Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

is hulu plus worth it ?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

is hulu plus worth it ?

Old 06-18-12, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is hulu plus worth it ?

Hi everyone i have a question, is Hulu plus worth paying 7.99 a month ? I have netflix streaming and i love it. I understand hulu plus shows current seasons of tv shows and new episodes are available the next day. also they carry criterion films also. I appreciate everyone's opinions
Old 06-18-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: is hulu plus worth it ?

I have it, but if you hate watching commercials, then the answer is no. They show 30 second to 1:30 worth of commercials at every break. Alot of the posters here hate it because they don't believe in paying for a subscription service with advertisements.

Pretty much mostly NBC, CW, ABC and FOX shows are Hulu Plus supported (being able to stream it in HD on your XBox 360 or BD player)

FOX unfortunately has an 8-day delay posting their shows.

It's been said before in other threads, alot of shows are not Hulu Plus supported and cannot be streamed in HD on your TV and are web only. That is another issue alot of the posters here have. Your not going to see shows like Burn Notice or Sons of Anarchy on Hulu Plus.

On the plus side, the advantage of it is being able to stream most current network shows and being able to watch them at your leisure without expiration dates like free Hulu. Hulu usually keeps the entire season up. The exception is The CW, they only keep the last 5-6 episodes (but are still Hulu Plus supported) Once the TV season ends and another new season is getting ready to air, the previous season will most likely be deleted.

I don't know if you saw, but there is a Streaming Talk forum and I already explained alot of this in one of the threads there.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...e-legally.html

Last edited by DJariya; 06-18-12 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-18-12, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I have it, but if you hate watching commercials, then the answer is no. They show 30 second to 1:30 worth of commercials at every break. Alot of the posters here hate it because they don't believe in paying for a subscription service with advertisements.

Pretty much mostly NBC, CW, ABC and FOX shows are Hulu Plus supported (being able to stream it in HD on your XBox 360 or BD player)

FOX unfortunately has an 8-day delay posting their shows.

It's been said before in other threads, alot of shows are not Hulu Plus supported and cannot be streamed in HD on your TV and are web only. That is another issue alot of the posters here have. Your not going to see shows like Burn Notice or Sons of Anarchy on Hulu Plus.

On the plus side, the advantage of it is being able to stream most current network shows and being able to watch them at your leisure without expiration dates like free Hulu. Hulu usually keeps the entire season up. The exception is The CW, they only keep the last 5-6 episodes (but are still Hulu Plus supported) Once the TV season ends and another new season is getting ready to air, the previous season will most likely be deleted.

I don't know if you saw, but there is a Streaming Talk forum and I already explained alot of this in one of the threads there.
oh aight thanks alot i will be checking out that streaming talk forum, i appreciate your response. I have a netgear neo tv streaming player and i use netflix on it but it also has hulu plus and if it was worth paying 7.99 a month for it, i mean 7.99 is not breaking the bank but i wanted people opinion. once again thank you for your opinion.
Old 06-19-12, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Hulu Plus also overlays network logos (bugs) on the picture. If you use Hulu Desktop, you can get rid of them. Netflix is an infinitely better value overall- no annoyances of any kind!
Old 06-19-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Hulu Plus for a month as a free trial. I wouldn't pay monthly for the service.

The content is, well, not worth it for the hassle one has to deal with. As others mentioned, the content is mostly derived from television shows on NBC, CW, ABC and FOX. However, there's two major problems:
  1. Some shows only have either the past five episodes available for viewing or whatever was aired in the current season. A back catalog doesn't exist for watching.
  2. Some shows are only available through the web which defeats the point of being able to watch it on your television.
For the fact its easier to pirate the content available on Hulu Plus makes it harder to digest the concept and then pay a monthly fee for it. The commercials aren't even bothersome, it's the fact that I can't have content right there and right now. Netflix works because its instant gratification. I choose a title and its up and running in seconds. Netflix also works because of the constant updates Netflix makes to its service. More and more content on the service is becoming available in 1080p and 5.1 surround sound whereas that wasn't the norm a year or two ago.

Even with a lackluster catalog at times, Netflix's streaming service is worth the $7.99 I pay for it a month. Hulu's is not.

Hell, Amazon Prime's video service is better and now more easily accessible than Hulu Plus.
Old 06-19-12, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

No, not worth it.

If one of these services can push through a serious, constantly updated catalog, it'll be the evolution of television. I'd pay $75/mo for Netflix, if they offered every show imaginable. I don't even mind the way that streaming services charge $5-or-so to stream a movie for 24 or 48 hours.

I think that Netflix or Apple will be the guys to do it.
Old 06-19-12, 08:56 AM

I tried the free trial. I didn't know they had commercials. I cancelled and told them I'm not going to pay money AND watch no skip commercials.
Old 06-19-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm currently using their free month trial to get caught up on Raising Hope and Modern Family, since it's currently the only legal way to see the latest seasons of those shows. But once I'm done with those two shows, I don't really see myself continuing the subscription. If I'm paying a monthly fee, I expect no commercials!
Old 06-19-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the month trial and canceled right after.

Bottom line: I pay for a service and you give me commercials? Fuck you.
Old 06-19-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

It's worth it if you enjoy the Janus (read: Criterion) Collection of foreign/independent/art films. They have almost all of them. Worth $8/month for me and then some.
Old 06-19-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't believe in paying for FORCED advertisements.
Old 06-19-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I tried the free trial. I didn't know they had commercials. I cancelled and told them I'm not going to pay money AND watch no skip commercials.
Same here. I found it insufferable and will never pay for it.
Old 06-19-12, 12:39 PM

thank you all for your opinions
Old 06-19-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Totally worth a measly $7.99 even with short commercial breaks. Not all FOX shows have that delay either. I watch plenty of shows the next day from FOX: Bob's Burgers, Fringe (when it was on with the five episodes at a time), New Girl, Raising Hope, Master Chef. Plus, you get stuff like producer's cuts of some episodes, like Park's and Rec seems to have a few times a season. I think it's a great streaming service.
Old 06-19-12, 05:51 PM

When we had cable we enjoyed it until we got Dish. With only two tuners to work with we would have missed a lot of other shows if we were not able to watch on Hulu. Plus some of the other countries shows are pretty good as well. I think it is worth it. As far as I'm concerned I pay for satelite to get local channels and forced commercials when I watch shows live. So to me no different.
Old 06-19-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Plus I hear they have commercials during movies too, is that right? It's one thing to have them during shows that have designated breaks (even though I disagree with it being part of the pay system), but for a movie that's a lot worse.

I used the free trial to catch up on Parks and Rec, but that's about it.
Old 06-19-12, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It's worth it if you enjoy the Janus (read: Criterion) Collection of foreign/independent/art films. They have almost all of them. Worth $8/month for me and then some.
I just can't see this. These aren't popcorn movies that you could read the newspaper at the same time. They are usually great classics. And they should not be broken up in any way.

Last edited by Astrofan; 06-19-12 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

So what are the commercials? Whenever I've attempted to watch free Hulu, it's the same fucking commercial every break. Which is maddening in that you can't skip it. I'm curious if the pay version at least mixes them up & if it's populated by the usual over-advertisers (Geico/Progressive/etc) that shit up the basic cable channels.
Old 06-19-12, 06:45 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Plus I hear they have commercials during movies too, is that right?
The Criterion movies don't have any commercials.
Old 06-19-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I just can't see this. These aren't popcorn movies that you could read the newspaper at the same time. They are usually great classics. And they should not be broken up in any way.
They don't have commercials. Commercials are only for the network television fare.
Old 06-19-12, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
They don't have commercials. Commercials are only for the network television fare.
Ah, this changes everything. If you're paying for a uninterrupted movie service, like Netflix, then it becomes a judgment of price versus available titles. I can certainly see going with this.
Old 06-20-12, 09:05 AM

One of the best features of Hulu+ is that cancelling is so convenient. Unlike Netflix, they'll refund your unused days. So you can sign-up, watch all the stuff you want in a couple days, then cancel.
Old 06-20-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I did the month trial and canceled right after.

Bottom line: I pay for a service and you give me commercials? Fuck you.
Just like cable and Movies these days

I personally like hulu plus as I don't want to torrent shows, but I have my computer hooked up to my TV. If you don't want to see the ads, you can disable them through your browser.
Old 06-20-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Just like cable and Movies these days

Which you can FF through on a DVR...
Old 06-20-12, 01:21 PM

I don't hate all TV commercials. Some are entertaining. Movie trailers and previews for upcoming shows are useful.

But Hulu's ads are awful. And often you'll get the same lousy ad playing over and over again.