Re: 5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge List Thread

Goal: 100
Legend:
First Time Views *
Watched With Wife *
- June 30th -
1.)
The Thing (1982) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Arg, picture boxed!!! I had a girlfriend once ask me why I bought widescreen movies when I only had a fullscreen tv. I told her that I would eventually have a widescreen tv and that I wouldn't have to re-buy anything since I had already bought all my movies in widescreen. Little did I know about all this fucking picture boxing! Regarding the movie it is my perpetual #2 greatest movie of all time (at least that is what Flickchart tells me). Also to any other fans out there I recommend checking out this analysis on YouTube.
(5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: (Disclaimer: Wife often dislikes awesome movies if tired) "They did not talk about where is that come from and I understand that's a contagious type but still just story just changing so quick. And I do not like ending and become a little silly and I was a little tired."
(3 out of 5)
2.)
Dark Star (1974) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Well this like almost all comedies didn't really age well. But for some reason I find the whole thing interesting in a conceptual way. The movie, plot, acting, effects, sets, ect are subpar but still, I was intrigued with the beach ball alien and the existential bomb conversation. Not enough to recommend the film but enough to warrant this re-watch.
(2.5 out of 5)
3.)
Metropolis (2001) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: When I was younger the Sci-Fi channel was constantly running the trailer for this movie (some sort of anime club where this was the first title you would get) and I was always somewhat intrigued by it. I never got it due to the stigma on anime but last year it was in the Big Lots $3 bin so I decided to give it a go. An above average if dated anime and as expected everything goes bat-shit crazy in the 3rd act. I liked it but probably not as much as I would have 11 years ago.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Pretty good but ending choto weird and need something ending. Sado ne? He tried to save her but he could not, I expected a little more happy ending. If ending is good i'm going to give them 4 but nah."
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 1st -
4.)
Sunshine (2007) (DVD)
My Thoughts: A dark Event Horizon-esk hard science space flick. The previous description would get me to buy any movie. And this one worked for me, not so sure about the sun addiction aspect but overall, interesting take on the genre. Ever since the first time I saw Alien I have always been intrigued by the derelict spacecraft. Yes it is always a bad idea to check it out but it is something I have always wanted to do.
(4 out of 5)
5.)
Inception (2010) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: It's eXistenZ for the masses. I could gush over this movie but you've seen it, you know. And if you haven't go see it already!
(5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Fuck confusing. ("OK hold on... OK I have "Fuck confusing".") I didn't say fuck, it is very confusing changing the scene all the time very difficult to follow the stories. E.ven they use the good actor and actress I am so confused and don't care about it I am glad to watch at home."
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 2nd -
6.)
Commentary For RoboCop (1987) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Not really a fan of split commentaries but this one was pretty good. I dug Verhoven's take on the material and his often humorous English (Cater-Pillar), makes me wish there were some Klaus Kinski commentaries. And the other participants had some interesting behind the scenes stories to contribute. I wonder how this commentary compares to the other non-Criterion ones available. Also on another note, Criterion e tu? With the picture boxing?
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 3rd -
7.)
Oblivion (1994) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Pretty good for a full moon movie, cheap and cheesy but compared to the trash they are turning out nowadays an excellent entry into their library. Also I love me some stop motion monsters.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Always same pattern, obviously creepy creature come out. I can guess the ending but this time George Takei is there so I can give them 3.0 star. I was wondering how much money they can make on this movie?"
(3 out of 5)
8.)
Dark Shadows (2012) (Theater)**
My Thoughts: I was really expecting this to suck but it was actually quite enjoyable. While I thought Burton's Alice in Wonderland fell sort of flat I really enjoyed this gothy period piece of his. Very reminiscent of the Adams Family (the house especially). I was enjoying this movie at about a 4/5 until the ending, it was just too by the numbers, it needed something extra. Also the movie felt a bit too tightened at places like we were missing some interesting exposition/development/whatever.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Johnny Depp movie almost always same ending but Johnny Depp is so so so cute. I cannot believe he is 40's and they use few famous people ne? I can guess the ending."
(3.5 out of 5)
9.)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: I haven't seen this movie since I was maybe 12 years old and even then it was vhs on a 27" tv. Today's viewing was like night and day, the movie still meanders a lot but it is beautiful. And it is a lot more thought provoking than I remember. It in fact got me really exited to see 2010 again, now if I can just find the BR for <$10 we'll be in business.
(4.5 out of 5)
- July 4th -
10.)
Independence Day (1996) (DVD)
My Thoughts: A classic from my childhood, a cheesy classic for sure but one that has always held a special place for me. And I know it is ridiculous but that 3rd act always gets me. Why they never sequalized this property is beyond me, seems like every few years they tease us with ID5 ideas but none have ever come to fruition these past 16 years. I think the first repo movie poster I ever bought was for ID4. The critic in me can't see anyone giving this movie over a 3.5 but... ah memories.
(4 out of 5)
11.)
Green Lantern 3D (2011) (Blu-Ray)**
My Thoughts: Well it did look fantastic on my 3DTV. It was pretty run of the mill though. Although that could be due to me being a Marvel Zombie from way back. I would be willing to give a sequel the benefit of the doubt though.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Ryan Reynolds is sexy but its the story contents it's very ordinary nothing special and a little disappointing. Hope I can see the sequel but seems this movie did pretty bad so I cannot expect it. I like Marvel better demo seems DC is older (followed by some unintelligible Japanese)."
(3.5 out of 5)
12.)
Commentary For 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: A thorough commentary by the two main leads. A lot of interesting tid bits here but the track is bit heavy on the Kubrick idolizing. I have noticed as of recent that older actors give pretty good commentary, even if you don't agree with what they are saying, perhaps it comes from being a naturally good storyteller.
(4 out of 5)
- July 5th -
13.)
Cyber Ninja (1988) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A so bad it's good affair. I kind of wish I had watched this for the B-Movie challenge as it would have been an awesome for it. Ridiculous robot ninjas, Power Ranger style badies and Japanese buildings that turn into Giant Robots! This reminds me of Robo Geisha but it is so much better. Only problem is that it seems a little kiddy but that might have a little something to due with dubbing.
(3.5 out of 5)
14.)
The Crazies (1973) (VHS)
My Thoughts: So I bought this movie around '98-'99 based on director name recognition and I didn't really care for it. So I watch it again every 4-5 years thinking that maybe this time things will be different. But they never are. It's just too boring, the disease is too mild and the acting (with 3 notable exceptions) too dull. I will give this movie credit for doing a lot of things way before similar movies did but that and those 3 interesting actors is about it (it takes a little more than ideas and faces to make a good movie). Fingers crossed for the remake though.
(2.5 out of 5)
15.)
Leviathan (1989) (VHS)
My Thoughts: My favorite of the late eighties underwater movies and yes that does include Abyss. An excellent fusion of Alien, The Thing and a few other flicks along with an 80's star studded cast. All of that being said this is probably the only 4/5 you are bound to see for this title.
(4 out of 5)
- July 6th -
16.)
The Last Sentinel (2007) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A backlot post-apocalyptic Universal Solider knock off with Starbuck shoehorned in. And it surprisingly wasn't so terribly awful. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination but it was interesting enough in an cheesy action sort of way. I remember when this came out back during the height of BSG-Fever that a lot of people really hated it due to the misleading cover. Kind of feels like an episode of Sliders, without the Sliders.
(3 out of 5)
17.)
The Shape Of Things To Come (1979) (DVD)**
My Thoughts: This cover wrote a check that the movie just couldn't cash. Now you got to remember 1979 is the year Alien came out so I was maybe a bit over jazzed to see this. Unfortunately the effects were awful, 50's/60's style done in almost the 80's. There were a few fun almost Barbarella moments but otherwise this one was also pretty boring. Maybe if I was drunk or listening to a rifftrax of this title...expectations were just too high.
(2 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "I did not expect anything great that beginning. And story wise mmm and robot creepy and I did not understand what they want to tell or what they want to say just no meaning."
(2 out of 5)
18.)
I Am Legend (2007) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: A great adaptation of this property with a few caveats. Obviously the CG monsters is the biggest detractor to this property. Also we are missing one of my favorite aspect of the other 2 adaptations the "Oh fuck, I have been killing these things for years and they are not quite as monsterish as I had thought." They kind of tired to hit on this last note but not very effectively IMO. Still a great movie though.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Pretty good pretty good. Demo dog died thats Will Smith thats his fault he shouldn't stay there then dog wouldn't die. They going to have sequel? I guess not. 2012 Sept 9th, not yet. (Which ending did you like?) Movie version is more I am Legend, match with the movie title and more... I don't know mysterious type but DVD version they can make the sequel."
(4.5 out of 5)
- July 7th -
19.)
He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe S01E01-04 (1983) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Oh no, wolf-bats! So I am a bit too young to have caught this while it was on TV. But as it is constantly referenced and WM had season 1 for $3 I though it would give it a go. It was fun and campy but the whole time I kind of wished I was watching TMNT. Guess you just had to be there.
(3 out of 5)
20.)
Highlander (1986) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: This movie has no business being as good as it is. It is completely cheesy, low budget, ridiculous trash but it really hits the spot. The flashbacks are a great juxtaposition to the current day gathering. The message of this one is a bit diminished by the sequels, this is one of those movies that was meant to be self contained. On a quality note, I know that the DVD is really old but man it looks awful, and even awful compared to VHS sourced DVDs. I think this one might warrant an upgrade.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Good but so many simmilar movie, cannot die and live forever. Name another of these cannt die, live forever movies. Black Shadow. ...Dark Shadows? He was a vampire!. Bit that guy is not normal people too, he is cannot die... City of Angel. He was an angel and he died. But he choose, if he angel then cannot die." (Then I gave up)
(3 out of 5)
- July 8th -
21.)
Arcade (1993) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Holy bad Tron of the nineties! How have I never seen this movie before?!?! A must see for ay child of the 90's, a bevy of recognizable faces, some awful/awesome 90's effects. Think Max Headroom meets the pinball story from Nightmares. I loved this movie, most won't, but it worked for me on so many levels. Now if I can just find a pack of square Jolly Ranchers. Oh and directed by Albert Pyun of 90's Capitan America failure fame.
(4.5 out of 5)
22.)
Dr. Alien (1989) (DVD)**
My Thoughts: Full Moon bringing the win here in the late 80's / early 90's. What we have here is an awesomely bad scifi sex comedy with plenty of great nudity. And some of those boobs even belong to Michelle Bauer & Linnea Quigley! I had a great time with this one, and highly recommend it to any fan of eighties sex comedies.
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Thats one of the best full moon movie, except... what was that.. tunneler... what was that series...? Puppet Master is the best this is the second best Full Moon. Cute movie. Choto stupid but sexy stilly 4 star."
(4 out of 5)
- July 9th -
23.)
The Crazies (2010) (Blu-Ray)**
My Thoughts: Ah, now here is this property done right! A remake that is leaps and bounds ahead of the original. It's not boring, the disease is much worse and good acting this time around. This one is like a dark, no hope version of Outbreak, I would put it right up there with Contagion as one of my favorite disease movies.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Pretty good thats reming me of Jericho or Old Town Vincennes. It's very good I like it. I will give them 4 star but they need a little more I don't know deep story seems like that ending just try to escape."
(4 out of 5)
- July 10th -
24.)
Angel-A (2005) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Strangely compelling, this really reminds me of Six and Baltar from the BSG reboot. And not just because this girl is a dead ringer for an almost exactly dressed as the former but their weird relationship... The guy I could take or leave, he seems like a standard archetypal euro loser, but the girl is really hard to get out of your mind. And the movie being in French adds a certain air of... sordidness to it.
(3.5 out of 5)
25.)
Dark City (1998) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I guess I didn't pay enough attention back when I originally saw this movie or perhaps the Director's cut adds quite a bit but I didn't remember almost any of this. It was great and I remember liking it when I first saw it too but I guess it just didn't leave much of an impression on me. This time in HD I don't think that will really hold true though. It was visually very exciting and very interesting and though provoking. Now I really want to revisit The Matrix and The Thirteenth Floor.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "I like it. But always some alien or creature or whatever is white face with hat and black jacket so that looks very obvious. And I think I watch those kind of movie before, that is very similar that change the memory stuff. "
(4 out of 5)
26.)
Outbreak (1995) (VHS)*
My Thoughts: Ah the nineties, back when everything always worked out, no matter how many attack helicopters where chasing you. I guess this was the last decade that we really felt invincible, before the dark times, before the empire (I mean 9/11). You would never see the town nuked or the virus getting out to a larger city. It might fall under the guise of a feel good virus movie. Solid if a bit glossy.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Very good I like it, many famous people. Monkey cute, I love it 4 star. Don't believe that general order, don't follow."
(4 out of 5)
- July 11th -
27.)
Commentary For Dark City (1998) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: While I don't always agree with Ebert he does give good commentary... or used to at any rate. Easily some of the best analytic commentary on disc. However I think it might have been fun to throw Jennifer Connelly into the booth with him on this one. Or even Linnea Quigley.
(4.5 out of 5)
28.)
Highlander II: The Quickening (1991) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: I remember linking this one as a kid but yeah watching it now it plays pretty low brow, still fun though. Kind of like they tried to mix Highlander with Dune with a bit of dystopian future to top it off. It is visually pretty entertaining and I really liked the future corporation subplot. In fact that could have been a good movie all on it's own without the highlander propriety shoehorned in, and I wonder if maybe it even started that way.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Little disappointed because 2014 that looks nothing like 2014 at all and doesn't have that great story so I don't think thats much success at all."
(3 out of 5)
- July 12th -
29.)
Deepstar Six (1989) (VHS)
My Thoughts: I was fascinated with this VHS cover as a child, I would always gravitate towards it and Def-Con 4 in the video store. It has been awhile since I have seen this one and it was actually quite good. Aside from a few lackluster exterior underwater effects everything else was 80's good. Almost exactly mirroring Leviathan cast and plot progression wise it is an interesting watch so soon after the former.
(3.5 out of 5)
30.)
Of Unknown Origin (1983) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Robocop takes on his greatest challenge yet, a diabolically smart gigantic new york rat. I kind of feel like this myself myself sometime when I am hunting pests too, a bit cheesy but fun. Also I got to remember this mind fuck the guy does to Peter Weller in this movie; something like "Your only thinking about him 20% of the time but it's thinking about you 100% of the time because it has nothing better to do..."
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "It's pretty good but this is not scifi movie. Why is that scifi? Very unrealistic. Give 3 star. that guy is a Robocop guy so it's a already have image Robocop. And that wife is nice ne? 'What happened? Ah we have party', I say what the heck this happen this house, thats what (I) gonna say."
(3 out of 5)
- Friday The 13th -
31.) - 34.)
Friday The 13th: S02E01-04 (1988) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: We have a Lewis/Cthulu Mansion/Night of the Demons episode, a voodoo episode, an insane asylum/evil radio episode, and a cult raise the dead/cursed coin episode. All enjoyable, the lewis episode the least so and the insane asylum the most so. They go a bit far on the "On no (insert main character) is dead" the first few episodes but some corny fun.
(3.5 out of 5)
35.) - 36.)
Jason X (2001) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: One of the first R rated movies I saw in the theater (that I didn't have to sneak into). I didn't care for this iteration the first few times I saw it but like with every F13th movie I seem to constantly be drawn back to it. And I dare say it holds up quite well, I would say even better than parts 5-9. I wouldn't even mind seeing a true sequel on Earth 2, seeing as the is last real Friday the 13th movie. Also before there was Jason X there was Apollo The 13th: Jason Takes Nasa!
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Ummm good but it's unrealistic and I understand they try to make more stories but it getting ridiculous. They cannot keep making that stories, nah. "
(3 out of 5)
- July 14th -
37.)
House (1977) (Blu-Ray)**
My Thoughts: What an awesomely weird movie. Very 70's and very Japanese mixed the sensibilities of over the top kids show with enough morbidness to make it interesting. I really liked this movie and not just because of the booze, it was different without being boring or pretentious.
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Well... extremely creepy but secretly some famous people, director is famous now. Very creepy way to show love and I am so scared of white cat now."
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 15th -
38.)
Futurama (4 Random Episodes) (1999) (TV)
My Thoughts: I don't know how this show was ever canceled. Ot os easily one of the best animated shows ever. Not sure if the new seasons on Comedy Central really hold up to the first 4 seasons but it's better than not having them at all. That gets me thinking... I wonder when the next season of Archer starts...
(4 out of 5)
39.)
Escape 2000 (1982) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: I bought this on VHS as a kid because of the awesome cover but never really liked it until I bought the DVD some years later. A fun Aussie exploitation flick if you are in the right mood.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Too violentas, I don't understand why title is Escape 2000, does not make sense at all. And I do not understand the concept to make this movie just too violent does not have enough story. I don't understand why people make these no stories. "
(3 out of 5)
More →
Part II Or Scroll ↓

Last edited by SterlingBen; 07-15-13 at 08:21 PM.