The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Old 04-26-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-04-26

Concept:

"The Voice" debuts Tuesday, April 26 (9-11 p.m. ET) and will continue with new episodes through the end of June. On "The Voice," four famous musician coaches -- Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton -- will each select singers to mentor into artists during the blind auditions. Once they have their teams, the star coaches will bring in their personal songwriters, producers, and high-powered friends to help their teams evolve. Ultimately, America will decide which singer will be worthy of the grand prize. Carson Daly hosts the show's innovative format that features three stages of competition. The winner will be named "The Voice" -- and will receive the grand prize of a recording contract and $100,000.
The Executive Producer for this is Mark Burnett from Survivor. Just to warn you all. Each episode is 2 hours long. If your interesting in watching this, you may have some DVR conflicts with some other Tuesday shows coming back next week.

Here's a video that explains how this show works. It's a a very different concept compared to American Idol.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxOTc1Mw" width="512" height="354" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxOTc1Mw==/"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxOTc1Mw==/" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

Here's an 11 minute preview that aired last week on NBC:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyMTYzMA" width="512" height="354" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyMTYzMA==/"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyMTYzMA==/" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 04-26-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Two hours. Hmmm. NBC has some programming space to kill.
Old 04-26-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I've seen enough commercials for this... I might as well watch it.
Old 04-26-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Two hours. Hmmm. NBC has some programming space to kill.
Well, because Parenthood ended last week.
Old 04-26-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cee Lo is an instant channel changer... his music blows
Old 04-26-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by raven56706
Cee Lo is an instant channel changer... his music blows
He's not singing on this show. He's a coach/judge.
Old 04-26-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

Oh, is this on tonight? I think every gd channel has a commercial on for it. I saw The Food Network and ESPN advertising this. I refuse to watch this one out of principle.
Old 04-26-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
Oh, is this on tonight? I think every gd channel has a commercial on for it. I saw The Food Network and ESPN advertising this. I refuse to watch this one out of principle.
EVERY channel under the Universal umbrella has been! E! has been pummelling viewers with it for weeks!
Old 04-26-11, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Well I've seen enough commercials for this... I might as well watch it.
This comment would make Paul Reiser weep.
Old 04-26-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll probably watch part of this. The only one I don't care much for is Blake Shelton.
Old 04-26-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

What's this about? I don't think I've seen any previews for it...
Old 04-26-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think there is much of a show after they get past the initial "blind picking" aspect.
Old 04-26-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I don't think there is much of a show after they get past the initial "blind picking" aspect.
Yeah ... they're gonna milk it:

By now, Blake Shelton and his fellow celebrity coaches hopefully know all the rules of ‘The Voice,’ their new televised singing competition which premieres tonight on NBC. But, just in case you don’t know how this magic is all gonna shake out, we’re here to help.

According to Billboard, Shelton and a mixed bag of more pop-oriented singers — Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguilera and Adam Levine from Maroon 5 — are going to serve as coaches (not judges) for the amateur singers who are competing for a record contract and a $100,000 grand prize. They’ll each recruit an eight-member team based solely on the contestants’ voices — hence the name of the show. See, the coaches will be seated facing away from the hopefuls as they perform, so they can’t be biased by their looks or clothing.

If they like what they hear, the coaches hit a button and turn around, declaring their interest in mentoring that young singer. If more than one star chooses a singer, that lucky contestant gets to be fought over by millionaires, then gets to choose which team to join. In coming weeks, each coach will whittle their team down to a smaller unit by having members sing the same song to see who can continue battling for the prize.

Finally, the teams will be pitted against each other, and American television watchers get to help decide who wins the big prize. Along the way there should be special musical guests, or possibly even more team-ups from the unlikely coaches dream team (check out Shelton handling his duties on Gnarles Barkley’s ‘Crazy’).

We hear that country fans can expect to hear the eager contestants take their best shots at music from some of their favorite stars tonight, including Rascal Flatts and Faith Hill. We’re hoping Shelton drags his pop buddies into his world for at least one run at one of his songs somewhere down the line. You know Cee Lo’s gonna have one dandy of a western outfit set up for that one, right?
Old 04-26-11, 05:13 PM
ATX

they did a very good job being annoying promoting this shit

imma watch... but i tell you the premise seems stupid to me

i just wish people would come with something new...nbc came with the biggest loser, there was no other network show about weightloss.. and the show is successful

let american idol have the singing comps genre, come up with something else

and everything is prerecorded, right?
Old 04-26-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ATX
they did a very good job being annoying promoting this shit

imma watch... but i tell you the premise seems stupid to me

i just wish people would come with something new...nbc came with the biggest loser, there was no other network show about weightloss.. and the show is successful

let american idol have the singing comps genre, come up with something else

and everything is prerecorded, right?
yeah this is not live. Not sure if the later rounds will be live or if they will be doing the America's vote thing or not.
Old 04-26-11, 09:18 PM
ATX

Girl: "always being judged for my looks, yada..yada..blah, blah..."

Carson Daly: "That's why this show is so important..."
Old 04-26-11, 09:38 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I like this better than Idol. Carson Daly isn't needed though.
Old 04-26-11, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they feature Haislip's ass, it could do well.

"Now that we have heard from that douchebag from Maroon 5, let's see what Alison has to say as she swims in a sharktank...IN A BIKINI!"
Old 04-27-11, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Howiefan
I like this better than Idol. Carson Daly isn't needed though.
Agreed. I haven't watched one second of American Idol this year. Seems like that show has turned into the "let's see if we can find the next Bieber wannabe."

I only saw portions of The Voice, but it seemed okay. I liked the blind auditions. And, I liked how once the contestants were selected that the tables were turned with the contestants selecting a judge. It was interesting enough that I'll probably tune in next week. And, I'll watch mostly because of Christina Aguilera, which was the real reason why I initially tuned in.

I couldn't find anything else on, as the pickings on Tuesdays seem slim. If there was a decent drama on, I'd be watching that. But, there isn't.
Old 04-27-11, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The advertising for this show was so damn annoying and aggressive that I hope it fails miserably. Talk about shoving it down people's throats. From the few judges that I recognize in the promos, they have very little talent themselves and it's funny to know that they are supposed to be judging other people. Aguilera couldn't even remember the lyrics to the national anthem at the superbowl.
Old 04-27-11, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched this in spite of the advertising, which was tolerable at first... Which was three months ago. The past two weeks, it's been excruciating, NBC is truly clueless. Literally. They are the worst run company, the TV side of things at least, I've seen in a good long while. All their cable networks... They've run down the drain. But NBC proper, they have just demolished, and continue to do so. What a truly moronic company. They don't do anything right anymore. As bad as the publicity for The Event was over the summer, which was pretty damn bad if you recall, this was easily twice as bad. And The Event, for all the money they poured in advertising that, which must have been a small fortune, failed right out of the gate, and only got worse as the show proved to be a stinker. They clearly didn't learn their lesson from the Event, and thought ramming even more advertising down our throats was the reason Event failed, instead of people being so pissed off over seeing it so many times they didn't tune in out of spite.

But anyway, I actually enjoyed this. I haven't watched American Idol in years, since Taylor Hicks won. Don't watch a single other singing or dancing show either. But I tried this solely because of the talent they have as judges. I'm sorry, "coaches." Adam, Christina, Cee-Lo are all great, and Blake I'd never heard of, but he sounded like a pretty big country star. The premise sounded original, so I figured I would give it a shot, and I wasn't disappointed. The whole blind audition thing is original, neat, and it works. They have some decent enough talent. Most importantly, and this is important, I worship this show simply because we don't have "laugh at the morons, horrible singers" interspersed with the talent. I love the idea of these guys fighting over the talent and building their teams. I do wonder how much editing we are looking at. How many people don't get chosen for each one that does? Because they are either picking nearly everyone that auditions, which would suck, or they aren't showing the people that fail, which would be stupid.

I am not sure how the rest of the show will work once we get out of the team building process. This part works, it's original, and I enjoy it. When we get to the teams, and the coaching? I'm not sure how it's going to work out, how watchable it'll be. Then they cut the teams in half fairly quick? I'd like to see quite a bit of the coaching, as that does seem to be a fairly revolutionary idea, and would be fascinating to watch. But I'm afraid they'll gloss over that and skip right to the performances to cut folks, which would take away half the premise of the show. They get these four superstar artists, I'd love to watch as they coach young talent and give critiques, advice, mold them, maybe into totally new genres. That would be a show in and of itself, but it sounds like we skip right to the cuts pretty damn fast.

Then the Americas Choice thing? I've got a feeling that might be really, really lame. I'm not so sure that part of the show is going to work at all, but we shall see. For one thing, it destroys the concept of the "voice" without an image. That is the entire angle of the show. But more troublesome, I just don't know how the team aspect... Basically American Idol with four groups of four, will work with an America's Vote thing. I also wonder, going back a second, about the editing again. I find it odd everybody's all tied up at three a piece magically at the end of the episode. You'd think one guy might have one or none, someone else maybe up to five or six. The fact it's even, and was even pretty much the entire two episodes, makes me wonder if they are editing it for balance and not showing them in continuity, or they've got some kind of warning to the judges to pick someone so often and not fall behind, or if they get ahead as Christina did, stop them from keeping that pace and thus being full early on. I don't buy they just happen to be even, and were even all night, by chance.

One last comment to this unfortunately long post. Adam is going to kick some serious ass. He's not jumping the gun on so-so talent as the others are. He's not sticking with his genre as the others are. And when someone has some amazing talent, and everyone goes in, he makes it clear he desperately wants that person, which the others don't. He got, by far, the best three voices tonight. Those three blow everyone else out of the water. He's building an amazing team, has a great ear for talent, and sells himself extremely well. He does this with another two or three singers, and it won't even be a contest, he will win it hands down. Which, going back to cutting the teams in half, sucks for one premise of the show. One team gets the best of the best, is it remotely fair that they then get cut when the teams go down to four, when there are twelve other people that remain that are far below the vocal ability of the cut ones? The other teams should have the option to drop one of their members and pick up someone cut from another team. That's only fair, and makes a ton of sense, and would make for a more interesting and competitive show once it gets to that point. Okay, now I'm done.
Old 04-27-11, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

I simply resent NBC for promoting this so relentlessly that I hope it goes down in flames. I'm sure it did well last night... but over the long haul it'll fail.
Old 04-27-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fortunately, some voices can be stilled ...... over and out. Once was enough. Shoulda figured - it's NBC, after all, and the only thing they seem to be able to do anymore is promote a show.
Old 04-27-11, 08:47 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it, but I'm afraid the rounds after the blind auditions just won't be all that interesting. By the end it just sounds like a ripoff of the X-Factor concept with the mentor's teams, although they were smart enough to beat Simon to the punch stateside with that element.
Old 04-27-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I liked this as well. I must have missed the promo blitz (thanks DVR) so it was pretty fresh to me. The judges have a good chemistry & bring a lot of star power. And as someone else pointed out, we don't have to sit throught the buffoons like on Idol auditons.

Maybe not eveyone's cup of tea, but I'd rather watch this than yet another show about murder solving or wisecracking lawyers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.