Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wings (1927) Back on the Big Screen on May 2nd

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-29-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Century/Cinemark theaters is playing Wings in Century XD digital projection this Wednesday.

http://centurytheaters.com/movie-det...?node_id=62507

It's part of a "Reel Classics" series so it looks like they may be playing other older films in the future. I've never seen a silent film in theaters, so this could be fun.
Old 04-29-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Re: Wings (1927) Back on the Big Screen on May 2nd

It'll be good to revisit Joe, Brian, Lowell and the gang!
Old 04-29-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It'll be good to revisit Joe, Brian, Lowell and the gang!
You mean these guys?

Old 04-29-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was like the last "great" film that needed a DVD release. Happy to see we're treated to not just a DVD/Blu-ray but a theatrical release as well.
Old 04-29-12, 07:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to give Century/Cinemark some great credit here, but come on Regal, AMC or any other chain that could benefit from showing some classic movies on the big screen. The latest issue of American Cinematographer has an article on the restoration.
Old 04-29-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This was like the last "great" film that needed a DVD release. Happy to see we're treated to not just a DVD/Blu-ray but a theatrical release as well.
I can't agree with the first part - I can think of dozens of widely acknowledged masterpieces (and hundreds more that are less known but also great) that still aren't available on DVD (see: The Big Parade, The Crowd, Greed, The Wind - just to name some other American silent masterpieces) - but I agree that it is awesome to get both a high quality Blu-ray and a theatrical re-release for this movie.

For some reason, in the past few months several of my local multiplexes have had more classical movie screenings than usual. This year alone they've had week long screenings of Ben-Hur and The Godfather, along with several "one day only" screenings of other classics. Additionally, for the past year the local arthouse has been doing weekly screenings of classic films (using actual film prints rather than digital copies.) I don't know how successful they've been for the theaters, but, suffice it to say, I'll be really happy if thr trend continues. I already own most of the movies on DVD, but it's still nice to see them with an audience and on a big screen.
Old 04-29-12, 09:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds great. I wish they showed classic films in my part of the world.
Old 04-29-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
I can't agree with the first part - I can think of dozens of widely acknowledged masterpieces (and hundreds more that are less known but also great) that still aren't available on DVD (see: The Big Parade, The Crowd, Greed, The Wind - just to name some other American silent masterpieces) - but I agree that it is awesome to get both a high quality Blu-ray and a theatrical re-release for this movie.

For some reason, in the past few months several of my local multiplexes have had more classical movie screenings than usual. This year alone they've had week long screenings of Ben-Hur and The Godfather, along with several "one day only" screenings of other classics. Additionally, for the past year the local arthouse has been doing weekly screenings of classic films (using actual film prints rather than digital copies.) I don't know how successful they've been for the theaters, but, suffice it to say, I'll be really happy if thr trend continues. I already own most of the movies on DVD, but it's still nice to see them with an audience and on a big screen.
Fair enough.
Old 04-30-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 cinemarks in my area but none of them appear to be showing it.
Old 04-30-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Awesome, this will be playing here.
Old 05-02-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

We really enjoyed ourselves. The restoration looked good, and the soundtrack was great. The combat scenes were awesome.

Thanks for the heads-up!