Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BEWARE DVD Pacific!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

BEWARE DVD Pacific!

Old 04-01-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BEWARE DVD Pacific!

I'm sure countless people have used DVD Pacific without a problem, but unfortunately I am not one of them.

I bought one DVD from them and used a new credit card that I had never used for ANYTHING else at any time. The order was processed and the DVD shipped, but today I got a call from the Capital One Fraud Department regarding all sorts of questionable charges on my card. I had not used the card for anything besides this single purchase so none of these charges were authorized by me. Thankfully they were flagged for fraud and were declined on the spot.

This begs the question: How could anyone have had access to this specific credit card number if it wasn't for someone at DVD Pacific or from someone hacking their site? Either way, I don't think I will be doing business with them again.
Old 04-01-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: BEWARE DVD Pacific!

I was about to order from them but in thier FAQs, they state they can ask for a credit card statement. I don't care how low the prices are, I am not providing that to anyone not even my bank.
Old 04-01-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

You'd be surprised how often these things happen. At work, we have a couple of cards in certain key peoples names on the company account. Most of the time, we need to close cards because of fraud. Several times, we have gotten fraud alerts on newly issued cards before they are even activated. IE we dont even have the new carde in our posession yet, much less had the chance to use it.
Old 04-01-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
You'd be surprised how often these things happen. At work, we have a couple of cards in certain key peoples names on the company account. Most of the time, we need to close cards because of fraud. Several times, we have gotten fraud alerts on newly issued cards before they are even activated. IE we dont even have the new carde in our posession yet, much less had the chance to use it.
Wow. My first reaction is to say UNBELIEVABLE, but then again, it's gotten to the point where virtually nothing is unbelievable anymore.
Old 04-01-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had fraudulent charges YEARS ago due to a single purchase on DVD Pacific's website. Quite a few DVDtalkers were caught up in it.

Can't believe this is still occurring....

Quite a pain in the ass canceling the card which broke auto pay on bills and pre-orders on other websites.

I would steer clear of these guys.
Old 04-02-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The "official" response below. Now where did I put that grain of salt?

Hello,

Please know our security is in full compliance with ALL major credit cards.

www.dvdpacific.com is tested quarterly to ensure that high security standards are maintained.

In fact our security certification can be viewed at all times from any page on the website.

Perhaps maybe it is your own system that has been compromised as DVD Pacific has not. You are the ONLY person to email regarding this; I believe it is safe to say if It was even possible for us to have been compromised we would have more reports from customers coming in.

Regards,

Jessica
DVD PACIFIC

My response:

Jessica,

Someone else posted on the same thread saying the exact same thing happened to him with DVD Pacific previously. He also stated that at that time there was a larger discussion on DVD TALK regarding the fallibility of your security.

As for no one else contacting you, it's likely that few have used credit cards with you that had no other charges on them, as I did. Therefore it's possible that their security was breached, but they had no way of tracing it back as I did since their card was used in various places.

As no other cards I own have been compromised in such a way, I have to assume that the problem is in your system and not mine. At least until I am presented with further evidence to suggest otherwise.

The point is not to debate this with you, it happened and each of us can spin it any way we like. For me the bottom line is that I have not enjoyed my earlier experiences with DVD Pacific regarding backorders and faulty communication. This first purchase has seemingly exacerbated the situation and it's only fair that I choose not to continue my business with you and to spread the word of my dissatisfaction, so others can learn of my experience and deduce as they see fit.

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 04-02-09 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Interesting. I have had a couple of credit card breaches in recent months. I wonder if they're related to DVD Pacific. Only the first one, in December, could have been, because I hadn't yet given my new card number to Pacific when the second one arose. Lotsa fucking scam artist criminals out there, especially now with the economy.
Old 04-05-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is unfortunate news or speculation. But I can truly understand where the concern is coming from. Does one compromise their credit line for a good deal?

That I can't answer. It would be disconcerting if DVDPacific really is capable of practices such as claimed.

I've had my credit line breached twice over the last 5 years, but nothing leads me to believe the cause was DVDPacific. And I have placed at least a dozen or more orders with this group over the years.

If you want serious protection, monitor your credit cards statements regularly ..especially these days when "cyber" crimes of this nature are up. It's almost stupid not to. It's difficult to always locate the true source behind the problems, even though the most likely can be pinpointed. Monitor. And if possible, as most banks allow for this, set up an alert system. If a charge is made for more than the set dollar amount then an email is sent out by the bank alerting the account owner to the activity. Easily solved. If something suspicious is discovered report it immediately. You might be surprised how willing the banks are to compensate for this type of activity before it becomes a real problem.

I have not once been held accountable for any erroneous charges due to theft. It's the bank's responsibility (sadly) not yours (more sadly ).

Be proactive not stupid.
Old 04-05-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q

I've had my credit line breached twice over the last 5 years, but nothing leads me to believe the cause was DVDPacific. And I have placed at least a dozen or more orders with this group over the years.
DVDPacific actually did admit to a security breach a few years ago. It looks like that they still haven't gotten their act together.
Old 04-06-09, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

kinda ot but kinda not, what i find interesting is that credit card institutions actually do anything and everything possible to make using a credit card easy. as a result, this is prolly one main reason why security is so easily and breached on a large scale. and that, in turn, is a main reason why banks do not hold cardholders liable in most cases. its just a kinda weird kind of circle imho. weird.
Old 04-06-09, 01:27 PM

I have been shopping with DVD Pacific for a number of years now and placed I don't know how many orders and always been happy with their service and I did get caught in the card breach dating back about 5 years ago now I am guessing but have not had a single problem since or heard of anyone else either for that matter.

I sympathise with you Professor Echo as know how frustrating an occurrence it can be but seems fortunate in some respects that it was a new card and didn't have much attached to it in the way of auto billing and payments etc. Then it gets even more annoying. Seems to me though that your issue doesn't stem from DVD Pacific as they appear to have been rock solid in terms of security since their previous problem in my experience.

My bank recently advised me of fraud on one of my cards and was an issue not unlike JJcool mentioned so it does require all of us to be more vigilant individually as visitor Q states. Just a sign of the times but if a company is hacked then typically there is a flood of similar activity on everyone's cards and that isn't the case here it would appear fortunately.
Old 04-06-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's interesting, the bank revealed the likely cause for the red flags on their end was that the perp started out charging things for a dollar here and a dollar there. She told me that's how they check to see if they can get away with using the card before they try to get something more expensive. When the bank sees those incremental charges they get suspicious. The person did about four of those small charges and two were declined.

They then tried to buy something from an online computer store for $200 and that was also declined. The bank told me it was most likely declined because of the earlier red flags for the small charges and also because the person most likely didn't have the three digit security code from the back of the card.

Interestingly, when I made my purchase with DVD Pacific I was not asked for that code which only furthers my suspicion that the breach lies at their doorstep.
Old 04-06-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

All this talk, begs the question of "Who actually uses the three digit code on the back of a credit card?" I just checked my Amazon account, and there is no mention of it on my payment screens, as well as no mention of it as far as I can tell when I add a credit card to the site. The only place I remember putting in the three digit code online, is at woot.
Old 04-06-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Amazon.com asks for the security code when you click Place Order.

Wal-Mart.com and BestBuy.com will not allow you input a credit card/debit card without having that number handy. If you saved the information then you still need to enter the security code before confirming the payment type.

I use FamilyVideo.com and they do the same thing. My credit card is stored but before I can click past the payment type screen, I need to enter my security code.

I like what eThaiCD.com and CDWow.com do. None of the credit card information is stored. You have to input the entire number plus code, name, and billing address in order to complete the sale.
Old 04-06-09, 11:06 PM

I haven't ordered anything from them recently, but I never had a problem with any purchases from them in the past.

I would suggest you look into credit cards which offer a one time use, virtual account number. That way you can create a unique account number for each purchase and set an amount limit and expiration date. That means once you make your purchase, the account number deactivates and is worthless.
Old 04-22-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Placed an order for some Criterions 9 days ago, and still haven't shipped. Anyone else getting their orders from them recently?
Old 12-29-09, 11:04 AM

On December 2. i ordered Terminator Salvation on BR and it was shipped the same day, but I still havent recieved. When I contacted DVD Pacific they just stated that it was because of the holiday season, but it is now December 29., and still no movie...

I have ordered movies from the US in now several years, and this is by far the slowest shipping I have ever experienced. And yes, I paid for shipping by air, and the last time I checked, it didnt take almost a month to fly from the US to Denmark.

I will never buy anything from them again!
Old 12-30-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could be DVD Pacific but have you checked your home computer for a keylogger program lately? As you may know they can lie surreptitiously in your systems until you hit all the correct credit card key numbers w/exp date and three security code number on the back then all hell breaks loose with charges.

Happened to me with some Russian bandits. My cc company noticed it, reversed all the charges then sent a new card.

Last edited by kayak99; 12-30-09 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Corrected for Sir Peepers
Old 12-30-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Several times, we have gotten fraud alerts on newly issued cards before they are even activated. IE we dont even have the new carde in our posession yet, much less had the chance to use it.
I was going to mention this. I had a card sealed in the envelope it came in, for a couple of years. Then, a year ago actually, my wife noticed a money transfer to Mexico.

This was with Chase. I called up and eventually I got them to send me the paperwork about the charge. Then I called back the same day to just cancel the card. I figured since I had this problem and didn't use the card, I might as well cancel. I found it laughable when the CS rep tried to talk me into keeping the card, with one of the reasons being their security

Ended up getting paperwork for disputing a charge and not fraud. Had to call a few more times, got hung up on once. Got the paperwork, haven't heard from them since, so I guess it's done.

Originally Posted by kayak99
Could be DVD Pacific but have you checked your home computer for a keylogger program lately? As you may know they can lie dormant in your systems until you hit all the correct credit card key numbers w/exp date and three security code number on the back then all hell breaks loose with charges.
It couldn't be dormant if it was waiting for numbers to be entered, otherwise it would never know or even log keys at all.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 12-30-09 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-30-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

It couldn't be dormant if it was waiting for numbers to be entered, otherwise it would never know or even log keys at all.
Okay, bad choice of the word dormant Sir Peepers. I should have used the word surreptitiously but I didn't want to check my spelling lest awakening the spelling nazis.
Old 12-30-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kayak99
Okay, bad choice of the word dormant Sir Peepers. I should have used the word surreptitiously but I didn't want to check my spelling lest awakening the spelling nazis.
Not a spelling nazi, just a programmer.

And that's Mister to you. I don't get knighted until the end of the week.
Old 12-30-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Ended up getting paperwork for disputing a charge and not fraud. Had to call a few more times, got hung up on once. Got the paperwork, haven't heard from them since, so I guess it's done.
Coming from a person who has worked fraud/ID theft investigations: DO NOT ASSUME it is done. It is not done until you have a letter in hand from Chase bank stating 1.) the charge has been properly investigated, 2.) you are not being held responsible for the charges, and 3.) they have notifed the major credit bureaus so that there will be NO damage to your credit report as a result of this incident.

I cannot begin to count the number of people who would contact my office stating that they assumed it was taken care of ... most of these people either did not complete the information we requested or did not return anything at all. It is not the creditor's job to keep pestering you until the issue is resolved -- YOU are the victim, not them.

Get on the phone tomorrow and make sure it is resolved ... call them every day until you have that letter in hand. Then keep that letter -- you may need it if this does show up on your credit report OR if you find other accounts opened in you name.

Additionally, I would recommend filing a police report for identity theft. Odds are the police will not investigate, but the first thing that we would always ask for is a police report to document that the victim took action when he/she learned about the debt.
Old 12-30-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
The "official" response below. Now where did I put that grain of salt?

Hello,

Please know our security is in full compliance with ALL major credit cards.

www.dvdpacific.com is tested quarterly to ensure that high security standards are maintained.

In fact our security certification can be viewed at all times from any page on the website.

Perhaps maybe it is your own system that has been compromised as DVD Pacific has not. You are the ONLY person to email regarding this; I believe it is safe to say if It was even possible for us to have been compromised we would have more reports from customers coming in.

Regards,

Jessica
DVD PACIFIC
What a completely unprofessional response! Regardless of anything else, this alone would prevent me from ordering from them.
Old 07-04-11, 04:03 PM

I've been using dvdpacific for years (dozens and dozens of orders for hundreds of dollars), and have never had even one problem with credit card fraud, overbilling, and the like. There have been a couple of times when a parcel was a long time coming, and dvdpacific sent me a replacement with no questions asked. Once I got the original parcel after, so I ended up with two copies for the price of one. Few online stores will do that. Dvdpacific gets five stars from me, no question. Their prices are by far the best more than 90% of the time - cheaper than local stores or Canadian online stores like amazon.ca, even with shipping added. I've saved hundreds of dollars by shopping with dvdpacific. They have my COMPLETE trust.
Old 07-04-11, 04:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Good to know, since it's been an issue of great debate over the past couple of years.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.