Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone bought stuff from MovieMars.com?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-09-10, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im curious because they have a blu ray that I want that is cheaper than I seen at other sites, Anyone had experience with them?
Old 12-09-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Anyone bought stuff from MovieMars.com?

They sell on the Amazon Marketplace and have a 97% postive feedback rating.

However, I've purchased one DVD through them on Amazon and it came shipped in a thin plastic baggie with no padding and the case was pretty beaten up.
Old 12-11-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought a couple of DVD's from them on Amazon Marketplace and they both arrived quickly and in perfect condition. I don't recall what kind of packaging they were shipped in though.
Old 12-11-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ordered from them a number of times from amazon marketplace. In fact, just received another order (audio CD) from them today. Things usually arrive fast from them, although my first order (a couple of years back) was slow. No problems since.
Old 12-11-10, 06:48 PM

I ordered a CD from them through Amazon Marketplace that was defective. I returned it for a replacement and they sent me back the same CD rewrapped.
Old 12-12-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
They sell on the Amazon Marketplace and have a 97% postive feedback rating.

However, I've purchased one DVD through them on Amazon and it came shipped in a thin plastic baggie with no padding and the case was pretty beaten up.
I have ordered directly from their website on multiple occasions. The DVDs and CDs show up, but packaging is definitely their weakest aspect. The thin plastic baggie is their most common shipper, so do not order from them if your local postal service mishandles stuff or the item is fragile.
Old 12-12-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ordered from them through Amazon and Ebay and just did my first order direct.

Took 5 days for a CD, lowest price online.

They have a lot of good deals, I'll buy again.
Old 12-14-10, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I ordered the new Mariah Carey Christmas CD, it turned it to be the Argentina version.

Seems to be the real deal, just an import, but same tracklist. Hmmmm.
Old 09-27-12, 06:45 PM

BEWARE!! I see that this is an old question, but yes I bought stuff at MovieMars.com (09/2012) and would not recommend them to my worst enemy! They sent me a DVD that does not play in my system or anywhere in the US for that matter (wrong region). When I contacted them about it, they said it was my fault for ordering the wrong thing (I don't know why I thought that by ordering a DVD from a company in NC to be shipped to me in the US that I would actually get a DVD that could be viewed in the US -- silly me!) but that I could send it back. They credited the cost of the disc, less shipping, and of course I had to pay return shipping. So, now that all is said and done, they have a useless DVD to send to someone else and I am out (2) shipping charges. I guess they make pretty good money on keeping customers' shipping charges. I will never buy anything from MovieMars.com again -- not even if my life depended on it. BEWARE -- they will send you products that don't work and you will be stuck with (2) shipping charges! Avoid at all cost! There are far better and more ethical DVD sellers out there in my opinion.
Old 09-28-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did their listing say it was a Region 2 PAL DVD?
Old 09-28-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Did their listing say it was a Region 2 PAL DVD?
this. you need to read the description. they sell a lot of imports which is good for me. I've ordered from them via Amazon marketplace. packaging blows but everything else was good.
Old 09-29-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Early on they used to sell used items resealed as NEW on Amazon until Amazon put an end to that. I received a copy of the original MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE apparently factory sealed, but when I opened it it had a video store rental sticker on the disc. Amazon cracked down on this for sellers abusing condition descriptions as NEW so I don't think MovieMars engages in this deception anymore, but I believe they still reseal used items and list them under USED-LIKE NEW as "SEALED ITEM." One could easily mistake that as being NEW and not USED. I tend to shy away from MovieMars.
Old 09-30-12, 01:55 PM

I used to buy from them very regularly, in spite of their poor packaging and occasionally slow shipping. Then I had a period where a few DVD's arrived damaged. They were all MGM "Midnite Movie" titles in eco boxes, and appear to have been subject to high humidity. The artwork had shriveled and assumed all the cut-out patterns of the case. MovieMars was very nice about it and sent me a prepaid label, but when one of the replacements was a floater, I discovered their policy of never shipping more than one replacement. I instead bought from ImportCD's, and the disk arrived intact the first time.

Their policy of rewrapping used DVD's (like maybe the ones I returned?) also annoys me. I see their Amazon "Like New" DVD's listed as "sealed" all the time. IMHO one of the benefits of buying used is being able to inquire about what's in the case, i.e. "is it a DVD-R?" or "are the liner notes included?"

I'll still buy from them, but not as a first choice.
Old 01-17-14, 03:39 AM

I'm very frustrated with MovieMars and I haven't even ordered from them. They have the best price on a series that I've been wanting to get. It only comes as individual seasons(1-3) but it's recently had a price drop. Okay, so I'm ready to order it on Ebay when it dawns on me to take their advice and go check out their website.

Seems logical and lo and behold, it's actually a better deal. Instead of $16.89 + $2.99 s/h...each season(explicitly states no combined shipping) on Ebay, through their site they are $14.29 each with free shipping. A much better deal.

Alrighty, let's place that order. But wait. When you click on the link for each season there is an error and that product doesn't exist. Okay, must be a glitch of some kind. No problemo, I'll just contact them by phone and place the order. Ohhhh, no. Not with this CSR. She was very nice but couldn't do anything except suggesting to buy them on Ebay.

I'm a bit discouraged but everyone's been new on the job at some point and I'm in no hurry so I'll just shoot an e-mail to their customer service explaining the situation and I'm confident they'll handle it. Well, that was weeks ago and I never got a response of any kind. They keep re-stocking their Ebay store with this item but their site never does.

I'm thinking nothing but the worst of them at this point because I hate when I feel like a company is being underhanded but I'm wondering if anyone has any sage advice on this type of situation that perhaps I'm overlooking?
Old 01-18-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ordered once from them and had no problem.
Old 01-18-14, 02:34 PM

I suggest you send one more email, give them 3 or 4 business days to respond, and if you get nothing, cut your losses. I don't think you're missing anything. The 21st century customer service mentality is to offer the absolute minimum service and take responsibility for nothing. Buy from their EBay store or consider speaking with your wallet and just taking your business elsewhere.

I recall a particular web site selling PC hardware (don't recall the domain but they had US and Canadian sites) that was broken in several critical ways. Some cookies were malformed, pop-ups scripted in a nonstandard way so the site would seem stalled because these messages wouldn't display, etc. I emailed them several times about the problem, but never got a reply and nothing ever improved. I may have bought something from them once, but just once. One day I loaded their home page and discovered they'd gone out of business. I wonder why?
Old 01-18-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by moklerman
I'm very frustrated with MovieMars and I haven't even ordered from them. They have the best price on a series that I've been wanting to get. It only comes as individual seasons(1-3) but it's recently had a price drop. Okay, so I'm ready to order it on Ebay when it dawns on me to take their advice and go check out their website.

Seems logical and lo and behold, it's actually a better deal. Instead of $16.89 + $2.99 s/h...each season(explicitly states no combined shipping) on Ebay, through their site they are $14.29 each with free shipping. A much better deal.

Alrighty, let's place that order. But wait. When you click on the link for each season there is an error and that product doesn't exist. Okay, must be a glitch of some kind. No problemo, I'll just contact them by phone and place the order. Ohhhh, no. Not with this CSR. She was very nice but couldn't do anything except suggesting to buy them on Ebay.

I'm a bit discouraged but everyone's been new on the job at some point and I'm in no hurry so I'll just shoot an e-mail to their customer service explaining the situation and I'm confident they'll handle it. Well, that was weeks ago and I never got a response of any kind. They keep re-stocking their Ebay store with this item but their site never does.

I'm thinking nothing but the worst of them at this point because I hate when I feel like a company is being underhanded but I'm wondering if anyone has any sage advice on this type of situation that perhaps I'm overlooking?
I've come across the same behavior and discrepancy between their eBay/Amazon listings and their own website. Just go ahead and order from where you can. Their site is really a second thought for business. They redesigned it a couple of years ago and many items are unsearchable on that site, including if you powersearch using Google and the UPC code.
Old 01-18-14, 11:48 PM

I appreciate the input and it's just one of those pet peeves, don't want to do it on principle things. I just realized that there are actually four items I would buy from them right now, all on buy it now, but since they refuse to combine shipping, it's got my goat and I don't want to order from them.
Old 01-19-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MovieMars is a last resort for me. I don't trust them for reasons I posted above.

I recently had a bad dealing with Oldies.com (delineated elsewhere in this forum) and when they read the public thread about it they offered to fix everything, but I ignored them. At that point I no longer wanted them to have my money, no matter how cheap the offer. Sometimes principle is worth more.
Old 05-03-16, 07:38 PM

I ordered a movie that Amazon said was mailed April 12. It was supposed to arrive between April 20-27. I haven't seen it. I can't trace it. I have sent a couple of email requests for followup and I have heard nothing. Despite the great price, I doubt that I will ever use them again.
Old 05-03-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue L.
I ordered a movie that Amazon said was mailed April 12. It was supposed to arrive between April 20-27. I haven't seen it. I can't trace it. I have sent a couple of email requests for followup and I have heard nothing. Despite the great price, I doubt that I will ever use them again.
This is a Movie Mars thread not an Amazon one.
Old 05-06-16, 01:55 PM

Assuming this was a Marketplace purchase...my general thoughts on MovieMars are above, although I haven't bought from them in quite some time to see if they've improved. Amazon has policies in place in case packages don't arrive. Wait it out and file a claim if the worst happens, then don't patron them again.

Only twice do I recall packages that never arrived at all. One was an order of Christmas presents from Amazon proper. The tracking showed it got as far as Philadelphia, where it disappeared. The other was a used DVD from EBay, where I think the seller did everything right, but we happened to have a substitute postman on the day of delivery and a mistake occurred. Falling just short of that was a buy from EBay UK that took 9 weeks to arrive, and a purchase from Deep Discount that took a month, but then was the wrong movie.

Unless you've had other issues with mail order purchases disappearing, I think it will arrive eventually.
Old 07-28-17, 06:00 PM

I ordered a CD from Movie Mars and it not only came 2 days late, but they also gave me the worng CD. They have no phone number either to be able to call them.
Old 08-29-17, 03:19 PM
Bea

Originally Posted by Mad4Movies
BEWARE!! I see that this is an old question, but yes I bought stuff at MovieMars.com (09/2012) and would not recommend them to my worst enemy! They sent me a DVD that does not play in my system or anywhere in the US for that matter (wrong region). When I contacted them about it, they said it was my fault for ordering the wrong thing (I don't know why I thought that by ordering a DVD from a company in NC to be shipped to me in the US that I would actually get a DVD that could be viewed in the US -- silly me!) but that I could send it back. They credited the cost of the disc, less shipping, and of course I had to pay return shipping. So, now that all is said and done, they have a useless DVD to send to someone else and I am out (2) shipping charges. I guess they make pretty good money on keeping customers' shipping charges. I will never buy anything from MovieMars.com again -- not even if my life depended on it. BEWARE -- they will send you products that don't work and you will be stuck with (2) shipping charges! Avoid at all cost! There are far better and more ethical DVD sellers out there in my opinion.
Old 08-29-17, 03:21 PM
Bea

The same thing just happened to me as of Aug, 2017. I bought from movie mars via amazon. Amazon did refund me, but not movie mars. They are a bait and switch scam.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.