Free Comic Book Day May 5, 2012

Old 01-31-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Free Comic Book Day May 5, 2012

http://www.freecomicbookday.com

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home...ticleID=117664

DC Announces Contents for DC Comics - The New 52 FCBD Edition

Free Comic Book Day 2012 is Saturday, May 5, but you don't have to wait four months to learn what's inside DC Comics - The New 52 Free Comic Book Day Edition.

Featuring art by legendary illustrator Jim Lee and other top talents, DC Comics - The New 52 FCBD Edition will include a new story by New York Times bestselling writer Geoff Johns.

There will also be preview material from DC Comics - The New 52 "Second Wave" titles, including Batman Incorporated, Dial H, Earth 2, G.I. Combat, The Ravagers and Worlds' Finest.

But that's not all; there are still more surprises to come. Stay tuned to for details!

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981

Old 01-31-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Free Comic Book Day May 5, 2012

Looking forward to Transformers 80.5
Old 03-02-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777
I didn't realize it at the time, but this is actually Star Wars Serenity--nerdgasm alert!

Publisher: DARK HORSE
(W) Zack Whedon (A) Fábio Moon, Christian Dalla Vecchia (CA) Adam Hughes, Daniel Dos Santos
(W) Zack Whedon
(A) Fábio Moon, Christian Dalla Vecchia
(C/A) Adam Hughes, Daniel Dos Santos
Han Solo and Chewbacca have a falling-out after a deal with a shady customer goes bad. When the client gets designs on the Millennium Falcon, Han and Chewie present a united front that can't be beat! "Mal" Reynolds, captain of the outlaw vessel Serenity, is no stranger to jobs gone wrong. But when the chips are down, he's able to rely on an amazing, odd, and diversely talented crew for help! Two great space epics in one issue!
Old 03-03-12, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

For my money, you are out of your mind if you have an opportunity to pick this one up and pass on it:
MOUSE GUARD, LABYRINTH AND OTHER STORIES
Original Graphic Novel Hardcover
2012 Free Comic Book Day
Retail Price: Free
Page Count: 48 pages
Format: Hardcover with no dust jacket (paper over board), 6” x 9”, full color
UPC: 811514010689 00311

Written by Jeremy Bastian, Nate Cosby, Royden Lepp, Jim McCann, Ted Naifeh and David Petersen
Illustrated by Jeremy Bastian, Chris Eliopoulos, Cory Godbey, Janet Lee, Royden Lepp and David Petersen
Cover by David Petersen

This Free Comic Book Day, Archaia offers readers the chance to experience history in the making with a FREE, gorgeous, 48-page, 6” x 9” full color hardcover original graphic novel featuring all-new material! David Petersen returns with an all-new Mouse Guard tale that’s guaranteed to tug at your heartstrings! Lose yourself once again in Jim Henson’s amazing world of Labyrinth, featuring a fantastical story from Eisner Award nominee Ted Naifeh (Courtney Crumrin) and Cory Godbey (Fraggle Rock). Get a new perspective on Jet Jones in Royden Lepp’s critically acclaimed Rust, with a short story seen through the eyes of younger brother Oswald Taylor. Jeremy Bastian’s acclaimed Cursed Pirate Girl hits the high seas in this whimsical, swashbuckling tale of wonderland journeys and unimaginable dangers. Nate Cosby (Pigs) and Chris Eliopoulos (Franklin Richards) present Cow Boy, a comedy/western that tells the tale of a young bounty hunter determined to send his entire outlaw family to jail. And Jim McCann and Janet Lee follow up their Eisner Award-winning Return of the Dapper Men with an all-new short story that leads into the upcoming sequel, Time of the Dapper Men. Witness the origin of a new, major character! And…the return of 41?!
Old 03-04-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
For my money, you are out of your mind if you have an opportunity to pick this one up and pass on it:
Only if you are into that type of story. A hardcover just to get a hardcover is pointless.
Old 03-04-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

I'm in for the Serenity and Buffy books.
Old 03-04-12, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Only if you are into that type of story. A hardcover just to get a hardcover is pointless.
I agree, but i wasnt calling it out for the format, but the ontent. Note that it's not one story, it's six, from some really outstanding creators. Mouse Guard, Cursed Pirate Girl, and Dapper Men are all amazing, and given Archaia's track record, I'm sure the other stories will be just as entertaining.
Old 04-28-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

One week to go (happens the day after The Avengers opens, if that helps )

Old 04-28-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering hitting up a local shop really early to get a bag full of a bunch of free stuff and tickets to the Avengers movie.
Old 04-28-12, 11:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Will any of these be available on Comixology?
Old 04-28-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
Will any of these be available on Comixology?
I've seen a lot of FCBD issues there so probably eventually. I doubt there'll be there right away, though, since the objective of the event is to promote LCS.
Old 05-04-12, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow is the day.
Old 05-04-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I got my FCBD stuff early, and I was just about to post that the Mouseguard one is awesome, but I see that it's already been posted...
Old 05-04-12, 01:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

My local store only gives out two free comics per person. Anyone know an online way to order more or even all of them?
Old 05-04-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
My local store only gives out two free comics per person. Anyone know an online way to order more or even all of them?
Have you asked your local store about purchasing additional titles? They get them *very* inexpensively and I'd think they would be willing to actually sell them to you. Of course you might have to wait until the end of the day and settle for the dregs - but it might be worth asking anyway.

The store here limits you to 4 *but* for every $10 in purchases you can add an additional 4. They also discount shelf titles, TPB, figures, clicks, games, just about everything in the store to some extent. I know that my currently planned purchase will get me an additional 8 titles for sure and I'll be taking both grand kids (of course they'll get what they want). I'm just hoping I get there early enough for a copy of Mouse Guard. I already know it's *very* limited here but I really don't want to stand around waiting for the store to open.
Old 05-04-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Midtown seems to suggest that they'll have some available online:

Midtown Comics celebrates Free Comic Book Day, on Saturday, May 5th, by offering free new comics including every title from every publisher participating in this event. Some of the hottest titles from Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Dark Horse and Image Comics will be available with no purchase required, in-store and online while supplies last.

Though I would assume that they'd charge shipping. Here's the link:

http://blog.midtowncomics.com/free-c...n-comics/5297/
Old 05-04-12, 05:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

^ Thanks all! I ended up finding that Mile High was having a deal where if you order $210 worth of stuff you get all 42 of the 2012 FCBD books free. They normally have pretty high prices on stuff, but have a 50% off HC and TPB sale this weekend, and I was able to find a bunch of stuff.

This saves me from what I would have done: spend the entire day and $50 worth of gas driving around to every DC area comic store trying to score one of everything.

I'll go to my two local stores and enjoy whatever they have. Last year I met Marc Hempel and Mark Wheately.
Old 05-04-12, 11:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are people getting the comics early?
Old 05-04-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The comics for FCBD arrived over the past two to three weeks. The stores have had them for awhile. I guess if you're chummy, you can grab early copies.

My regular shop is only giving out 2 titles per person. There's a store in Pasadena that let's you have 10 so I'll probably hit there before heading to 4 Color Fantasies in Rancho to join the festivities there.

Just to note - I hate stores that stamp their comics with the name and address of the store. I know that's why that blank space is there but as a neurotic collector, I can't deal with that. There's only a few stores (that I know of) in LA that don't stamp their comics. 4 Color Fantasies stamps which is why I'll only partake in their free hot dogs and nachos.
Old 05-05-12, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The comics for FCBD arrived over the past two to three weeks. The stores have had them for awhile. I guess if you're chummy, you can grab early copies.
Yeah, it depends on the store, but I've had situations where, since I spent so much every month, the store had me write up a FCBD pull list. They ordered all the titles on it, even the ones that they weren't planning on ordering at all and pulled them all as they came in. It was no problem if I wanted to get them early.

Some people might say that that was unfair, but since I let them know when the pre-order lists came out (January or February) then they wound up ordering stuff like Mouse Guard or Muppets that they wouldn't have ordered unless I'd asked. I got one copy of each, but that meant that there were nine other copies that were available for other people.
Old 05-05-12, 12:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Humanoids has released their free comic online: http://www.humanoids.com/ibd/21
Old 05-05-12, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting ready to leave with a friend and wait for a couple hours. The store we're going to has blow out deals and sidewalk sales and gives over $100 worth of free merch to the first 50 people in line. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-05-12, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
If that's the case, I'm surprised that the scanners haven't gotten ahold of them yet.

I've read rumors that some of the more prolific scanners work in stores or have access to their stock and scan the comics on Tuesdays when the stores get them and then flood them online the next day.
Old 05-05-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

^ Thanks all! I ended up finding that Mile High was having a deal where if you order $210 worth of stuff you get all 42 of the 2012 FCBD books free. They normally have pretty high prices on stuff, but have a 50% off HC and TPB sale this weekend, and I was able to find a bunch of stuff.

This saves me from what I would have done: spend the entire day and $50 worth of gas driving around to every DC area comic store trying to score one of everything.

I'll go to my two local stores and enjoy whatever they have. Last year I met Marc Hempel and Mark Wheately.
How did you add those FCBD comics to your order? I don't see anything on the product pages of any of those for adding to the order and their e-mail doesn't seem to specify the process. Just that it has to be put in by Saturday. (Or did they mean before Saturday and not before the end of Saturday?)
Old 05-05-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to my store a little after opening with my daughter, they didn't have much for restrictions but we were able to get what we wanted, even though we were at the end of a pretty big line. I forgot there was a Dune one I was looking for, so I might go to a different one later to see.

My daughter was being very selective and the owner was encouraging her to take everything because it was free. It was nice to see quite a lot of other little kids there too.

Last edited by starman9000; 05-05-12 at 06:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.