creepers". Even "Two Days in the Valley" will give you an idea of the way Richie plays with time and space.

There is absolutely no sex in this movie unless you count the constant referral to the changing size of various character's balls. If you try to take the movie at all seriously you will be disappointed. The carnage is just over the top enough that you can relax into the joke and enjoy it as a fantasy - we know no one really gets hurt here.

The fight scenes are choreographed like a music video.
The scene that has Pitt floating in water after a particularly hard hit is right out of "The Big Lebowski" - talk about straight to fantasy land. But this is not a complaint - the segues work. Just don't think you can walk away in the middle of this movie and have a clue as to what is happening when you come back.

Highly recommend to the strong of stomach and deaf to the F word ear, and lover of the belly laugh.

Last edited by journeywoman; 09-20-02 at 08:36 AM.