Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (3D) (2012)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-05-12, 10:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.movieweb.com/news/cirque-...mount-pictures

"Paramount Pictures and Cirque du Soleil jointly announced today that the studio has acquired worldwide distribution rights to the Cirque du Soleil 3D feature film entitled Cirque du Soleil Worlds Away. Written and directed by Andrew Adamson (Shrek, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe), and executive produced by Academy Award winning filmmaker James Cameron, the 3D film event features artistic and acrobatic performances from some of the most elaborate Cirque du Soleil productions. The film was produced by Adamson, Aron Warner, Cirque's Martin Bolduc and Ed Jones and Cary Granat. Vince Pace oversaw the 3D stereo production aspect of the film.

A number of production companies collaborated to bring the film to life. In addition to Cirque, Warner and Adamson's Strange Weather Productions, Reel FX and Cameron Pace Group all contributed to this groundbreaking production.

"The coupling of filmmaker James Cameron's groundbreaking 3D visual accomplishments and Andrew Adamson's beautiful direction, combined with a timeless original story written especially for this movie, will make for a truly amazing movie going experience for audiences of all ages," said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman of Paramount Pictures.

Said Jacques Méthé, Executive Producer, General Manager, Images, Events, Lifestyle of Cirque du Soleil, "This 3D event brings the spectator beyond what they could see at a show, it takes them on the stage. This unique point of view allows the audience to discover the artistic details of our productions and reveal the human spirit that our artists bring to the audience in their performances. Jim and Andrew have masterfully captured what a Cirque du Soleil 3D experience could offer and Paramount will present it to the world.""
Old 06-29-12, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (3D) (2012)

Uh....wow.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/phLl1JWNVw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-29-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Having seen several of the shows live, this should be pretty phenomenal.
Old 06-29-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cirque shows are breathtaking, but I have no interest in this. I've tried to watch some shows on tv and I can last for maybe a minute. It's just not the same thing. The best part of Cirque shows is actually being there and watching the performers do what they do live and the sets are all amazing. You lose all the magic when you watch it on a screen. Granted, a large movie screen would be much better than watching it on a tv at home, but it would still pale in comparison to watching it live. I mean it's like watching a concert on tv or on a movie screen vs a live show from a fairly close distance away. The other thing about Cirque shows, at least all the ones I've been to, is that the theaters are relatively small (few thousand people) so it's not like you're watching from 50 rows back and can barely make anything out, plus stuff is happening over your heads and all around you. Again, the live event is just so much more engrossing.

And I hate 3D with a passion so that does nothing for me, but of course that's just personal opinion.
Old 06-29-12, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido

And I hate 3D with a passion so that does nothing for me, but of course that's just personal opinion.
While I'm more in the dislike for 3D as a feature for filmmaking...have you seen films w/ good 3D? Avatar, Hugo, and Prometheus had great 3D. Not enough films to justify it still being around but it's here...and those are the gold titles for that format.
Old 06-29-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
While I'm more in the dislike for 3D as a feature for filmmaking...have you seen films w/ good 3D? Avatar, Hugo, and Prometheus had great 3D. Not enough films to justify it still being around but it's here...and those are the gold titles for that format.
Yeah, I've seen supposed "good" 3D. Still hated it. I saw Avatar opening weekend in 3D and ended up going back to see it again in 2D. Not necessarily because I liked it so much that I just had to see it again (although I did like it very much) the 3D actually distracted me and I got much more out of the experience the second time in 2D. I never saw Hugo and I purposely went to the 2D showing of Prometheus. I've seen some other recent movies that supposedly had very good 3D and wasn't impressed with those either.

Maybe it's just me, but like I said, it actually distracts me and really adds no benefit, but again, that's just me personally. If people like 3D that's fine. I just won't go see that showing. What sucks is that there's an Ultrascreen near me and almost 100% of the time, the movie that I want to see is showing in 3D on the Ultrascreen, so I have to watch the 2D version on one of the small, crappy screens.
Old 06-30-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

This was shot in 3-D, so it's got that going for it. If it were some bullshit post-conversion I wouldn't even bother with it.
Old 06-30-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Could that trailer's music be worse?
Old 12-16-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Saw this yesterday and am pleased to find there's already a thread for it.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I've seen several of the touring shows and several of the films. I agree it's not the same as seeing it live--I was saying to myself "This might not be on water at all but on a dry platform with visual effects, plus they can do multiple takes," plus a movie focuses my attention rather than taking in lots of different things. But I've never seen any of the Vegas shows, so most of it was new to me. I'm not a big 3D fan, but the effect seemed intermittent and the film did look good.

I'm at the press release trumpeting the "timeless original story" since it was a pretty simple framing device.
Old 12-17-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the trailer for this, before The Collection, on a giant screen. This looks awesome, I've never been interested in seeing a Cirque show before. I'm in.
Old 12-17-12, 02:48 PM

I honestly don't get the release of this movie - is it wide, limited? why is info on Regal and AMC theaters here in the DC area so vague. found an afternoon screening that the whole family is going to on the 27th, but jeesh...
Old 12-18-12, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Limited here (one or two theaters, not chains, theaters). Going Monday. Can't wait Never seen a Cirque show although I've seen snippets and I've seen the same type of shows.
Old 12-25-12, 02:24 AM

I saw it last night to a good sized crowd, on a huge screen. They gave us blue & white glasses. Never having seen a Cirque show, I thought it was dope. I smoked before hand, so it was EVEN better. I'd actually see it again, easily. Something odd, it's playing at several theaters near me, all of which only show it at, 12:00 & 7:00 only. What's up with that ?
Old 12-25-12, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was going to be better than it was My mind kept wandering away so I missed parts here and there. I watched a movie right after and -that- kept my attention. I think I missed a good chunk of the finale I guess it doesn't translate well to the screen. And aeralists are my favorite! Noon and 7p here also in select theaters.
Old 12-25-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
My mind kept wandering away so I missed parts here and there. I watched a movie right after and -that- kept my attention. I think I missed a good chunk of the finale
In other words you fell asleep
Old 12-25-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
In other words you fell asleep
No, I didn't, but I kept thinking over stuff I had to do that day, training for the next day, other movies, etc.
Old 12-25-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And hey, if the only good review it has so far is from a guy who smoked beforehand, the movie's in trouble
Old 12-25-12, 10:40 AM

And hey, if the only good review it has so far is from a guy who smoked beforehand, the movie's in trouble
Old 12-25-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Post #9
Old 12-27-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved the one live Cirque show I've attended (Mystére). I was game during this film's "narrative" opening, but then fell asleep soon after, as there's really no story onto which to grasp. Also, while the stunts are all legit, it just doesn't have the same impact as it does live. Perhaps if they even used unedited takes and removed the slo-mo shots, it might have showcased the acrobatics a bit better. The most interesting portion for me were the Beatles acts taken from Love.

In any case, the film did afflict me with a terrible crush on the main midget-pixie girl.
Old 12-28-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this yesterday. I guess I was expecting something different. This film is a just a bunch of different acts of current shows mashed into one. If you haven't seen any shows but are planning to, I'd suggest not seeing this....as it contains some spoilers.
Old 12-28-12, 10:35 PM

seeing this in 2D was not ideal in my book, but damn, this movie really was a disappointment. The compilation DVD 'Flowers in the Desert' is superior in the simple fact that it doesn't try to have an intertwining story to bridge the segments - which IMO were pretty weak. The pacing of the movie was also a bit boring. The 5.1 mix for the 'Love' scenes are great since they are already mixed that way, but the audio mix in general was a mixed bag where the sound seemed to be coming from the left hand of the screen. The DCP digital presentation was also grainy, and looked like upgraded DVD, nothing like Sony's Hot Tix Cirque Show 'Delirium' which while not in 3D was simply eye searing and ultra sharp in clarity and color intensity. I'll see this again in 3D this time, to see if my opinion changes but in all honesty this was a letdown.
Old 12-28-12, 11:08 PM

I just got tickets to the final night, LA performance of Iris. The movie motivated me to see a live show, for the first time. I'm sure we'll enjoy it.....and yes, I will smoke again before
Old 12-29-12, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
I just got tickets to the final night, LA performance of Iris. The movie motivated me to see a live show, for the first time. I'm sure we'll enjoy it.....and yes, I will smoke again before
that's the performance with the theme of 'the movies' at the Dolby Theater - I would have loved to have seen it, when I was there recently in LA, but didn't have enough time to pencil it in to my schedule.
Old 12-29-12, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
that's the performance with the theme of 'the movies' at the Dolby Theater - I would have loved to have seen it, when I was there recently in LA, but didn't have enough time to pencil it in to my schedule.
Awesome, it should be great.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.