View Single Post
Old 09-15-12, 03:40 PM   #18
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Thread

Goal: 100
Legend
First Time Views *
Watched With Wife *
- Oct 1st -
1.)
Blow Out (1981) (Blu-Ray) **
My Thoughts: I just do this serial killer thing to support my side job. Great movie and a fascinating look at what is now a completely different craft; sound editing, and for sleazy horror movies at that!
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Sad, I am extreme sad. John Travolta made same mistake twice. And I do not understand why they did not contact the police. Or that news guy, then she wont get killed. Uhhh I will say 4 star, if happy ending 4.5.
(4 out of 5)
2.)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (1936) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Very interesting in comparison to the Depp version. The Sweeny Todd in this one has no redeeming qualities he is just killing people for the money. Also very abusive to the hired shop boys who he has probably been killing as well. But still, pretty good for a 30's movie, love triangles, murders & meat pies.
(3.5 out of 5)
3.)
Severed: Forest Of The Dead (2005) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: This movie blew. What can I say that is good.... you do have zombies killing hippies and... ...it is in color. But that is about it. Bad acting, plot, dialog, effects, cinematography and even film stock (one of the worst looking 2000's movies I have seen). I suggest this movie only as a gift for people you hold in distain.
(2 out of 5)
4.)
May (2002) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: Awesomely weird and demented, this is something I would never have even seen if it weren't for the checklist. This is one of those DVDs I have passed up countless times just because the cover didn't intrigue me but I am so glad I finally did see it. Also I totally know girls like this! And the song over the end credits gives a very Coraline vibe.
(4 out of 5)
5.)
Strange Behavior (1981) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Surprisingly good for what is in the end a Manchurian Candidate slasher. Also there is just something about 80's horror, it works for me. Add in a little sci-fi, some hidden family secrets, just a bit of goofiness & you have yourself an entertaining little flick.
(3.5 out of 5)
6.) - 7.)
Commentary For IT (1990) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: The commentary for the first part is decent but a little ho hum, mostly director with little intersperses of the adult leads. A missed opportunity to get the actors that played the kids to come in and do a bit, especially Seth Green! But the second part where they let the male leads wax on about their experiences is great and fulfilling where the first half wasn't. Turns out everyone hates the spider.
(3.5 out of 5)
- Oct 2nd -
8.)
Commentary For Strange Behavior (1981) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Now this is a commentary! Some great stories about working in New Zealand, scoring and producing a relatively low budget movie. I hadn't even noticed that is is almost the same plot as Disturbing Behavior until one of the directors backhanded comments. Also there are some great stories about the main actor trying to bang everything on the set, my favorite kind of behind the scenes stories.
(4 out of 5)
9.)
The Gingerdead Man (2005) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Think Gary Busey as Chucky in cookie form with a budget less than the cost of an average car. About as bad as you would expect, similar to Severed in that it is mildly entertaining from time to time but not worth a revisit or reccomending to anyone. But, at least it's not as bad as Evil Bong 3, yikes!
(2 out of 5)
10.)
Tales Of Terror (1962) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A nice little Poe anthology each starring Vincent Price. The first episode is weak but Price is awesome as the fruity wine snob in the second episode. Part 3 is the best of the bunch and something I could see being made it's own film, really made me want to watch some Phibes.
(4 out of 5)
11.)
Mad Monster Party (1962) (Blu-Ray) **
My Thoughts: I wish I had seen this movie 20 years ago (I almost wrote 10 and then had to re-evaluate my answer, and my life), I think a kid me would have really enjoyed this. I still found it an interesting and unique watch and will defiantly be showing it to my kids when that time comes.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It's ok I do not care about the cartoon and I do not think that is a horror movie. So I am little disappointed.
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 3rd -
12.)
The Dentist (1996) (VHS)
My Thoughts: I hate the way this movie makes me feel. That squirmy, everything can go back to normal if he can just cover up this one thing. I hate it. The movie it's self is better than a direct to video release deserves to be and hey Mark Ruffalo! But I just can't stand watching it.
(3.5 out of 5)
- Oct 4th -
13.)
Screams Of A Winter Night (1979) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: Not bad, defiantly feels like a shoe string budget movie but 70's low budget just doesn't quite look as cheap as new cheap movies. But I liked it, I always like anthologies and it had a great little Cabin In The Woods vibe. Never understood the I'm too scared lets go home thing though, just a horrible movie conceit.
(3 out of 5)
14.)
Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) (DVD)
My Thoughts: A classic from my childhood. I have always liked this movie, I can even remember an instance in about maybe the 3rd grade where I was singing Sweet Transvestite around the house and my mom told me not to sing that at school. There is not nearly enough horror/scifi themed musicals.
(5 out of 5)
15.)
Scre4m (2011) (Blu-Ray) **
My Thoughts: How meta can you get indeed. Really good, way better than 2 and 3. And perhaps one of the best modern slashers I have seen. I loved how they evolved this series, I think it really fit with the Japanese title of this movie Scream: The Next Generation (although a name like that in the US would probably have sealed box office failure). On a side note: 00's teens could totally take these weak 10's teens.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Very violent, could not stand somehow and many famous people. I did not know thats Julia Roberts nephew... nephew female? Niece ne? You don't have to write those. So no more Scream 5 ne? Seems completed. And my guess is not. The first 3 not kill that fast, now seems stab stab stab stab stab.
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 5th -
16.)
Commentary For Scre4m (2011) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: After listening to the commentary for Strange Behavior and then this one I have come to the conclusion that film crews are to professional now a days. The juiciest bit I gleaned from this one was the guy doing the scream voice doing a little dirty talk to Hayden Panettiere. Craven is as always a consummate professional and there is a bit of Neve Campbell. Decent if average track.
(3 out of 5)
17.)
Revolt Of The Zombies (1936) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: I had high hopes for this this movie when the first scene involved voodoo zombies taking a trench (yes as in trench warfare) and not flenching while receiving a spray of gunfire. And then when a research team ventured into asia in search of the secret to zombie soldiers, I thought maybe. But everything just rang a little flat and boring to me. Interesting to look at but not to watch.
(2.5 out of 5)
18.)
Vampire Hookers (1978) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Admittedly a shitty movie but it was fun. 2 sailors (one who looks a lot like Mitt Romney) looking for a good time in the Philippines run afoul of a group of, yes you guessed it, vampire hookers. Also John Carradine and a healthy infusion for the boob stats.
(3.5 out of 5)
19.)
Encounter With The Unknown (1973) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A boring anthology that had Rod Sterling for apparently a day, or at least a few hours as the narrator tends to switch back and forth. Similar in feel to Screams Of A Winters Night but not quite as good, the stories are a bit tame and there is a lot of retread, the whole movie is basically recapped at the end. A little cutting and one more short story would have gone a long way to helping this turkey. At least bumping it up to a 3.
(2 out of 5)
20.)
Video Violence (1987) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: Feels kind of like a non-studio Troma movie. Shot on tape, bad acting, 1 monotonous synth song, poor editing, decent but obvious effects but I have to say I kind of enjoyed this. The plot was solid even though nothing else was. Kind of a poor mans Wicker Man feel to the whole thing. I am kind of excited to see if they perfected their craft in the making of the sequel.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Ridiculously stupid gross and could not expected the ending just too gross less story. I want to watch suspense not gross. Vomitando. (When asked if she wanted to see part 2 or just let me watch it by myself she opted to see it).
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 6th -
21.)
Night Of The Living Dead (1990) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: There is an internet uproar about the color scheme of this BR. And I have to say watching it last night I wouldn't have minded it being lighter but it was still amazing looking. And I think this darker version might even add a bit to the ambiance. On the movie, it doesn't hold a candle to the original but it is still a solid zombie flick and it got me excited for the upcoming season of The Walking Dead.
(3.5 out of 5)
22.)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: So this was one of those weird circumstances where I actually bought and watched the sequel before seeing the original. So this movie didn't blow me away as much as it could have but it was still really good. I hope that at some point I have the monies to finance such an elaborate revenge. One of Price's best characters.
(4 out of 5)
23.)
Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972) (DVD)
My Thoughts: More Phiby goodness. I love swapping London for Egypt and that we get to bring our bumbling detective along. Like the first we have some inventive kills. It does retread a bit at times but it's still a treat. It's too bad that a Phibes trilogy couldn't be made. The film is certainty set up for it and easily good enough to warrant one.
(4 out of 5)
24.)
Scanners II: The New Order (1991) (VHS)
My Thoughts: This movie is better than it has any right to be as a cash grab direct to video sequel. It was good enough that for years after that I would rent any iteration of direct to video releases, most with disappointing results as I recall. While there is no one to Ironside levels in this cast it has a solid story with flavors of Bronson & Akira. Also there has something about secret government projects I have always loved, especially when they inevitably have to go rouge.
(4 out of 5)
25.)
Chopping Mall (1986) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A cinematic classic. A deep look at consumerism and it's effect on Gen Xers. But in all seriousness we have Barbara Crampton, Dick Miller, killer robots, set in a mall, with plenty of boobs and kills, it's a cheesy delight.
(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Choto very unrealistic today. Look like fat people electronic car. I think shouldn't fight ne? Just hide is better. Story ga nothing only 3 star.
(3 out of 5)
26.)
Commentary For Night Of The Living (1990) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: A Tom Savini solo commentary carried over, I am told, from the DVD. It is a little dry but highly informative. Makes me wonder if I should give Children Of The Living Dead another chance.
(3 out of 5)
- Oct 7th -
27.)
Netherworld (1992) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: After watching something like Gingerdead Man and then this you have got to ask yourself wtf happened to Full Moon? This is by no means a great movie but at least it feels like a movie. Quality sets/actors/effects, seriously what happened? On a side note, in movies where brothels are prominent set pieces I expect much much more nudity.
(3 out of 5)
28.)
Night Fright (1967) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: A lame bigfoot-esk alien crashes just outside of town and proceeds to harass it's stereotypical 50's townsfolk. Waste of time. Sometimes I hate the checklist, but hey it is better than Severed and The Gingerdead Man.
(2.5 out of 5)
29.)
Scream Queen Hot Tub Party (1991) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A nice little TnA matinee. For those times when you really just want to see 30-35 minuets of non-stop nudity. It was really enjoyable, don't expect a plot or anything but If you enjoy one of the 5 mainliners they will be naked, multiple times, throughout the course of the "movie". And there is also plenty of scenes from other movies, most of which I have surprisingly not seen!
(4 out of 5)
30.)
Animation Domination Halloween Specials (2012) (TV)*
My Thoughts: One of my favorite halloween traditions, although it did fall a bit early this year. The Simpsons and Bob's Burgers were the winners this year, Cleveland show had a decent showing and despite promotional materials Family Guy and American Dad ran non-seasonal episodes. Still a great time though.
(4 out of 5)
31.)
The House Of The Devil (2009) (Blu-Ray)**
My Thoughts: I was lamenting last challenge that I am a little sad every time I see a great 80's horror movies that I have never seen before because that is one less that I will discover in the future. But little did I know that they are still making great 80's horror movies! This was a treat, we don't really get these effective slow burn horror movies anymore. Easily in the running for best FTV of the challenge.
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Thats pretty good beginning, I like it. Middle is little boring but it is great movie. I like that kind of suspense, I like it good movie.
(4 out of 5)
- Oct 8th -
32.)
Commentary For The House Of The Devil (2009) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Decent track, nothing too amazing but I am liking this TI West guy. This is the first film of his I have seen but I will defiantly be more inclines to see his work in the future.
(3.5 out of 5)
33.)
Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Ah, the beginning of Jason's supernatural super-zombie phase. Parts 6-8 are the ones they always played on tv when I was a kid so they hold a special place in my psyche. There is a lot more humor in this one than in other entries and a lot less boobs (as in none). One of Jason's more average outings but I did like how they decided to go super strong on re-animated Voorhees.
(3 out of 5)
34.)
Gingerdead Man 2: The Passion Of The Crust (2008) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Wow, my expectations were pretty low after the first one but this was surprisingly decent. Kind of a Terror Firmer rip-off (never thought I would ever say that) as the Gingerdead Man kills his way across a low-budget horror set (fake Full Moon). I think this might be the only Full Moon movie made post 1998 that I have actually liked. Also Michele Bauer (albeit an older more clothed version).
(3.5 out of 5)
35.)
Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Hey I met that girl during the 2010 OHMC! I liked this one, too be sure it is by the numbers but adding the telekinetic girl really spiced it up a bit. Would have been nice to have her come back later in the series as maybe Jason's nemesis. And since it seems to be all the rage in the main thread I like this one better than Goes To Hell, FvJ, Part V, Part VI & the reboot. Also first Kane Hodder Jason.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: That is good but kinda guess what happen (Of course you can it's a Friday The 13th Movie). I know again killing too much kind of gross. Hope they have little more detail about that main character maybe.
(3.5 out of 5)
- Oct 9th -
36.)
Deadgirl (2008) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Two highschool boys find a hot chained up zombie and then they and their friends proceed to fuck it with wild abandon. This movie was awesome, I mean who hasn't at least thought about it... It's sick, funny, original and comes with one of my highest levels of recommendation (to the right audience). I would love to see a short story prequel as a supplemental on the upcoming sequel, the whole set up is just so intriguing.
(5 out of 5)
More →
Part II Or Scroll ↓

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-05-14 at 04:26 PM.