Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Cruise as Van Helsing in yet another reboot?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-03-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

from tgdaily.com:

Posted on May 3, 2012 - 16:55 by David Konow

The screenwriters from Team Abrams have been doing very well for themselves these days.

By Team Abrams, I mean the writers who came up working with JJ Abrams on Alias and Lost, and have gone to to really big stuff in Hollywood. Damon Lindelof, co-creator of Lost, has Prometheus coming up in June, and Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci have written the Transformers films, as well as the Abrams Star Trek flicks, Cowboys and Aliens, and more.

Kurtzman and Orci have been setting up a number of new projects lately, including an adaptation of Anne Rice's The Body Thief, which they'll be producing, along with a reboot of the current Mummy series and Van Helsing.

Yes, both franchises that were launched by director Steven Somers are coming back with the help of Kurtzman and Orci, and Tom Cruise is coming along to play Van Helsing himself.

This is part of Kurtzman and Orci's production deal at Universal, and as Collider tells us, Tom Cruise will be playing the famous monster hunter, and will co-produce as well. As you may recall, Cruise was going to star in Guilermo Del Toro's dream project, At the Mountains of Madness at Universal, because the budget would have been huge for a horror film, and for that price, the studio wanted a PG-13 rating, which Del Toro couldn't guaruntee.

In the horror realm, you would think The Mummy and Van Helsing would be a safer bet, but as much as those films made a lot of money, they were pretty crapola, and had way too much wall to wall CGI. What we're trying to say is this leaves the work of Cruise, Kurtzman, Orci cut out for them, because if they're going to bring these franchises back, they should be much better than the originals.

Being a fan of the classic Universal monster flicks, I loved when they did the "monster rally" films in the '40s when they brought all of them together in House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula, my personal favorite monster mash, and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Doing an old fashioned, Universal style film today could be a lot of fun today in the right hands, so here's hoping this Hollywood power tag-team can pull it together.

BTW, Kurtzman and Orci also have another big flick on their dance cards, the sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man, which already got the greenlight from Sony before the first installment of the rebooted franchise comes out on July 3.

The second Spider-Man flick is slated for a May 2, 2014 release, and production is scheduled to begin in the first quarter of 2013. James Vanderbilt (Zodiac) wrote the first draft of the script, and Kurtzman and Orci are being called in to re-write the screenplay before production is ready to roll.
Old 05-04-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Tom Cruise as Van Helsing in yet another reboot?

Cruise? Team Abrams? My interest is piqued.
Old 05-04-12, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I'm interested. But Cruise is too young for Van Helsing. Unless they're going for the action hero vibe from the last movie. That or a prequel that ends with an epilogue of an older Van Helsing being asked to consult with a strange medical case.
Old 05-04-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh. They REALLY need to stop rebooting movies/series that have been released in the past 10-15 years. So stupid.
Old 05-04-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I think they should remake Dracula instead, with Cruise in that role. And Jason Statham should play Van Helsing opposite him.
Old 05-04-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the utmost confidence that - at the least - there's no way this can be a bigger piece of shit than Jackman's Van Helsing.
Old 05-04-12, 01:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm still pissed about the 1931 Dracula reboot.
Old 05-06-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

As long as they don't make Van Helsing look like Solomon Kane appearance wise, I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-06-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm interested. But Cruise is too young for Van Helsing. Unless they're going for the action hero vibe from the last movie. That or a prequel that ends with an epilogue of an older Van Helsing being asked to consult with a strange medical case.
Cruise will be 50 in July...how old does Van Helsing need to be? Harrison Ford age?

Actually, I'd prefer a Van Helsing that's less superhero than the Hugh Jackman version...but with these guys involved, I'm sure it will be more like the Hugh Jackman version than the Anthony Hopkins one.
Old 05-07-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Van Helsing I can understand. That movie was eminently forgettable. But The Mummy? Isn't it a little soon to be rebooting that? I understand the desire for enduring franchises, but in this case, they would be better off letting it sit a little while, developing new franchises, then bring it back when the last one isn't still fresh in people's memories.
Old 05-07-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Seriously, who's wanting another Van Helsing? I can't believe there aren't a million other properties out there with a lot more interest.

I mean goddammit, make a Rainbow Six movie instead. Anything but a property no one wanted the first time.
Old 05-07-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

The only Van Helsing movie I want to see is Jason Segel's Dracula's Lament.
Old 05-07-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I have the utmost confidence that - at the least - there's no way this can be a bigger piece of shit than Jackman's Van Helsing.
This is the kind of movie that SHOULD be rebooted rather than a good, successful movie.

I hope this is successful so the studios might focus on redoing crappy films. No where to go but up, right? heh.
Old 05-07-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
He's not that much younger than Anthony Hopkins was when he played Van Helsing in Dracula.

Of course, Cruise gives off a much younger vibe than Hopkins ever has.
Old 05-07-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

How old was Peter Cushing when he first played Van Helsing? That was a good 20 years before Star Wars came out. I'm sure Cruise is fine.
Old 05-07-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
How old was Peter Cushing when he first played Van Helsing? That was a good 20 years before Star Wars came out. I'm sure Cruise is fine.
Cushing was about 45 or 46. Cruise is older than that now, but Cushing had a certain gravitas that Cruise may not yet have.
Old 05-07-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

No Kate Beckinsale in skintight leather = no sale