Upgrade and Save coming back! 1/13 - 2/2

Old 12-31-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Upgrade and Save coming back! 1/13 - 2/2

Stolen from Slickdeals

Rules
Spoiler:

Best Buy Bluray "Upgrade and Save" returns 1/13/2013 - 2/2/2013 "$5 off Bluray for trading DVDs"
For those have participated before the expected Upgrade and Save will be starting in 2 weeks. For those who have not, this can be a pretty good program to trade some old DVDs for $5 coupons to
buy Blurays pretty cheaply It looks like a full 3 weeks this time. Assuming all past rules apply this is the program

FAQ and the usual YMMV applies -- there are lot of different scenarios for this program and it seems each store and each manager seems to have a different playbook

BEST BUY UPGRADE AND SAVE PROGRAM -- Begins January 13 2013 through the end of business February 2, 2013

1) Trade in ANY DVD for a $5 credit toward purchase of ANY $9.99+ Bluray in stock at Best Buy B&M. This is basically an instore only deal.

-- Limit 5 per visit. Per visit is most often interpreted as 5 per day per customer, but many people have just walked out and come back in immediately or later the same day with 5 more discs. Plenty of people have done far
more than 5 at a single visit as long as the store allows the exception.

-- No stacking of coupons. A Single $5 discount coupon is allowed per Bluray or Bluray boxset (it may be the only rule I've never seen stretched). A boxset of 3 movies will not allow 3 coupons.

-- Most of the time the coupons have an expiration date co-coinciding with the last day of the program so you can't save them and use them next month.

2) Trade in DVDs do not have to be same title as Bluray. Boxsets are most often counted as 1 DVD so if you bring is a set with 4 movies in one case then you will likely be given 1 coupon and not a coupon for each disc.
If your set has for cases in a boxset, just toss the box. If you have a TV series with 5 cases, bring them in as individual pack and not as a set. This works best if each case has a UPC code (S1, Disc 1). I've also found
that if you bring in a bunch of discs of the same season, same show then some clerks will balk so best idea is to bring 1 (slim)case from each set and make another trip later or be prepared to discuss the details.

3) DVD must be a commercially produced discs (no burned copies)

4) No adult DVD that are specifically XXX content whether they are rated XXX or not.

5) Discs are supposed to have the original case and artwork and the discs are meant to be at least presentable -- the disc at least should look like it can be played. Many stores require the UPC to be intact. Some stores
check things pretty closely (right disc, right case, right UPC, disc condition) and others just toss the case into the recycle bin without any screening. In reality discs in anything that look like regular case are often accepted
by some stores including those is Blockbuster/3rd party cases with rental stickers and and nowhere near original artwork and UPC.

** Are HDDVD or HD-DVD combo packs eligible. This has been a YMMV issue and some places people have been given credit for both type discs, others only if it was a combo, and some stores refused to consider it
at all for the trade-in. If you run into this issue either try a different store or call 1-800 BESTBUY and see if they can clarify the issue for you or your Store Manager.

6) Bluray -- all current and new release Bluray priced $9.99 or above should be included. Music Blurays have been included since the April 2012 program which is different than previous sales. Preorders are not included.
Discs not in store can sometimes be ordered from BBY.com and some managers will apply a coupon to that item, but ....

7) Each store in the past had there own logistics of how to work the program. Most stores would make you stop at the entry and have your used discs stamped/marked/taped.

-- Many stores had you bring the used DVD to the Service desk, check them out to make sure they met criteria and gave the customer a preprinted coupon(s) with a receipt attached to the coupon/barcode. Some stores
gave the customer a Copied sheet of paper with the UPC bar code and attached receipt to 'activate' the sheet of paper. The coupon could them be exchanged at the regular register for the Bluray you were purchasing and
the barcode automatically deducted the $5 at sale. This allowed you to take your coupons out of the store and purchase later. The expiration date on the official coupon is usually the last day of the sale. . If you are given
a coupon with a receipt attached do not detach them or your coupon may well be disallowed.

-- Some stores required you to bring/leave your DVD at the Customer Service desk, then bring your Blurays to the Service desk to complete the purchase. No coupons were given out so you had to exchange and purchase
the discs the same day.

-- Some stores would allow you to trade your DVD for a coupon at the Service Desk, but each coupon was marked/Dated and you were told it was only valid for the date on the coupon and in that specific store. [Only had
this happen once and I have no idea what would have happened if I took the coupon to a different store or brought it back to the same store later.]

8) Discounts should be taken from the actual Selling Price of the Bluray on the day of purchase despite the fine print on the coupon saying "Discount taken from Regular Price." This has and will likely continue to be a
contentious point until corporate absolutely clarifies the issue or changes the language. BBY ads often show discs with Sale Prices and then subtract the $5 U&S coupon so logically that should apply to all other discs.

9) Price matching and also using $5 coupon is a big YMMV since this can be most certainly considered combining offers or double dipping much in the same way that PM and getting a gift card for purchase is often considered
doubling up. Since the U&S is considered a Store coupon it should be applied to the price before trying to PM unlike a Manufacturers coupon (this difference is spelled out very specifically in Target and other stores coupon
use policy, but not specifically in BBY policy).

10) There should be absolutely no arguments about using Reward Zone certificates during purchase.

11) Additional Manufacturers Coupons SHOULD BE allowed and should be considered the same as cash or a gift card on top of the $5 Promo. This doesn't mean it won't be argued and it certainly doesn't mean it will
be accepted, but according the Best Buy's own Corporate Reps, the use of MQ should never be questioned whether it's a sales price or pricematch or promo.

Multiple times the Best Buy Corporate Employees have had to repeat the phrase "The store should honor the coupon, even with the price match. Any valid manufacturer’s coupon displaying the manufacturer’s address,
a barcode, and labeled as a Manufacturer’s coupon at the top should be accepted on the product listed, regardless of the price." If there are any issues call the 1-800 number in store and ask for a ruling (unfortunately
this often ends up being decided "Manager runs his own store in his own way" unless it just flat out violates some policy. BBY.com community forums are the best place to take issues and often will be decided in
the customers favor with credits and RZ given to cover the missed discounts. Yelling and screaming in the store is not going to win you any arguments in store even if you are correct and will likely get security involved
and irritate everybody else in the store.

12) Buying a disc this week in hopes of applying the coupon next week will work, but it should work as a return/Rebuy so if the price is higher next week it may not always save you money. As usual there is some YMMV
whether some stores will allow you to repurchase the same disc unless the store has current stock. The same can be said of ordering discs online for pick up at the store -- some stores have allowed a return/rebuy to
add the coupon and some stores have refused to do this.

13) Only USED DVD or HDDVD movies are normally allowed as trade in. . Best Buy is only supposed to accept used DVDs, so make sure the DVD(s) you're bringing in to trade are unwrapped. They will sometimes
refuse to accept them if they're sealed. If you find some sealed DVD cheap and bring them to the store sealed, there have been issues. The easiest thing to do is just open them

14) Where to find cheap DVDs: If you don't have any spare DVDs laying around that you wish to part with, there are a variety of places to find cheap DVDs for less than $1-$2 each. Pawn shops, thrift stores, garage sales,
flea markets, dollar stores, and Ebay Several people have had success at Dollar Tree, where select DVDs can be found for 25 cents, and some titles even for 1 cent. *Disclaimer* Finding these 25/1 cent DVDs
is a YMMV situation. Some stores have them, some don't. Some BBY stores have balked at accepting these essentially throwaways in slim cases or cardboard sleeves though technically they are commercially
manufactured and in their original cases so you should prevail..

Bringing 5 of the exact same item in for trade in -- often these cheapo discs can raise some eyebrows so if you can divide them up and bring in 5 different items it will go smoother though not to say it won't work

15) Most people have failed at trading in Blurays for coupons even if there is a DVD in the case.

16) If you have a multidisc DVD with those removable trays for extra disc, it is best if you just bring in the case with the tray out and you can keep the extra disc (cool for bonus material). Empty disc trays do raise suspicion
at the service desk.

17) Nobody knows exactly what happens to the old discs and cases. The official word is they are recycled at some national recycling center -- whether this means they are donated to charities for a tax deduction,
sold to 3rd party resellers, or just destroyed is murky.
Old 12-31-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Upgrade and Save coming back! 1/13 - 2/2

Starts on my birthday so I'm sure I'll be in for at least a couple discs during the promotion
Old 12-31-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Picked up a bunch of cheap dvds to trade in months ago. So I'm stocked and ready. I just hope they have a lot of the cheap Warner blus in store that are set for release tomorrow. Most of the SKU numbers on the titles I searched for indicated that they weren't being carried in store.
Old 12-31-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweetness!
Old 12-31-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not sure I'm really that excited this time. I spent way more than I wanted to during BF. Hopefully the steelbooks will be on sale for 9.99 so I can do a return/rebuy. Otherwise, this is bound to cost me a fortune!
Old 12-31-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Awesome!
Old 12-31-12, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good!!!! I got way too many extras after upgrading some movies recently....
Old 12-31-12, 06:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Unless there's a ton of newer catalog titles available, I'll probably spend very little this round. I went nuts with the U&S a couple of years ago, and now I'm spending less and less each round. But I am glad Best Buy is sticking with these.
Old 12-31-12, 07:02 PM

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

It'd be awesome if those WB three-packs were still 9.99 by then. Also, Jackson's King Kong and The Breakfast Club are each currently 9.99.
Old 12-31-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be awesome if Best Buy stocked all those formerly Paramount now WB releases but not counting on it.
Old 12-31-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

My Best Buy has rearranged the movie department since the last upgrade and save, and I haven't tried to browse/shop since. They'll probably get less of my money this time around b/c it's just not nearly as user friendly as a alphabetical blu-ray section.
Old 01-01-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What was sad about the last U&S for me is I did maybe 8-10 trade-ins and at least half of what I bought went on sale cheaper during BF week than what I paid after U&S. For instance, I got the $100 Bond set at Amazon so I ended up returning those 3 for $4.99 each and losing my trade-ins (plus time and gas). A couple other $4.99 U&S BDs I got were $3.99 on BF. So I wasted at least 5 of my trade-ins which cost me $1 each at Dollar Tree.

Of course with BF behind us such deals are less likely. I think the U&S before next BF I'm not going to buy much.
Old 01-01-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Unless there's a ton of newer catalog titles available, I'll probably spend very little this round. I went nuts with the U&S a couple of years ago, and now I'm spending less and less each round. But I am glad Best Buy is sticking with these.
Stop going in my brain and posting my exact same thoughts. Thanks.
Old 01-01-13, 12:18 PM

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
It'd be awesome if those WB three-packs were still 9.99 by then. Also, Jackson's King Kong and The Breakfast Club are each currently 9.99.
you can bet anything that's $9.99 now will be $14.99 in time for the sale...as has always been the observation prior to the beginning of every U&S
Old 01-01-13, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
My Best Buy has rearranged the movie department since the last upgrade and save, and I haven't tried to browse/shop since. They'll probably get less of my money this time around b/c it's just not nearly as user friendly as a alphabetical blu-ray section.
This. I was in there yesterday and noticed they mixed the BD's with DVD's and were in no type of order. Horrible.
Old 01-01-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joltman
If it is on sale now and in-store you can check the shelf tag for the expiration date.
Old 01-02-13, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
you can bet anything that's $9.99 now will be $14.99 in time for the sale...as has always been the observation prior to the beginning of every U&S
Really? I haven't heard of a single instance of them changing a regular $9.99 price to something higher for the promotion. The only prices that people notice fluctuating are what's on sale, which is to be expected.

Also, for those looking for cheapies to trade in and who have a Fry's nearby, through tomorrow they have a ton of DVDs on sale for a buck each. Stopped by and picked up 10 yesterday and am tempted to pick up more to use as a stockpile for future U&S's, as the Dollar Trees around here have stopped carrying DVDs.
Old 01-02-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

I still have quite a few DVDs I can take in, so I should be good to go.

Just need to see what they have on sale during the U&S weeks. Love to be able to pick up Dark Knight Rises for $9.99.
Old 01-02-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suspect I won't buy much this time around. But I said that last time too, and still bought 30 titles... Thankfully, yesterday I updated my phone app with all of my BD movie purchases for the last 4 months, as well as all of my HD-DVD's. So I won't be buying any duplicates this time (screwed up and bought a dupe last time). Now I just need to get my online list updated. I will work on that soon... Gotta add my TV seasons in, and then I'm ready to rock...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 01-02-13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-02-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Just before the big releases in Feb...

Will still prob trade in a few.
Old 01-02-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those $1.98 DVDs that Amazon had for lightning deals (Bad Teacher, The Social Network, etc.) are going to be good for using for this. Particularly since the combination of free Prime Shipping and getting $1 video on demand credit for each one purchased really made them only cost me 98¢ each.
Old 01-02-13, 07:21 PM

This is my first U&S Hope to score the Christopher Nolan Batman films
Old 01-02-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I have been unable to participate in the last few U&S because I have been out of work. But I just started a new job and will get my first paycheck Jan. 18. I don't see myself going all crazy, but it's probably a safe bet that I'll buy something depending on the prices.
Old 01-02-13, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I have been unable to participate in the last few U&S because I have been out of work. But I just started a new job and will get my first paycheck Jan. 18. I don't see myself going all crazy, but it's probably a safe bet that I'll buy something depending on the prices.
Congrats! Good way to start off the year.
Old 01-05-13, 09:20 AM

I checked online and no BestBuys near me have any of the ones I want. If I go in person, will they order them to the store for me?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.