Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox problem diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox problem diagnosis

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem with my xbox 360.

When I turn it on with the controller, no picture or sound in output to my TV. The green ring on the controller flashes like it is not connected to the Xbox. I can eject the tray, but the Xbox does not actually do anything.

I get the same problem if I turn the xbox on with the button on the console (obviously minus the flashing green ring on the controller).

Pressing the power button does turn off the console.

Sometimes is works fine, but not always.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? This is a Xbox 360 slim, purchased about 6 months ago.

Thanks
Old 05-14-12, 08:02 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Xbox problem diagnosis

are you using HDMI? Have you tried a different output to make sure that is not the problem?

since you can't connect your controller you can't do a reset of the picture but in case you can use controller try this..

To reset the display settings of the Xbox 360 console to the default settings, follow these steps:
1.Remove any discs from the disc tray.
2.Turn the console off.
3.Turn the console on.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn the console on by using the Xbox Guide button on the controller.

Note Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller is the controller where the upper-left quadrant light is on.

4.As the console starts, press and hold the Y button, and then pull the right trigger at the same time. This causes the Xbox Dashboard to reset the display settings to the default settings and then automatically restarts the console. So it's OK when the Xbox 360 console restarts.

Also...try different output from you xbox...

Also, remove your hard drive if you have one and try turning it on...and connect to a controller..
Old 05-14-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Hopefully the "Y+RT" trick will work and get your video settings back to default. If not.....

Have you experienced any cutouts, picture freeze, weird colors and artifacts while playing games?
You said it works sometimes....like how?
Does the TV show getting a signal?
Might try unplugging the HDMI out of the 360, turn the TV on and see if it shows "No Signal Detected".
Old 05-14-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue.
Old 05-15-12, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys.

when I say it happens sometimes, well sometimes when I turn on the console it works, but other times it does not. I have had a couple of freezes while playing Skyrim, I'm wondering in this could be due to overheating or something just wearing out. The console is in a fairly open place, and sometimes when it doesn't work it is cold.

I don't think it is a HDMI handshaking issue as the controller is not connecting to the console which tells me the console is not completely on.

I plugged in my wired controller and it works now, but 10 minutes ago it did not with the wireless one. It now also works with the wireless controller.

I think I will talk to Microsoft as it should not be having issues when it is only 5 months old.