Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite slasher film franchises (and why)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Favorite slasher film series?
Nightmare on Elm Street
18.37%
Friday the 13th
32.65%
Halloween
20.41%
Child's Play
0%
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
10.20%
Hellraiser
6.12%
Scream
8.16%
I Know What you Did Last Summer
0%
Other
4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I've been watching a bunch of 80s slasher films and some of them are really bad, but the originals are amazing.

What's your favorite horror film franchise?
Old 10-30-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Favorite slasher film franchises (and why)

Why isn't Saw on the Poll? That franchise cranked out 7 films.
Old 10-30-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always considered Saw to be more in the torture horror genre.
Old 11-05-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always preferred The Nightmare on Elm Street films growing up. The first two still have some scares and part 3 is so much fucking fun. Things devolve from there until New Nightmare. As an adult, Friday the 13th is right up there. They're fun slashers.
Old 11-05-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

John Carpenter's Halloween. I've seen this film more times than I can count. I always enjoy watching it no matter what time of the year the calendar may say.
Old 11-05-12, 10:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Other: Saw. I won't argue that the films are particularly good, but their slavish dedication to continuity was admirable.
Old 11-05-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Halloween, even though Moustapha Akkad ran them into the ground with one shit sequel after another. Should have ended with Halloween II, but then it wouldn't have been a franchise.
Old 11-05-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the Nightmare On Elm Street Series the best. First is a classic, 2nd was a different approach but had some great scenes, and 3 really took it to the next level. It stopped being scary after that but the inventiveness of the story was really cool. 3 good movies in that series.

Halloween has only two.
Old 11-05-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I voted The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, because the original film is the best film in this thread.

I also love the insane tone of the sequel and think the remake, TTCM:The Beginning, and TTCM3 are better than most of the sequels in this poll.
Old 11-05-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm voting for TCM. Only because I remember the first time I ever watched it. I'll never forget. I was 14 and super excited to watch it. I rented it from my local video store and on the way home picked up some Micky D's. As I started watching and it got to the part were the kids explore the house for the first time and I saw all the chicken bones and nastiness of the house I totally lost my appetite. Never happened to me before or ever again.
Old 11-05-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Definitely Elm Street.

Hellraiser shouldn't be missed. The movie is very cruel, disgusting and nightmarish. The sequels were alright. It just didn't scare me as much as Elm Street. Probably because Elm Street played it closer to reality. A lot of people skipped "Lord of Illusions". I thought highly of it and would recommend it to anyone. Seems like a very overlooked movie.

lol to anyone who would choose Child's Play. Has anyone watched them lately? They're so laughable and silly.
Old 11-05-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Halloween. Even the ones people consider shit, I tend to really like.

Halloween 2 is really good. As a kid, before I knew that I was 'supposed' to think the original was the best, I liked Halloween 2 just as much if not more than the original. Today, after having years to reflect I've come to the conclusion that part of the reason I liked Halloween 2 so much was because of how good the first one was. But still, I'm on the fence I think I like the first 2 pretty much equally.

Halloween 3 is a fun little horror movie. I always feel bad that it got lumped in with Michael Myers, because I think as a stand alone film "Season of the Witch" would have been appreciated a hell of a lot more than it was when it first came out, and even today to tell you the truth.

Although I never had the adoration for 4&5 that I had for the original 2, I've always really liked the Jamie Lloyd installments of the franchise. 4 is definitly the better of the 2, but even 5 has it's moments. Although both films had quite a few problems, 2 of the main ingredients to making me enjoy a Halloween film were both there. That being Michael Myers and Donald Pleasence. If I made an attempt to be objective I'm not sure I would call them "good" movies. Whatever that means. But none the less I the still enjoyed them.

The Curse of Michael Myers Producers Cut > The Curse of Michael Myers Theatrical cut.

H20 was ok. Its not a favourite of mine. I thought the ending was great and I liked seeing Laurie Strode back. But thats about it. It really needed Donald Pleasence. Also could have used a good script and a non hack director.

"Resurrection" was an abortion that I tend to completly ignore.

I need to rewatch both Rob Zombie installments. I didn't think much of either at the time. But I feel I should revisit both. Malcolm Mcdowell lacked the conviction that Don Pleasence played Dr Loomis with. He couldn't seem to get a handle on the role or deliver and of the dialogue with any degree of believeability. Whereas Pleasence made me genuinely believe EVERYTHING that was happening.

I'm anxious to see what the future of the franchise is now that Zombie, Carpenter and Jamie Lee are all done with it. And Moustaphha Akkad and Donald Pleasence are both dead. Not that it really matters when it comes to my 12 dollars, because I'll be seeing it either way.
Old 11-06-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Damn for me it's a toss up between Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street. Hard for me to choose.
Old 11-06-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I chose Friday the 13th only for the amount of babes in all of the movies.
Old 11-06-12, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

F13th is a sentimental choice for me. I recall it being one of the first horror movies that I viewed as a kid.
Old 11-06-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scream for me. The original got me interested in the horror genre and all four movies keep good entertainment quality for me. I loved the fourth installment almost as much as the first.
Old 11-06-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Nightmare for me. Freddy exudes style. I like Jason and Myers also, but Freddy gave the genre a much needed touch of humor.
Old 11-06-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Friday the 13th.

I grew up on a lot of horror, and these stuck in my mind more than any others. I can still recall the fear I felt watching The Final Chapter for the first time. It haunted me for years.
Old 11-06-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Halloween by a long shot. I even liked the Zombie remake quite a bit...although, I try to forget that his version of Halloween 2 ever existed. That and Resurrection were both garbage.
Old 11-06-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Saw because of how serialized it was. Not every movie was good, but I enjoyed how each movie was tied into one another.
Old 11-06-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the original Hellraiser and Halloween.

I suppose as a franchise, I'd go with Halloween. I couldn't get into Saw but I thought the other franchises were OK.
Old 11-06-12, 04:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the Friday the 13th series, because as the films progressed the 'kills' (and amount of gore) seemed to one up themselves.

The 'Nightmare' movies seem dated now. Never cared for the Halloween movies.
Old 11-06-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Fans of Saw: Is the only reason you like them because they in together nicely? Not trying to be a dick but I'd rather have a series that contained either a scary movie or some type of visceral thrill or had some humor. I can even see if you guys mentioned the gore. I just find it weird.
Old 11-06-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy them all, but the Friday the 13th series is my favorite. I love everything about them really, especially Jason. He's the best slasher of all. I also think there are some fun characters in the movies, getting killed mostly, but still they are fun while they last.

Honorable mention goes to the Slumber Party Massacare & Sorority House Massacre movies.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-06-12 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-06-12, 09:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

NoES has always been my childhood favorite and saw all in theaters I believe, but I have come to enjoy F13 and the early Halloweenies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.