View Single Post
Old 09-15-12, 06:10 PM   #36
rbrown498
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Thread

Orange Title - Denotes first-time-ever viewing

Caution: Spoilers may follow!

Last year's tally: 61 films; 39 first-time viewings

This year's goals: 100 films; 67 first-time viewings; complete all lists

9/30/2012

Spoiler:

NOTE: This film is NOT counted in my totals, as I consider it to be a sort of pre-Challenge warm up.

XX Kuroneko (1968) (Blu-ray) - I’ve been a fan of Onibaba, one of the films that director Kaneto Shindo made before Kuroneko, ever since I saw it for the first time more than a decade ago. Because of this, I went into my viewing of Kuroneko with high expectations…and I came away from that viewing with very mixed feelings. It’s not that I didn’t like Kuroneko; I liked it very much, for the first eighty-five minutes or so. But the last fifteen minutes confused me, so much so that I went online to try to find out what exactly I had just seen.

There’s a whole lot to admire in Kuroneko, even if Shindo loses control of the narrative near the end. In fact, one of the delights of the film for me was not having any idea where it was going to go next. When the first samurai sits to have sake with the ghosts, several things reminded me of Cocteau’s Beauty and the Beast (and recalled Michael Weldon’s question in his review of Beauty and the Beast in The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film--why can’t other films look like this?). I especially thought that the mother’s hair, swishing against her back like a cat’s tail, was a perfect touch. Later, in the middle of the film, when the husband and wife reunite, I was reminded of a later film, Nagisa Oshima’s In the Realm of the Senses, due to the eroticism of those scenes. In fact, I found Kuroneko to be extraordinarily sensual, with certain shots so vivid as to be almost tactile.

Overall, I liked Kuroneko a lot. I expect to one day love it, once I figure out exactly what Shindo was trying to express in the last fifteen minutes.

10/1/2012

Spoiler:

1. Blacula (1972) (DVD) - Let's just get this right out in the open--I love Blacula. I always have, and I always will, and I'll admit it to anyone. I think that it's one of the five or so best vampire films ever made. Is it dated? Sure it is, but so are all of the Universal classics. Is it cheap? Yup...but so was Carnival of Souls, and nobody seems to complain too much about that one. So what do I like about it? It's a combination of things--William Marshall's nuanced performance, the urban setting, the awful fashions (excepting Blacula's grey-lined cape which is totally kick-ass), the music (and what an incredibly groovy theme song!), all of the women (most are quite beautiful, and the only one who really isn't--the character of Juanita Jones as played by Ketty Lester--is memorable for other reasons), Charles Macauley's performance as Dracula, the rather ghoulish-looking supporting vampires.... I really could go on and on. There is nothing about this film that I don't like. It, along with Coffy, was instrumental in really kicking the blaxploitation genre into high gear. And what a great ending!!

10/2/2012

Spoiler:

2. The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) (DVD) - Of all the Roman Polanski films that I’ve seen, this one is probably my least favorite. I saw it long, long ago on the CBS Late Movie when I was a kid, and I slept through a pretty good hunk of it. Watching it for the Challenge for the first time in probably 35 years, I found myself dozing off several times again. I don’t know what it is about the film that lulls me to sleep, but it definitely makes me drowsy. So here’s what I like about it: the cinematography, the set and costume design, the music (most especially), and Ferdy Mayne as the head vampire. I do love the look of the film; it looks like Christmas. Now, here’s what I don’t like about it: everything else. The pace befits the setting, as the film moves at a glacier-like speed. The team of vampire killers is more annoying than amusing. The first twenty minutes are just awful--the only thing of note that really happens is that Jack MacGowran gets hit over the head with a salami. I really can’t blame MGM for cutting twenty minutes out of it when they first released it. The way I see it, it could only help the film. The word “brilliant” often gets tossed around when people talk about this film, but I just don’t see it. For me, The Fearless Vampire Killers is only about a half-rung up the ladder from Saturday the 14th in terms of effectiveness. Polanski certainly made up for this film’s shortcomings with his next film, however.

3. Raising Cain (1992) (DVD) - I've been a fan of Brian De Palma's ever since I saw Phantom of the Paradise during its original run, and then again in its 1975 re-release. I saw Carrie in its re-release. My dad and I went to see Dressed to Kill, and Dad made a classic sidecrack when he leaned over and whispered to me, "This should have been called Undressed to Kill." I saw Body Double twice because I couldn't quite wrap my head around it the first time. But none of these films is even remotely as whacked out as Raising Cain. John Lithgow plays, I don't know, eight or nine roles (the credits list him as playing five) in this tale of a guy with multiple personalities. Everything about this film is so completely over the top that it struck me during the climax that De Palma had to have been trying to pull one over on all of us--this film is actually a parody of De Palma films by De Palma himself. If you approach the film from that viewpoint, it becomes pretty funny. So instead of trying to keep up with the purposefully super-twisted plot, just kick back, play "Spot the Reference," and watch De Palma send up his entire oeuvre.

10/3/2012

Spoiler:

4. The Dentist (1996) (DVD) - I think that it would take a very special combination of director, screenwriters and actors to make a good film about a homicidal dentist…and The Dentist proves that Brian Yuzna, Stuart Gordon and Dennis Paoli, and Corbin Bernsen et al. were not a very special combination. Probably the worst film in all of their filmographies (well, maybe not in Corbin’s), The Dentist never engaged me. There’s not one character in the film that struck me as being a reasonable facsimile of a real person. I think the film would have been a lot more interesting and/or scary if cardboard cutouts had been used as actors instead of live people--at least that way, I’d be able to cut the film a little slack for having actual cardboard characters instead of people playing cardboard characters. The music score was just plain awful. Apparently, Alan Howarth is only effective as John Carpenter’s extra pair of hands. And no, before you ask, I didn’t squirm once during the dental hijinks that occurred. If the special effects had been up to snuff, I might have squirmed, but inflicting damage on a piece of rubber has never really been something that induces mad squirming in me. As it stands, there’s nothing here worth recommending.

10/4/2012

Spoiler:

5. The Cabin in the Woods (2011) (DVD) - 2012 was pretty obviously the cinematic year of Joss Whedon, and The Cabin in the Woods served as the appetizer to the main course that was The Avengers. Most appetizers are tasty, but they don’t fill you up. And that’s kind of the way that I feel about this film. For all the cleverness on display, for all the great actors, for all that it gets right, The Cabin in the Woods still falls short of filling me up. I saw it in its theatrical release earlier this year, and I thought that it was okay but not the horror film to end all horror films, as the fanboys seemed to think. My opinion was most probably influenced by all the hate waves rolling off the audience toward the screen--I don’t know that I’ve ever felt quite such animosity towards a film in the theater. To be perfectly honest, I felt that the film was smarter than most of the people in the theater. Still (unlike the majority of the audience) I didn’t feel that I’d wasted my money. Now, upon my second viewing, I like it more than I did originally…but it still comes up just short of greatness. It may be that it’s just too clever for its own good, and it feels to me that it has a clockwork heart instead of a real, live, beating one. I can still enjoy it, but I don’t see myself ever really loving it.

10/5/2012

Spoiler:

6. Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) (DVD) - Robert Quarry gives a pretty good performance as Count Yorga (or, more accurately I guess, Count Iorga), who is, as the title rather emphatically states, a vampire. He lives in an old mansion on the outskirts of Los Angeles with a harem of his vampire brides. He sets his sights on gaining a few more brides, including the daughter of one of his current vampire babes, but he’s defeated in the end. The brides, however, still survive. Not bad non-campy vampire film was shot as a low-budget sexploitation film, but it went legit when Robert Quarry came on board. Rumor has it that he was paid only $1,200 for starring in the film, but because of it, he became AIP’s new horror star for a brief period. The version that’s on DVD is NOT the original theatrical version; the scene where one of the characters chows down on her pet cat has been extended, and the film’s original title of The Loves of Count Iorga…Vampire has been reinstated. It’s hard to find really concrete info on the making of the film, but Tony Timpone has written that the budget was under $100,000, and the IMDB lists the budget as $65,000. Either way, the film was made on the cheap.

In case you haven’t noticed, three of the first five subset films this year have been vampire films--and they’re all kind of related. Count Yorga, Vampire rips off the ending of The Fearless Vampire Killers, and Blacula, in turn, steals footage from Yorga. Check out the “transporting the vampire’s coffin” scenes in Yorga and Blacula--they both start at the Port of Los Angeles, with the camera starting on the red pickup truck and tilting upwards until you see the sign for the Port. There are also identical shots in both of the red truck on the highways and streets of LA, getting the coffin to where it’s going. I might never have noticed this if it weren’t for having seen both films so closely together. Chalk another one up for the Challenge!

10/6/2012

Spoiler:

7. Touch of Death (1988) (DVD) - Well, this film has finally shown me that I don’t really like Lucio Fulci’s work. The first time that I saw Zombie, I was underwhelmed. I thought that City of the Living Dead was average at best. The Beyond is not too bad, but I certainly wouldn’t make a case for it being a classic of world horror cinema. Now comes Touch of Death, and it has proven to me once and for all that Fulci just isn’t a director that I care to follow. He has no discernible style that’s his own, no particular philosophical slant, nothing that really differentiates his work from that of many others. Phil Hardy, in his essential The Encyclopedia of Horror Movies, says that Fulci, and I quote, “is basically a realist director whose work derives its impact from what others put in front of” his camera. I can’t think of one Fulci film I’ve seen that I feel achieved its full potential. For me, Touch of Death is the worst of the bunch. While there are a few amusing touches and a few terribly graphic gore scenes, the film doesn’t hang together as a narrative. I can’t in good conscience recommend it to anybody except the most undiscerning gorehounds.

8. The Exorcist (1973) (DVD) - (This is not so much a review as a remembrance.) I begged my dad to take me to see this when it first came out. I had seen coverage of it in Famous Monsters, and it was all over the television, and in newspapers and magazines as being an event. But as I had only just turned 11, he thought (and, I’ll admit, rightly so) that I was too young to see it. So, I thought that I’d do the next best thing and read the book. I went to check it out from the public library, but it wasn’t even kept on the shelves--they had it hidden under the check-out counter, and you had to be eighteen to check it out. Nazis! In the fall of 1974 I convinced a classmate that he really needed to buy the book in paperback. He did, and we spent several days at the very back of history class with him reading from the book very softly and me listening very intently. We only got busted once.

To my delight, the film was re-released around Christmas of 1974. In early 1975, after my relentless needling for weeks, Dad had finally had enough and realized that the only way he was going to get me to shut up about seeing The Exorcist was to take me to see the thing. So he did. At the ripe old age of twelve, I found myself in a theater getting ready for my first R-rated movie. The tension in the theater before the lights went down was palpable. I vividly remember the electricity in the air, a feeling of both excitement and dread. Once the film started, the feeling only grew…and it only stopped growing when the final credits began. While I was absolutely enthralled with the whole experience (and only mildly traumatized), my dad was really shaken, as was most of the audience. Nobody got out of their seats as the credits rolled; no one moved until the house lights came up. Everyone looked (and probably was) exhausted.

As we drove home, Dad told me not to tell Mom that we’d gone to see The Exorcist. He’d told her that we were going to a different film. She still may not know that we went that night.

Epilogue: In 1989, I went to work at Georgetown University, and I was absolutely thrilled that I was working where The Exorcist was shot. I had to take time scoping out and walking through every part of campus that showed up in the movie. During my time at Georgetown, William Peter Blatty came back to campus to shoot scenes for Exorcist III. It was very cool, but the production trucks and cabling were a major hindrance in getting to and from various buildings on campus.

10/7/2012

Spoiler:

9. The Return of the Living Dead (1985) (DVD) - Another film that I’ve loved ever since I saw it in its original release way back when. For me, the success of the film lies with the performances of James Karen, Don Calfa, and Clu Gulager. The teenagers and the military just get in the way of watching these three pros. It’s not a perfect movie by any means, but it’s a lot of fun and has a killer soundtrack. It’s one of my five favorite zombie films.

10. Diary of the Dead (2007) (DVD) - Also known as George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead (just in case you can't figure out which movie I'm writing about), Diary of the Dead has been the victim of a pretty bad reputation ever since it was released. I bought the film when it first came out on DVD, but due to its less-than-stellar critical reception, I've held off watching it until now. I've got to admit that I feel, now that I've finally seen it, that it's been unfairly maligned. While I was very disappointed in the direction that Romero took Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead made everything right again, at least to my eyes. In fact, now that I’ve thought about it a bit, I might even like Diary of the Dead a bit better than Romero’s Day of the Dead. I really like that, instead of being trapped in one setting for the majority of the film, Romero takes us out into the world, showing us what’s happening in more than one place. I like that there are no zombies for whom we’re supposed to feel sympathy. I like that Romero can still have social commentary in a film without getting too heavy-handed about it. I like that the film moves. I’m glad that I finally gave it a look.

11. Halloween (1978) (Blu-ray) - Halloween is another film that’s been analyzed to death--so much so that there’s not much left to say about it. It’s a bona fide classic that really hasn’t aged much. In high school, I had read about Halloween somewhere, and I’d seen Siskel and Ebert review it on their show, so I was dying to see it. I saw the commercials on TV, but it was playing an hour away. I waited, yet it didn’t show up in my town. Then one weekend, without warning, it appeared at our drive-in. Usually, films hit the indoor theaters first, then got moved to the drive-in after a week or two, so it was doubly-odd that a popular first-run film debuted at the drive-in in my town. I didn’t have my driver’s license yet, so I begged a friend with a car to take me and my girlfriend to see it. He did. The three of us sat in his car, jumping at all the right spots. Driving home was a weird affair, because I think that all three of us were expecting Michael Myers to be standing behind a hedge or lurking in the shadows of a front porch. I didn’t sleep too well that night.

10/8/2012

Spoiler:

12. Mother's Day (2010) (DVD) - Better-than-expected remake of the 1980 cult film. Director Darren Lynn Bousman may make a great film yet. This one isn’t it, but it’s another step in the right direction. Radical rethinking of the original film is at least twenty minutes too long, but there are some very good performances to help make up for it. Rebecca de Mornay turns it up to eleven as the mother--she’s probably as full-tilt in this one as she was in The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. Movie is graphically gory, so if that bothers you, you may want to steer clear of it. My major complaint: If you’ve seen the original, the last minute appearance of the character Queenie was a high point of the film. Queenie was mentioned several times in the remake, but she never showed up. Color me mighty disappointed.

10/9/2012

Spoiler:

13. Deadgirl (2008) (DVD) - Perplexing film about two high school boys who, while skipping school one afternoon, find a dead girl, naked and chained to a table, in a remote corner of the basement of an abandoned mental hospital. In this instance, though, “dead” is a subjective term, as the girl keeps moving even after having had her neck broken and being shot three times by one of the boys. Still, being teenage boys, one of them sees the sexual possibilities inherent in the situation and things rapidly get a) out of hand and b) disgusting. While I really wanted to like the film, I never felt as engaged with the story as I wanted to be. The blame for this falls on the directors more than on the screenwriter--I get the feeling that they wanted the film’s tone to be seen as “intense,” when in actuality it comes much closer to being seen as “languid.” The screenwriter doesn’t escape all blame, though, as the film takes out a full-page newspaper ad announcing the ending about 75 minutes in. Although I hate to say it, Deadgirl ends up being pretty forgettable.

10/10/2012

Spoiler:

14. Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961) (DVD) - Weirdly topical Roger Corman quickie, one of three he shot back-to-back-to-back in Puerto Rico. The plot in fewer than fifty words: American gangsters try to steal a strongbox full of gold from some Cuban government agents. In order to get away with killing the Cubans, they invent a monster to cover up their murders…but a real monster shows up, derailing their plans. Creature is the last in an unofficial trilogy (along with A Bucket of Blood and The Little Shop of Horrors) of goofball horror comedies written by Chuck Griffith for Corman. It’s without a doubt the least successful of the three, but it’s still entertaining, if ultimately inconsequential. Here are my five favorite things about Creature from the Haunted Sea:

5. The non-stop singing, dancing, and drinking of the Cubans on the ship.
4. “It was dusk. I could tell because the sun was going down.”
3. Mango’s subtitles.
2. Mango
1. The way that the film’s title is worked into the lyrics of the interminable song that Betsy Jones-Moreland sings.

Not essential viewing, but fun if you’re in a silly mood.

10/11/2012

15. Dead of Night (1945) (DVD) - Great British horror anthology film that pretty obviously impressed the Amicus guys. The film’s wraparound story is probably the best ever, and the individual stories are entertaining, even if some of them fail to make much of a lasting impression. The nightmare sequence at the end is the best thing about the film--it has the most accurate depiction of dream logic that I’ve ever seen. Dead of Night won’t give you nightmares, but it’s a classic nonetheless.

10/12/2012

16. Class of 1999 (1990) (DVD) - Awful film concerns android teachers at a violence-plagued high school. Class of 1999 pretty much sums up everything that was wrong with genre filmmaking in the late 1980s--far-fetched storylines, egregious over-acting, awful costume designs, labored wisecracks…the list is nearly endless. I happened to catch this at a dollar theater when it came out in 1990, and I felt ripped off then. Even the usually-reliable Pam Grier didn’t help matters any. I was able to pretty much eradicate it from my memory until I watched it again today. I did notice this time around that there was a Nine Inch Nails song on the soundtrack (“Head Like a Hole”). I must have discovered Pretty Hate Machine sometime after I saw this movie. Watch it if you must, but I’m not recommending it.

17. Return of the Evil Dead (1973) (DVD) - No, it’s not another of Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead films; this one is Spanish and is the sequel to Tombs of the Blind Dead. Why the American distributor went with “Evil Dead” rather than “Blind Dead” seems pretty obvious from a box-office standpoint--I mean, what’s scarier, evil things or blind things? So I can cut them some slack there, even though it kind of screws with the continuity of the titles. The actual Spanish title is El Ataque de los Muertos sin Ojos, which literally means The Attack of the Dead without Eyes, or a little more colloquially, Attack of the Blind Dead. No matter what the title is, the plot concerns a bunch of Templars who were blinded and burned to death 500 years ago. As they were dying, one of them cursed the villagers who were responsible, vowing to return from the dead to wreak their vengeance. And so they do. The undead Templars are pretty creepy, but they move fairly slowly…so they’re only really a threat when a bunch of them are able to corner someone. They, like apparently all other reanimated corpses, are afraid of fire, and these guys do go up in flames pretty easily. As it turns out, there’s an even easier way to get rid of them…but you’ll have to watch the movie to find out what it is. All in all, it’s a fun ride, and it just oozes that ‘70s Euro-horror sexy vibe.

18. White Dog (1982) (DVD) - Before White Dog was even finished, false rumors got out that it was a racist movie. This inaccurate word of mouth, coupled with Paramount’s complete inability to come up with a marketing campaign for the film, doomed White Dog to never be theatrically released in America. Because of Paramount’s handling of this film, director Sam Fuller gave up on Hollywood and moved to France. Due to all this, one might reason that the film isn’t very good, and that’s not the case here at all. I found White Dog to be engrossing and very well made indeed. In fact, the film’s stylishness, coupled with the gorgeous score by Ennio Morricone, reminded me several times of the films of Brian De Palma. I’ve also got to give mad props to producer Jon Davison for getting Paul Bartel and Dick Miller (all three of them worked on Joe Dante’s Piranha) cameos in White Dog, and to the Criterion Collection for making this film widely available for the first time ever. It’s my favorite first-watch of the Challenge so far.

10/13/2012

19. Forget Me Not (2009) (Streaming) - Oh, but I thought that I was going to like this one. There’s a moment in most films that hooks me, and I know precisely at that moment that I’m going to like the film. It’s not usually a big plot point, either--the majority of the time, it’s a tiny little inconsequential thing that suddenly gives me the feeling that I’ve got a personal connection with the filmmaker and that I’ll gladly go wherever he or she leads. It happened with Polanski’s Repulsion, it happened with A Tale of Two Sisters, and I thought that it had happened with this film. The moment in question occurs very early in the film, at the big party scene near the beginning. There’s a long involved shot that starts in one room on one teenaged couple, then moves to another room and another couple, and ends up on yet another couple. My thought was that this was a pretty ambitious camera move for a low-budget horror film, so my expectations went up mightily. But my instincts were wrong this time, and the film came crashing back down to earth pretty quickly. For me, there were two main factors that finally killed my interest in the film: an overly-complex script, and a stupid game chant that all the characters knew as children. I wasn’t totally down with the whole “One, two, Freddy’s coming for you” rhyme in A Nightmare on Elm Street, because it seemed a little far-fetched…but the chant in this one was waaaaay unbelievable. “Release the one ignored by heaven”…really? “Forgotten souls erased by time?” No way. Kids just don’t play like that. My final verdict: There’s nothing in Forget Me Not that you won’t forget…and soon.

20. The Hand (1981) (DVD) - Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: Guy loses hand in accident; hand returns and kills guy’s enemies; only guy can see hand; turns out guy is doing the killing but projecting the murders on a phantom hand. I could have stopped after “enemies,” couldn’t I?

10/14/2012

21. Sinister (2012) (Theatrical Showing) - Ethan Hawke plays a failed novelist who has turned to writing true-crime books to pay the bills. He moves his family into a house where the previous family had all been hanged from a tree in the backyard…except for one daughter, who was never found. While moving in, he finds a projector and a box of old Super 8 films in the attic. While watching the films later, he discovers that they document the murders of several families, including the one that had taken place in his new house. And then things get REALLY weird. I wanted to like Sinister--honest, I did. And I guess that I did like it, in some small way. I just didn’t find it to be very scary, and the explanation for what was causing all the weirdness was pretty lame. And the lead bogeyman apparently moonlights as a member of the band Slipknot. As for positive traits, there was some good atmosphere, and the performances were okay. But aside from a few jump scares where the soundtrack GETS VERY LOUD ALL OF A SUDDEN, it didn’t raise my heartbeat much. I tend to judge horror films by whether they give me gooseflesh--whether they make my skin crawl. All of my favorites have a least one moment in each of them that really makes me squirm. Sinister never had that moment.

22. Buried (2010) (DVD) - Ryan Reynolds spends an hour and a half buried in a box in the desert somewhere in Iraq. We spend it, every minute of it, in the box with him. In many ways, Buried is a marvel. The ingenuity required to hold an audience’s attention with only one character to work with (and he’s in a wooden box that’s about the same size and shape as a coffin) is substantial, yet director Rodrigo Cortés and writer Chris Sparling manage to pull off this difficult feat with amazing dexterity. For me, the MVP award for crew member goes to James Muñoz, whose work as sound designer and supervising sound editor really created an incredibly immersive sound field. It seems odd to praise a film that takes place in a box for its sound, but that aspect of the film, more than any other, really puts the viewer into the head space of the main character. Still, even though the film is really quite amazing, it’s such a downer to watch that I don’t expect to see it very many more times. It’s just too draining. However, if you loved Open Water, Buried might be the feel-good film of the year for you. It’s NOT recommended for claustrophobes, ophidiophobes*, or claustrophobic ophidiophobes.

*I had to look it up; now you have to look it up. Fair is fair.

10/15/2012

23. Frankenhooker (1990) (DVD) - I saw this back in the day on VHS. It had that crazy box that had a button on it that when pushed would blare out “WANNA DATE?” in Patty Mullen / Frankenhooker’s voice. At the time I thought the movie was fairly amusing, but pretty slight. I was kind of dreading watching it again, as I just knew that, since I wasn’t particularly impressed with it the first time around, I would probably hate it this go-round. Surprisingly (to me, at least), I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I expected to. I actually laughed out loud a few times, especially at Patty Mullen’s bizarro facial quirks and at several of James Lorinz’s off-the-cuff remarks. Is it stupid? You betcha--but it’s pretty short and has several attractive women, a couple of better-than-they-deserve-to-be performances, and exploding crack whores. It was co-written by Fangoria magazine’s first editor, Bob Martin.

10/16/2012

24. Chillerama (2010) (DVD) -

10/17/2012

25. Noroi: The Curse (2005) (DVD) -

10/18/2012

26. Saint Nick (2010) (DVD) -

31 Films Subset

Spoiler:
-X- BONUS: Everybody - Any theatrical showing - Sinister (2012)
-X- BONUS: Random.org - Kuroneko (1968)
-X- 10/01: clckworang - Blacula (1972)
-X- 10/02: orlmac - The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
-X- 10/03: Dimension X - The Dentist (1996)
-X- 10/04: arw6040 - The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
-X- 10/05: NoirFan - Count Yorga: Vampire (1970)
-X- 10/06: Trevor - Touch of Death (1988)
-X- 10/07: riotinmyskull - Return of the Living Dead (1985)
-X- 10/08: DEEveeDEE3 - Mother's Day (2010)
-X- 10/09: cwileyy - Deadgirl (2008)
-X- 10/10: Screwadu - Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)
-X- 10/11: Mister Peepers - Dead of Night (1945)
-X- 10/12: LJG765 - Class of 1999 (1990)
-X- 10/13: indiephantom - Forget Me Not (2009)
-X- 10/14: edwardnortonfan - Buried (2010)
-X- 10/15: SterlingBen - Frankenhooker (1990)
-X- 10/16: Viewaskewbian - Chillerama (2010)
-X- 10/17: rbrown498 - Noroi: The Curse (2005)
-X- 10/18: terrycloth - Saint Nick (2010)
--- 10/19: Bladz - Deep Red (1975)
--- 10/20: BobO'Link - White Zombie (1932)
--- 10/21: SethDLH - Stake Land (2010)
--- 10/22: shellebelle - The Last Man on Earth (1964)
--- 10/23: ororama - A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
--- 10/24: tarfrimmer - I Sell the Dead (2008)
--- 10/25: Darth Maher - Lake Mungo (2008)
--- 10/26: Chad - The Innkeepers (2011)
--- 10/27: Undeadcow - Fascination (1979)
--- 10/28: jmsmath - Rubber (2010)
--- 10/29: Darkgod - Night of the Werewolf (1981)
--- 10/30: J. Farley - The Pyx (1973)
--- 10/31: Gobear - Murder Party (2008)

Theme Nights

Spoiler:
-X- Dawn of the Challenge: Bonus Hours - Criterion Crossover: Kuroneko
-X- 10/1: Cessation City - Urban Horror: Blacula
-X- 10/2: Peace, Love & Dismemberment - 1960's Horror Cinema: The Fearless Vampire Killers
-X- 10/3:The Doctor is In ...sane - Medical Horrors: The Dentist
-X- 10/4:Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge, Kill Kill - Meta Horror Films: The Cabin in the Woods
-X- 10/5:Gruesome, Greasy, Grindhouse Sleazy - Exploitation Horror: Count Yorga, Vampire
-X- 10/6: Movies That Mess With Your Head - "Exploding Head" Horror: Touch of Death
-X- 10/7: Day of the Pissed Off Woman - Scream Queens: The Return of the Living Dead
-X- 10/8: The Ultimate Pointless Cash Grab Blood Feud! - Remakes Vs. Sequels: Mother's Day (2010)
-X- 10/9: Dawn of the Decaying - Zombie Films: Deadgirl
-X- 10/10: Sweaty Asses Scaring the Masses - Rubber Suit Horror Films: Creature from the Haunted Sea
-X- 10/11: Avant-garde, Surreal & Without Mass Appeal - Arthouse Horror Films: Dead of Night (1945)
-X- 10/12: When Metal Meets Flesh - Killer Robots / Evil Technology: Class of 1999
-X- 10/13: Angst-Ridden with Blemishes Hidden - Teen Screams: Forget Me Not
-X- 10/14: Buried Alive and Itching to Survive - Subterranean Horror: Buried
-X- 10/15: Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Frankenstein / Mad Doctor Films: Frankenhooker
-X- 10/16: Die You Nazi Bastards! - Third Reich Terrors: Chillerama
-X- 10/17: Rent's Overdue & So Are You! - Apartment Horror: Noroi: The Curse
-X- 10/18: Viking Decapitation Via Windmill - NetherHorror Vs. Norwegian Horror: Saint Nick
--- 10/19: It Slices, Dices & Guts You Like a Fish - Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers:
--- 10/20: Bela...Bram. Bram...Bela. - Bela @ 130 & Bram @ 165:
--- 10/21: The Earth Died Screaming - Apocalyptic Horror:
--- 10/22: The Last Man on Earth is Not Alone:
--- 10/23: The Asian Buffet of Tantalizing Terrors!:
--- 10/24: Some Folks Have a Strange Idea of Entertainment - Grave Robbing Horror:
--- 10/25: It was a Dark and Stormy Night... - Campground Tales:
--- 10/26: For God's Sake, Get Out! - Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost:
--- 10/27: (Mass Marathon of the Damned 3: Battery Acid Tea):
--- 10/28: On the Highway to Hell - Road Terrors:
--- 10/29: Lychanthrope Lunacy - Werewolves & Were-Creatures:
--- 10/30: The Demented Debauchery of Devil's Night - Demonic Possession / Satanic:
--- 10/31: All Hallows Eve Hellfest - Halloween Related:

The Checklist

Spoiler:
Watch a film starring:
--- Angela Bettis -or- Raine Brown -
--- Caroline Munro -
--- Danielle Harris -
--- Joan Crawford -or- Peter Lorre -
--- John Agar -
--- Kane Hodder -
--- Lina Romay (R.I.P.) -
-X- Max von Sydow - The Exorcist
--- Michelle Bauer -
--- Oliver Reed -

Watch a film composed by:
--- Bernard Herrmann -
-X- Ennio Morricone - White Dog
-X- Pino Donaggio - Raising Cain

Watch a film directed by:
-X- Amando de Ossorio -or- Paco Plaza - Return of the Evil Dead
-X- Brian De Palma -or- Roman Polanski - Raising Cain, The Fearless Vampire Killers
-X- George A. Romero - Diary of the Dead
--- Jacques Tourneur -or- James Whale -
--- Kazuo 'Gaira' Komizu -or- Takashi Shimizu

Watch a film with make-up effects by:
--- KNB Effects (Howard Berger / Robert Kurtzman / Gregory Nicotero) -
-X- Germano Natali -or- Carlo Rambaldi (R.I.P.) - The Hand
--- Rick Baker -

Watch a film written by:
--- Jimmy Sangster -

Watch a film in each of the following sub-genres / types:
--- *3-D Film -
-X- Anthology Film - Dead of Night (1945)
--- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List -
--- Appears on Video Nasties List -
-X- Based on a Novel - The Exorcist
-X- Cannibalism - Touch of Death
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
--- Comedy / Spoof -
--- Distributor / Studio: Synapse Films -
--- Documentary -
--- Extraterrestrial -
--- Film and at Least Two of its Sequels -
--- Film and its Remake -
-X- Found Footage - Sinister
--- Frankenstein -
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
-X- J-Horror - Noroi: The Curse
-X- Killer / Evil Animal - White Dog
--- Killer / Evil Child -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nazi -
-X- Psychological - Raising Cain
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac -
--- Takes Place in Space -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
-X- Takes Place on or Under the Sea - Creature from the Haunted Sea
-X- Vampire - Blacula
--- Werewolf -
--- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious -
--- With Commentary -
-X- Zombie - The Return of the Living Dead

Watch films in at least three formats:
-X- First format, (DVD), (Blacula).
-X- Second format, (Blu-ray), (Halloween).
-X- Third format, (Streaming), (Forget Me Not).

Watch films in at least three languages:
-X- First language, (Spanish), (Return of the Evil Dead).
-X- Second language, (Japanese), (Noroi: The Curse).
-X- Third language, (Dutch), (Saint Nick).

Watch one film from every decade of film history:
--- 1890 - 1919 OPTIONAL -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
-X- 1940 - Dead of Night (1945)
--- 1950 -
-X- 1960 - The Fearless Vampire Killers
-X- 1970 - Blacula
-X- 1980 - The Return of the Living Dead
-X- 1990 - Raising Cain
-X- 2000 - Diary of the Dead
-X- 2010 - The Cabin in the Woods

Watch a film for each rating:
--- G -
-X- PG - Blacula
--- PG-13 -
-X- R - Raising Cain
--- X / NC-17 -
-X- Unrated - Class of 1999

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL

This Year's Stats -- Final Tally

Goal: 100 Total Watched: 26

First Time Viewings: 13 (50%)

Formats Watched:

23 DVD – 88%
1 Netflix Streaming – 4%
1 Blu-ray - 4%
1 Theatrical Screening - 4%

Decades:

1940s: 1 (4%)
1950s: 0 (0%)
1960s: 2 (8%)
1970s: 5 (19%)
1980s: 4 (15%)
1990s: 4 (15%)
2000s: 4 (15%)
2010s: 6 (24%)

Longest Film Viewed: The Exorcist (122 minutes)
Shortest Film Viewed: Creature from the Haunted Sea (75 minutes)

New favorites: Saint Nick, Diary of the Dead, White Dog

Would not miss if all copies were to suddenly vanish: Touch of Death, Chillerama, The Hand, Forget Me Not

A note about this year's Challenge: I was SO psyched for this year's Challenge to start, but I knew around mid-September that I was going to be really, really pushed for time due to my job. It turned out that my job duties took a much harsher toll on the Challenge than I had anticipated, and about mid-month I realized that something had to give. As I need a job to be able to keep eating regularly, I decided that the Challenge had to be the thing to go this year. And so it did. Maybe next year things will be more on track for me.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture

Last edited by rbrown498; 11-10-12 at 12:06 PM.