Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon - Texans to pay sales tax starting July 1

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon - Texans to pay sales tax starting July 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Amazon - Texans to pay sales tax starting July 1

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Good question. They do all the math when you place the order, but don't charge your card until they ship. I'm inclined to think they won't charge tax on any order before July 1.
I inquired about this a couple of weeks ago and received this response last Tuesday.

Hello,

Effective July 1, 2012, Amazon.com LLC, Amazon Digital Services, Inc. and its subsidiaries are required to begin collecting sales tax on items shipped to destinations within the State of Texas.

Please note that if you place an order prior to July 1, 2012, your Order Total may not include an estimate of Texas sales taxes. On orders prepared for shipment and shipped on or after July 1, 2012, taxes will be due and will be charged.

Thank you for being a valued Amazon customer. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?
They answered the question, but I hesitate to say the problem was solved.
Old 05-17-12, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

fuck, so preordering anything right now that will ship after July 1st will still be charged sales tax *sigh* time to cancel a few preorders I made.
Old 05-21-12, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

goddamn it. I'm going to be taxed here. FUCK.

Now no matter what...$9.99 doesn't exist exactly unless the tax adds up to that. FUCK. ME. GODAMNIT ALL TO HELL.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-21-12 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Made an Amazon order today (grabbing some odd stuff before July 1st). My summary email included this line:

Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00

I guess it was probably on the order summary page proper, but I didn't notice. blargh...
Old 06-21-12, 01:04 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup! Amazon, first get 'em hooked... and they'll keep coming back for more. California distribution center opening just outside of L.A.= insta tax!

Tell you one thing... all major purchases (scratch that, actually anything over $50) I'll be shopping elsewhere for. Thank God for B&H in New York... they have a pretty wide electronics selection (I buy most of my gear from them anyway). I would normally price compare at Amazon just to be sure but I would mainly purchase from B&H for anything over $100.

Also, I'll have to reconsider our Amazon Prime membership.

Fucking California sales tax is the worst in the country. Fuck Governor Brown. It's a little known fact (and even before Amazon's CA Distribution center), but every state in the country can thank that fuckwad Brown for really getting the ball rolling on implementing sales tax on online purchases.
Old 06-24-12, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
Yup! Amazon, first get 'em hooked... and they'll keep coming back for more. California distribution center opening just outside of L.A.= insta tax!

Tell you one thing... all major purchases (scratch that, actually anything over $50) I'll be shopping elsewhere for. Thank God for B&H in New York... they have a pretty wide electronics selection (I buy most of my gear from them anyway). I would normally price compare at Amazon just to be sure but I would mainly purchase from B&H for anything over $100.

Also, I'll have to reconsider our Amazon Prime membership.

Fucking California sales tax is the worst in the country. Fuck Governor Brown. It's a little known fact (and even before Amazon's CA Distribution center), but every state in the country can thank that fuckwad Brown for really getting the ball rolling on implementing sales tax on online purchases.
My Prime account will also not be renewed after they start charging sales tax. I'll look for other avenues to buy these products that don't illegally charge sales tax. Thankfully Target has 5% everyday with their Credit Card so I expect to be using them more and more.
Old 06-25-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
?.....

Is Brown the reason California's base sales tax is the highest in the US? (By the way some counties in the US actually have higher rates then those in CA.)

The reason I ask is the fact that I have been paying the same percentage since before Brown took office.

Not sure what little known fact you are referring to but California was not the first state to get the ball rolling concerning Amazon and sales taxes.
Old 07-01-12, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has begun.
Old 08-01-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I placed an order for Mel Brooks BD and a third party fulfilled by Amazon BD.

I was charged 8.25% sales tax on the Mel Brooks BD and NONE on the fullfilled by Amazon BD.

1) I was expecting 6.25% since that is the amount of STATE sales tax. The other 2% is city sales tax. (Now there's no reason AT ALL not to PM Best Buy).
2) I was surprised to not be charge sales tax on third party items since techically I thought they were under that same umbrella.

Anyone know how legally they can charge city sales tax when (to my knowledge) there is no deal with any city to charge their sales tax.
Old 08-01-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always had to pay sales tax on Amazon stuff. I just dont understand why people are getting so upset. How is it an illegal sales tax? Please enlighten me.
Old 08-02-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go to a state that has no sales tax and buy something you pay no sales tax. Here they are basing the tax on where you live rather than where you are buying it from. Of course I may be wrong. I know with cars they charge tax by where you register it too. But most purchases don't require registration.
Old 08-02-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I placed an order for Mel Brooks BD and a third party fulfilled by Amazon BD.

I was charged 8.25% sales tax on the Mel Brooks BD and NONE on the fullfilled by Amazon BD.

1) I was expecting 6.25% since that is the amount of STATE sales tax. The other 2% is city sales tax. (Now there's no reason AT ALL not to PM Best Buy).
2) I was surprised to not be charge sales tax on third party items since techically I thought they were under that same umbrella.

Anyone know how legally they can charge city sales tax when (to my knowledge) there is no deal with any city to charge their sales tax.
the third party seller is probably in CA (or whatever state your in). They have always charged sales tax for 3rd party sales as long as I can remember.