Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hellraiser III Unrated?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hellraiser III Unrated?

Old 05-09-12, 07:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Hellraiser III Unrated?

Does anyone know if there is a widescreen edition of Hellraiser III around? I can't seem to find one. I read that the "Special Edition" has no special features, AND is FS.
Old 05-09-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a search at amazon for hellraiser 3 and the second result says it is

http://www.amazon.com/Hellraiser-III...6577966&sr=8-2
Old 05-09-12, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I did a search at amazon for hellraiser 3 and the second result says it is

http://www.amazon.com/Hellraiser-III...6577966&sr=8-2
Thanks, don't know how I could've missed it. Now the question is, do the sellers have the proper edition? I've had problems with this before, to the extent that I avoid Amazon Marketplace.
Old 05-09-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have to contact them and ask. Also, don't think that a seller that does fulfillment by Amazon is any better. Amazon doesn't always ship the same item the seller shipped to them, so you can get the wrong thing or something in a different condition.
Old 05-09-12, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently. I've watched it a few months ago and it wasn't bad.

Late answer but I missed it until the spammer bumped the thread and had his post removed.
I have seen #4 (Bloodline) theatrical and workprint. 2 VERY different movies. It is not just additional scenes... Additional characters and - perhaps more importantly - the timeline of the movie is different. Considering that is what the movie is called, I can understand why Yaeger took his name off of it. The workprint scenes were never finished, and Yaeger wanted to do some more stuff until the studio took it over, sliced-n-diced and re-arranged things and it became an Alan Smithee film. #4 is the only one that I can watch multiple times. haven't seen many post #4 ones so can't comment on those. If there was a high quality finished workprint of #4, I would definitely get it. But doubt I will ever see it.

Then again, I tend to like #3-5 in a series better than the first....I know most people feel differently. To each their own, as they say!!

Last edited by Steve; 05-09-12 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 05:02 PM

I've only just discovered Bloodline on the Hellraiser 4-pack blu-ray, and thought it was really good. It was an interesting direction to go in. Did notice the Alan Smithee moniker.

Originally Posted by Steve
...and the #3 just seemed silly. CD Man?
I remember someone getting killed with a CD. I'm assuming it was at the hands of this dude?
Old 05-09-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Steve
I have seen #4 (Bloodline) theatrical and workprint. 2 VERY different movies. It is not just additional scenes... Additional characters and - perhaps more importantly - the timeline of the movie is different. Considering that is what the movie is called, I can understand why Yaeger took his name off of it. The workprint scenes were never finished, and Yaeger wanted to do some more stuff until the studio took it over, sliced-n-diced and re-arranged things and it became an Alan Smithee film. #4 is the only one that I can watch multiple times. I think #1 was a missed opportunity, I fell asleep during #2 (so there are - what? 4 demons guarding hell which is nothing more than a bunch of dusty rooms? that's okay since there seemed to be only 4 people in hell! zzzzz) and the #3 just seemed silly. CD Man? Camera man? ugh.... haven't seen many post #4 ones so can't comment on those. If there was a high quality finished workprint of #4, I would definitely get it. But doubt I will ever see it.
I ended up watching it shortly after that post and liked it. I also agree with you about the first 3. The first was decent but could have been better. Two seemed like riding the wave. 3 was the worst until Inferno came out.

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
I've only just discovered Bloodline on the Hellraiser 4-pack blu-ray, and thought it was really good. It was an interesting direction to go in. Did notice the Alan Smithee moniker.

I remember someone getting killed with a CD. I'm assuming it was at the hands of this dude?
CD Man was a DJ. It wouldn't have been as cool if he was Record Man, especially since records break easier. Nothing about the Cenobites makes any sense in that one.
Old 05-09-12, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up watching it shortly after that post and liked it. I also agree with you about the first 3. The first was decent but could have been better. Two seemed like riding the wave. 3 was the worst until Inferno came out.

CD Man was a DJ. It wouldn't have been as cool if he was Record Man, especially since records break easier. Nothing about the Cenobites makes any sense in that one.
Wow - I will never get used how fast people respond to these comments... I edited mine, because I really tend to like #3-5 in a series more than #1. Know that is atypical of a lot of people... On the whole, I think Barker created an incredible mythology that was just never realized - imho- in any of the films. Maybe that is why I like #4 so much.. Even in its cut state, it seemed to me to really embrace a mythology....not totally successful, mind you, but I really liked Angelique and the origin story..

That being said, I do find it strange that #3 is not given the same DVD/BD treatment as the others... the only ones I have seen are full screen versions.. That is nuts, imho, in this day and age....